Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 Full story: CNN 32,004

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Full Story

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#19794 Jan 24, 2013
Protester wrote:
Also, proof that 3 illustrations copied by Joseph Smith were copied from the ĎBook of the Deadí and were copied from illustrations of an Egyptian god, a god of the underworld, and one that Smith claimed was Abraham lecturing on astronomy(?) Really?
@45-55 - different conclusions from Mormons.
(next post)
I have a question. Which copy of the "Book of the Dead" are you claiming Smith had access to in 1835 in which he looked through and copied these three illustrations that he claimed came from scrolls he bought from a guy selling mummies?

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#19795 Jan 24, 2013
Protester wrote:
They say the plates were returned to the angel Moroni, but we still have the Dead Sea Scrolls because true Christianity is not a false religion built on lies, that canít stand up to examination.
If itís not from God, it can only be inspired by Satan.
Whether Mormonism is true or false is a matter of opinion, just like the belief that Jesus is God and the Jews didn't recognize him is a matter of opinion to.
Any way, the dead sea scrolls are copies of other copies. The Dead sea scrolls lay buried for some 1800 years before being found that would match other ancient writings in the OT.
So the BOM has only been around for shy of 200 years. And you're pretty confident that nothing hidden in the ground on the Americas will never be found that might validate one or more things in the BOM? What, do you have a seer stone like Smith to make that judgement?:)

“Protest / support the marchers”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#19796 Jan 25, 2013
I'm an Ex-Mormon
(next post)

Location hidden

#19797 Jan 25, 2013

Location hidden

#19798 Jan 25, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a question. Which copy of the "Book of the Dead" are you claiming Smith had access to in 1835 in which he looked through and copied these three illustrations that he claimed came from scrolls he bought from a guy selling mummies?
Why didn't you check out the link?

Location hidden

#19799 Jan 25, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether Mormonism is true or false is a matter of opinion, just like the belief that Jesus is God and the Jews didn't recognize him is a matter of opinion to.
Any way, the dead sea scrolls are copies of other copies. The Dead sea scrolls lay buried for some 1800 years before being found that would match other ancient writings in the OT.
So the BOM has only been around for shy of 200 years. And you're pretty confident that nothing hidden in the ground on the Americas will never be found that might validate one or more things in the BOM? What, do you have a seer stone like Smith to make that judgement?:)
Your statement that religions, Jesus as God, etc. ALL being a matter of opinion is ridiculous. It also means that no religion is legitimate.
The reality is that only the one true faith can be proven right, and all others can be proven to be frauds.
The fact is that Mormonism is such an outrageous fraud that those who follow it WANT TO BE DECEIVED, either by accepting the lies and making stuff up or by being too gutless to check out the links and face reality.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#19804 Jan 26, 2013
Protester wrote:
<quoted text>
Your statement that religions, Jesus as God, etc. ALL being a matter of opinion is ridiculous. It also means that no religion is legitimate.
The reality is that only the one true faith can be proven right, and all others can be proven to be frauds.
The fact is that Mormonism is such an outrageous fraud that those who follow it WANT TO BE DECEIVED, either by accepting the lies and making stuff up or by being too gutless to check out the links and face reality.
So what do you believe?
The Watcher

Clearlake, CA

#19805 Jan 26, 2013
Since Joseph Smith set himself above Jesus and the prophets, doesn't this mean the Later Day Saints are Smithists, not Christians?

" Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam.

A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet."

from History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 408-409

I would think that a man who boasts that he is greater than all those who have came before him should have his cult named after himself, not someone for whom he has nothing but contempt!

To call this group Christian is like calling Nazi Germany a democracy!

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#19807 Jan 26, 2013
The Watcher wrote:
Since Joseph Smith set himself above Jesus and the prophets, doesn't this mean the Later Day Saints are Smithists, not Christians?
I would think that a man who boasts that he is greater than all those who have came before him should have his cult named after himself, not someone for whom he has nothing but contempt!
To call this group Christian is like calling Nazi Germany a democracy!
Your logic doesn't even make sense. You justify your logic with ramblings not even reading what his words meant. You obviously do not know the teachings of the Church. If your going to quote something and make such ramblings.... you should study and research what your talking about.

The name of the Church it's self is... "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints".

It is not Joseph Smith's Church... It is the Lords Church... how you try to mince and chop words into pieces to serve your cause is a waste.

Joseph Smith indeed did not do what Jesus Christ did... and Jesus Christ did not do what Joseph Smith did. That's what was said if you put any thought into it at all. The 2 had 2 different purposes. Just like you and I have 2 different purposes.

There are many in this world that set out to do nothing more than establish doubt and they only seek to set fires and doubts and causing drama.

Food for thought: What is YOUR purpose?

How does your quote imply establishment of a cult or your over the top attempt at trying to be clever by your quote "To call this group Christian is like calling Nazi Germany a democracy" make sense?

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#19808 Jan 26, 2013
Protester wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C riticism_of_The_Church_of_Jesu s_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints
Wikipedia is not a valid source. Anyone can edit the context of the pages on Wikipedia therefore it may not establish anything other than opinions.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#19809 Jan 26, 2013
Protester wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =RU721E0IJRIXX&feature=rel ated
You turn to YOUTUBE for valid answers... to sway others about what a cult is... lol. WOW!

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#19810 Jan 26, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I understand, the only babies that are be adopted to gay men are the Aids infected ones. The last baby anybody wants. If true, I don't have a problem with that. Child molestation is a problem with all groups, not just homosexuals. More and more women are being caught molesting boys also. Look at the raise of female teachers being caught having sex with their students.
Dana... for once, I can truly say I agree with part of your post.

Women molest boys (and they molest girls also), it's not only an act by men. There are far too many people simply using their individualized filthy desires to fetish and devour little ones.

It's tragic... but true! For instance, drug addicts sell their children for drugs. I mean quality parenting right!

For the gay part... that's your opinion...(and your entitled to your opinion) but I definitely think that every child (even little aides babies) needs good people around them... to love them and offer them a quality life... not abuse them.

However, for the gay part... whose to say that a gay man for instance has aides and adopts a aides baby... then molest it... nothing is won by this argument.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#19811 Jan 26, 2013
Pearl,

It's nice to see you. I don't know if you remember me, but I hope all is well in your world. Have a great day!
The Watcher

Clearlake, CA

#19812 Jan 26, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Your logic doesn't even make sense. You justify your logic with ramblings not even reading what his words meant. You obviously do not know the teachings of the Church. If your going to quote something and make such ramblings.... you should study and research what your talking about.
The name of the Church it's self is... "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints".
It is not Joseph Smith's Church... It is the Lords Church... how you try to mince and chop words into pieces to serve your cause is a waste.
Joseph Smith indeed did not do what Jesus Christ did... and Jesus Christ did not do what Joseph Smith did. That's what was said if you put any thought into it at all. The 2 had 2 different purposes. Just like you and I have 2 different purposes.
There are many in this world that set out to do nothing more than establish doubt and they only seek to set fires and doubts and causing drama.
Food for thought: What is YOUR purpose?
How does your quote imply establishment of a cult or your over the top attempt at trying to be clever by your quote "To call this group Christian is like calling Nazi Germany a democracy" make sense?
In context?

Whatever context you put it in Joseph Smith said what he did and your church's claim of being Christian is false. You can put other meanings into what he said but it will only delude the twue believers. Any intelligent person will understand precisely what was said.

There are many other embarrassing quotes by your leaders as well that clearly indicate what your religion is.

And what I said, "To call this group Christian is like calling Nazi Germany a democracy" makes perfect sense, especially when we consider your blood atonement doctrine and the massacre committed at Mountain Meadows, not to mention your position on sexual orientation that has driven many of your young people to suicide.

Here is an interesting article on the Mountain Meadows Massacre and how it affects the mindset of the current church:

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials...

Murder, treachery, lying, none of these qualities are considered Christian.

And your ad hominem attacks against those who point this out just adds to the insanity being observed here on topix as the defenders of the Mormon religion try to defend their non-christian church with lies and slander just as Brigham Young did in denying responsibility for the massacre!
allforjesus

Seymour, IN

#19813 Jan 26, 2013
This is a cult run by Satan himself. So many people are blinded by Satan and his lies ...if you'd like a real relationship with Jesus christ get a hold of me

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#19814 Jan 26, 2013
The Watcher wrote:
<quoted text>
In context?
... blah, blah, blah...
Well, you are entitled to your opinion... but to force it on others proves your mentality and your objectives.

Are you a Jehovah Witness? Hence "The Watcher"

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#19815 Jan 26, 2013
allforjesus wrote:
This is a cult run by Satan himself. So many people are blinded by Satan and his lies ...if you'd like a real relationship with Jesus christ get a hold of me
lol...

That is an extremely challenging argument you make there. How much of the Church do you know about? Where do you learn it from?

Did someone tell you?

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#19816 Jan 26, 2013
The Watcher wrote:
<quoted text>
... And your ad hominem attacks against those who point this out just adds to the insanity being observed here on topix as the defenders of the Mormon religion try to defend their non-christian church with lies and slander just as Brigham Young did in denying responsibility for the massacre!
you're funny...

I do not believe I attacked you... maybe I offended you though.
The Watcher

Clearlake, CA

#19817 Jan 26, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you are entitled to your opinion... but to force it on others proves your mentality and your objectives.
Are you a Jehovah Witness? Hence "The Watcher"
force it on others?

I'm not forcing you to reject your religion, so let's not try to force me to reject the historical evidence that accurately proves that your religion is not Christian. Topix is a debate forum. I am questioning the premise of the subject of the thread. Nobody forced you to read my posts. And nobody forced you to attack my posts with your ad hominem attacks.

How about the Mountain Meadows Massacre. I notice you offered no defense for this religious terrorism that shows your religion's lack of Christian values other than your ad hominem attack questioning my mental state.

and it isn't an opinion to site historical evidence that indicates that your religion is not Christian by any definition but your own.

And no, I'm not a Jehovah's Witness, another non-Christian religion very similar to your own.

I have presented historical evidence that can be documented that backs up my opposition of your claim to be Christian. That's all. You can form an opinion based on your appraisal of the accuracy of what I presented just as I can form an opinion based on your response but again, evidence is not an opinion.

peace.

“Poor Boy, Long Way From Home”

Since: Feb 11

Need To Know Basis

#19819 Jan 26, 2013
Only the bigoted ignoramuses would argue that a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is not a Christian. Don't listen to bigoted ignoramuses. I've known Mormons and they are true Christians in the noblest sense of the word. And this is written by a NON-CHRISTIAN. Shalom.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Millcreek Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 1 hr uiha 19,160
Why Does Ebay Allow Sexually Explicit Adult Mat... (Jul '13) 4 hr EulaBelford 9
Why Are THere So Many Gay Mormons ??? Tue Just Lisa 3
Review: Las Aguilas/utah Eagle Transport/taxi S... Oct 21 ctae 2
Review: Slickrock Towing And Recovery (Nov '12) Oct 19 Jennifer 18
Review: AMSCO Windows (Jan '10) Oct 19 Disgrundled 65
Review: Holladay Family And Laser Dentistry Oct 17 bcgrooves 1
Millcreek Dating
Find my Match

Millcreek Jobs