NJ teens sue over 'God Bless America' ejection

Three teenagers who say they were tossed from a New Jersey ballpark for sitting through the song "God Bless America" are suing the minor league Newark Bears. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Get a Job

Sonoma, CA

#1 Sep 14, 2009
I am sure this isn't the reason they were asked to leave.
David

Middletown, PA

#2 Sep 14, 2009
Don't like this country and how it was founded? Go "home" to that lovely place you left to be here.
Haha

Sunnyvale, CA

#3 Sep 14, 2009
Love it or leave it!
pwilson

Newtown, CT

#4 Sep 14, 2009
Smart a-s-s punks. There's more to this story. The co-owner doesn't just "show up" at the scene for just this.
Gwynmar

Durham, CT

#5 Sep 14, 2009
No big deal. If people want to sit down, let them.
Bruce

Azusa, CA

#6 Sep 14, 2009
"This land is your land, this land is my land, from California to the New York Island, from the redwood forests, to the Gulf Stream waters, this land was made for you and me..."
TooBad

Windham, CT

#7 Sep 14, 2009
An individual doesn't have to stand for the National Anthem or the singing of God Bless America. At best they shouldn't distract those around them during that moment. This will not be the last time we hear about this type of hot-head getting upset over an individual not standing. Stay tuned!
loweroceanlocal

Santa Cruz, CA

#8 Sep 14, 2009
David wrote:
Don't like this country and how it was founded? Go "home" to that lovely place you left to be here.
there is nothing in this article that suggest that these people are immigrants. they could love america, and just happen to have atheists, or they could have just had tired legs from walking to the ball park. we are not required to sing and stand anywhere in america, it is a free country. i bet the owner's actions were racially motivated, just like your comment obviously is.
loweroceanlocal

Santa Cruz, CA

#9 Sep 14, 2009
i suspect that the ejection was based on the fact that the young men probably look middle eastern. the reason that particular song is played is because of the 9-11 attack. considering that the attack was perpetrated by middle easterners, i can see why some would feel angered by the kids not standing up and singing. i can understand how someone might want to ascribe motives to why they did not stand up. my guess is the kids love America, and were just there to enjoy a traditional American pastime. by the way, did you know that islam has been in this country since we brought slaves over from africa....they just had to hide it back then, or they would get whipped for practicing their own religion.
seems to me

El Paso, TX

#10 Sep 14, 2009
TooBad wrote:
An individual doesn't have to stand for the National Anthem or the singing of God Bless America. At best they shouldn't distract those around them during that moment. This will not be the last time we hear about this type of hot-head getting upset over an individual not standing. Stay tuned!
seems to me that you can't make anyone stand for the National Anthem since the person calling himself the president skipped sulating the flag one while the National Anthem was played
seems to me

El Paso, TX

#11 Sep 14, 2009
should be "once" while the National Anthem was played
Martina

San Francisco, CA

#12 Sep 14, 2009
Since when are people be required to stand during a rendition of "God Bless America"? Plus ... who cares?
celebrate subversity

Gig Harbor, WA

#13 Sep 14, 2009
loweroceanlocal wrote:
.... the reason that particular song is played is because of the 9-11 attack.
Whaaat? Oh...it's loweroceanlocal! I should've have known.

So, you're not a moron on just one thread at a time, are you? You've got a true gift for stupidity and you feel the need to spread it around, eh?
DeeBee

Milford, CT

#14 Sep 14, 2009
I usually stand for "Sweet Caroline" and "Take me out to the Ballgame"....but not much else.
celebrate subversity

Gig Harbor, WA

#15 Sep 14, 2009
loweroceanlocal wrote:
...the ejection was based on the fact that the young men probably look middle eastern.
...based on the fact that probably? What does that mean?

Never mind, I don't want to hear your convoluted answer.
Notsofast

United States

#16 Sep 14, 2009
loweroceanlocal wrote:
<quoted text>
there is nothing in this article that suggest that these people are immigrants. they could love america, and just happen to have atheists, or they could have just had tired legs from walking to the ball park. we are not required to sing and stand anywhere in america, it is a free country. i bet the owner's actions were racially motivated, just like your comment obviously is.
Yes, it is a free country. And, I would be free to award them NOTHING!
Teabaggers Suck

Waterbury, CT

#17 Sep 14, 2009
loweroceanlocal wrote:
<quoted text>
That just show you that the people getting upset about them sitting are a bunch of racist teabaggers
treehugger

Santa Cruz, CA

#18 Sep 14, 2009
Seems as though there's a large part of the story missing here, I notice that neither side will give more details of what happened. The owner won't say anything and the kid's lawyer dad won't allow him to say anything either.

Of course there is no law requiring anyone to stand during any song or pledge in this country. Most ticketed events also have fine print on the back of the ticket allowing the establishment to eject people for various causes. Could it have been that they were violating part of those clauses rather than simply not standing?

Does anyone else consider it odd that, in this society where any incident seems to be captured on a cell phone video, nobody else has come forward with any comment about the issue? Weren't there any other people sitting near them who witnessed this incident? It also seems very telling that the father's reply to an offer to sit down and talk was to simply ask for $$$$.
Adolphs Great Grand Son

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Sep 14, 2009
Why can't I be a CZAR with the federal government in these matters. I would simply station ONE DOZEN sharp shooters in and about the stadium. Anyone that move/refuses to sing, would be automatically dispatched. Problem solved. Yes, I know, most of your are losing hundreds of your right in this God awful country of our.
loweroceanlocal

Santa Cruz, CA

#20 Sep 14, 2009
celebrate subversity wrote:
<quoted text>
Whaaat? Oh...it's loweroceanlocal! I should've have known.
So, you're not a moron on just one thread at a time, are you? You've got a true gift for stupidity and you feel the need to spread it around, eh?
oh really before that they played the star spangled banner at the beginning of baseball games, which is our national anthem, actually if you bothered to read the article you would know that america the beautiful was played after 9-11. it is not a law that you stand at the game...i have not called you names i would appreciate if you could keep it civil.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Millburn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 9 hr JOEL 71,559
PARCC tests - NJ parents, students worry about ... Mar 1 NoneOfTheAbove 1
Merck grants free license for pediatric HIV drug Feb 24 VACCINES MAIM KILL 1
Drug, warrant arrests follow traffic stops in R... Feb 6 Not rob 1
Continue reading "Edna Mahan inmates get life l... (Mar '09) Jan '15 Misitom 15
Curious about a 30 year old murder (Apr '06) Jan '15 Troy Wilson 288
5-Day New York Heroes Youth Football Camp! Jan '15 ProSports 1

Winter Storm Warning for Essex County was issued at March 04 at 3:49PM EST

Millburn News Video

Millburn Dating