Nassau to vote on acquiring Mill Neck estate

There are 34 comments on the Newsday story from Feb 25, 2008, titled Nassau to vote on acquiring Mill Neck estate. In it, Newsday reports that:

Legislature was scheduled to vote Monday on buying most of the 31-acre Smithers Estate in Mill Neck for about $8 million and preserving it as open space.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nassau County Civic Assoc

Paterson, NJ

#21 Feb 25, 2008
Richie wrote:
Why is Nassau County looking to AQUIRE open space in one place, yet seeks to get rid of it in another?
Why is nassau so hell bent on selling off its Parks such as Stillwell and Massapequa Preserve?
It makes NO sense!!!
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-lipres02...
This type of decision making is what got Nassau County into trouble in the first place.

www.nassaucivic.com
hmmmmmm

Bronx, NY

#22 Feb 25, 2008
tango wrote:
I know the property Wonderful purchase In the future residents will go there and at the same time visit Plantings Fields which is owned by the State As for the taxpayer in Colorado who is an NC tax payer in NC the tax refund he wants would have been less than 5 cents
Time will tell whether anyone will ever get to set foot on the property...
Why say why

Fort Lee, NJ

#23 Feb 25, 2008
New site of the Suozzi White House.
South Shore Resident

New York, NY

#24 Feb 25, 2008
I grew up on the South Shore and remember when there was open space there too. Unfortunately money hungry developers landfilled most of the open space in southern Nassau including all of the waterfront in Baldwin, Oceanside, Freeport and Massapequa. My family are long time residents of Freeport going back 50+ years and I'm more than happy to contribute to buying land for open space. Too bad the county wasn't far-sighted enought to do this 50 years ago when there was something to buy on the south shore. As to those nay-sayers who think this is something for the rich, get off your couches and take the family for a trip to the many preserves open to all across the North Shore. My parents took us to many of these same places 30 years ago and they're still there for all. Take a long walk through Shu Swamp, visit Welwynn and Sands Point Park. Stop at Planting Fields and the Tiffany Preserve. These are your parks, use them and make sure your kids learn about the environment that will soon be left only in parks. On your way home you can stop by the low income housing project on Lake Avenue in Mill Neck / Oyster Bay village.
wray

Flushing, NY

#25 Feb 25, 2008
Good purchase - I'll visit it and take a walk.
I walk around Eisenhower Park and have recently been pleasently surprised that many of the trees have been trimmed and the long neglected stairs to the lake have been repaired.
Good Job!!
Nassau Republican

New York, NY

#26 Feb 25, 2008
Nassau County Civic Assoc wrote:
<quoted text>
This type of decision making is what got Nassau County into trouble in the first place.
www.nassaucivic.com
According to the Nassau "Civic" Association the only thing worse than a nature preserve would be one where a gay couple could hold a commitment ceremony while at the same a Mexican alien would be free from persecution.
HereOnLI

United States

#27 Feb 25, 2008
Most of the people don't want this. Corrupt govt continues to do as it pleases. Spending money that it prints out around the clock, backed by nothing. Thinking the party will go on and on. When this system collapses I think most of us will be happy it did. What will happen to you. You will get yours either here on Earth or beyond.
Eddie Mush

United States

#28 Feb 26, 2008
This just in.....Nassau County is set to purchase the former Phipps Estate at Old Westbury Gardens. I guess Suozzi really did find the place for the new Official Nassau County Executive Mansion!
JayK

Jersey City, NJ

#29 Feb 26, 2008
South Shore Resident wrote:
I grew up on the South Shore and remember when there was open space there too. Unfortunately money hungry developers landfilled most of the open space in southern Nassau including all of the waterfront in Baldwin, Oceanside, Freeport and Massapequa.
I don't care how money-hungry you are. If you're a developer, you can only make money building what people want. So don't take the easy way out and blame the developers. They provided what people want: to live by the water. I don't know where you live, but do you think your area wasn't developed by developers who were money-hungry?
evidently

AOL

#30 Feb 27, 2008
South Shore Resident wrote:
I grew up on the South Shore and remember when there was open space there too. Unfortunately money hungry developers landfilled most of the open space in southern Nassau including all of the waterfront in Baldwin, Oceanside, Freeport and Massapequa. My family are long time residents of Freeport going back 50+ years and I'm more than happy to contribute to buying land for open space. Too bad the county wasn't far-sighted enought to do this 50 years ago when there was something to buy on the south shore. As to those nay-sayers who think this is something for the rich, get off your couches and take the family for a trip to the many preserves open to all across the North Shore. My parents took us to many of these same places 30 years ago and they're still there for all. Take a long walk through Shu Swamp, visit Welwynn and Sands Point Park. Stop at Planting Fields and the Tiffany Preserve. These are your parks, use them and make sure your kids learn about the environment that will soon be left only in parks. On your way home you can stop by the low income housing project on Lake Avenue in Mill Neck / Oyster Bay village.
Bravo!

Paterson, NJ

#31 Feb 29, 2008
Nassau Republican wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the Nassau "Civic" Association the only thing worse than a nature preserve would be one where a gay couple could hold a commitment ceremony while at the same a Mexican alien would be free from persecution.
We support the preservation of our open spaces, marriage as the union of one man and one woman and secure borders. You do not and that OK.

www.nassaucivic.com
Eddie Mush

New York, NY

#32 Mar 4, 2008
Nassau County Civic Assoc wrote:
<quoted text>
We support the preservation of our open spaces, marriage as the union of one man and one woman and secure borders. You do not and that OK.
www.nassaucivic.com
You left out robbing the tax-payers blind. I would rather have two men or two women in a same sex marriage who are honest than two heterosexual couples who both pledge alliegience to the Nassau GOP or Democratic Parties and who arrogantly and unabashedly stuff their pockets with taxpayer dollars.

Paterson, NJ

#33 Mar 4, 2008
Eddie Mush wrote:
<quoted text>
You left out robbing the tax-payers blind. I would rather have two men or two women in a same sex marriage who are honest than two heterosexual couples who both pledge alliegience to the Nassau GOP or Democratic Parties and who arrogantly and unabashedly stuff their pockets with taxpayer dollars.
What, huh? Sounds like your blind by anger. What are you talking about? What is your point?
Fatire

Great Neck, NY

#34 Apr 6, 2008
Point is, we are sick of being slaves to the govt. Our pay is not going up and everything else is. And I have no doubt that the taxes will keep raising as if everything is just dandy. We the people are asleep as of now. But watch out when we the people wake up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mill Neck Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach attracts huge ... 5 hr USAFSF Ret 1
Review: Tony Saccone - Allstate Personal Financ... Tue big man 3
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Hicksville (Feb '14) Sun veronica 26
Debate: Nuclear Power - Huntington Station, NY (May '11) May 22 FP 2
whats the bigest c*** u got a hold of (Feb '12) May 15 howsyourmama 2
News Ones to watch: Banking/wealth management (Oct '14) May 13 Andarz Abedini 2
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Glen Cove (Feb '14) May 9 IrisK 35
More from around the web

Mill Neck People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE