Nassau to vote on acquiring Mill Neck...

Nassau to vote on acquiring Mill Neck estate

There are 34 comments on the Newsday story from Feb 25, 2008, titled Nassau to vote on acquiring Mill Neck estate. In it, Newsday reports that:

Legislature was scheduled to vote Monday on buying most of the 31-acre Smithers Estate in Mill Neck for about $8 million and preserving it as open space.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Richie

Woodbury, NY

#1 Feb 25, 2008
Why is Nassau County looking to AQUIRE open space in one place, yet seeks to get rid of it in another?

Why is nassau so hell bent on selling off its Parks such as Stillwell and Massapequa Preserve?

It makes NO sense!!!

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-lipres02...

evidently

AOL

#2 Feb 25, 2008
good point!!
Southbound

Kansas City, MO

#3 Feb 25, 2008
Are there underprivledged children in Mill Neck that need a park? Are there poor, hardworking people in Mill Neck without access to the water, or a pool to swim in? Will any Nasau residents be able to pack up a picnic basket and go to this park to hang out in Mill neck?
If the answer to these questions is no, then maybe this is an inside deal between Nassau and a rich 'friend' of the Nassau government. I'd be looking into how much the 8 million dollar property is actually worth!
This makes no sense... I smell a rat!
sickofit

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Feb 25, 2008
Did'nt anyone notice all the open space purchases are NOrth shore. Looks like money talks. Suozzi and his cronies are taking care of thier own as usual. They don't care about what happens to places like the Massapequa Preserve.
Richie wrote:
Why is Nassau County looking to AQUIRE open space in one place, yet seeks to get rid of it in another?
Why is nassau so hell bent on selling off its Parks such as Stillwell and Massapequa Preserve?
It makes NO sense!!!
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-lipres02...
hmmmmmm

Lindenhurst, NY

#5 Feb 25, 2008
I would think that the Mill Neck Village zoning laws are sufficient for preserving that space. Find something better to do with 8 million than maintain open space in the rich folks village.
mike

AOL

#6 Feb 25, 2008
25 acres in mill neck would go for a lot more than than 8 mil to some developer.a nature park in mill neck would be a great place for nassau resident to go to on a nice day - save these locations when you can
not so

Denver, CO

#7 Feb 25, 2008
QUOTE......"The Nassau County Legislature voted unanimously Monday to buy most of the 31-acre Smithers Estate in Mill Neck for $7.8 million and preserve it as open space."

as a taxpaying resident of NC, i would have preferred to receive part of the 7.8 million dollars as a "refund".
NC already has enough parks, the land should have been sold to an individual buyer creating more money/revenue for the county, now the county gets stuck with another piece of property to take care of and maintain.
not good thinking on this purchase.....
Eddie Mush

United States

#8 Feb 25, 2008
When countless families are suffering under extremely high property taxes and could use some relief, more land is going to be taken off the top shelf rolls? This does not make sense. But then again, coming from Tom Suozzi, it makes all the sense in the world (to him at least).
Si Senor

AOL

#9 Feb 25, 2008
not so wrote:
QUOTE......"The Nassau County Legislature voted unanimously Monday to buy most of the 31-acre Smithers Estate in Mill Neck for $7.8 million and preserve it as open space."
as a taxpaying resident of NC, i would have preferred to receive part of the 7.8 million dollars as a "refund".
NC already has enough parks, the land should have been sold to an individual buyer creating more money/revenue for the county, now the county gets stuck with another piece of property to take care of and maintain.
not good thinking on this purchase.....
You're totally correct, and besides the residents would rather have a few new homes built and occupied by people that can afford to live there rather than having park goers coming and going at all times of the day/night and the trouble that brings!
Subsidy Housing

Shoreham, NY

#10 Feb 25, 2008
NC should build affordable housing for poor people up there in Mill Neck.
Wayne Williams

Manhasset, NY

#11 Feb 25, 2008
Subsidy Housing wrote:
NC should build affordable housing for poor people up there in Mill Neck.
I agree. Get some brothers up there.
We need low income housing.
I would move there in a flash.
Glen Cove Lady

Milford, CT

#12 Feb 25, 2008
That price is a STEAL.

There's no way they'd allow low income housing there.
Good job

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Feb 25, 2008
Excellent purchase
JayK

New York, NY

#14 Feb 25, 2008
I agree that a burdened populace shouldn't bear the burden of buying open property like this. But then why did it approve the bond issue in the first place? There is simply no consistency in the people's complaints. Cut my taxes! Reduce the size of government! And oh yeah, borrow some money to buy big open pieces of property so we can keep them that way. Sorry, people, but you can't have all three.
tango

AOL

#15 Feb 25, 2008
I know the property Wonderful purchase In the future residents will go there and at the same time visit Plantings Fields which is owned by the State As for the taxpayer in Colorado who is an NC tax payer in NC the tax refund he wants would have been less than 5 cents
Oyster Bay Resident

Jackson, NJ

#16 Feb 25, 2008
I am totally for this purchase. And true - this Bond was already voted for by the taxpayers, they had to use it to purchaseopen space. All areas are welcome to sumit suggestions for acquisition it's just a matter of finding large available plots of land. And this one was of significant environmental importance. Thank you Suozzi!
hey there

Wayne, NJ

#17 Feb 25, 2008
sickofit wrote:
Did'nt anyone notice all the open space purchases are NOrth shore. Looks like money talks. Suozzi and his cronies are taking care of thier own as usual. They don't care about what happens to places like the Massapequa Preserve.
<quoted text>
because no one cares about the south shore
yup

Denver, CO

#18 Feb 25, 2008
tango wrote:
I know the property Wonderful purchase In the future residents will go there and at the same time visit Plantings Fields which is owned by the State As for the taxpayer in Colorado who is an NC tax payer in NC the tax refund he wants would have been less than 5 cents
1.3 residents in NC, if all taxpaying, i said taxpaying people got a refund, it would be more like 2 or 3 dollars, not the 5 cents you stated. lol
the point i was making is that selling to a private developer would have been more profitable to the county, not spending more money, then having to raise taxes to help maintain and care for this property which we DON'T need. NC has enough parks and open area's already.
what the county should do is hire more security to keep the parks safe, so more people would actually use them.
and i do live in NC even thou my ISP address is elsewhere.
Moe Litvak

Huntington, NY

#19 Feb 25, 2008
Si Senor wrote:
<quoted text>
You're totally correct, and besides the residents would rather have a few new homes built and occupied by people that can afford to live there rather than having park goers coming and going at all times of the day/night and the trouble that brings!
I cant wait for it to open so me and my biker friends can roll in bright and early to start some hard core picnicking.
bay

New Rochelle, NY

#20 Feb 25, 2008
This purchase is great. Protecting the watershed will provide benefits that that we all can enjoy for what seems to be a fair price. Check out the you tube links. It makes sense ecologically .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mill Neck Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 4 Levittown brothers accused in $70-million coi... (Nov '08) 13 hr Sleepless in Tac... 426
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Dix Hills 19 hr spappas93 1
News Man led cops on two county chase at 110 mph (Apr '07) Mar 18 Cabbage 201
Review: Bt Orthotic Labs Inc (Oct '08) Mar 14 Bonnie S 7
News MS-13 Gang "Entrenched" On Long Island (Aug '07) Mar 11 Ice 110
Commuting from Queens to Syosset Mar 10 ELC2012 1
Review: Depalo & Sons Auto Body Inc (Nov '09) Mar 9 bird 18

Mill Neck Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mill Neck Mortgages