Milford fire forcing evacuation

Milford fire forcing evacuation

There are 33 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Mar 31, 2009, titled Milford fire forcing evacuation. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

Fire ravaging the Milford Fabricating plant on Erna Avenue this morning has forced evacuation of neighborhood homes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
One Workers Relative

Manchester, CT

#23 Mar 31, 2009
Predictable wrote:
A couple of workers dropped cigarettes that they got real cheap from a guy selling cartons from the back of a Budget rental truck
You are an idiott
One Workers Relative

Manchester, CT

#24 Mar 31, 2009
sounds like arson to me wrote:
Sounds like a set fire to me
The McDonalds that you work at should burn down then you'll have to say welcome to Taco Bell
employee

West Haven, CT

#25 Mar 31, 2009
its nice to see poeple joking about me and my co workers losing there jobs!!real nice...remember KARMA
Mil-Resident

Bayonne, NJ

#26 Mar 31, 2009
I know the team at Mil-Fab. My heart goes out to them all. They made thousands of sheet metal parts - many for Sikorsky Choppers - the tooling lost and resourcing these will be difficult for Sikorsky and very unfortunate for Mil-Fab. They are/were a great company - great people. This is a tremendous loss.
Bob _Fairfield

Bridgeport, CT

#27 Apr 1, 2009
Sorry to hear of the fire. Glad no one was hurt. Collect the insurance as soon as possible and rebuild it. Buy the time it is rebuilt, the employees will just about run out of unemployment benefits.
Milford Taxpayer

Berlin, CT

#28 Apr 1, 2009
Thankfully no one was injured in this fire. I still say we here in Milford have the BEST firefighters anywhere!!! Thanks to all of them and to the mutual aid responders as well. Great job!!!
Drifter

Franklin Square, NY

#29 Apr 1, 2009
I' m glad no one was hurt, no even the people who own the goats in the corner house.!
lss

Norwalk, CT

#30 Apr 1, 2009
sounds like arson to me wrote:
Sounds like a set fire to me
Are you serious???
I am the judge in here

Bayonne, NJ

#31 Apr 1, 2009
Drifter wrote:
I' m glad no one was hurt, no even the people who own the goats in the corner house.!
I believe the goat house is not that way. It is on the other side of the road down from Bobet's.

Actually there are two goat houses in that area. Then there is another goat house on W Clark Street in Milford.

Any other goat houses in that area? I don't think there are...

Goats were farther from the fire but glad they are ok too. baaaa
One Workers Relative

Manchester, CT

#32 Apr 1, 2009
lss wrote:
<quoted text>Are you serious???
Yes he's definately an idiott, not even worth recognizing
One Workers Relative

Manchester, CT

#33 Apr 1, 2009
The 'sounds like arson' guy I mean
reader

Clifton, NJ

#34 Apr 2, 2009
MILFORD -- Even as employees met with state Department of Labor officials to learn what benefits are available, the owners of the Milford Fabricating Co. were scrambling Wednesday to make sure the interruption caused by a massive fire would be a short one.
The company was arranging to rent a building close to its burned-out production facility at 46 Erna Ave., co-owner Brian Pohl said. "We are hoping to bring everyone back within 30 days, and we anticipate installing new equipment on Monday or Tuesday," he said.
The nearly 100 employees gathered at the company's West Avenue warehouse "are like family to us and we are going to do all we can for them," he said.
The warehouse where the state's Rapid Response Team held an information session is behind the factory destroyed by fire Tuesday. Erna Avenue was still blocked at its intersection with the Boston Post Road while fire investigators combed through the ruins.
Workers were paid for Wednesday and 30 to 40 will continue working for the rest of the week, company officials said. Pohl said he provided to state officials a list of employees who will be needed during the transition period.
The rest will be eligible to collect unemployment benefits for the time they are out of work.
"We're all intending to getting back functioning again as soon as possible," employee Ignacio Gandarillas said. He said he isn't concerned that the company's suppliers and customers will go elsewhere to meet
----------
Advertisement
----------
critical deadlines while Milford Fabricating is closed. "Our vendors are all committed to us and we are committed to all of our customers."
Mayor James L.
Richetelli Jr., who had been production manager of Precision Metal Products here before being elected, said the equipment Milford Fabricating needs, and the work that it does, is very specialized.
"We did a lot of business with Milford Fabricating; it is a great company with great workers," the mayor said.
Samuel Bergami, chairman of the Connecticut Business and Industry Association, attended the Wednesday afternoon meeting. Bergami owns Alinabal Inc., a company with several Milford facilities that do some of the same specialty work that Milford Fabricating Co. does. "I'm here to offer the help of Alinabal," he said.
Employees inside the cavernous warehouse, surrounded by supplies on pallets and racks, were optimistic they would soon be back on the job full time. They each were given a blue and white plastic bag of information by Susan Fracasso, a state Labor Department field worker, and several used laptop computers in a small office at the front of the building to complete forms.
A large white truck parked in front was a state Department of Social Services field office, where counselors and other support staff waited to meet with employees.
The situation at Milford Fabricating is a bit different than what she usually deals with, Fracasso said. There are additional benefits available to the company's employees because they are considered "displaced" under the law, idled suddenly by a calamity.
Employees may receive half of their regular gross wages, up to a maximum of $519, for 26 weeks, she said. There is a $25 weekly bonus and an extension of the benefit period that is being provided through the federal stimulus program, Fracasso told the workers.
"I know that your employer hopes to rehire each and every one of you, and you should know that while you need to be available for full-time work while you are collecting benefits, it can be temporary work," the state official said.
Richetelli said not many companies are expanding in the current economic downturn, but Milford Fabricating was -- and is poised to continue its growth.
Upset

Mansfield, MA

#35 Apr 3, 2009
I fully expect Milford Fabricators to make a full comeback. The owners are great people and they have the full support of a lot of people.

They will come back bigger and better, mark my words.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Milford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Council grapples with Ganim's cop budget 3 hr America Gentleman... 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr Another Black kil... 20,184
Review: Fairmount Theatre (Oct '10) 7 hr Sam69 5,273
News Raid On Bridgeport Bar Yields 85 Underage Drink... Sat America Gentleman... 9
News 3 Charged With Stealing $300K In Money Orders F... Sat America Gentleman... 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Bill Finch as Mayor? Sat BPT 3
Stop A Real Problem, Cutting MIddle Class Retir... Sat BPT 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Milford Mortgages