Lawmakers looking for notable Ohioan to honor with U.S. Capitol...

Lawmakers looking for a famous Ohioan who best represents their state have a diverse group to choose from: a Rat Pack crooner, brothers who were first in flight, or maybe a great inventor. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
John

Grove City, OH

#1 Aug 14, 2009
Let's go with the Wright Brothers so we can remember when this state was a leader in something besides home foreclosures and people on food stamps.
Taxpayer

Grove City, OH

#2 Aug 14, 2009
Vern Riffe or James Rhodes
Mike

Dublin, OH

#3 Aug 14, 2009
If there was an outhouse behind the capitol building we could put a statue of Ted Strickland in there.
herschel

Columbus, OH

#4 Aug 14, 2009
Can you believe it? People searching for a way to waste more money. Why must we have statues of mere mortals? Why must we suffer the naming of buildings after the political parasites who have been living off all of us for all their lives? Then we have to be reminded of them when we pass the buildings named after them. I stopped going to the fair after they named one after Dickie Celeste. This is lunacy.
ColumbusResident

Columbus, OH

#5 Aug 14, 2009
Unbelievable that they are looking for ways to spend money, but even worse, they have to do an Ohio tour to decide. Couldn't people just submit ideas. Do they really need to go to Dayton to decide whether to choose the Wright Brothers?

So much wasted money. Who is paying for the travel and the "law makers" time? I'm guessing it's me again.
Claire Ross

Columbus, OH

#6 Aug 14, 2009
It would be great to see Jesse Owens honored in this way. While Thomas Edison was great, he did little of his actual work here.
gregarious

Columbus, OH

#7 Aug 14, 2009
Jesse Owens would be great, or William Tecumseh Sherman.
Bubba

Dayton, OH

#8 Aug 14, 2009
Vern Riffe? Really? Come on...we can do better than that. How about Jennifer Brunner - Ohio's most horrible secretary of state?
Mike Medley

San Marino, CA

#9 Aug 14, 2009
Add my vote for Gen Benjamin O. Davis, from Cleveland - Tuskegee Airmen
Doug

Mentor, OH

#10 Aug 14, 2009
Jessie Owens or John Glenn.
Rich M from Boston

Boston, MA

#11 Aug 14, 2009
How about Neil Armstrong? How many other Ohioans were first on the moon?
Some guy

Columbus, OH

#12 Aug 14, 2009
Doug wrote:
Jessie Owens or John Glenn.
John Glenn isn't dead. While he's a great Ohioan and patriot (and honestly who I would want representing Ohio until the end of time), the rules state the honored have to be dead.

And if you've seen him speak recently, you know that he isn't going anywhere anytime soon...

Jesse Owens and Thomas Edison. Not a drunk comedian, nor someone best known for great aim. And as much as we claim the Wright Brothers, much of their work was done elsewhere.
Kyle

Hermitage, TN

#13 Aug 14, 2009
Woodrow Hayes. Greatest Ohioan ever.
Rhodes my keister

AOL

#14 Aug 14, 2009
Taxpayer wrote:
Vern Riffe or James Rhodes
Right. Jim Rhodes who once said "cleaning up this river is costing Ohioans jobs" and compared those who care about the environment to Nazis and brownshirts. Jim Rhodes who stupidly and arrogantly ordered untrained, armed young Guardsmen into a situation they had no business in, leading to the murders of four innocent kids walking across a campus. Jim Rhodes who pardoned Licavoli, a known mobster, not that the GOP-loving Dispatch wanted anything to do with any investigation of the man it helped put in office. We ought to tear down the statute we've got.
Rhodes my keister

AOL

#15 Aug 14, 2009
Kyle wrote:
Woodrow Hayes. Greatest Ohioan ever.
Would you choose Woody's punching out the photographer pose or his punching out the Clemson linebacker pose? Decisions, decisions.
Rhodes my keister

AOL

#16 Aug 14, 2009
gregarious wrote:
Jesse Owens would be great, or William Tecumseh Sherman.
Or Willam (the only good Indians I've seen were dead) Sheridan. Lets tell history like it was.
J L Probeck

Stow, OH

#17 Aug 14, 2009
Need a famous Ohioan to be a statue??? How about John Glenn???
Angry Young American

Columbus, OH

#18 Aug 14, 2009
1. Jonathan Winters
2. Ernie (Ghoulardi) Anderson
3. Rahsaan Roland Kirk
4. Doris Day
5. Bootsy Collins
winslow551

Washington Court House, OH

#20 Aug 14, 2009
Seems like John Glenn would be a great choice. He served our nation as a Marine officer and astronaut. He also served Ohio with distinction as our Senator.
CHUCKO

Watseka, IL

#21 Aug 14, 2009
I nominate FLIPPO the clown!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Milan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr 18WheelsNoBrainCells 31,059
'Stumbling somewhat incoherent' woman charged w... 3 hr political 1
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 8 hr Vic 231
Baxley (Mar '13) 18 hr he is a loser 5
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Sep 13 They cannot kill ... 191
'Amy Mihaljevic' author draws 100 (May '07) Sep 11 Advanced Technology 4
Drug suspect dies after hitting tree (Jun '08) Aug 21 Celleste 5
•••
•••
•••

Milan Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Milan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••