Hunt for new Ohio statue goes to Edis...

Hunt for new Ohio statue goes to Edison birthplace

There are 9 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Aug 7, 2009, titled Hunt for new Ohio statue goes to Edison birthplace. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The search for a new Ohio statue for the U.S. Capitol is taking a panel of state lawmakers to the birthplace of inventor Thomas Edison.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

skessler

United States

#1 Aug 7, 2009
Thomas Edison is a great idea. I bet very few people know he was born in Milan. Most people associate him with Menlo Park. What I find shocking are the facts regarding the person's statue he would replace.
Adam

Columbus, OH

#2 Aug 7, 2009
I would try to find someone other than Edison. Yes, Edison was born in Ohio, but he grew up in Michigan and did almost all of his significant work on the East Coast.

If possible, I think the Wright Brothers would be the ideal choice, seeing as though they were both lifelong Ohioans. I wonder the Statuary would allow a single statue with two figures. You can't really choose one over the other, after all.
Pat Gordon

Middlesboro, KY

#3 Aug 7, 2009
How about replacing Garfield as well ? He was president for a year ? What did he accomplish besides having a disgruntled patronage seeker kill him ?
steindog

Columbus, OH

#4 Aug 7, 2009
I agree with Pat. Replace Garfield. How about Ulysses S. Grant. He was a Civil War general and 2 term president.
PTIP

Columbus, OH

#5 Aug 7, 2009
Who Cares
Reader

Columbus, OH

#6 Aug 7, 2009
Ummm, how about someone who's not necessarily a white male?
BuckI

Columbus, OH

#7 Aug 7, 2009
How about some suggestions, Reader, instead of sniping at those who offer suggestions?

Personally, I couldn't care less if they're white males, green females, or anything in between. As Dr King said...the content of their characters should be the primary consideration, and on that basis, they should toss out Allen's statue pronto.
Reader

Columbus, OH

#8 Aug 7, 2009
Frances Payne Bolton, Florence E. Allen, Lois Lenski, Lucy Sessions, Lucy Stone, Harriet Beecher Stowe. That's just a start.
Larry

Kaiserslautern, Germany

#9 Aug 7, 2009
I nominate Neil Armstrong, Who'll Second???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Milan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tia williamson peterson!!! hep b and c May 10 Screw you people 7
Dog thief Mar '18 L Jaycox 1
News Violette case remains a mystery nearly 15 years... (Jul '13) Feb '18 Worker 3
News C Stop manager Gina Arthur represented the conv... Feb '18 Unavailable 2
Lori Lacy sick and twisting her son (Mar '15) Nov '17 Worthlesswalk 3
90 Day Fianc'e (Dec '14) Oct '17 Babe Ruth 6
News Aliza Rarick and Andrew Schluchter (Oct '17) Oct '17 Sorry Not Sorry 1

Milan Jobs

Personal Finance

Milan Mortgages