Officials: Dog attacked by alligator ...

Officials: Dog attacked by alligator in Jacksonville

There are 5 comments on the Jacksonville Daily News story from Jul 24, 2013, titled Officials: Dog attacked by alligator in Jacksonville. In it, Jacksonville Daily News reports that:

Area officials are asking residents not to feed the ducks near the water by Northwoods Shopping Center after an alligator attack Tuesday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Jacksonville Daily News.

NC GATOR LOVER

Greensboro, NC

#1 Jul 24, 2013
I am extremely upset that the alligator was shot and killed. The dog's owner is at fault. The dog's owner was walking the dog without a leash (NC state law requires dogs to be leashed), in an area well-known for alligators. And the pet owner was walking the dog AT DUSK, which is when alligators hunt. The alligator did nothing wrong. It was just being an alligator. It's a shame this magnificent animal had to lose it's life due to a pet owner's negligence. I am also very disappointed that the alligator wasn't relocated. Alligators are a protected species in the state of NC. It is illegal to hunt or kill them. It is also illegal to feed or harass them. This is a sad day.
Crocodile Dundee

Stafford Springs, CT

#2 Jul 24, 2013
I'm here in Syracuse NY reading the AP and I'm thinking there's a misprint and it was supposed to be Jacksonville FLORIDA. I had no idea gators were in NC. If I had moved there, I wouldn't have thought twice about being near the water until this happened.
Jean

United States

#3 Jul 25, 2013
I totally agree. That alligator has lived in that creek, which runs behind our house, for years. We love watching him sunning and swimming around. We keep our dogs on leash or behind the fence. We keep a respectful distance but when he has seen us he would move away. It is his creek and we are honored he has allowed us to share it. He only did what an alligator naturally does, hunts. Maybe the dog was in the wrong place at the wrong time, or maybe he was playing in the water, I don't know and I am sorry it happened, but it's not the alligator's fault nor the fault of the ducks. It is the humans fault who feed alligators or don't respect their habitat.
NC GATOR LOVER

Greensboro, NC

#4 Jul 25, 2013
Jean wrote:
I totally agree. That alligator has lived in that creek, which runs behind our house, for years. We love watching him sunning and swimming around. We keep our dogs on leash or behind the fence. We keep a respectful distance but when he has seen us he would move away. It is his creek and we are honored he has allowed us to share it. He only did what an alligator naturally does, hunts. Maybe the dog was in the wrong place at the wrong time, or maybe he was playing in the water, I don't know and I am sorry it happened, but it's not the alligator's fault nor the fault of the ducks. It is the humans fault who feed alligators or don't respect their habitat.
Thank you for seeing it my way! There is no way the dog owner couldn't have known about that alligator's existence. There is nothing I love more than observing wildlife...especially when I'm lucky enough to see animals in their natural habitat. I do feel sorry for the dog, because it's owner wasn't living up to their responsibility. 100% animal neglect. That dog died due to the owner's negligence. That's the bottom line. I am flabbergasted that the "officials" killed the alligator. I kept reading and hearing about it on and off all day yesterday, as well as today. I honestly thought they'd do something to the dog owner, NOT kill the alligator. You are 100% correct...humans are at fault for feeding the alligators (even though it's illegal, nothing ever seems to be done about it) and it's human's that are encroaching on the alligator's territory. Everytime I see a clip of that beautiful, massive alligator, hanging from a rope after he was unnecessarily killed, it brings tears to my eyes. They are an endangered species, as well as a protected species in NC. Someone dropped the ball here. I am beyond upset. People, we are blessed to be able to see alligators in the wild in this state. I don't want to only be able to see them at a zoo or an aquarium. This was senseless.
NC GATOR LOVER

Greensboro, NC

#5 Jul 25, 2013
Crocodile Dundee wrote:
I'm here in Syracuse NY reading the AP and I'm thinking there's a misprint and it was supposed to be Jacksonville FLORIDA. I had no idea gators were in NC. If I had moved there, I wouldn't have thought twice about being near the water until this happened.
Yes, here in NC we are blessed to be able to see these magnificent creatures in the wild, in their natural habitats. There are many alligators in NC, in the Southport and Oak Island area, as well as other places in Brunswick County. I feel so lucky to be able to go and see alligators in the wild, not only at a zoo or aquarium. What happened yesterday was completely uncalled for. And I am not the only one who feels this way. There is local outrage that the alligator was shot and killed, when it was clearly the dog owner's fault that the dog got ate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Midway Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Daves Towing Service (Nov '15) Jun '17 Darnell from Mary... 6
the music thread (Mar '12) Jun '17 Musikologist 24
News As Crime Stoppers tips increase, so do arrests ... (Aug '16) May '17 mkl 2
News Linniman not guilty (Mar '06) May '17 1989 information 5
mayor phillips is guilty. (Apr '14) May '17 C Jenkins 15
Tuckahoe MC Club (Apr '12) May '17 Ollady 26
The electorial college (Oct '16) May '17 Common Sense 2

Midway Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance