Lt. Nevin Barnes (MHPD), "Criminal or...

Lt. Nevin Barnes (MHPD), "Criminal or Criminal investigator?"

Posted in the Midway Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Concerned Citizen

Waco, TX

#1 Feb 9, 2013
First off, I am not labeling anyone. That's for the public to decide! I am trying to discern whether or not I am unjustified in my beliefs or if this gentleman is as unethical as I believe. A complete run down is not needed, so I won't waste the publics time with it. What it boils down to is that I asked this gentleman on more than one occasion to refrain from contacting my wife and myself, but he refuses to stop. He used such vague language as "I'll see you soon", after I asked him to stop texting me, in order to avoid the interpretation of physical harm. After telling him I felt threatened, he continued on, only using the statement "its not a threat, its a fact" to clarify his intent. He also made the statement, "if you wann a stop a freight train, you need to call." To me, these are threats, and harassment as defined by our laws. My question is, "Is this ok because he is a high ranking officer, or is this behaviour that is unacceptable from persons with such great responsibilities in regards to public safety." More than likely, his understanding of the law, and his connection to the police force will provide him a way out of being held accountable. How do we as citizens counteract such vile abuses of authority within our local and state government?
rodney king

New Haven, CT

#2 Feb 9, 2013
On two different instances where I needed the services of the MHPD and Nevin was involved, I had to seek alternative means to get meaningful assistance. I faced skepticism, and a judgemental attitude that hampered a resoloution that was just. One issue, a lawyer made some calls on my behalf and eventually arrests/convictions led to restitution to me. Years later, a theft of my property led me to file a complaint. It was never solved and Nevin was less than helpful with my complaint. That instance, I was cautioned (in advance) that he knew the individuals I suspected was involved.

No, not much respect on my part. That saying pertaining to throwing somebody and trusting and comparing distances.....well.....
guest

United States

#3 Feb 10, 2013
rodney king wrote:
On two different instances where I needed the services of the MHPD and Nevin was involved, I had to seek alternative means to get meaningful assistance. I faced skepticism, and a judgemental attitude that hampered a resoloution that was just. One issue, a lawyer made some calls on my behalf and eventually arrests/convictions led to restitution to me. Years later, a theft of my property led me to file a complaint. It was never solved and Nevin was less than helpful with my complaint. That instance, I was cautioned (in advance) that he knew the individuals I suspected was involved.

No, not much respect on my part. That saying pertaining to throwing somebody and trusting and comparing distances.....well.....
He is a good guy, and a great police officer!
Nevin Barnes

Mountain Home, AR

#4 Feb 11, 2013
Concerned Citizen wrote:
First off, I am not labeling anyone. That's for the public to decide! I am trying to discern whether or not I am unjustified in my beliefs or if this gentleman is as unethical as I believe. A complete run down is not needed, so I won't waste the publics time with it. What it boils down to is that I asked this gentleman on more than one occasion to refrain from contacting my wife and myself, but he refuses to stop. He used such vague language as "I'll see you soon", after I asked him to stop texting me, in order to avoid the interpretation of physical harm. After telling him I felt threatened, he continued on, only using the statement "its not a threat, its a fact" to clarify his intent. He also made the statement, "if you wann a stop a freight train, you need to call." To me, these are threats, and harassment as defined by our laws. My question is, "Is this ok because he is a high ranking officer, or is this behaviour that is unacceptable from persons with such great responsibilities in regards to public safety." More than likely, his understanding of the law, and his connection to the police force will provide him a way out of being held accountable. How do we as citizens counteract such vile abuses of authority within our local and state government?
The rest of the story....Mr Freeman says iam unethical..I rented a home to Mr. Freeman and his wife...whom I have not contacted through this entire incident. It is unethical not to stand on your word...like pay your rent. On several occassions Mr Freeman would pay part of his rent and I would graciuosly allow him the time.On two different times his wife came to my house wanting a key so she could get in and get her belongings...and that they were having problems. I refused to give her my only key to the residence..becuz they already have a key...hello....One night Mr Freeman text me at 10:18pm asking me to contact him that his wife was headed to our house to ask for a key to their house so she can start a fight with him. I told Mr Freeman that she didnt need to come to my house and ask for a key again. Mr Freeman agreed...and said, he was very sorry.
Rent is due on the 1st and payable by the 5th. On the 7th I contacted Mr Freeman and asked about the rent. He said, the lord made it clear that him and his wife shouldnt be together. He said he was sorry for not giving me any notice..as required. In the mean time I text him 9 times to try and obtain the keys. The freight train comment....is small claims...i was hoping to avoid it. I never threatened Mr Freeman, i merely stated the facts. I know that in the past Mr Freeman was late with his rent and would text me. I told him to get the money to me when he could. So I figured I could text him to relinquish the keys...which he never has. I suggest if you feel threatened by my text to call your law enforcement agencey and file a report. I have all your text...u should have all mine. Oh yeah...Mr Freeman forgot to tell you that because earlier in the story someone didnt have a key they kicked in the front door doing considerable amount of damage to the front door. Mr Freeman also failed to tell you I never charged him a late fee for his late rent payments and didnt charge him a security deposit. I wish him and his wife well...I just was hoping he would do the right thing.
Haha

Mountain Home, AR

#5 Feb 11, 2013
Concerned citizen, it sounds like you're a dead beat stirring up trouble. What a total loser! Landlords have to deal with dipsh*ts like you all the time, and it's pretty funny to listen to you whine (incoherently I might add) when you apparently owe back rent and repair money. I hope he harasses you until he gets it, because it will be the one of the first cases of law enforcement in Mtn. Home actually getting anything done with scum bag tenants who squat rent-free on other people's property and screw it up because they're nasty. Shame on you.
Concerned Citizen

United States

#6 Feb 11, 2013
Haha wrote:
Concerned citizen, it sounds like you're a dead beat stirring up trouble. What a total loser! Landlords have to deal with dipsh*ts like you all the time, and it's pretty funny to listen to you whine (incoherently I might add) when you apparently owe back rent and repair money. I hope he harasses you until he gets it, because it will be the one of the first cases of law enforcement in Mtn. Home actually getting anything done with scum bag tenants who squat rent-free on other people's property and screw it up because they're nasty. Shame on you.

You are very mistaken. Very funny, and to hear him tell the story I would make that mistake in judgement as well. I am paid on the 5th and 20th, which was discussed at the time I rented the property. It was also discussed that we could pay rent whenever and however as long as we communicated, as I clearly did, per Mr. Barnes account of this story. Notice, I said all of these things were discussed, because we were never presented with a lease to sign or even one rent receipt. Landlord, far from it! I never stayed there one day that wasn't paid for, and let Mr. Barnes say different. The issue was that I moved and didn't provide notice. I told Mr. Barnes to send me a bill for any repairs and I would pay any legitimate claim. It was in the same conversation that I asked him to stop texting me, in which I do have saved as well. This is the first attempt by Mr. Barnes to discern the nature of his threats, but harassment is harassment. After I informed Mr. Barnes that the keys had been lost and to please not contact me again informally, he had no legitimate cause to keep texting my phone. He had even less cause to taunt me with texts begging me to file a report. These are actions unbecoming of an officer or any professional, landlord, or businessman.
Get a friggin grip

Mountain Home, AR

#7 Feb 11, 2013
How Nevin Barnes, the Landlord, handles his business of renting houses should have nothing to do with his position at the PD. Nevin is just like the rest of landlords, we provide people that can't purchase their own homes for one reason or another with a place to live at a reasonable price. The landlord is the one taking the risk, not the deadbeat renter. Concerned Citizen, if you lost the keys to the house, change the locks and give Nevin the new keys. If you kicked in the front door, have that fixed too. You should give him his property back in the same condition he intrusted you with it.
Haha

Mountain Home, AR

#8 Feb 11, 2013
Concerned, your story doesn't even make sense. Seriously, if he violated the law then file a report. Why would you get on a public forum, tell half of a confusing accusation and then expect anyone to back you up when you are admitting you caused damage to his property and "lost" his keys? Sounds like BS since you moved while the property was damaged, didn't return the keys, and didn't provide notice. What is it you're wanting?? Validation that that's OK? It's not. Pay your bills and quit whining.
Concerned Citizen

United States

#9 Feb 11, 2013
When Mr. Barnes threatened to "act in an official capacity on her ass, if you know what I mean" he mixed the two. I did lose the keys to the house, and I also agreed to pay any legitimate claim for repairs. I understand the presumptions that are made by individuals outside of the situation that have never done anyting wrong. Once again, its not about Mr. Barnes as a person. It is about his actions and behaviors. By definition of the word, Mr. Barnes volunarily threatened me, and harassed me. Whether or not it will be pursued, due to the absense of a threat of bodily harm, is up the prosecutor. My belief is that just because someone doesn't specifically tell you how they are going to inflict damage to your persons doesn't mean that they didn't make a threat. Also, I believe that ones presumed debt does not justify repeated unwanted contact after a payment agreement has been made. The definition of harassment is very clear and easy to interperet. Just so no more prejudice comments are posted, I will provide the legal definition of harassment for the public. harassment (either harris-meant or huh-rass-meant) n. the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands. The purposes may vary, including racial prejudice, personal malice, an attempt to force someone to quit a job or grant sexual favors, apply illegal pressure to collect a bill, or merely gain sadistic pleasure from making someone fearful or anxious.
Let's focus on "coninued unwanted and annoying actions" and "apply illegal pressure to collect a bill." So, please go back and read the communications that took place between us, and tell me how he wasn't guilty of harassment. Here is a insert on Unlawful Communications.
Unlawful communications include, among other things, the use of threats to prevent another from engaging in a lawful occupation and writing libelous letters or letters that tend to provoke a breach of the peace. The use of intimidation for purposes of collecting an unpaid debt has been held to constitute an unlawful communication but might be prosecuted as Extortion.
Tell me now, given these definitions and our communications, how I shouldn't feel as if I have been wronged. How should I feel any better when all of these things come from a supervising officer involved in our local law enforcement.
Concerned Citizen

United States

#10 Feb 11, 2013
Haha wrote:
Concerned, your story doesn't even make sense. Seriously, if he violated the law then file a report. Why would you get on a public forum, tell half of a confusing accusation and then expect anyone to back you up when you are admitting you caused damage to his property and "lost" his keys? Sounds like BS since you moved while the property was damaged, didn't return the keys, and didn't provide notice. What is it you're wanting?? Validation that that's OK? It's not. Pay your bills and quit whining.
I am not looking for validation, nor am I asking for opinions regarding my budget or living arrangements. What I am looking to do is publicize the "good 'ole boy" style that is being represented by our local government. Like I said, this isn't so much about him, as it is about his actions and behaviors. I don't like how local law enforcement carries a double standard when dealing with their constituents. I think its inappropriate for a law enforcement officer to violate laws without fear of prosecution. That's what is BS, and its the views of government officials being saints held by citizens that has led us to have cops that violate laws off of the clock. I feel like it is our responsibility as citizens to call out our local government officials for their offenses so they may be held accountable, and the freedom, peace, and justice be held high. That's what I want, but I know in this day it is a shot in the dark. It is nothing more than a tree falling in the woods, with noone there to hear.
guest

Mountain Home, AR

#11 Feb 11, 2013
Concerned Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>I am not looking for validation, nor am I asking for opinions regarding my budget or living arrangements. What I am looking to do is publicize the "good 'ole boy" style that is being represented by our local government. Like I said, this isn't so much about him, as it is about his actions and behaviors. I don't like how local law enforcement carries a double standard when dealing with their constituents. I think its inappropriate for a law enforcement officer to violate laws without fear of prosecution. That's what is BS, and its the views of government officials being saints held by citizens that has led us to have cops that violate laws off of the clock. I feel like it is our responsibility as citizens to call out our local government officials for their offenses so they may be held accountable, and the freedom, peace, and justice be held high. That's what I want, but I know in this day it is a shot in the dark. It is nothing more than a tree falling in the woods, with noone there to hear.
I think the way you started this thread says a lot about your intentions. It's obvious that you meant to hurt his character as a person and a police officer. You keep rambling on about the law but yet you forget that what you have posted here can be used against you in court. You purposely failed to disclose the details of your relationship with Nevin and your name, because you knew you were wrong. You admit you owe the man money so pay it and quit whining. He has every right to contact you about what you owe. I know Nevin and think he is a good guy. I don't think he would be dumb enough to threaten you. If you are that scared do like Nevin said and file a complaint. I'm proud of Nevin for calling you out on your BS!!
guest

Bexar, AR

#12 Feb 11, 2013
Concerned seems to be like many in this community, wanting something for nothing and then bad mouthing others if they do not get it.
just thinkin

Wiseman, AR

#13 Feb 11, 2013
Calm down and stop playing with fire...per say. We are not in big city. Don't do anything wrong and there is no problem. They will rack, stack and pack you here....THINK.
Concerned Citizen

Longview, TX

#14 Feb 11, 2013
Guest, I did file a report with pictures of his texts threatening me. So, please pick one up before making assumptions based on wh at you think you know. Other guest, my rent was paid up to the day I moved out. What is this something that I am trying to get for nothing? Maybe itd be justice, which definately has a price tag on it around here. Just thinkin, you obviously understand the good 'ole boy representation I speak of. It should never have come down to that mentality. We as citizens should never have to keep our head down, mind our business, and let the government do as it pleases. I'm sorry but I don't suffer from the Nancy Pulosi syndrome. It should never be wrong to point out when we feel as if our government officials are breaking the laws they make, interperet, and enforce. All of you people that believe that Mr. Barnes is a law abiding citizen, tell me why more than one of his families vehicles windows are tinted illegally. As an officer of the law, how is it right to allow your son to have his windows tinted at 5% or to have them tinted illegally on your own vehicle? Is it not his responsibility to make his child remove the tint, or for him to remove his, or for him to hold the shop owner accountable for tinting the illegally? These are crimes we are cited for every day, but an officers crimes are ignored, and so is his child's. How is he a just person when he himself walks and allows his children to walk outside the law and endanger citizens to have a cool ride. When you get done judging me, I offered to pay any debt I owe, and I asked this gentleman to not contact me after that. None of his texts since have related to that debt, so what is his motive at this point? What are his motives for texting me today, when the debt wasn't addressed? What is his motive for texting me the next time? Other than something defined in the above definition of harassment or unlawful communications, he has none.
Concerned Citizen

Longview, TX

#15 Feb 11, 2013
Really, window tint laws are a little ridiculous, but there laws nevertheless. I also hate to point out such a small infraction, but it is a symbol of Mr. Barnes respect of the laws he enforces. It is just a small sign of a large problem.
guest

Mountain Home, AR

#16 Feb 11, 2013
Wow, you just can't let this go!!! And you want to complain about harassment? It really takes a big person to start attacking someone's child. Looks like Mr. Barnes needs to file a harassment report on you Concerned!! What it all comes back to is your original attack on his character. Starting this thread calling him a criminal was wrong! Maybe you should be held accountable for that.
Concerned Citizen

Longview, TX

#17 Feb 11, 2013
Well, if it is against the law, I am sure that I will be held accountable. Otherwise, this a public forum and I am exercising my constitutional right. If you have an issue with it, maybe you should avoid this thread or start one of your own. Feel free to comment here as much as you like in the mean time.. Say whatever you want, because it is your right to do that here. It's not harassment here. This is the internet, and our first amenment covers a lot. Not everything, but a lot. It does cover your opinion of me, which I respect. It does not cover Mr. Barnes communications to my cell phone, however.
guest

Mountain Home, AR

#18 Feb 11, 2013
Concerned Citizen wrote:
Well, if it is against the law, I am sure that I will be held accountable. Otherwise, this a public forum and I am exercising my constitutional right. If you have an issue with it, maybe you should avoid this thread or start one of your own. Feel free to comment here as much as you like in the mean time.. Say whatever you want, because it is your right to do that here. It's not harassment here. This is the internet, and our first amenment covers a lot. Not everything, but a lot. It does cover your opinion of me, which I respect. It does not cover Mr. Barnes communications to my cell phone, however.
Maybe you should look at the definition of slander. I think you calling him a criminal falls under that.....
Haha

Mountain Home, AR

#19 Feb 11, 2013
Concerned, I do understand what you're saying. I have been aggravated by the seemingly different laws that apply to some of our officers. The blue lights seem to be misused to get to breakfast (I saw that), the school resource officer that pulls into the parking lot at the Jr. High going 60 (don't know the exact MPH, but WAY too fast and reckless...I saw that often when my child was in that school), etc.. This is probably an issue everywhere, and that's a shame. There are probably many more officers that don't take advantage than those who do, but it is annoying. That being said, you do need to use caution when throwing out some wild (and incoherent) accusations. Slander is against the law, and you have posted your accusation on a public forum. It may be in your favor that the original post doesn't quite make sense.
Wow

Fayetteville, AR

#20 Feb 11, 2013
Wow besides Citizen you all sound like drama Llamas i just want to know does Barnes still wear his Canadian tuxedo when he's doing cid work? and i wont read this thread again so waste your time and respond children

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Midway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sonic 49 min Name 3
Preston Havens. Is he on something or just nuts? (Oct '11) 1 hr Flavawave4 19
Automotive Repair 8 hr Foundtruth 9
News Obama administration calls for end to corporal ... Sat guest 21
ab Fri raiders65 1
does anyone know Robert McKenna Aug '16 Jason Helton 2
simply mans bar (Jul '15) Sep '15 Guest 3

Midway Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Midway Mortgages