Hey Mayor Just Pay Me In Water

“Trust me?”

Since: Jan 10

Oak Forest/Midlothian

#62 Feb 8, 2012
Grandma wrote:
<quoted text> Sad Case, I agree with you sometimes, and sometimes not, but I think if you ever met Warren, you would understand how wrong and short sighted you're being. Anytime the community is involved, it has the potential to decrease crime. That being said, you shouldn't take pot shots at people who are doing positive things. I'm sure you do many other good things for MIdlothian like informing people of money they could be getting, and I believe deep down you're a good person, but you're insinuations about Warren and the cpc are borderline disgraceful. I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, so please consider what I say.
"Anytime the community is involved, it has the potential to decrease crime." Exactly, the potential. He thinks the village has done enough to get the word out on this rebate, but not many agree with that. I just get the feeling the left over money will go towards some dumb project or committee. They will probably form a "WTDWTLM" (what to do with the leftover money) committee. And divide it up with all the other committees. Its true I should not take pop shots at them for doing their walks, handing out signs that say "we call police" when we have been doing that for years. One question, has crime gone up or down since the committee was formed? Volunteering to clean and beautify parks are also very commendable things, but how does that prevent or deter crime. Oh well back to the topic, please print out the forms I posted and hand them out to your neighbors, like I said out of 20 people only one knew about it, and she works for the village.
Whats up

Midlothian, IL

#63 Feb 8, 2012
sad case wrote:
<quoted text>"Anytime the community is involved, it has the potential to decrease crime." Exactly, the potential. He thinks the village has done enough to get the word out on this rebate, but not many agree with that. I just get the feeling the left over money will go towards some dumb project or committee. They will probably form a "WTDWTLM" (what to do with the leftover money) committee. And divide it up with all the other committees. Its true I should not take pop shots at them for doing their walks, handing out signs that say "we call police" when we have been doing that for years. One question, has crime gone up or down since the committee was formed? Volunteering to clean and beautify parks are also very commendable things, but how does that prevent or deter crime. Oh well back to the topic, please print out the forms I posted and hand them out to your neighbors, like I said out of 20 people only one knew about it, and she works for the village.
It's not a committee of crime fighters! Learn what you are talking about! The lot that was cleaned up on Turner has taken away a place that the thugs were running to every time the police came. It also took away their ability to hide in the brush and jump out and attack people. The people around there should have cleaned it up to make it safer but since they didn't nobody else should??? It's nobody's responsibility then?? Some of us want to have a safe place to live and we don't hide in our homes watching life on our security monitors.
Have you ever been to National Night Out? Have you seen the turn out and the information that is available there? Who do you think put that together?? The CPC! Without your help! And apparently, against your wishes! Good, don't be a part of the community. We don't need your negative outlook!

“Trust me?”

Since: Jan 10

Oak Forest/Midlothian

#64 Feb 8, 2012
Whats up wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a committee of crime fighters! Learn what you are talking about! The lot that was cleaned up on Turner has taken away a place that the thugs were running to every time the police came. It also took away their ability to hide in the brush and jump out and attack people. The people around there should have cleaned it up to make it safer but since they didn't nobody else should??? It's nobody's responsibility then?? Some of us want to have a safe place to live and we don't hide in our homes watching life on our security monitors.
Have you ever been to National Night Out? Have you seen the turn out and the information that is available there? Who do you think put that together?? The CPC! Without your help! And apparently, against your wishes! Good, don't be a part of the community. We don't need your negative outlook!
Then the term "policing" should be removed from the name. I never said that they did not do anything good for the community in fact they have. I just take exception to him saying the village has done enough to let its citizens know about the rebate and why he would say that. Yes, my family has been to the night out and some other things that they sponsored, the information given to me is common sense, maybe others need to know how to prevent crime on yours and your neighbors property.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#65 Feb 8, 2012
sad case wrote:
<quoted text>So about 1 out of 16 on you block knows about it, well Warren, do you think that is a good number? Maybe you are hoping there is a lot left over to help with your committee does nothing but a few walks and go to sporting events. Like I said before, they do not want people to get what is due to them and where will these dollars go when they are unclaimed?
WOW, Sad, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today or what. What a low blow. His committee is made up of people volunteering their time and putting effort into trying to make our community better. Your statements seem to be asking for proof that they have stopped a crime, but you know they cannot prove that any more than there can be proof that no crime has been stopped by what they are doing. I also don't believe there is another committee that has as many volunteers so there are obviously quite a few people that believe there is merit in what they are doing. Otherwise there would be no volunteers to help with what they are doing.
Your statement about the village might be correct and I'm not trying to argue that point with you. But neither him or his committee stand to benefit anything from any extra income from this money not being claimed.
I personally feel your statement was way out of line.

5yr Midlo Resident

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian, IL

#66 Feb 8, 2012
sad, the point is that not everyone knows what you call "common sense" information. Believe it or not, some people on the committee themselves had some poor practices (like leaving their car unlocked and running in their driveways to warm up) before joining the CPC. Believe it or not, some people still don't know you shouldn't put a big screen tv box out on garbage day for the whole world to see or that you should pay attention to the regular activity on your street so you might notice something out of the ordinary when it happens.

The CPC did clean up Turner Ave to cut down on the area being used for drug sales and also to keep it from being a hiding place when the police are trying to catch crime. Unfortunately, that area is prone to issues. We are not in possession of any statistics yet or data to prove it helped so you'll just have to trust us when we tell you that the police officers appreciated it. We also cleaned it up as part of National Night Out's Project 365 program.( http://www.natw.org/nno/project365.html )

I personally think you are taking potshots at the CPC because you (as you even said) think Warren feels the village did enough notification for the tax rebate. Guess what? That's his opinion. If you disagree with him, give points for what supports your argument, but disrespecting the CPC and those that try to help keep it successful is not only rude, it's off topic. The CPC has zero to do with water bills, taxes or rebates and stands to gain no money if any should be unclaimed. Warren was speaking as a resident not as a member of the CPC.

You have got to get involved more before you can do any more criticizing of the committees, residents or volunteers. You have yet to tell us one thing you did for the village other than handing out a few fliers to your neighbors. I admit that was generous and kind of you, no doubt about it, but that's one thing. The CPC is comprised of many people consistently trying to better Midlo. Maybe we don't have all the ideas. We sure don't claim to, but we are open and receptive to new ones. If you'd like to send us some constructive ideas on how you think we can better "fight crime" or anything you feel we should be doing, email the CPC at [email protected] We welcome your input.

“Trust me?”

Since: Jan 10

Oak Forest/Midlothian

#67 Feb 8, 2012
I just took exception to his statement that the village has done enough to get the word out about the rebate and it makes me wonder (since the vast majority agree they did not), where the unclaimed money will go? Also, how do we know that none of the money may be split among the different committees. As far as the policing committee goes, the name is misleading as they do no policing (at least not yet). Its good to put information out there for people that know no better. If you went through what I wrote, it has nothing to do with putting down their efforts, but the use of the word policing in its title.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#68 Feb 8, 2012
I guess it has to do with your definition of the word policing. I always took it as "policing the area" a type of surveillance which they perform.

“Trust me?”

Since: Jan 10

Oak Forest/Midlothian

#69 Feb 8, 2012
Finally, a real discussion on our Topix page. Its been so long since anyone got really involved in any form of discussion whether they agree or disagree. Can't remember when the room has had any real heated discussions. Seems that one thing we all (except WV) agree upon is that the village really did not do a good job at getting this information out.

“Trust me?”

Since: Jan 10

Oak Forest/Midlothian

#70 Feb 8, 2012
30 years in midlo wrote:
<quoted text>WOW, Sad, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today or what. What a low blow. His committee is made up of people volunteering their time and putting effort into trying to make our community better. Your statements seem to be asking for proof that they have stopped a crime, but you know they cannot prove that any more than there can be proof that no crime has been stopped by what they are doing. I also don't believe there is another committee that has as many volunteers so there are obviously quite a few people that believe there is merit in what they are doing. Otherwise there would be no volunteers to help with what they are doing.
Your statement about the village might be correct and I'm not trying to argue that point with you. But neither him or his committee stand to benefit anything from any extra income from this money not being claimed.
I personally feel your statement was way out of line.
And yes I did wake up on the wrong side of the bed, one of those days. Was up until 4 AM with a sick kid and cleaning up after her, so really never got any sleep.

Since: Jun 09

Midlothian

#71 Feb 8, 2012
sad case wrote:
I just took exception to his statement that the village has done enough to get the word out about the rebate and it makes me wonder (since the vast majority agree they did not), where the unclaimed money will go? Also, how do we know that none of the money may be split among the different committees. As far as the policing committee goes, the name is misleading as they do no policing (at least not yet). Its good to put information out there for people that know no better. If you went through what I wrote, it has nothing to do with putting down their efforts, but the use of the word policing in its title.
This is exactly why I have stayed clear of topix recently. Try to have a discussion on one issue and some yahoo wants to take the opportunity to bad mouth everyone and everything else going on in town with false accusations, innuendos, and unsubstantiated claims.
For the third time, the CPC funds itself, so no, I do not hope the money goes unclaimed, for it would not benefit me or the CPC and furthermore, it is the taxpayers money and they deserve it back.
Also, I do not believe the Village has done enough to get the word out and I said as much in my previous posts. My point was, for the third time, as citizens of a REPUBLIC, some responsibility lies on our shoulders to get involved to know what is going on. We should not be relying solely on our government to tell us what to do, when to do it, and how to do it, for that is a TYRANNY.
As far as your pot shots against the CPC, let me try to clear some things up for you.
It is called the Community POLICING Committee because we work with the Police Department to come up with programs and events that assist the them and to try to create a better, stronger relationship between the residents and the Police Department. No, we are not crime fighters, since we are volunteer, private, unarmed residents. I do not believe it would be wise to send a group of people out, in the middle of the night, with black shirts on, hoping to surprise a potentially armed person. And, by the way, our shirts are blue, not yellow. Maybe the color is going out in your video surveillance system.
The Turner project is just one example of how we help assist our Police Department. The property was overgrown and trash filled and was becoming a problem for our officers, with suspects being able to hide in there and discard potential evidence. Since the clean up, that problem has gone away. Yes, in a perfect world, the owners or neighbors would have cleaned up the mess, but that wasn't happening, so we took the bull by the horns and cleaned it up. I drove by there the other day, and with the exception of some litter, it still looks pretty good, and more importantly, our officers haven't had any issues there since.
As far as our useless walks, as you call them, we have been able to notice and report such things as street lights that are out, drinking and loitering behind businesses and in our parks, kids vandalizing park equipment, and many suspicios activity incidents, all of which goes toward preventing future crime.
Just so you know, we do more than just walk and hand out signs. We help support the local D.A.R.E. and G.R.E.A.T. programs and the National Child Safety Council, and we are members of the National Neighborhood Watch Institute and the National Night Out Organization.
As far as our sports outings, this creates a fun, affordable way to get out and meet your neighbors and some of your Police Officers. The better you know your neighbors, the more likely it is you will look out for them.

“Trust me?”

Since: Jan 10

Oak Forest/Midlothian

#72 Feb 8, 2012
warren vista wrote:
<quoted text>
This is exactly why I have stayed clear of topix recently. Try to have a discussion on one issue and some yahoo wants to take the opportunity to bad mouth everyone and everything else going on in town with false accusations, innuendos, and unsubstantiated claims.
For the third time, the CPC funds itself, so no, I do not hope the money goes unclaimed, for it would not benefit me or the CPC and furthermore, it is the taxpayers money and they deserve it back.
Also, I do not believe the Village has done enough to get the word out and I said as much in my previous posts. My point was, for the third time, as citizens of a REPUBLIC, some responsibility lies on our shoulders to get involved to know what is going on. We should not be relying solely on our government to tell us what to do, when to do it, and how to do it, for that is a TYRANNY.
As far as your pot shots against the CPC, let me try to clear some things up for you.
It is called the Community POLICING Committee because we work with the Police Department to come up with programs and events that assist the them and to try to create a better, stronger relationship between the residents and the Police Department. No, we are not crime fighters, since we are volunteer, private, unarmed residents. I do not believe it would be wise to send a group of people out, in the middle of the night, with black shirts on, hoping to surprise a potentially armed person. And, by the way, our shirts are blue, not yellow. Maybe the color is going out in your video surveillance system.
The Turner project is just one example of how we help assist our Police Department. The property was overgrown and trash filled and was becoming a problem for our officers, with suspects being able to hide in there and discard potential evidence. Since the clean up, that problem has gone away. Yes, in a perfect world, the owners or neighbors would have cleaned up the mess, but that wasn't happening, so we took the bull by the horns and cleaned it up. I drove by there the other day, and with the exception of some litter, it still looks pretty good, and more importantly, our officers haven't had any issues there since.
As far as our useless walks, as you call them, we have been able to notice and report such things as street lights that are out, drinking and loitering behind businesses and in our parks, kids vandalizing park equipment, and many suspicios activity incidents, all of which goes toward preventing future crime.
Just so you know, we do more than just walk and hand out signs. We help support the local D.A.R.E. and G.R.E.A.T. programs and the National Child Safety Council, and we are members of the National Neighborhood Watch Institute and the National Night Out Organization.
As far as our sports outings, this creates a fun, affordable way to get out and meet your neighbors and some of your Police Officers. The better you know your neighbors, the more likely it is you will look out for them.
Point taken, since you were at the meeting, does the village have plans for the leftover money?

5yr Midlo Resident

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian, IL

#73 Feb 8, 2012
Good post warren. Thanks for hitting the points I missed. I knew there was more that could be said on the topic.
Just saying

Midlothian, IL

#74 Feb 10, 2012
Poor Sad Case. You look like a fool, yet again! I see you gave up your argument pretty quick when you couldn't get anyone to agree with you. So let's hope from now on you just stick to things you know the facts about.
Thank you to ALL of the volunteers in town. You are not frowned upon by everyone. Just Sad Case.

Since: Jun 09

Midlothian

#75 Feb 10, 2012
sad case wrote:
<quoted text>Point taken, since you were at the meeting, does the village have plans for the leftover money?
There was no discussion of any unclaimed money and what to do with it. So, whatever unclaimed money there is, will apparently stay in the general fund to be used to pay Village bills. There was however, discussion from one Trustee that more needed to be done to get the word out, so that everyone that deserved a refund knew about it.
Midlo resident

Midlothian, IL

#76 Feb 10, 2012
Let's face it hardly any of the money will be given back. I went up there with proof of taxes paid and I didn't have itemized bill. The girl very pleasant girl mind you , said I needed the itemized with taxes paid to Midlo. I asked her because of the amount in taxes paid shouldn't they know how much I paid my village she said no.Suggested having tax bill mailed to me .I m done there goes my 5 dollars into the general fund.

“Trust me?”

Since: Jan 10

Oak Forest/Midlothian

#77 Feb 10, 2012
Midlo resident wrote:
Let's face it hardly any of the money will be given back. I went up there with proof of taxes paid and I didn't have itemized bill. The girl very pleasant girl mind you , said I needed the itemized with taxes paid to Midlo. I asked her because of the amount in taxes paid shouldn't they know how much I paid my village she said no.Suggested having tax bill mailed to me .I m done there goes my 5 dollars into the general fund.
This is exactly why I posted detailed instructions so people would not have to waste their time going to village hall and not having the right documents. They should be able to do the math one would think as what the village gets is a percentage of the total bill, I suppose using a calculator is too much work for them. http://www.topix.com/city/midlothian-il/2012/...

5yr Midlo Resident

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian, IL

#78 Feb 10, 2012
I think you two are missing the point that it's for their records from a legal standpoint. They need proof in writing for audit purposes so quit complaining, and just order your FREE detailed report. It will be there in 3 business days. Don't let them keep your money just because you don't want to wait 3 days for the itemized bill. Get your $5. I realize it's some effort, but it's not that bad.

“Trust me?”

Since: Jan 10

Oak Forest/Midlothian

#79 Feb 10, 2012
5yr Midlo Resident wrote:
I think you two are missing the point that it's for their records from a legal standpoint. They need proof in writing for audit purposes so quit complaining, and just order your FREE detailed report. It will be there in 3 business days. Don't let them keep your money just because you don't want to wait 3 days for the itemized bill. Get your $5. I realize it's some effort, but it's not that bad.
Pretty much what I am saying to, but even the information on the application does not ask for a detailed bill, here is the exact wording:

"A copy of the second installment of the 2010 Cook County property tax bill.
Proof of full payment of both the first and second installments of Cook County Taxes.
(Acceptable proof of payment: Canceled checks or Cook County paid receipts. The
Village will also accept a copy of the Cook County Treasurer’s online statement showing paid taxes"

I posted what you really need and how to go about getting it so people would not waste time going there and not having the right bill.

5yr Midlo Resident

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian, IL

#80 Feb 10, 2012
I thought it was common sense since it asked for how much I paid in Midlo taxes, and that information is only on the detailed bill. Granted it didn't say that, but if you've EVER looked at your bill you know that.
Not that funny

Midlothian, IL

#81 Feb 10, 2012
5yr Midlo Resident wrote:
I thought it was common sense since it asked for how much I paid in Midlo taxes, and that information is only on the detailed bill. Granted it didn't say that, but if you've EVER looked at your bill you know that.
Midlo you're an idiot rude and just plain not nice

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Midlothian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 15 Wounded In Tuesday Shootings Across Chicago 19 min Resident 4
First National Bank Buildings to be Auctioned 1 hr Resident 2
Dolton city sticker tickets given on private pr... (Jul '10) 4 hr Resident 9
Will the Real Robert Rita Please Stand Up (Jan '16) 8 hr Change is needed 37
Midlothian Memories (Jan '10) Jul 26 greenwood slim 339
House of Hughes Jul 26 greenwood slim 12
Midlothian Park District Playground Jul 26 micki dumesnil 3

Midlothian Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Midlothian Mortgages