Midlo Shooting
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Wondering Why

AOL

#1 Jan 25, 2009
Anyone know any details about the fatal shooting by St.Stephens on Saturday night? WGN didn't give much. Was he walking,riding,gang, etc?

“I don't do sarcasm...but... ”

Since: Jan 08

sometimes I get provoked!

#2 Jan 25, 2009
From WGM news...

Man fatally shot in Midlothian
January 25, 2009 2:00 PM | No Comments

A 28-year-old man was fatally shot Saturday in Midlothian, officials said this afternoon.

The victim was identified as 28-year-old Ryan Powers, of the 600 block of Clover Lane in south suburban University Park, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office. He was pronounced dead shortly after 8 p.m. at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.

The shooting happened near 147th Street and Kildare Avenue in the southwest suburb, the medical examiner's office said.

They added that an autopsy today revealed he died of a gunshot wound to the back, and his death was ruled a homicide.

Midlothian police could not provide any details about the homicide this afternoon.
not shocked

United States

#3 Jan 25, 2009
Wondering Why wrote:
Anyone know any details about the fatal shooting by St.Stephens on Saturday night? WGN didn't give much. Was he walking,riding,gang, etc?
Apparently it was a drug deal gone bad. The would be 'buyer' got whacked. Police had the street blocked off and police tape around a car. I know someone who moved off this street a few years ago because she was tired of seeing criminal activity out her front window on a daily basis. But this must be an isolated incident because everyone knows that Midlo does not have a drug or gang problem.
not shocked as well

Midlothian, IL

#4 Jan 25, 2009
This is the only house on that street that has any problems!! There are issues w/ this paticular residence on a regular basis!! Other than that, it's a pretty quiet area.
Angels in Heaven

AOL

#5 Jan 25, 2009
I sure hope Midlo brings in the State to do the investigation, because we all know that Midlo's not the brightest at solving murders.
GoneNever be forgotten

Midlothian, IL

#6 Jan 25, 2009
As usual theres always two sides to every story...as the story around town comes in. Ones things for sure....Ryan Powers was a family guy...Although Ryan and I never really talked since baseball freshmen year, we were friends. I had the pleasure of running into Ryan last summer as he was teaching his son to hit at the local Alsip batting cages....You could tell that kid was his life and he'd do anything for him...Thats the Ryan I'll remember....not the one this post talks about....So everyone knows Ryan Powers was from Midlothian.....Midlothian was his hometown...He wasnt just some guy passing by.....
Wondering Why

AOL

#7 Jan 25, 2009
not shocked wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently it was a drug deal gone bad. The would be 'buyer' got whacked. Police had the street blocked off and police tape around a car. I know someone who moved off this street a few years ago because she was tired of seeing criminal activity out her front window on a daily basis. But this must be an isolated incident because everyone knows that Midlo does not have a drug or gang problem.
Was it North or South of 147? Don't really matter because it happened. No one ever said Midlo don't have a problem. All towns do. It's just unusual for the "west" side of town.
Next2u

Midlothian, IL

#8 Jan 25, 2009
East side, west side, north, south, Does it matter? NO, NO, NO... What matters is that we have another person who has gotten into drugs for whatever his reason was and was going to buy or had bought and this is the end result!!!!!!!!!!
I also know Ryan from younger days of him playing baseball and had not seen nor heard about him for some time, when things like this happen regardless what side of the tracks it is on, it hit's home. How sad for his family but most off for his child, to grow up with out a dad and to young to ever remember anything about him except what he now will be told......
People need to think about what is left behind and that the DRUGS, will only ruin your life, nothing ever good can come from it, NEVER.... Ryan is proof of this..... RIP Ryan and God Bless your family....
tooclosetohome

Midlothian, IL

#9 Jan 25, 2009
I live on the block where this happened. Also, my husband and I went to school with Ryan. I can tell you that this hits too close to home. We picked this house mainly because it was a dead end street and we knew that having children this was ideal. Yes, the house in question, there is CONSTANTLY problems, people coming and going all hours of the night...we're not stupid we know whats going on there. We have called the police several times in the past years and they have done nothing. Its sad that someone had to die in order for someone to realize that there is something going on. It was 7pm on a Saturday night, anyone could have been outside, they could have missed and hit any number of the children that live on this block. I want a safe block for my children. I want a safe block for my family. I hope Midlothian has their game faces on because talking to the people on my block, no one is going to let this happen again. Not here.
And yes, it does suck that Ryan left behind loved ones, but he picked this path. He put himself in harms way. Also, the house in question has 3 kids living there. They all saw this go down. How sad for all the children. Thats who we all should feel sorry for; that their parents put them in harms way. How truly sad.
mrmidlothipk

Midlothian, IL

#10 Jan 26, 2009
The last time I checked most killings have happened on the west side of town, the walgreens incident? Now this, the whole town has its problems with "imports" to this town. House rule should be passed, and get the appartments cleaned up. But evidently he was there for a reason, he did not have any weapons on himself, but was up to no good.
midlothian resident

Midlothian, IL

#11 Jan 26, 2009
It was a bad drug deal!! live by the gun, die by the gun!! O yeh.. remember his brother murdered someone a few years ago... what goes around comes around i suppose... The town is changing and the crime is up
midlothian mom

Blue Island, IL

#12 Jan 26, 2009
I remember Ryan as a really great kid. He loved basketball and he loved his family. They had some issues, but he supported them and was a genuinely nice person. I saw him recently, and he didn't seem to have changed much. Nice, decent, respectful. Yes he made some bad choices, but that doesn't make him a bad person, and he certainly didn't deserve this. My sympathy to his family and friends. It's a real shame.
Wondering Why

AOL

#13 Jan 26, 2009
mrmidlothipk wrote:
The last time I checked most killings have happened on the west side of town, the walgreens incident? Now this, the whole town has its problems with "imports" to this town. House rule should be passed, and get the appartments cleaned up. But evidently he was there for a reason, he did not have any weapons on himself, but was up to no good.
Just out of curiosity because I don't know, was he originally from Midlo? If so, what part? Yes, it's a shame that in 2009, people still have to have Drugs as a part of their lives. Also, if the house in question has a lot of "goings on" and Some say Midlo didn't do anything, why not call Cook County? This is a Neighborhood watch town. Again, not knowing but, what would Home Rule do? People would find a way around that with the "great" ACLU. Suspect in custody?
mrmidlothipk

Midlothian, IL

#14 Jan 26, 2009
The "keep quiet ghetto law" where people just do not trust police is becoming a nation wide trend, with the rights of individual being violated constantly. If anyone witnessed this crime, be sure to have a lawyer come with you before speaking up. If you are curious why watch this :
http://video.google.com/videoplay... , when the citizens are afraid of the police something is wrong. This is due to the way people view most officers these days, after civil liberties are thrown out the window, in all departments accross the country. Cops are making up things to get arrest, abusing thier own authority and lying for each other. Police have acted in illegal manners to get arrest in impoverished neighborhoods, but now it has moved to the mainstream, comply with what I say, even if you did not break the law or risk the consequences, hoping that after they attack you, you strike back. If no witnesses are present then the cop is always in the right. Departments will not release information on allegations of police misconduct in thier departments, this is the police's "code of silence", remember the law says "anything you say can be used against you" but FYI anything you say can not be used to help you. In fact innocent people who gave statement have been found guilty on the word of an officer taken out of context. Just watch the video, then look up cases of police misconduct, you will be surprised, or maybe not, just a bit of advice for any witnesses, if they do not have a suspect, then a witness is the closest thing they have.
mrmidlothipk

Midlothian, IL

#15 Jan 26, 2009
oh yes and if you watch the whole video, even the Detective says the professor is right.
concerned

Markham, IL

#16 Jan 26, 2009
Wondering Why wrote:
<quoted text>
Just out of curiosity because I don't know, was he originally from Midlo? If so, what part? Yes, it's a shame that in 2009, people still have to have Drugs as a part of their lives. Also, if the house in question has a lot of "goings on" and Some say Midlo didn't do anything, why not call Cook County? This is a Neighborhood watch town. Again, not knowing but, what would Home Rule do? People would find a way around that with the "great" ACLU. Suspect in custody?
Suspect in custody? lol. How would we, the people, know? The PD has clamped the lid on this. We'll know nothing. And for all the people with the sympathy for this punk - Get flippin real. How many lives have been ruined by his drug deals? How many people died getting those drugs from Columbia to Chicago? He was a scumbag drugdealer!! You reap what you sow. Part of our problem as a society is sympathy for criminals. Glad he's gone!!!!!!!!!!
JMidlo

Joliet, IL

#17 Jan 26, 2009
30yrs. in Midlothian grew up in a beautiful town.Watched & partook in decline of values & introduction of the elements i am sorry.But i will say that i know Ryan from the block in diapers,never been to close but was one of Midlo's son's & had always shone other brothers love.A loving father is hard to come by these days,and he will be missed & remembered.To his father,being the father of two spectacular children i am so sorry for his lose. GBM RIPRP
Sam Daily

Phoenix, AZ

#18 Jan 26, 2009
R.I.P to my boy Ryan Powers.I dont understand why thy would kill him he was a cool as dude.For the one who did this he has a 8 year old son and a baby on the way.I met Ryan in Harvey back in 1997 he was a good basketball player.I also went to Bremen with him as well man u would be greatly missed not only in Midlothian,but he will be missed in Markham,Harvey,Dolton,Robbins he is also good friends with Dwayne Wade.R.I.P homie.Bremen Class of 98.
my hometown

Noblesville, IN

#19 Jan 26, 2009
You know what its really sad to see someone you knew, die so young leaving so much or so little behind. I will say that regardless of what Ryan did with his life and others in his path is none of my business. People live their lives the way they choose and what happens along that road is nothing for us to judge or make comments like "Glad he's gone" Did you know him? Did he do anything to you personally to make you say such a comment? If so, well then maybe you have a reason to say something like that but I went to school with him, graduated with him, grew up in the same town but you know what we all grow in different directions. Some may end up in the wrong and things like this happen. But again who are we to judge them. Things in life happen for a reason. But I think of it like this its unfortunate and sad to see something like this happen, ecspecially when you can say I knew that person. He's only human he made mistakes but regardless, he was a son, a brother, a father, a grandson, a nephew, a cousin, gosh dang it he was a person who made some bad choices that lead to this comment being written. May god be with his loved ones during this tragic moment. And my sympathy goes towards those who loved him. R.I.P. Ryan
Wondering Why

AOL

#20 Jan 26, 2009
my hometown wrote:
You know what its really sad to see someone you knew, die so young leaving so much or so little behind. I will say that regardless of what Ryan did with his life and others in his path is none of my business. People live their lives the way they choose and what happens along that road is nothing for us to judge or make comments like "Glad he's gone" Did you know him? Did he do anything to you personally to make you say such a comment? If so, well then maybe you have a reason to say something like that but I went to school with him, graduated with him, grew up in the same town but you know what we all grow in different directions. Some may end up in the wrong and things like this happen. But again who are we to judge them. Things in life happen for a reason. But I think of it like this its unfortunate and sad to see something like this happen, ecspecially when you can say I knew that person. He's only human he made mistakes but regardless, he was a son, a brother, a father, a grandson, a nephew, a cousin, gosh dang it he was a person who made some bad choices that lead to this comment being written. May god be with his loved ones during this tragic moment. And my sympathy goes towards those who loved him. R.I.P. Ryan
Yes, very tragic indeed. Who are we to judge? Especially if we also have Children because even though we may teach them right, as they get older they make their own choices whether they be right or wrong in our eyes. To say 'Good" is very wrong. Today a family is in tears.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Midlothian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mike Cornell 14 min Rent a Cop 18
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) 27 min JustTheFacts 149
What do City Clerk Randy Heuser, Fred Biloto, C... 38 min Pimp Slapped 3
Who still remembers the "Salgado" Incident? 1 hr CASA 1
Union Yard Signs (Sep '12) Nov 12 TheExecutive 103
Scumbag settlement leach and woman beater ART TOTH Nov 11 Obumer 11
deleted threads Nov 10 hello 1

Midlothian Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Midlothian Mortgages