Fire Department
hmmmmmm

Oak Lawn, IL

#21 Oct 17, 2012
Pipe Down wrote:
Hey MFD keep your mouth shut. You have a good job with great benefits. You are lucky with the small amount of calls you run you are not volunteer or part time..the cost in the budget for the FD can be considered way out of proportion to the amount of calls you run. Posen runs almost the same amount of calls, Tinley 0Park, Crestwood and Evergreen Park run almost double your call volume and are all part time. If they can do it so can Midlothian. So stop with you childish postings it could really hurt you in the long run.
All of those towns you mentioned should be full-time. Sounds like you are a bitter person that could not pass the civil service exam. So why don't you pipe down or stop by one of the fire stations and say it the their faces. People like you like to stir the pot using the Internet because you are to much of a coward to do it in person.
ha

Midlothian, IL

#22 Oct 17, 2012
hmmmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>All of those towns you mentioned should be full-time. Sounds like you are a bitter person that could not pass the civil service exam. So why don't you pipe down or stop by one of the fire stations and say it the their faces. People like you like to stir the pot using the Internet because you are to much of a coward to do it in person.
Throttle down big tough union fireman. Most of the guys on these departments are full time somewhere else and or working there because they love the job not money and I'm sure them guys would tell you the same thing that most if these guys are better then some of the full timers. And I can't wait when Midlo does go part time it will save this town tons of money.
hmmmmmm

Oak Lawn, IL

#23 Oct 17, 2012
ha wrote:
<quoted text>Throttle down big tough union fireman. Most of the guys on these departments are full time somewhere else and or working there because they love the job not money and I'm sure them guys would tell you the same thing that most if these guys are better then some of the full timers. And I can't wait when Midlo does go part time it will save this town tons of money.
Again you like the cover of the Internet, come to one of the firehouses and say it to their faces. So you didn't deny you couldn't pass the civil service exam, must by why you are on the kick of part-time. There is nothing wrong with part-time fire departments, however the full-time department employees should not have to lose their careers because of people like you.
Midlo Tax Payer

Blue Island, IL

#24 Oct 17, 2012
hmmmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you like the cover of the Internet, come to one of the firehouses and say it to their faces. So you didn't deny you couldn't pass the civil service exam, must by why you are on the kick of part-time. There is nothing wrong with part-time fire departments, however the full-time department employees should not have to lose their careers because of people like you.
To hmmmmmm, as a taxpayer I feel i need to address both of your previous posts. Why do all of the towns mentioned need to be "full-time"? Is that your personal opinion or do you have facts to back up your statement?
How do you know the person could not or has not passed a civil service exam? How can you judge someone's educational background from a post. It sure sounds to me you are a bitter person by your harsh response. And if a person did go down to the firehouse and expressed the opinion thus exercising their rights guaranteed to them under the 1st amendment of the Unites States Constitution then what?
Again you seem to be challenging the poster in a hostile manner by the tone of your posts. How about this. I did some research. How would you like it if the other poster said you could not place high enough on the civil service exams of much larger fire departments like Oak Lawn, Orland Park, Frankfort, Naperville, Aurora, Elgin to name a few towns. You could only pass Midlothians because only a few people test for Midlothian unlike the hundreds or even thousand who test for the other much larger aforementioned towns?
You see in the private sector nothing is guaranteed. The public sector is finding out in this terrible economy their job status is no longer guaranteed.
There is something here much larger then the employees of the fire department. It is the town surviving. Tax payers have had to cut back do to lost wages, benefits and even jobs.
You look at Midlothian's fire departments budget. It is very larger for the amount of calls they run. Midlothian Fire Department doesn’t even have paramedic or provide that service. It is out sourced.
So in these trying times why not look at eliminating the full time personnel and staff it with qualified part time firefighters. If Posen, Crestwood, Evergreen Park and Tinley Park can do it why not Midlothian? After all, most of those towns are larger and all of them with the exception of Posen respond to a lot more calls for service then Midlothian does. I do not hear any citizens in those towns complaining.
This comes down to what is better for Midlothian not what is best for the full time firefighters.

After all it is people like me who pay taxes nd are tired of paying high taxes for public employees exorbinate benefit packages. It is people like me who have a right to voice our opinion and vote in elected officals. Nothing should be off the table when it comes to what is best for the tax payers.
Winston

Alsip, IL

#25 Oct 17, 2012
I like the cut of your jib, sir!
Iwasone

Chicago, IL

#26 Oct 18, 2012
What I can't fathom is if the fire department pays so well, then how come most of the full time people also hold full time jobs elsewhere.Am I wrong in assuming that 75 thousand in firefighter pay and say 55 thou in say comcast pay isn't enough?
ummm

Midlothian, IL

#27 Oct 18, 2012
clyde wrote:
In order for Sheehy to get the bump in his pension, he had to take a few classes to get certified and or recertified.

Now Steve has all the extra work of getting the F.D. up to date with the State & Federal certifications that have not been done in the past 7 years.

Also the gas bill for the village will go down. Seeing that the residents will no longer pay for all the gas Sheehy uses. He thinks that the Chiefs car is his personal car. 80000 plus miles in 3 years
How did so many miles get on that car? I know Midlo's not that busy
Iwasone

Chicago, IL

#28 Oct 18, 2012
He used it as his personal vehicle and drove it no matter where he went. I once noticed he was a Kmart in Tinley on a rainy Saturday afternoon. When asking him about his children being in a village vehicle, he just turned and walked away.God forbid he was in an accident. Then the village would be paying the cost of family injuries. Unless of course he sued the village for them being in the car. Unless it is answering a call, then no village car should be out of town.
Fire Car

Midlothian, IL

#29 Oct 18, 2012
Iwasone wrote:
He used it as his personal vehicle and drove it no matter where he went. I once noticed he was a Kmart in Tinley on a rainy Saturday afternoon. When asking him about his children being in a village vehicle, he just turned and walked away.God forbid he was in an accident. Then the village would be paying the cost of family injuries. Unless of course he sued the village for them being in the car. Unless it is answering a call, then no village car should be out of town.
Well since the village provides medical insurance to employees they will be paying for any injuries through their health insurance. It is a moot point.

I do like the idea of qualified part time firefighters. If those other towns can do it so can we. For the little amount of fires in Midlothian and out sourcing paramedic services there is no need for full time.
yeah

United States

#30 Oct 18, 2012
Fire Car wrote:
<quoted text>Well since the village provides medical insurance to employees they will be paying for any injuries through their health insurance. It is a moot point.

I do like the idea of qualified part time firefighters. If those other towns can do it so can we. For the little amount of fires in Midlothian and out sourcing paramedic services there is no need for full time.
They already outsource the paramedics and agree about the firefighters
wow

United States

#31 Oct 18, 2012
Every time they have a fire look at all the equitment that they don't use, they need to make them part-time, and they don't need 2 stations
Agreed

Blue Island, IL

#32 Oct 18, 2012
wow wrote:
Every time they have a fire look at all the equitment that they don't use, they need to make them part-time, and they don't need 2 stations
That is a lot of money in the budget we could reallocate to much needed updating of our outdated infrastructure throughout the village and then lowering taxes.Lets get this ball rolling.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#33 Oct 19, 2012
I don't know the way Midlo has the rules for operating a company vehicle set up, but when I had a job that provided a company vehicle I was required to drive it everywhere I went. They provided it to me and provided the upkeep because they wanted me to have no excuses why I couldn't get to work from wherever I was when the job required it. And my job as certainly not as important as that of a fireman.
As far as 2 stations, the tracks dividing the village makes it necessary to have equipment on each side in case of an emergency while a freight train has the tracks blocked.
yeah

Midlothian, IL

#34 Oct 19, 2012
wow wrote:
Wrong they do need 2 stations in that town cause of the tracks.
wow

United States

#35 Oct 20, 2012
yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong they do need 2 stations in that town cause of the tracks.
what do they have for manpower at station 2, and the only ambulance for the hole town is in that station, it save a lot of money to close it down, or just hire part-time people, was told Garden homes fire department is ran on a and budget less then $80,000 a year
your right

Blue Island, IL

#36 Oct 20, 2012
wow wrote:
<quoted text>what do they have for manpower at station 2, and the only ambulance for the hole town is in that station, it save a lot of money to close it down, or just hire part-time people, was told Garden homes fire department is ran on a and budget less then $80,000 a year
if a town that is 4 square blocks can do it so can our town .
yeah

Midlothian, IL

#37 Oct 20, 2012
You can't compare Midlo to garden homes they need two at stations due to the fact that they have the tracks they both need to be maned part time or full time. Part time would be cheaper and would save the town a lot of money and would get the same quality(sorry to offend any full time UNION guys) but that's where this town is heading We are operating in the red
southtown

Midlothian, IL

#39 Oct 21, 2012
Read page 4 in today's paper. Big union Chicago firefighter CREDITS his TRAINING to oak lawn hmmmmm isn't oak lawn a part time dept.
Interested

United States

#40 Oct 22, 2012
Oak Lawn is a full time department (Union as well)...comment intended to answer the previous post only.

Back to topic, best of luck to both chiefs.
southtown

Midlothian, IL

#41 Oct 22, 2012
Yeah mis-read thought it was evergreen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Midlothian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BIIP and Blue Island 2 hr Qwerty 134
Lasalle king the new police chief in blue island 2 hr Plain and Simple 31
Local Politics Do you approve of Robert Rita as State Represen... (Mar '12) 2 hr Time for Change 24
Improving OUR Community 3 hr Improving Our Com... 86
Can someone answer my question? 4 hr Watchdog 15
2018 MLK parade on Western? 5 hr Taxpayer 11
Incarnation school closing? 6 hr Saveincarrrrr 9

Midlothian Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Midlothian Mortgages