First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Common Sense

Midlothian, IL

#1 Dec 8, 2012
As a resident with a major in economics and a minor in sociology it has become apparent that Midlothian is becoming an economically impoverished neighborhood, aka a “ghetto”. It is known that during an economic downturn alcohol, sex, and lottery sales flourish. What differentiates a “ghetto” from a struggling neighborhood is when the only stores left are those that sell alcohol, sex, and lottery. We are almost there. We have a new sex motel that is flourishing, emporium liquors has rebuilt to a much larger location and stores that are a staple in most communities are closing. The only way to save our community, if that is even possible at this stage, is to bring in new politicians. I am not going to rant about Midlothians storied political past, but realistically we have had one mayor for 40+- years. Harry Raday taught Tom Murowski who taught Terry Stephens. Nothing has changed and the result is what we have today. I was born and raised in this town and am sickened by what I see. It is a shame that a community that pride built is now a community destroyed by arrogance.
yesser doodle

Midlothian, IL

#2 Dec 8, 2012
They destroy everything and anything they touch. Everything. The pattern repeats....
Wise Owl

Orland Park, IL

#3 Dec 8, 2012
With an academic background in economics and sociology you should realize that you can't blame what is happening in Midlothian on the politicians. It is purely economic and sciological factors that are to explain for the depressed state of affairs there. In my experience this has been a blue collar community made up primarily of those with high school education and or trade school. Those types of employees have been hit hard over the past twenty to thirty years with plant closings etc. Those that have become college educated with higher incomes have for the most part moved on and taken their money with them. When there was ample employment in the area with relatively high paying jobs, towns like Midlothian and Posen actually prospered. The same phenomenon hit Harvey years earlier with the closing of Wyman Gordon, Allis Chalmers, ARCO research, Maremont Muffler, Wisconsin Steel, International Harvester etc. Next the car dealerships and stores, and mall closed as the residents had little or no disposable income to spend on these items. The decrease in sales and property tax revenue makes it difficult to provide basic services like police and fire protection. How you can blame politicians who have been desperately trying to sail a ship that has been sinking for many years is beyond me. Unless you can persuade people with a large amount of disposable income (professionals)to live, shop and invest in the area, turning the economic situation around is going to be impossible. Blue Island, Chicago Heights, Calumet City and other towns are experiencing many of the same issues. Maybe public forums are the answer with other experts in economics and sociology solving these problems which seem to be common to aging blue collar inner ring communities.
midloguy30

Midlothian, IL

#4 Dec 8, 2012
You wont often hear me defend the politicians in this town because I am no fan but this isn't their fault. White people are fleeing cook county by the boatload. There is only a handful of people from my Bremen graduation class left in town. The towns east of us have been "turning over" one by one in a line. This is more about Bremen High School then Sunrise Chevrolet. Families have moved west to avoid bordering the likes of Posen and Markham. Posen used to be nice, so was Harvey, so was Roseland. So was Blue Island. So was Cal Park, and Cal City. When you live next to the Border town, guess what? Next you are the border town. Nothing anyone is gonna do is gonna change that.
Now people are gonna call me a racist and that's fine. But the truth is what it is and in this case the answer is black and white.
wow

Chicago, IL

#5 Dec 9, 2012
midloguy30 wrote:
You wont often hear me defend the politicians in this town because I am no fan but this isn't their fault. White people are fleeing cook county by the boatload. There is only a handful of people from my Bremen graduation class left in town. The towns east of us have been "turning over" one by one in a line. This is more about Bremen High School then Sunrise Chevrolet. Families have moved west to avoid bordering the likes of Posen and Markham. Posen used to be nice, so was Harvey, so was Roseland. So was Blue Island. So was Cal Park, and Cal City. When you live next to the Border town, guess what? Next you are the border town. Nothing anyone is gonna do is gonna change that.
Now people are gonna call me a racist and that's fine. But the truth is what it is and in this case the answer is black and white.
sad but true, what is next to close up

“"Never Been KO'd"”

Since: May 12

Midlothain,IL

#6 Dec 9, 2012
Bremen High School Demographics

Hispanic 37%

Black 32%

Caucasian 30%

Asian 1%

http://publicschoolsk12.com/high-schools/il/c...

“"Never Been KO'd"”

Since: May 12

Midlothain,IL

#7 Dec 9, 2012
Central Park School Demographics

Black 37%

Hispanic 35%

Caucasian 28%

Asian 1%

http://publicschoolsk12.com/elementary-school...
Hey what

Alsip, IL

#8 Dec 9, 2012
midloguy30 wrote:
The people running this town are white. How many blacks and hispanics are in the village board? You are a racist, and of course...that's just fine.
resident

Midlothian, IL

#9 Dec 9, 2012
Common Sense wrote:
As a resident with a major in economics and a minor in sociology it has become apparent that Midlothian is becoming an economically impoverished neighborhood, aka a “ghetto”. It is known that during an economic downturn alcohol, sex, and lottery sales flourish. What differentiates a “ghetto” from a struggling neighborhood is when the only stores left are those that sell alcohol, sex, and lottery. We are almost there. We have a new sex motel that is flourishing, emporium liquors has rebuilt to a much larger location and stores that are a staple in most communities are closing. The only way to save our community, if that is even possible at this stage, is to bring in new politicians. I am not going to rant about Midlothians storied political past, but realistically we have had one mayor for 40+- years. Harry Raday taught Tom Murowski who taught Terry Stephens. Nothing has changed and the result is what we have today. I was born and raised in this town and am sickened by what I see. It is a shame that a community that pride built is now a community destroyed by arrogance.
interesting theory, but I believe it's all part of the life cycle of a town. it's dying and it needs to. whole areas need to be leveled before anyone considers a significant investment here. it's no consolation, but we're not alone. it's happening throughout the country, big and small towns alike. look at detroit. sad that most politicians believe we can borrow our way to prosperity.
midloguy30

Midlothian, IL

#10 Dec 9, 2012
Hey what wrote:
<quoted text>
The people running this town are white. How many blacks and hispanics are in the village board? You are a racist, and of course...that's just fine.
What does the racial make up of a handful of village officials have to do with anything. I am talking about the makeup of the town. The makeup of BHS. We are the most western town that feeds into Bremen...big problem.

Lets take a look.

Census reports about posens white population.

1930-100%
1960- 99%
1990- 94%
2000-75%
2009-27%

BHS psae testing scores average passing score for science, reading and math
2004-50%(state average)
2011-30%(acemdenic warning/probation)

Tu comprehende?

You notice the trend here.Increased minority presense brings down testing scores. Makes the white man leave.
midloguy30

Midlothian, IL

#11 Dec 9, 2012
And when the white man leaves minorities move in. And when minorities move in they rob 7/11's, they jump kids at St. Chris. They beat men walking down the creek returning from work. They sell drugs at Central Park School. They turn apartment complexes into ghettos. They turn the little league fields behind McDonald's into garbage cans. They destroy towns and schools.
wow

Chicago, IL

#12 Dec 9, 2012
Hey what wrote:
<quoted text>
he's not a racist that is true, to much secretion 8 in town, I don't buy anything in town sick of the people asking for money free rent and link card is not enough for them,
Common Sense

Midlothian, IL

#13 Dec 9, 2012
Wise Owl wrote:
With an academic background in economics and sociology you should realize that you can't blame what is happening in Midlothian on the politicians. It is purely economic and sciological factors that are to explain for the depressed state of affairs there. In my experience this has been a blue collar community made up primarily of those with high school education and or trade school. Those types of employees have been hit hard over the past twenty to thirty years with plant closings etc. Those that have become college educated with higher incomes have for the most part moved on and taken their money with them. When there was ample employment in the area with relatively high paying jobs, towns like Midlothian and Posen actually prospered. The same phenomenon hit Harvey years earlier with the closing of Wyman Gordon, Allis Chalmers, ARCO research, Maremont Muffler, Wisconsin Steel, International Harvester etc. Next the car dealerships and stores, and mall closed as the residents had little or no disposable income to spend on these items. The decrease in sales and property tax revenue makes it difficult to provide basic services like police and fire protection. How you can blame politicians who have been desperately trying to sail a ship that has been sinking for many years is beyond me. Unless you can persuade people with a large amount of disposable income (professionals)to live, shop and invest in the area, turning the economic situation around is going to be impossible. Blue Island, Chicago Heights, Calumet City and other towns are experiencing many of the same issues. Maybe public forums are the answer with other experts in economics and sociology solving these problems which seem to be common to aging blue collar inner ring communities.
Crestwood and Oak Forest are blue collar communities and they seem to be surviving this economic downturn. The big difference are the politicians. They make the business decisions that guide their respective community. Say what you want about Chester but he ran Crestwood like a business, and yes he has part time employees, new businesses are building there all of the time. Oak Forest goes through mayors quicker than most towns, but it is working for them. Harry Raday and Tom Murowski hedged everything on car dealerships. During Radays rein there was a downturn in vehicle sales and the village was financially crippled. Murowski kept the hedging going often refusing to let businesses in because, "that is not what we want Midlothian to be". I doubt that he wanted Midlothian to become Harvey, but we are headed down that road. Terry Stephens learned his political craft from Tom Murowski. So yes it is the responsibility of the politicians and it is their fault. The village is currently looking to restructure the debt, or transferring the balance to another credit card with a better interest rate. Many companies do this, usually before they file for chapter 11 protection.
midloguy30

Midlothian, IL

#14 Dec 9, 2012
Oak Forest and Crestwood are in a better place to land businesses. Midlo doesn't have a piece of property that can rival Rt 83 and Cicero. They both feed into better highschools. They also border towns with higher income.(Tinley for OF and Palos for Crestwood) Yes I know that Crestwood also borders Robins but that is on the small side of town. Most of Crestwood is west of Cicero.

The income of the surrounding towns figures into what large businesses will set up in your town.

Again.. if midlo fed into OFHS instead if Bremen white people would not be so apt to leave.

I think people more often move based on the level of safety they feel in the community and the quality of their child's eduacation rather then the amount of debt in town...Living in America ppeople are used to debt. They just don't want to have to worry then their wife or child leaves the house.

If your wife has to run out to get bread from 7/11 at 11:00 at night would your rather her be in the ones in midlife or on 159th/76th avenue?
Brandy

Alsip, IL

#15 Dec 9, 2012
midloguy30 wrote:
Oak Forest and Crestwood are in a better place to land businesses. Midlo doesn't have a piece of property that can rival Rt 83 and Cicero. They both feed into better highschools. They also border towns with higher income.(Tinley for OF and Palos for Crestwood) Yes I know that Crestwood also borders Robins but that is on the small side of town. Most of Crestwood is west of Cicero.
The income of the surrounding towns figures into what large businesses will set up in your town.
Again.. if midlo fed into OFHS instead if Bremen white people would not be so apt to leave.
I think people more often move based on the level of safety they feel in the community and the quality of their child's eduacation rather then the amount of debt in town...Living in America ppeople are used to debt. They just don't want to have to worry then their wife or child leaves the house.
If your wife has to run out to get bread from 7/11 at 11:00 at night would your rather her be in the ones in midlife or on 159th/76th avenue?
Safety you are so right. my kids can,t play in my driveway because of the speeding cars on 142nd st.I call the cops and get we will look it to it.The Eastside of Crestwood will vote Law and Order.Lou John ONE of you has to Man Up.
Roseland

Alsip, IL

#16 Dec 9, 2012
Once your town go,s section 8, once your town go,s black it will never come back Sorry
Common Sense

Midlothian, IL

#17 Dec 9, 2012
Roseland wrote:
Once your town go,s section 8, once your town go,s black it will never come back Sorry
Every town has section 8 housing.
Common Sense

Midlothian, IL

#18 Dec 9, 2012
midloguy30 wrote:
A large portion of Oak Lawn feeds into Richards High School which has a large African American student base. Richards buses in from Robbins and Calumet Park. I don't see white people moving out of Oak Lawn. Why, Oak Lawn is a stable economically sound community.
midloguy30

Midlothian, IL

#19 Dec 9, 2012
Does everytown have the same amount of sec 8...We have so many apartment complexes filled with ghetto blacks...By the little league fields, both sides of Keystone, right on 147th. Little Africa and on the street that dead ends into the ABC phone store...That's a lot of units.
midloguy30

Midlothian, IL

#20 Dec 9, 2012
Richards is 53% white. 29% black. 13% Hispanic.
Oak Lawn HS...70% white. 5% black. 20% Hispanic.
Bremen is 30% white. 32% black. 37% Hispanic.
With that being said out of 669 high schools in IL
Bremen ranks 557th.
Richards 411
OakLawn HS 349
Richards is more representative of where Bremen was 7 or 8 years ago when posen and midlo fed more white kids into Bremen. At that time Bremen tested out at the state average. And as previously mentioned they are now testing 20 points below.
And furthermore, Richards racial breakdown has held steady the last few years while bremens is rapidly changing..
45% white in 2007 and 30% now.
I hope that helps answer your question.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Midlothian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former Midlothian cop convicted striking man wi... 20 min Rich Hard 3
Use of Taser on man who died not in Midlothian ... (Mar '10) 14 hr Mike 123
Millions missing from Village of Midlothian (Dec '13) Fri Resident of Midlo... 102
Should the taxpayers of Midlothian pay to repai... Thu Mike 44
Biosolid Fertilization and Flooding Thu Big boy 3
Trial started Dec 17 Wondering 1
Midlothian traffic court Dec 14 what to do 25
Midlothian Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Midlothian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Midlothian News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Midlothian

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:39 am PST

Bleacher Report11:39AM
Complete Week 16 Preview for Indianapolis
NBC Sports12:33 PM
1 thing even Rahm can't fix: Da Bears - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 1:01 PM
Cowboys' Murray listed as questionable for Colts - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 8:26 AM
Report: Executives suggest Bears could have to attach a draft pick to move Cutler
Bleacher Report11:56 AM
Eagles vs. Redskins: Live Score and Analysis for Philadelphia