Swing Set in front yard on Hamlin

Posted in the Midlothian Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Worried Home Owner

Chicago, IL

#1 Oct 12, 2010
Hello all my fellow Midlothian Neighbors. Would anyone know the rules if any about having a swing set in the front yard of the house on 150th and Hamlin. I can not understand why a person would set it up in the front yard. I have noticed alot of teens playing on it late in the evening as they walk by. I would think it would be a liability rick if someone was to get hurt. It really looks bad, and we just had a new playground built a few blocks away. It is an eye sore to the neighborhood. Any help with this would be great. Thanks
sputter out

Niles, MI

#2 Oct 12, 2010
Gotta be a stupid Mexican.

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian, IL

#3 Oct 12, 2010
I would think it's not legal, but then I know someone in Hometown that has three of those plastic toddler sets on their front lawn.

I just checked the city code. Here's what is says.

Playground and recreational equipment and playhouses, excluding equipment located on park/playground, school or daycare center sites (except basketball standards and backboards shall be permitted in all yards)

Front Yard
N
Interior Side Yard
Y, provided they are located no closer than 3 feet from any property line
Rear Yard
Y, provided they are located no closer than 3 feet from rear property line

You should call the city.
Midlo Man

Alsip, IL

#4 Oct 12, 2010
5yr Midlo Resident wrote:
I would think it's not legal, but then I know someone in Hometown that has three of those plastic toddler sets on their front lawn.
I just checked the city code. Here's what is says.
Playground and recreational equipment and playhouses, excluding equipment located on park/playground, school or daycare center sites (except basketball standards and backboards shall be permitted in all yards)
Front Yard
N
Interior Side Yard
Y, provided they are located no closer than 3 feet from any property line
Rear Yard
Y, provided they are located no closer than 3 feet from rear property line
You should call the city.
Is it in the Midlothian Code? That swing set is metel and big and on a busy street. It too looks bad..Where can I find this code?
Midlo Man

Alsip, IL

#5 Oct 12, 2010
sputter out wrote:
Gotta be a stupid Mexican.
no they are white. go figure
love midlothian 51 year r

Midlothian, IL

#6 Oct 12, 2010
I think you should leave this family alone I have met them and they are busy raising there young family.They have a neat house mind your own business isnt there something else youve got to do with your time,Seems youre always minding there business.For Gods sake its not bothering you her kids are adorable mind your own fricking business .I live down the street and although its out of the ordinary so what maybe she can keep an eye on them better while theyre playing if you let them play and stop minding there business.I asked my other neighbors if it bothered them it doesnt bother us so live and let live.
Hates Ignorance

Butler, PA

#7 Oct 12, 2010
OMG!!!

Someone put a swing set in their front yard? It's the end of the world I tells ya.

Meanwhile, as you worry about the neighbors. Your own kids are probably sneaking your prescription meds, or sniffing the oven cleaner.
hopethishelps

Chicago, IL

#8 Oct 13, 2010
would you expect anything left from that family? they usually talk about her under crazy neighbor. that's probably why she does the things she does, just to annoy people. you ask for it, you get it.

Midlothian, IL

#9 Oct 13, 2010
Ya know this is a really nice young couple with triplet toddlers I really wish people would leave them alone especially there neighbor to the south of them I am a neighbor and have no problem with them they are seriously busy raising there young family .I think Midlo.has better things to do then investigate a swing set in a front yard.
ann

Chicago, IL

#10 Oct 13, 2010
call the village and file a complaint so they can tell you what the rules are.

Midlothian, IL

#11 Oct 13, 2010
ann wrote:
call the village and file a complaint so they can tell you what the rules are.
cmon Ann file a complaint about a swingset?Get real.

“Trust me?”

Since: Jan 10

Oak Forest/Midlothian

#12 Oct 13, 2010
If i were to put up a swing-set or any other thing there would only be one place to put it up and that would be my front yard (although the park is right in front of the house so thats a mute point), the reason is my house is set on the complete rear of the lot, actually 5 feet from my neighbor fence. I have a lot and a half and the 95 percent of the free space is in the front. Although I would place it off to the side were it would not be easily seen from the street. I have a brick patio with a fire pit in front, but it fits with the house. I do not think there is an ordinance on this on the village books, as there are many various types of homes built here in Midlothian, in Hometown, 90 percent of the home are exactly the same, so I could see them having more codes on what you can or cannot do.
Tammys mom

Alsip, IL

#13 Oct 13, 2010
That family is nuts and as for "for love midlothian 51 year" he is her nut job father and is just starting trouble. He lives in Alsip as you can see and knows his Daughter needs help. Oh ya lets see 3 kids all special needs as well, but you all think it is a good idea for them to play in the front yard with traffic going by. Some neighbors are worried about a child getting hurt.A fencened in backyard is key for any family with small children. would you let you dog run loose in front of your house? So why let a small child.
Midlo Man

Alsip, IL

#14 Oct 13, 2010
Rules are Rules, so follow them....No one would like me to let my dog run free in the front yard so why let 3 special needs children...Ever think of the safty of kids on a busy street like Hamlin. Plus it looks BAD....They do have a back yard 2 days it is in the back and then they move it to the front. Nuts if you ask me. This Town is going down real fast..

Midlothian, IL

#15 Oct 13, 2010
Sorry sad. Gotta disagree. I grew up in Hometown, and we are nothing like Midlothian. Every house has a back yard unless the family opted to build an addition (like mine did). We had a swingset and later a pool in our backyard with no problem. And after the addition was built we technically could still fit a swingset but were much too old for it by then.
sad case wrote:
If i were to put up a swing-set or any other thing there would only be one place to put it up and that would be my front yard (although the park is right in front of the house so thats a mute point), the reason is my house is set on the complete rear of the lot, actually 5 feet from my neighbor fence. I have a lot and a half and the 95 percent of the free space is in the front. Although I would place it off to the side were it would not be easily seen from the street. I have a brick patio with a fire pit in front, but it fits with the house. I do not think there is an ordinance on this on the village books, as there are many various types of homes built here in Midlothian, in Hometown, 90 percent of the home are exactly the same, so I could see them having more codes on what you can or cannot do.
And MidloMan, the code is on the village website. www.villageofmidlothian.net

“26 year Midlo resident”

Since: Feb 09

Wichita, Kansas

#16 Oct 13, 2010
We could have a new poll aout this. Like we need another what is up with all the polls? Like an invasion.

I vote leave them alone. Now if they put one in the front yard of the flag house that is another story.

“Trust me?”

Oak Forest/Midlothian

#17 Oct 13, 2010
5yr Midlo Resident wrote:
Sorry sad. Gotta disagree. I grew up in Hometown, and we are nothing like Midlothian. Every house has a back yard unless the family opted to build an addition (like mine did). We had a swingset and later a pool in our backyard with no problem. And after the addition was built we technically could still fit a swingset but were much too old for it by then.
<quoted text>
And MidloMan, the code is on the village website. www.villageofmidlothian.net
Actually you are agreeing with me, I said Midlothian is nothing like Hometown, in our area pretty much every house is different, so we were actually agreeing. As far as people letting their dog out in the front yard, I do on a regular basis, she will not leave my front yard, which by the way is surrounded by shrubs (which takes some trimming every two weeks) as 5 yr could attest to, it also is a nice barrier to keep the kids in the yard. If you can't let your dog out with you in the front yard, then your dog is not trained or not trained enough.
As 5yr and Eagleman have seen, guess she is like me to lazy to run.

“Trust me?”

Oak Forest/Midlothian

#18 Oct 13, 2010
Is it permanent

Midlothian, IL

#19 Oct 13, 2010
If it is a permanent swingset then that would pertain to these codes, I think a plastic play set, which can be picked up and moved is not what we are talking here but something that could not be moved easily. If you want to see some nasty stuff, look at thise that park their broken down or rarely used cars on the lawns of their property. Go by Raday Lodge, and there is a Cadillac sitting on the front grass, if the grass exists anymore. I know this is against code, but nothing is done about it.

Midlothian, IL

#20 Oct 13, 2010
Oh I read you as saying 90% of Hometown homes mirrored Midlo. Now I see what you meant!:D

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Midlothian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
147th Cicero 1 hr Watching the show 20
Facebook Crusaders 8 hr Typical 15
Helicopters 13 hr midlodude 6
Chief Kaufman threatens to shoot police K9! Sat God 69
Mr. Cub Made An Impact (Remembering Ernie Banks) Jan 24 zephyrgarten 1
Should Midlothian seperate Jan 22 icanread 4
Zamiar bye bye (Dec '13) Jan 21 Red 94
Midlothian Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web