Getting ordinance $$$ back ?

Getting ordinance $$$ back ?

Posted in the Midlothian Forum

Hopeful nelly

Midlothian, IL

#1 Apr 9, 2012
After recently being falsely charged with a DUI I was found not guilty in court.(no evidence of intoxication) my question is, when charged I was mandated to pay $750 to the village before getting my car out of impound ( another couple hundred) I want my money back!!! How many people have had to pay for what reason???? When redeemed in a court of law (not midlo play court) I have a right to my money!!! Unless that's something new, we pay when village needs money just pull over a few people charge them n take their money , pay some bills then residents can't pay bills we pay fines for unjustly accused crimes oh let's not forget the $5000 for a lawyer n bail!!! I'm done with this town. We are out of here like many are doing! I want to enjoy life not fight it!!
b baker

Blue Island, IL

#2 Apr 9, 2012
Hopeful nelly wrote:
After recently being falsely charged with a DUI I was found not guilty in court.(no evidence of intoxication) my question is, when charged I was mandated to pay $750 to the village before getting my car out of impound ( another couple hundred) I want my money back!!! How many people have had to pay for what reason???? When redeemed in a court of law (not midlo play court) I have a right to my money!!! Unless that's something new, we pay when village needs money just pull over a few people charge them n take their money , pay some bills then residents can't pay bills we pay fines for unjustly accused crimes oh let's not forget the $5000 for a lawyer n bail!!! I'm done with this town. We are out of here like many are doing! I want to enjoy life not fight it!!
Please don't leave this town has a lot to offer alcoholics like you . Did you know there's a distillery coming ?
TowTruckDriver

Midlothian, IL

#3 Apr 9, 2012
By law they can charge you up to $1,000 to get your car out, plus the tow yard fees. So be greatful they cut your drunk butt a break. Falsely accused..ROFL
Joker

Manhattan, IL

#4 Apr 9, 2012
Just because your found not guilty does not mean you get your money back.. And be real, you were drunk and you got off because you went to the Markham court house where the judges are soft as dog shit
kildare kid

Munster, IN

#5 Apr 9, 2012
Interesting story. How long did they have your car? Where was the arrest made. Where did they tow your car too.? What type of test were you given to determine you were DUI. What towing company was used? If all these answer add up. You should recieve some money back or you can file a tort against the village if they fail to do so. The reason I ask about a certain towing company, one out your way is now under scrutiny in big way.
sober

United States

#6 Apr 9, 2012
If you don't like it then leave the town , oh wait you can afford to live anywhere else because you are a hillbilly, stay in midlo where you belong
Hopeful nelly

Midlothian, IL

#7 Apr 9, 2012
I was under the impression this was a helpful place to get insight. Makes me happy with my decision to leave. People on here are prime examples of what an uneducated town we live in. With few exceptions thanks to one response. I am sober n don't drink! This is happening too often to many people. Just another way for this town to "legally" generate money. I will spend my hard earned money for real legal advice. What was I thinking asking locals???

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#8 Apr 10, 2012
There are probably not a lot of people that have been in this situation who could give accurate advise. If what you say is true you should use your lawyer to help you. It seems you must already have a lawyer to have escaped a charge like that.
There aren't a lot of people that will get riled up against the police by just hearing your one side of the story. I'm not ready to believe they just stopped you for no reason and charged you with DUI. Not that they can't make mistakes, but that one would be unbelievably huge to charge a completely sober person with.
I also believe that if they wanted that charge to stick they would have followed through enough to make it happen. I'm inclined to believe they decided to cut you a break and not follow through in the hopes you made a mistake and will not make it again without destroying your life.
Hopeful nelly

Midlothian, IL

#9 Apr 10, 2012
I appreciate an opinion without being called names. Truly. I made the mistake of not asking my lawyer first and asking a midlothian forum obviously. It is true there are other circumstances that do not have to do with being drunk. I was under the false impression that I could go to the village on my own and request my money. I was hoping not to have to pay for more legal advice. It seems rhetorical to pay to get arrested and when able to give my side to the court and not be found guilty I should receive my money back. Bail money gets mailed automatically back I was only questioning why not the ordinance money?? The village seems is at a lower level legally but operates at a financially higher one.???
Hopeful nelly

Midlothian, IL

#10 Apr 10, 2012
By the way....nobody cut me "a break" it was a mistaken charge. I'm not that important for a judge to do that for me. It was a finding of NOT GUILTY not some lesser plea.
Joker

Manhattan, IL

#11 Apr 10, 2012
as long as the officer made the arrest in good faith, you will never get your money back unless you can prove the arrest was unlawful.
Jim

Bolingbrook, IL

#12 Apr 10, 2012
Hopeful nelly wrote:
By the way....nobody cut me "a break" it was a mistaken charge. I'm not that important for a judge to do that for me. It was a finding of NOT GUILTY not some lesser plea.
Did you score under .08 on the breath test?

Since: Apr 12

Bolingbrook, IL

#13 Apr 10, 2012
Hopeful nelly wrote:
After recently being falsely charged with a DUI I was found not guilty in court.(no evidence of intoxication) my question is, when charged I was mandated to pay $750 to the village before getting my car out of impound ( another couple hundred) I want my money back!!! How many people have had to pay for what reason???? When redeemed in a court of law (not midlo play court) I have a right to my money!!! Unless that's something new, we pay when village needs money just pull over a few people charge them n take their money , pay some bills then residents can't pay bills we pay fines for unjustly accused crimes oh let's not forget the $5000 for a lawyer n bail!!! I'm done with this town. We are out of here like many are doing! I want to enjoy life not fight it!!
Did you lose your license, and if so for how long?

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#14 Apr 11, 2012
Hopeful nelly wrote:
By the way....nobody cut me "a break" it was a mistaken charge. I'm not that important for a judge to do that for me. It was a finding of NOT GUILTY not some lesser plea.
Actually the point I was trying to make is that the police deal with issuing DUIs regularly. They know how to do it and make it stick. If it didn't it's probably because our cops decided not to make it stick and ruin your life.
I believe that many times if you hadn't been a repeat offender they will allow you to go through the process knowing it won't stick hoping you can learn from that experience without it ruining your life.
I hope you get your money back, but if you don't and you learned something, that would be money well spent compared to living with a DUI on your record. And in a small town like this you don't have to be important to a judge. You just have to have cops that care about people. They can be more willing to see to it that a person gets a second chance than a judge.
I don't know you and maybe you are totally innocent, it was all just a big mistake. Either way good luck getting your money back.
salt

Crown Point, IN

#15 Apr 12, 2012
30 years in midlo wrote:
<quoted text>Actually the point I was trying to make is that the police deal with issuing DUIs regularly. They know how to do it and make it stick. If it didn't it's probably because our cops decided not to make it stick and ruin your life.
I believe that many times if you hadn't been a repeat offender they will allow you to go through the process knowing it won't stick hoping you can learn from that experience without it ruining your life.
I hope you get your money back, but if you don't and you learned something, that would be money well spent compared to living with a DUI on your record. And in a small town like this you don't have to be important to a judge. You just have to have cops that care about people. They can be more willing to see to it that a person gets a second chance than a judge.
I don't know you and maybe you are totally innocent, it was all just a big mistake. Either way good luck getting your money back.
Are you kidding me ? So you are condoning the fact that it's ok to drink and drive by saying people who drink and drive should get a second chance and not have their life "ruined". A DUI does not "ruin" your life. It costs you alot of money and you loose your license because you were dumb enough to drink and drive. Why wouldn't a cop want what he charged someone with to stick. The judges are way to lenient in Cook County. Why don't you ask the families of innocent people who were killed by dumb asses who drink and drive if their loved on got a second chance. A cop would not make a DUI arrest with out probable cause and knowing damn well if some one was impaired. Just because you decided not to blow and got off since Crook County thinks you need to blow in order to prove impairment is crap.
Dont play if u cant pay

Midlothian, IL

#16 Apr 12, 2012
You got caught, don't cry about the tow fee!

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#17 Apr 13, 2012
salt wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding me ? So you are condoning the fact that it's ok to drink and drive by saying people who drink and drive should get a second chance and not have their life "ruined". A DUI does not "ruin" your life. It costs you alot of money and you loose your license because you were dumb enough to drink and drive. Why wouldn't a cop want what he charged someone with to stick. The judges are way to lenient in Cook County. Why don't you ask the families of innocent people who were killed by dumb asses who drink and drive if their loved on got a second chance. A cop would not make a DUI arrest with out probable cause and knowing damn well if some one was impaired. Just because you decided not to blow and got off since Crook County thinks you need to blow in order to prove impairment is crap.
If I gave you the impression that I condone drinking and driving I'm sorry, I don't. But surely every instance of drinking and driving does not kill people. So in my opinion if a cop sees it the way I described it above I can live with that. I do believe in giving people second chances as long as nobody was hurt. I didn't say 3rd and 4th chances so please don't read that into what I said either. And a DUI causes many hardships on families. I also believe that if the person really was drunk the cops can make that stick if they want to. I give the cops credit for knowing what they are doing. I don't know if this person was actually drunk or not. But obviously the cops wanted this person to learn something. I hope it worked.
Joker

Manhattan, IL

#18 Apr 13, 2012
Did you blow nelly?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Midlothian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mayor Gonzalez - 4 more years! (Jan '15) 3 hr Chapo 23
Oak Forest officials discuss video gambling reg... 4 hr Basil Twattington 1
Midlothian Memories (Jan '10) Jul 26 greenwood slim 339
House of Hughes Jul 26 greenwood slim 12
Midlothian Park District Playground Jul 26 micki dumesnil 3
Newspaper article Jan 18 1990 50 years ago column Jul 26 micki dumesnil 1
Future Mayor Jul 25 Trumbull 50

Midlothian Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Midlothian Mortgages