Confederate Flags
First Prev
of 18
Next Last
Curious George

Midlothian, IL

#1 Jul 27, 2010
I'm just curious. I was driving through Midlo by the red white and blue house and the park area and noticed some Confederate Flags flying. Does this mean we have Texans or Southerners moving in? The flag is very colorful. I'm just curious.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#2 Jul 28, 2010
Here is 1 possible answer I am aware of. I hope not but......

http://www.adl.org/hate_symbols/racist_confed...
whatever

United States

#3 Jul 28, 2010
whenever a white person shows pride in their race, it is seen as being racist. Maybe they are just from the south and proud of it.
Did It Hurt

Blue Island, IL

#4 Jul 28, 2010
30 years in midlo wrote:
Here is 1 possible answer I am aware of. I hope not but......
http://www.adl.org/hate_symbols/racist_confed...
I suggeset you knock on the door and ask them. That would provide the correct response. That is a second possible answer.

Since: Jan 09

Midlothian, IL

#5 Jul 28, 2010
my dad displays both in his house - he is a civil war buff

Location hidden

#6 Jul 28, 2010
I only mentioned this as 1 possible answer because there have been other posts on topix mentioning the confederate flag when talking about raceism. Those posts made me curious and I looked it up.
I don't know the people in the house mentioned, and I said I hope not but. The topix community shares information. That's all I was trying to do.

What do you think the origional purpose of the post was? So we could all state the obvious. Right.
Midlo Dog Walker

Chicago, IL

#7 Jul 28, 2010
I live in that area I would say it's probably a not welcome sign to some people if you know what I mean. Take a ride through Mt. Greenwood and you see the same thing.
old dixie

Midlothian, IL

#8 Jul 28, 2010
Who really cares, it his house he can put whatever flag he wants to up, it is still The United States of America isn't it. Maybe he feels that he does not welcome certain people on his property, that is his purgative. I am sure if someone had a NAACP flag flying in their yard it would not offend all you "politically correct" hypocrites.

Location hidden

#9 Jul 28, 2010
I care. If they hung a sign that said We sell drugs to your kids I'd be concerned about that too. If they're radical enough to advertise I want to know about it and keep my kids away from it.
Interested

East Peoria, IL

#10 Jul 28, 2010
Frankly there will always be those who assume that the ole confederate flag represents some sort of race-issue.

I suppose you could also say that anyone having a Cadillac Symbol is a gangbanger...since the Cadillac icon has been seen being worn around gangbangers necks.

Confederate Flag represented the south - not necc racism...though over the years I suppose it has come to reflect that ugly part of our past more than anything else the south had to offer.

Honestly I just look at those flags and think, "Wow, celebrating losing the Civil War? Guess it's ok for me to continue to be a Cubs fan then!"

LOL
Stereotype

Chicago, IL

#11 Jul 28, 2010
old dixie wrote:
Who really cares, it his house he can put whatever flag he wants to up, it is still The United States of America isn't it. Maybe he feels that he does not welcome certain people on his property, that is his purgative. I am sure if someone had a NAACP flag flying in their yard it would not offend all you "politically correct" hypocrites.
Not easy shedding the stereotype that Midlo is full of hillbillies with that flag flying now is it?
old dixie

Midlothian, IL

#12 Jul 28, 2010
Wish it was a bunch of hillbillies, they are some of the friendliest and honest people there is. A hillbilly would not burglarize your house or vandalize your property. A hillbilly is much better then the garbage that has come to town after the closing of the Chicago projects. A hillbilly in fact is a very hard working individual, that shuns government handouts. I would be proud to say I am a redneck, much better then a gangster disciple, wouldn't you say. If you want to teach your children that way, i hope your daughter comes home with a guy named Jameal, gets pregnant, and then get abandoned and left on your front doorstep.

Since: Feb 09

Midlothian

#13 Jul 28, 2010
Interested wrote:
Frankly there will always be those who assume that the ole confederate flag represents some sort of race-issue.
I suppose you could also say that anyone having a Cadillac Symbol is a gangbanger...since the Cadillac icon has been seen being worn around gangbangers necks.
Confederate Flag represented the south - not necc racism...though over the years I suppose it has come to reflect that ugly part of our past more than anything else the south had to offer.
Honestly I just look at those flags and think, "Wow, celebrating losing the Civil War? Guess it's ok for me to continue to be a Cubs fan then!"
LOL
LOL That's funny!!
whatever

United States

#14 Jul 28, 2010
old dixie wrote:
Wish it was a bunch of hillbillies, they are some of the friendliest and honest people there is. A hillbilly would not burglarize your house or vandalize your property. A hillbilly is much better then the garbage that has come to town after the closing of the Chicago projects. A hillbilly in fact is a very hard working individual, that shuns government handouts. I would be proud to say I am a redneck, much better then a gangster disciple, wouldn't you say. If you want to teach your children that way, i hope your daughter comes home with a guy named Jameal, gets pregnant, and then get abandoned and left on your front doorstep.
well said
here here

Midlothian, IL

#15 Jul 28, 2010
old dixie wrote:
If the truth hurts so be it. Hopefully the Crime Free Housing ordinance will rid us of this garbage. And yes a bunch of hillbillies would have taken care of much that has gone on in our town the last few years.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#16 Jul 28, 2010
old dixie wrote:
Your idea of a hillbilly and mine must be different. My idea is a person who has trash all around the house, smoking cigarettes with a couple of kids hanging off thier arms complaining about how every other race is a bunch of dad gum idiots. There is a difference between blue collar and hillbillies. I don't want to live in a town full of hillbillies. And to the person that said the flag represents the South..give me a break, we don't live in the friggin South!

“Trust me?”

Since: Jan 10

Oak Forest/Midlothian

#17 Jul 28, 2010
Midlo Dog Walker wrote:
<quoted text> Your idea of a hillbilly and mine must be different. My idea is a person who has trash all around the house, smoking cigarettes with a couple of kids hanging off thier arms complaining about how every other race is a bunch of dad gum idiots. There is a difference between blue collar and hillbillies. I don't want to live in a town full of hillbillies. And to the person that said the flag represents the South..give me a break, we don't live in the friggin South!
Actually you just described quite a few people who live in town, mostly in the apartments under section 8. "A couple of kids hanging from each arm" and thinking the other races are to blame for their shortcomings. I do not particularly care to have that flag waving around, but he has every right to if he wants. I think its an invitation for those that have been doing many of these things around town (vandalism/burglaries)to put a big target right on that property.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#18 Jul 28, 2010
sad case wrote:
<quoted text>Actually you just described quite a few people who live in town, mostly in the apartments under section 8. "A couple of kids hanging from each arm" and thinking the other races are to blame for their shortcomings. I do not particularly care to have that flag waving around, but he has every right to if he wants. I think its an invitation for those that have been doing many of these things around town (vandalism/burglaries)to put a big target right on that property.
No one ever said they didn't have a right to fly it..just some people are proud to be rednecks and I would rather not live in
a town like that. Just for reference. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillbilly

Since: Jul 09

Midlothian, IL

#19 Jul 28, 2010
I think they should be able to fly the confederate flag if they want to. I'm sure they have their own personal reasons and probably not racism. If we question these flags why not question the Mexican flags we see flying here and there too. Does that mean they are claiming home and property to be Mexican owned or is it a statement of Americans get out? I think I will start flying the Polish flag. Of course under the American Flag which should always be flown as the primary flag. We live in the greatest country there is and I appreciate it.

Since: Jul 09

Midlothian, IL

#20 Jul 28, 2010
Also when we use to watch the Dukes of Hazard I don't know if anyone looked at the General Lee as being a racist symbol. I sure didn't.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Midlothian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joe Gatrell's vaunted slate 3 hr Vote Smart 12
Review: Public Moving and Storage 3 hr Johnathan Grant 136
Let the election game start (Mar '15) 4 hr count down 202
Grandma Fran Too Sick To Continue (May '16) 4 hr count down 28
Arrest of Rybak close to reality - Gleason and ... (May '16) Tue Everythings Rosy 8
Midlo Park Director (Jun '16) Tue Everythings Rosy 12
A cowardly excuse for a man Dec 4 Bob 51

Midlothian Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Midlothian Mortgages