Since: Feb 09

Midlothian

#1 May 18, 2010
Crime-free housing is a go in Midlothian

May 16, 2010

BY MICHAEL DRAKULICH
Criminals may have a tough time finding a place to live in Midlothian now that the village has officially joined the ranks of suburbs with an enacted crime-free rental housing ordinance.

Midlothian joins Tinley Park, Orland Park and Oak Forest among south suburbs with such an ordinance on the books. The move gives village officials a chance to crack down on problem tenants and landlords in an effort to keep rental properties maintained in better condition and reduce crime.

The ordinance, which was approved Wednesday, was seen as a top priority for village officials.

Tenants looking to get a lease, under the new ordinance, will now have to sign off on a promise to not do anything illegal at their residences. The ordinance applies to guests, too.

Those caught doing something illegal - whether it's a resident or a guest - could face eviction. But village officials who will be enforcing the ordinance say it's not meant to be entirely punitive.

All landlords in the village will have to attend an eight-hour seminar to familiarize themselves with the ordinance. The seminar will teach owners how to screen potential tenants more thoroughly and how to keep their properties safer, said officer Ryan Gulli, who will be the police department's administrator of the ordinance.

Property owners also will learn how to implement the Crime Free Lease Addendum, which is an agreement between landlords and tenants that they and anyone who visits their unit will be good citizens.

A landlord becomes certified in the crime-free housing program upon completing the seminar, Mayor Terry Stephens said. The certification acts as a business license in a sense. Without it, a landlord cannot continue to rent in Midlothian, Stephens said.

"Landlords have never really had to have a business license before. Not in the strictest of senses," he said.

Landlords can also lose their certification if they refuse to evict tenants identified as nuisances by the village, Stephens said.

After completing the seminar, landlords will learn a concept contained in the ordinance called "crime prevention through environmental design." Village staff will teach and recommend ways they can make their properties more secure, such as use of dead-bolt locks, strike plates on doorknobs secured with three-inch screws, window locks and adequate lighting.

Then the village will hold a get-together of all the landlords so they can begin to network with each other. Gulli said landlords have 60 days from the ordinance's passing to contact the village and sign up for the seminar.



Question

Alsip, IL

#2 May 18, 2010
Is the text of the new law available?
Midlothian Home Owner

Alsip, IL

#3 May 18, 2010
The article said:

Tenants looking to get a lease, under the new ordinance, will now have to sign off on a promise to not do anything illegal at their residences. The ordinance applies to guests, too.

The "guests" being referred to are "guests" of the tenant right?, not the owner, right? The reason I ask is because I am gay, and I have had different partners move in with me over the years. I (as an OWNER of a home in Midlothian) hope the village is not suggesting any of my potential live in boyfriends are subject to this law, or that I am attempting to somehow skirt the law just because I don't have a typical nuclear family.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#4 May 18, 2010
Midlothian Home Owner wrote:
The article said:
Tenants looking to get a lease, under the new ordinance, will now have to sign off on a promise to not do anything illegal at their residences. The ordinance applies to guests, too.
The "guests" being referred to are "guests" of the tenant right?, not the owner, right? The reason I ask is because I am gay, and I have had different partners move in with me over the years. I (as an OWNER of a home in Midlothian) hope the village is not suggesting any of my potential live in boyfriends are subject to this law, or that I am attempting to somehow skirt the law just because I don't have a typical nuclear family.
The way I understand it, it only applies to rented properties. The tenant (whoever signed the lease) and it's guests or relatives living in that property are subject to the ordinance. Unless you have your boyfriends sign a lease for their bedroom, this shouldn't apply to you.
Midlothian Home Owner

Alsip, IL

#5 May 18, 2010
Thanks. That's how I thought it would be interpreted.

No lease though anyway.

More than anything, I was sort of interested in how this thing is enforced. I am guessing as long as the property you own is still your primary address, you have a right to invite anyone to stay with you as long as you like. Within reason of course. I know apartments and condominiums have a maximum occupancy of five. I am thinking even single family houses have a limit though.

On a side note, I noticed a few people complaining about houses that have an inordinate amount of people living in them. Not that the village needed home rule to have such a rule, but is their presently a limit on the number of occupants who may reside in a single family home?

“26 year Midlo resident”

Since: Feb 09

Wichita, Kansas

#6 May 18, 2010
I am totally for this ordinance. But as Eric Holder says "I have not read it".

“In my opinion..”

Since: Dec 09

Midlothian

#7 May 18, 2010
Midlothian Home Owner wrote:
Thanks. That's how I thought it would be interpreted.
No lease though anyway.
More than anything, I was sort of interested in how this thing is enforced. I am guessing as long as the property you own is still your primary address, you have a right to invite anyone to stay with you as long as you like. Within reason of course. I know apartments and condominiums have a maximum occupancy of five. I am thinking even single family houses have a limit though.
On a side note, I noticed a few people complaining about houses that have an inordinate amount of people living in them. Not that the village needed home rule to have such a rule, but is their presently a limit on the number of occupants who may reside in a single family home?
If the home in question is the primary home and not a rental, I do not believe there is a limit. Too many large families would be in trouble if that were the case.
Did It Hurt

Midlothian, IL

#8 May 18, 2010
The oridnace would need to be looked up, but I am sure there is a limit. I am going to guess two people per bedroom.

Otherwise 10 people could live in a 3 bedroom home.
eagleman wrote:
<quoted text>If the home in question is the primary home and not a rental, I do not believe there is a limit. Too many large families would be in trouble if that were the case.

Since: Aug 09

Linthicum Heights, MD

#9 May 19, 2010
Did It Hurt wrote:
The oridnace would need to be looked up, but I am sure there is a limit. I am going to guess two people per bedroom.
Otherwise 10 people could live in a 3 bedroom home.
<quoted text>
I know of a couple families in Midlothian that had more than 10 kids and 3-4 bedroom homes. So I am guessing there is no rulle (at one that's enforced.....)
Did It Hurt

Midlothian, IL

#10 May 19, 2010
If interested, you can call up the village during business hours.

Ask a question, I am looking at homes and have 5 kids and 2 adults, what is the housing ordinance requirement?

The village should be able to provide an answer or provide the person to contact.
Dutch Oven Chef wrote:
<quoted text>
I know of a couple families in Midlothian that had more than 10 kids and 3-4 bedroom homes. So I am guessing there is no rulle (at one that's enforced.....)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Midlothian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Now the Library (Jul '14) 32 min A disenchanted re... 48
moody 2 hr A Senior 2
Moody's Big Red Fire Truck (Aug '13) 4 hr No free lunch 28
Crumbling BIIP 5 hr How It Works 57
Removed Why? For being TRUE? 7 hr MikeOnLawndale 1
Free Chicago Southland Outdoor Summer Concerts ... Sat zephyrgarten 1
Park District Fri Clueless 10
More from around the web

Midlothian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]