Missing money investigated, pastor re...

Missing money investigated, pastor removed from Flossmoor Catho...

There are 81 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 11, 2007, titled Missing money investigated, pastor removed from Flossmoor Catho.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Complaints of missing money and financial mismanagement at Infant Jesus of Prague Roman Catholic Church in Flossmoor have led to the pastor's temporary removal, a state's attorney's investigation and an ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

simple opinion

Stevensville, MI

#67 Dec 14, 2007
Dear Watcham, what if I told you that I'm an "insider" who happens to know more than you think? Do you know, for instance, what happened to Ms. Houston, and what's the real deal with the bank, and how much and how the money was disbursed from IJP? Do you know that? I happen to know that (and more), of which I'm not allowed to comment because of the pending investigation. So, please, hold your words until this whole mess is cleared. ah, by the way, the amount you mentioned (10K) has been changed for years due the current economy; for your information, a pastor, administrator, director of an agency, etc. in the Arch. of Chicago undertaking projects involving more than 25K has to have approval from the arch. Please update your info if you really want to give tour opinion; it’s no longer 10K, it’s 25K. If the rest of your information is as inaccurate, I don't blame you for not really knowing what's going on at IJP and who is at fault. As for all these members of the finance committee, aren't they supposed to oversee and help with the very issue of money in any parish or agency? As I said, time will tell; please don't be too quick in blaming one single person. I know Fr. Killeen, and even though I don't like him much, I do respect him; furthermore, I don't think he’s smart enough to fool so many well educated business people at IJP, especially those who are in the finance committee.
Watchman

Flossmoor, IL

#68 Dec 14, 2007
Simple, why aren't you "allowed" to comment? There is nothing in the "facts" you claim to know that could compromise either the audit or the criminal investigation; Ms Houston has had plenty of time to destroy any evidence since the time Fr Killeen publicly linked her to the crime in October. You are part of the cover-up by your own reckoning and your opinions are devalued because of that.
You can't be much of an insider or you would know that Archdiocese policy book 5 section 2000 requires finance council consultation at the $10K level, section 602 requires archdiocese approval of contracts over $20k (not 25k as you say). I'm not saying he's a thief but the Cardinal, who vested in him full financial control over parish funds, has clearly seen enough of his brand of financial management. If Father didn't reconcile the bank statements and didn't allow either his CPA associate pastor or his finance council to do so, then who is at fault? 3 out of three handpicked business managers are thieves? Do you really think he should be in charge of a parish? The policies don't let you be just a spiritual leader.
J Dubois

Stevensville, MI

#69 Dec 14, 2007
Watchman wrote:
I'm not saying he's a thief but the Cardinal, who vested in him full financial control over parish funds, has clearly seen enough of his brand of financial management. If Father didn't reconcile the bank statements and didn't allow either his CPA associate pastor or his finance council to do so, then who is at fault? 3 out of three handpicked business managers are thieves? Do you really think he should be in charge of a parish? The policies don't let you be just a spiritual leader.
Wow! It seems like the tone of many posters leads to believe (at least it seems) that Fr. K is indeed at fault. So, let that poor guy (simple opinion) alone, and help solve this mess. Ooops! Seems very unlikely, since you're miles and miles away, in Texas!
Jake K

Stevensville, MI

#70 Dec 14, 2007
Watchman wrote:
...He fired the only honest one to work for him in 10 years...
Just one question: are you that "one onest one", or a friend of his?
simple opinion

Stevensville, MI

#71 Dec 14, 2007
Watchman wrote:
Simple, why aren't you "allowed" to comment? There is nothing in the "facts" you claim to know that could compromise either the audit or the criminal investigation; Ms Houston has had plenty of time to destroy any evidence since the time Fr Killeen publicly linked her to the crime in October. You are part of the cover-up by your own reckoning and your opinions are devalued because of that.
You can't be much of an insider...
By "insider" i meant "parishioner", who happens to know a thing or two.

As far as me being a part of the cover up, I find it very insulting and offensive on your part. How about you, who seems to really know how things get done?(by the way, I changed the amounts and procedures just to check on you; these policies are available on-line, and you're right, so you know how the arch. deals with parishes and pastors) As far as you are concerned, have you been to the police station, to declare against Fr. Killeen so that he can be justly tried and brought to justice? Tell me, tell us all please what have you done to help clean this mess at IJP. We need actions, no cheap talk in places like this.
Watchman

Flossmoor, IL

#72 Dec 15, 2007
If you review my posts and my comment to the letter to the editor on this subject, you will see that I am not among those accusing the pastor of any crimes. What the finance council (and those parishioners who were brave enough to stick their necks out and sign their names on a petition to the Cardinal) detailed was not criminal activity, but a complete lack of financial controls and a complete refusal by the pastor to respond to the finance council's numerous concerns. Canon law provides for removal of a pastor who improperly administers a church's financial dealings, or who has lost the respect of men and women of good character within the parish -- there can be little doubt that these have occurred here. I too am a parishioner and have some knowledge of this ( I have no idea why my post lists me as residing in TX).
The actions going forward are pretty simple: work with the new administrator to establish a strong new finance council; conduct a search for a well qualified and honest business manager, and implement the best practices going forward so that the next permanent pastor cannot undo any of it. Then we need to get the archdiocese to forgive the operating loans it gave the parish to pay bills after the theft was discovered. The Archdiocese placed Father Killeen in this parish despite knowing his (at least) inability to manage the lay financial staff at his prior parish. So why should the parishioners make up these losses? The archdiocese needs to take ownership of any problems that resulted from their decision to place Father at IJP.
my 2cents

AOL

#73 Dec 15, 2007
I wonder if Father Killeen knows the former pastor of St. Gabriel's... They must have gone to the same school of mismanagement. Hopefully soon some former St. Gabriel's parish administrators/employee will be held responsible for the chaos that they cause in the parish. Sounds like exactly what is going on in St. Gabriel's.... It is a crying shame and someone should be help responsible!
Kylie

Dumont, NJ

#74 Dec 15, 2007
God (um, pun intended).

This further backs the notion that so-called good Christians don't really believe all the slosh they babble about, or they think they are free to do what they please because they've accepted Christ. Do they not realize "someone" is watching?

I am agnostic and I have no doubt I have better morals and manners than most Christians. To date, I have never stolen money or molested a child. Thanks Mom & Dad!
Upset over comment

Stevensville, MI

#75 Dec 15, 2007
Kylie wrote:
I am agnostic and I have no doubt I have better morals and manners than most Christians. To date, I have never stolen money or molested a child. Thanks Mom & Dad!
I take offense! I'm a Catholic, and just like yourself I've NEVER stolen money or molested a child or anyone for that matter. How dare you insinuate that Catholics are thieves or child molesters? Hold your words, because I'm sure there are thieves and child molesters amongst your fellow agnostics, just like there are such scum people in our Catholic Church.
Shame on you for generalizing!
As far as religion goes, feel free to believe in whatever or wharsoever makes you happy; that's your right, and if anyone wants to believe in their shoe (believe me, a good friend of mine believes in her shoes, which she litterally adores, worshipes and follows!), so be it! It's a free country! But please, mind your own business and DO NOT offend us good Catholics!
George

Huntington, NY

#76 Dec 16, 2007
Regarding the "Garland TX" designation on the left-hand side of some posts. It seems that Topix identifies which server is transmitting the post. Some Internet providers have their servers far away from their customers. Some locations given to Topix are close, others a surprise.
Best wishes to all concerned; this is a trying situation.
Kate

Bartlett, IL

#77 Dec 18, 2007
Funny, I went to IJP, and that guy is a creep! I'm really not surprised this happened.
Victor

Pompano Beach, FL

#78 Dec 18, 2007
Kylie wrote:
God (um, pun intended).
This further backs the notion that so-called good Christians don't really believe all the slosh they babble about, or they think they are free to do what they please because they've accepted Christ. Do they not realize "someone" is watching?
I am agnostic and I have no doubt I have better morals and manners than most Christians. To date, I have never stolen money or molested a child. Thanks Mom & Dad!
Kylie,

There are good Christians and bad
Christians, and there are good agnostics and bad agnostics. You will find that navigating through society will be less difficult if you refrain from making generalizations like this. It demonstrates a lack of maturity and understanding.
Tom Reed

AOL

#79 Dec 19, 2007
Everything will be well run and properly looked after with Rev. Francis Cimarrusti in charge.
Caroline

Chicago, IL

#80 Feb 20, 2008
Mismanagement has caused the reduction in staff and teachers' reapplying for jobs at IJP School/Parish.
2/20/08
Unhappy

Chicago, IL

#81 Feb 20, 2008
Reduction of staff, ministries, teachers... we are all paying for the sins of others... we are really Catholic... Just like Jesus we must carry our cross.
longgone

Rensselaer, IN

#82 Aug 12, 2008
Well at last count, I have been a parish member for two molesting Catholic priests in Illinois and one molesting Catholic priest in Indiana. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
Good

United States

#83 Oct 1, 2009
This is not good
Mama Told Me Not To Go

Midlothian, IL

#84 Oct 1, 2009
This is old

“Vote!”

Since: Aug 09

Midlothian, Il

#85 Oct 1, 2009
This has got to be one of the first topix threads. I know it was before my time.
sankofa

Lansing, IL

#86 Oct 1, 2009
What about Homewood-Flosmoor Full Gospel on Kedzie. Didn't the same scenario take place there? Didn't the pastor steal money, and isn't he still pastoring, or at least still free?

Why is a distinction being made?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Midlothian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Midlo.police (Mar '12) 5 hr 35 Year Resident 66
A cowardly excuse for a man 6 hr Saul Moravitz 30
corruption 6 hr Outwest 2
First National Bank Buildings to be Auctioned 8 hr Bob 24
Stevo at the City Council meeting 8 hr Clarify 44
State Rep 28th Bob Rita is not addressing the ... (Jul '14) 9 hr Hoodwinked Again 127
Open Letter to All Veteran's 17 hr sky solder 42

Midlothian Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Midlothian Mortgages