oldtimer

Highland, IN

#448 Oct 18, 2011
I'm glad I'm not on Skpe. I've now got two black eyes.. The other one just came up.What color were the Safeway Buses and I asked before. What was the name of the bus driver for over 20 years. What was the fare to Blue Island. Where did we change buses for that trip to Blue Island.How about the school baseball field, where Mc Donalds is now. It started at 146th.The Woerheide Candy Company above the Messenger Press on Kolan av.When they folded, they had a lot of boxes of candies sitting around, we got into the building and stuffed ourselves.It's a wonder we didn't get sick, it was pretty old.A water bill in the 30's was $1.25 cents.
Its you its me

Midlothian, IL

#449 Oct 18, 2011
Thank You wrote:
Oldtimer, I'm glad you are okay. I did wonder what happened to you yesterday as you were not posting. Looks like another nut found this topic. It's makes no sense what he is saying. I think I saw this nuts name on other topics and he/she makes no sense at all. I'm ready for the next memory.
You are answering your own posts. Come on man I enjoy your stories and that is exactly what they are big ole stories. Go ahead and call me names I don't care.
Midlo History Buff

Orland Park, IL

#450 Oct 18, 2011
oldtimer wrote:
I'm glad I'm not on Skpe. I've now got two black eyes.. The other one just came up.What color were the Safeway Buses and I asked before. What was the name of the bus driver for over 20 years. What was the fare to Blue Island. Where did we change buses for that trip to Blue Island.How about the school baseball field, where Mc Donalds is now. It started at 146th.The Woerheide Candy Company above the Messenger Press on Kolan av.When they folded, they had a lot of boxes of candies sitting around, we got into the building and stuffed ourselves.It's a wonder we didn't get sick, it was pretty old.A water bill in the 30's was $1.25 cents.
The buses were cream color and dark red. We changed buses at Snuffy's (147th and Western) discussed in a prior post. As a highschool kid I worked in Blue Island for a while making 50 cents an hour in the early 60's. The fare was maybe 5 to 15 cents one way, but I can't remember for sure. Rather than wait at a bus stop, I would just keep walking from one stop to the next til the bus came; many times I ended up walking all the way to work before the bus even came. You knew you were past Posen into Blue Island when you started to smell the tomatoes at Libby McNeil Libby tomato factory. When I knew the buses weren't scheduled, I'd take a short cut via Kedzie to the diagonal road by the tracks to 139th Street to Western - This was before the Kedzie bridge was built. Anybody else have similar experiences?
Tyrone

Chicago, IL

#451 Oct 19, 2011
oldtimer wrote:
how dare you! We want reperations from people like you who keep the youth black man unemployed. You had BLACK eyes...now you know we feel. Im forced to use a link card because of you!
oldtimer

Highland, IN

#452 Oct 19, 2011
History Buff..You Cheated. I gave you that test weeks ago. That was for the newcomers. Ok what was the rest of Snuffy's name. The place was known by an additional name also. I remember Libby's, that smell and the streets would be bright red during the tomatoe season. The tomatoes would roll off the trucks and get smashed on the pavement.It's funny how we remember from days gone bye. What would we have to remember if we lived 50 years from now. How the live style has changed. I can't think of anything I would comment on except my family life which would be personal. The world will never be the same. The things we have available by just going to the store instead of maybe making them or having a older family do it.
Today the only thing in mind to many is the remote. Kids have cars, there out of the house most of the time.TV is blood and guts. What a life style we will see in the future.I get a kick out of remembering about that old bus than todays happenings.
uncle bill

United States

#453 Oct 19, 2011
i remember riding the bus in the winter to go to st. chris,and the bus driver had a polish last name,and supposidely he played for the Cubs and drove the bus to make extra money this was in the late 40's,and it cost a nickel to ride.

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian,Il

#454 Oct 19, 2011
Hey Oldtimer, You remember Harts Drug store? They had the best Hot Fudge Sundaes and Milk Shakes:) Can still taste them:)
oldtimer

Highland, IN

#455 Oct 19, 2011
Wondering Why.. That was John Hart// He was also the Mayor of Blue Island.. He worked the drugs and soda fountain. But every Pharmacist did that in the old days.I remember the milk shakes but I also liked the Malts. Then many went to the Lyric Theatre if you were in town. We went to Blue Island
to the pool near the hospital to swim. Midlothian didn't have a pool. Do they have a public pool now in Midlothian? You don't have to give me a fast answer. I won't be using it today if you have one.
Midlo History Buff

Orland Park, IL

#456 Oct 20, 2011
Oldtimer. Your original post asks if we remember "Baker's Liqueur Store" Can you tell us where it was and what you remember about it?
oldtimer

Highland, IN

#457 Oct 21, 2011
Baker's was owned by Bill Baker it was in a building on the south side of 147th. Years ago I went by it and they had a trick store in or something similar.The building has a tan front and it's near Springfield, it had 2 stories if I'm correct.There's a good story about the place but I won't post it here. If we meet bring this up and I'll tell you....They one of the first large neon signs in town. One day the chains that held it broke and the thing almost fell, there was more excitement that day than when Fredholm's got a new supply of socks,
Thank You

Midlothian, IL

#458 Oct 21, 2011
Lol. Funny story Oldtimer. Hope you are well. Please can we meet soon?
oldtimer

Highland, IN

#459 Oct 21, 2011
You wouldn't want to meet at present. I look like I'm all made up for Halloween. My face is black and blue and my left arm is swollen like a watermellon. They had to cut my wedding ring off yesterday because the hand continues to swell. First time I ever had that off since I got married.About that story of Baker's.. It is funny as hell.It sure made an impact on my life as well.
I won't post it here, because there might be some of the families still around. It did involve the police at the time. Nothing criminal or maybe yes.
Thank You

Midlothian, IL

#460 Oct 21, 2011
Wow, sorry to hear that oldtimer. Why is your arm swelling so badly? are they sure it's okay? Doesn't sound normal. Now you will just have to marry your wife again and get another ring. Hope you feel well soon.
oldtimer

Highland, IN

#461 Oct 21, 2011
The Doctor didn't appear alarmed when I went to the saw bones office. Just gave me some pills and said keep ice on my hand. I fell directly on the hand attempting to protect my face, but my face is black and blue anyhow. If it continues I won't have to get a mask to scare people for Halloween. A friend of mine over there reminded me about a Halloween costume my Mother made for me in the yearly Halloween Parade we had in town. I bearly remember the thing, but fits into something I have been posting about. Another topic we can go over personally.I wish my sister was alive. She had the same kind of memory as I have, up until her death at 97.Have a good weekend. I guess I'll just sit here at the keyboard to stay busy.I don't want to drive that much.
oldtimer

Highland, IN

#462 Oct 21, 2011
Can you remember the big barn owned by Harry Clarke on the hill behind Moores Corner? In later years Harry Raday bought the place and the restaurant he operated was called the farm?
Talking about a barn. Wasn't that the name of the restaurant around 76th street west of Cicero, I guess that's Bridgeview. You had to have a card with a number on it and you called a unlisted number for reservations.That way they could screen the customers. They never allowed walkins. That lasted until the late 60's. I still remember that number Garden 4 6000. How things have changed.
Midlo History Buff

Plainfield, IL

#464 Oct 22, 2011
I have only vague memories of "The Farm" so maybe someone else can fill in details.

There is a photo negative on the internet that purports to be of an aerial view of an old Midlothian flood. Do a google search for
" midlothian il aerial photo ebay " and see if you can identify the location and direction of view. Scroll down on that website to view a large version of the photo.

Midlothian,Il

#465 Oct 22, 2011
oldtimer wrote:
Wondering Why.. That was John Hart// He was also the Mayor of Blue Island.. He worked the drugs and soda fountain. But every Pharmacist did that in the old days.I remember the milk shakes but I also liked the Malts. Then many went to the Lyric Theatre if you were in town. We went to Blue Island
to the pool near the hospital to swim. Midlothian didn't have a pool. Do they have a public pool now in Midlothian? You don't have to give me a fast answer. I won't be using it today if you have one.
I remember John Hart and when he was Mayor of Blue Island. My Parents knew him well. Remember when he was "kidnapped"? I say that in quotations because I remember when that happened, there was some sort of scandal going on in Blue Island at the time and my Parents always commenting on it. Remember when George Muellers cigarette place got bombed? That was just a block or so south of the Radio station wasn't it? We talk about Blue Island a bit, my Parents always told me that my Dad was the heaviest baby born in BI at the time and my Mom was the first set of Triplets born in BI.

Midlothian,Il

#466 Oct 22, 2011
Midlo History Buff wrote:
I have only vague memories of "The Farm" so maybe someone else can fill in details.
There is a photo negative on the internet that purports to be of an aerial view of an old Midlothian flood. Do a google search for
" midlothian il aerial photo ebay " and see if you can identify the location and direction of view. Scroll down on that website to view a large version of the photo.
MHB, the Farm was where Thortons is now on Cicero,ave. If I remember right, it tool the space of Thortons and Wendys. It was a Pancake house and I believe only lasted a few years before it "caught" fire. Rumor had it back then that it was suspicious. I could see the smoke and flames from my house. I think that was around 1970-71 maybe? Not too sure.
oldtimer

Munster, IN

#467 Oct 23, 2011
Hi wondering...Here I am at this early hour on this dizzy thing. Too early to go roller skating or taking a swim! You mention the Mueller Bros.
They moved into the old Oldsmobile Garage 2 doors south of the radio station. The thought they knew everything. They bought the juke box company owned by Fred Tuffanelli, who was the brother of Babe the syndicate czar of the south suburbs. The Meullers thought they could run on their own without control by Babe. They bombed the place wrecked their machines and if I remember correctly because I had moved out of the area, was one of the brothers shot or something?
As for Mayor Hart and that Kidnapping. He was up to his neck with Babe Tuffanelli. Raking big money for himself and a few friends. Hart started to run a few things on his own and at times opposed the outfit.Well the outfit got mad and had a so called kidnap to threaten the old boy. Hart was the object of a nationwide manhut.
But a majority of the cops or at least their Chiefs were on the payroll of Tuffanelli. So nobody looked for him. Hart was found by accident in Phoenix Ill.He was bound and gagged tied to chair in a old abandoned house.He hadn't eaten for days. He wasn't the same after that incident. I found out later that they were going to bump him off in the long run. They used Hart's kidnapping as a way to straighten up a few Mayors that didn't go along with Tuffanelli. Some have doubted when I said many cities being in full control by the syndicate. Rest assure they all were.

Midlothian,Il

#468 Oct 23, 2011
oldtimer wrote:
Hi wondering...Here I am at this early hour on this dizzy thing. Too early to go roller skating or taking a swim! You mention the Mueller Bros.
They moved into the old Oldsmobile Garage 2 doors south of the radio station. The thought they knew everything. They bought the juke box company owned by Fred Tuffanelli, who was the brother of Babe the syndicate czar of the south suburbs. The Meullers thought they could run on their own without control by Babe. They bombed the place wrecked their machines and if I remember correctly because I had moved out of the area, was one of the brothers shot or something?
As for Mayor Hart and that Kidnapping. He was up to his neck with Babe Tuffanelli. Raking big money for himself and a few friends. Hart started to run a few things on his own and at times opposed the outfit.Well the outfit got mad and had a so called kidnap to threaten the old boy. Hart was the object of a nationwide manhut.
But a majority of the cops or at least their Chiefs were on the payroll of Tuffanelli. So nobody looked for him. Hart was found by accident in Phoenix Ill.He was bound and gagged tied to chair in a old abandoned house.He hadn't eaten for days. He wasn't the same after that incident. I found out later that they were going to bump him off in the long run. They used Hart's kidnapping as a way to straighten up a few Mayors that didn't go along with Tuffanelli. Some have doubted when I said many cities being in full control by the syndicate. Rest assure they all were.
That's exactly the way my Parents told the story:) Oh, my Parents had some good stories about times in Blue Island and who did what:):) My Uncle started Blue Island Disposal along with his Brothers. I remember both my Parents talking about "Tuffy" as they called him. When I asked my Dad who that was, he just told me that they had known each other for years and not someone to fool around with. You remember when Don Colloway owned his Bar in BI?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Midlothian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ménage a Trois 14 hr Internet Tough Guy 35
recount going for Hillary in wisconsin Fri Trumbull 24
Midlothian Trump Support Fri Midlo resident 63
Midlothian Election Fraud Jan 19 OK Sure 79
will mayor gary save us Jan 19 Yep 14
Team Floodlothian Jan 19 Old Trustees Retu... 15
A cowardly excuse for a man (Jun '16) Jan 17 Art 67

Midlothian Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance