What do you remember of past Thanksgivings

Posted in the Midlothian Forum

kildare kid

Munster, IN

#1 Nov 21, 2012
One thing that set in my mind. People were broke and saved every penny they could. Our big deal was strawberry jello and real whipped cream.We only had it on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I had to beat the cream with a hand style beater. They didn't have electric one's in those days. If you beat it too long, it turned to butter.
My mother even had a special dish to serve it in.. I wonder if the youngsters of today will remember the things they do today 60 years from now. Yes they were the "good old days"

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian,Il

#2 Nov 21, 2012
I remember my Mom would always make Green Jello and Cinnamon Apples. Green Jello always had shredded Cabbage in it and the Apples she would always peel, melt the candy Cinnamon and put the Apples in to cook. She always had a Mince Meat pie for my Brother but I never acquired the taste for it. At the time, just my immediate Family, (Brothers,Sisters, In laws, neices and nephews) we would have about 35 for Dinner. Now, just my Wife, children and wifes family on Thanksgiving.

“In my opinion..”

Since: Dec 09

Midlothian

#3 Nov 22, 2012
I remember my Mom making her fresh bread and rolls. The smell would go through the whole house. Now my wife does the same thing and my daughter is learning how. Nothing beats the smell of fresh homemade bread.

“Did I Just Say That Out Loud?”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#4 Nov 22, 2012
Mmmmm...fresh baking bread. Nothing better! Enjoy.
Kildare kid

Munster, IN

#5 Nov 22, 2012
Say, what's your addres. I be over shortly for that home baked bread. That's one thing we never bake at the present. Can't remember my mother ever baking it. She did make terrific biscuits. In those early days, all we had was a wood burning stove to cook on. This year will be the first time of going out for Thanksgiving Dinner. Going over to the son's house in Crown Point. Normally I cook the dinner. This time I only had to make the Cranberries.I have a special way of doing that.
So happy Thankgiving to one and all.
Kildare kid

Munster, IN

#6 Nov 22, 2012
Somone spilled somethingon the keyboard.
First line should be address and then I'll
54 years

Midlothian, IL

#7 Nov 22, 2012
kildare kid wrote:
One thing that set in my mind. People were broke and saved every penny they could. Our big deal was strawberry jello and real whipped cream.We only had it on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I had to beat the cream with a hand style beater. They didn't have electric one's in those days. If you beat it too long, it turned to butter.
My mother even had a special dish to serve it in.. I wonder if the youngsters of today will remember the things they do today 60 years from now. Yes they were the "good old days"
Besides a tray from rubinos that jello is what I'm bringing to my daughters I made it with sugar free jello delicious and whipped cool whip into it and will put whipped cream on top , yummy:)
Kildare kid

Munster, IN

#8 Nov 22, 2012
What is it with jello and the holidays.? Everyone looks forward to it. I can still smell the arouma of the turkey in the oven.
With a wood burning stove, the turkey had a great taste. I never liked stuffing out of the turkey.
My mother would make a special pan of it for me.I can't remember when it was this warm on Thanksgiving. Normally we would have snow on the ground. Then on Friday with no school, I would take my dog Pat and go to Waverly and the creek (around) 151st) start a fire and cook a can of beans. Never caught any fish except "Bull Heads"
and I would throw them back in the water. I was sort of a loaner because other kids had so much and we didn't. But now as I look at it, we had the love at home and the training that got me where I am today. Thanks Mom, those willow switch lashes on the legs ever so often when I didn't do right are another thing I remember.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Midlothian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
26 years ago today Jaclyn Dowaliby disappeared... 7 hr Killer Kowalski 12
Finance Committee 22 hr trumbull 15
On The Bright Side Thu Doubting Thomas 6
Midlothian Library Thu trumbull 7
Will Governor Bruce bankrupt Midlothian? Thu Doubting Thomas 1
Who is Midlothians Jack Hille? Wed Trap Remix 2011 80
Conflict of Interest Hal Jr and Sr Wed Resident 46
Midlothian Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web