So our downtown looks so................

Posted in the Midlothian Forum

“26 year Midlo resident”

Since: Feb 09

Wichita, Kansas

#1 Dec 24, 2012
Empty. Wow, I went to the post office this AM. And it so sad it now seems the majority of the busnesses are empty. With the 7-11 being the latest to close. I would have to wonder what the percent is that are closed in Midlothian. The next thing we will hear is that they want another tax increase.
Common Sense

Midlothian, IL

#2 Dec 24, 2012
From what I am being told from the business owners they cannot afford the property tax. You will see more businesses closing. I stopped by Custom 77 and learned that he pays over $2000 a month in taxes. I am not sure how they expect a small business to make it in this town with taxes that high. I wonder if Emporium Liquors gets a tax break or if his business is really that good.
knowitall

Hammond, IN

#3 Dec 24, 2012
Common Sense wrote:
From what I am being told from the business owners they cannot afford the property tax. You will see more businesses closing. I stopped by Custom 77 and learned that he pays over $2000 a month in taxes. I am not sure how they expect a small business to make it in this town with taxes that high. I wonder if Emporium Liquors gets a tax break or if his business is really that good.
Is everyone still glad they voted for Home Rule? Just wait until they vote in the soft drink tax. Trust me, it's coming. Thanks to your newly appointed trustee. No new alcohol tax though because that would hurt the new guy and his wifes party time.

Since: Jun 09

Midlothian

#4 Dec 24, 2012
knowitall wrote:
<quoted text> Is everyone still glad they voted for Home Rule? Just wait until they vote in the soft drink tax. Trust me, it's coming. Thanks to your newly appointed trustee. No new alcohol tax though because that would hurt the new guy and his wifes party time.
Not true.
Oh Really

Alsip, IL

#5 Dec 25, 2012
...purple.

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian,Il

#6 Dec 25, 2012
Took a drive through Posen the other day on the way to I-57. Has anyone seen all the empty buildings in the Industrial complex? How about in Oak Forest? Went over to Crestwood the other day, theGiant Discount Liqour store, GONE along with a few other stores. Som It's not only Midlo.

“In my opinion..”

Since: Dec 09

Midlothian

#7 Dec 25, 2012
knowitall wrote:
<quoted text> Is everyone still glad they voted for Home Rule? Just wait until they vote in the soft drink tax. Trust me, it's coming. Thanks to your newly appointed trustee. No new alcohol tax though because that would hurt the new guy and his wifes party time.
Last time I checked, property tax rates are set by the county. When I talked to the owner of Strait before he left, he told me that the county rate went thru the roof and that is why he was moving. I used to stop at the Village Farm stand in South Holland. They closed because the county raised their tax rates over $30,000 a year. The common thread in most of the closings of long time buisnesses seems to be Cook county.

“26 year Midlo resident”

Since: Feb 09

Wichita, Kansas

#8 Dec 26, 2012
Well seems to be a tremendous difference in the amount say percentage wise of operating businesses in Chetwood vs us. Now with Ultra Foods open and Ross opening soon. Big difference.

And the trouble is one closing leads to another and then other. Picture someone thinks of opening one in an empty property. Then sees he is surrounded by more of the same. I always thought a big project on Cicero would have been a help in reversing this trend. But seems to not be going anywhere fast.

I totally wish it was not true. Keeping up the infrastructure costs money and we have none. Starts when I would leave my driveway my street is really sad. So not a good start.
midlo resident

United States

#9 Dec 26, 2012
Why do you think everyone is moving out of town?! It's depressing driving through there now. They can't sell the old grocery store/video store, so now they are using it as a billboard for open stores in town! I see a couple of those have even even scratched off.

When I moved to Midlo 10 1/2 years ago, I thought it was a super cute town. I loved my cute little house & the rest of the neighborhood. The best gift I got this year, was my new house (in addition to a happy/healthy family). I was sad to leave my first home, but every time I drive back over there, I miss it less & less.
midloguy30

Midlothian, IL

#10 Dec 26, 2012
eagleman wrote:
<quoted text>Last time I checked, property tax rates are set by the county. When I talked to the owner of Strait before he left, he told me that the county rate went thru the roof and that is why he was moving. I used to stop at the Village Farm stand in South Holland. They closed because the county raised their tax rates over $30,000 a year. The common thread in most of the closings of long time buisnesses seems to be Cook county.
Do you think the percentage of lost businesses in Midlo is greater then, less then or equal to what Cook County has lost?
Kildare Kid

Highland, IN

#11 Dec 26, 2012
eagleman. You are so correct about the Village Farm Stand in South Holland. I had them as a customer. Bert Wiltvoet the owner called one day and told me it was closng.He said business was good
but they could never have enough business to pay the county taxes. For many new business start up's they are given that tax reduction as politicans set up a TIF district. They then brag about how much business they created, business that doesn't bring in tax money, for about 10 years. It makes the politician look great, but the homeowner suffers.

“In my opinion..”

Midlothian

#12 Dec 26, 2012
midloguy30 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think the percentage of lost businesses in Midlo is greater then, less then or equal to what Cook County has lost?
To be honest, I haven't looked at it that way until you brought it up. I would guess we are about the same as the rest of Cook county. Now I am basing this on long term businesses, not new start ups as they have a higher rate of closing. Every buisness owner I have talked to over the past year says the same thing to me. The property taxes are killing them.
midloguy30

Midlothian, IL

#13 Dec 26, 2012
Yeah I don't think people are losing sleep over places like the candy nut and popcorn place going under but say in the last....5 years I would guess that we have lost more established businesses then average in cook county...A lot more...No data on that though...just speculation.

Keep in mind when you don't have a lot of business to start with each loss hurts much more. Crestwood for instance has a lot more industrial areas then we do. Some other towns could lose the same amount if businesses as us but we will still lose a higher percentage of revenue.

“In my opinion..”

Midlothian

#14 Dec 26, 2012
midloguy30 wrote:
Yeah I don't think people are losing sleep over places like the candy nut and popcorn place going under but say in the last....5 years I would guess that we have lost more established businesses then average in cook county...A lot more...No data on that though...just speculation.
Keep in mind when you don't have a lot of business to start with each loss hurts much more. Crestwood for instance has a lot more industrial areas then we do. Some other towns could lose the same amount if businesses as us but we will still lose a higher percentage of revenue.
I agree with you on the percentage of revenue, but I think we lost about average in the amount of buisnsses. Its kind of funny that this kind of info isn't reported but instead its buried somewhere.
Just take it in

Midlothian, IL

#15 Dec 26, 2012
This town doesn't have that small town welcome feeling anymore our local government is pushing our young families out of town 4 out of five of my children moved out of Midlothian. I grew up here as well amy siblings we all stayed and raised families but our kids want to leave its just not as appealing of a town it once was I know I'm leaving as soon as I can I don't feel we're the close community we once were Believe me we've tried to like midlothian again but the local government is just ruining this community .
2much

Alsip, IL

#16 Dec 30, 2012
Common Sense wrote:
Foreigners get to pay NO taxes for 7-8 years on new business. Did you ever wonder why so many Mid Easterners come here & start business'. It's the 8 year rule...They buy a business, pay no taxes, then sell it to their cousin who moves here & then again pays NO TAXES... it is surprising how many people who are born here don't know that but every person in other countries knows the drill...
Dunkin Donits & 7-11 don't even bother doing Buy a Franchise trade shows in Pakistan & India anymore because everyone knows except Americans who get no break when trying to open a small business
Agred

Homer Glen, IL

#17 Jan 5, 2013
2much wrote:
<quoted text> Foreigners get to pay NO taxes for 7-8 years on new business. Did you ever wonder why so many Mid Easterners come here & start business'. It's the 8 year rule...They buy a business, pay no taxes, then sell it to their cousin who moves here & then again pays NO TAXES... it is surprising how many people who are born here don't know that but every person in other countries knows the drill...
Dunkin Donits & 7-11 don't even bother doing Buy a Franchise trade shows in Pakistan & India anymore because everyone knows except Americans who get no break when trying to open a small business
X2
kildar kd

Highland, IN

#18 Jan 5, 2013
Oe added note.. They have the same wording if you do business with them

You Charge to much
What's my price
O'h the check bounced
I'm not paying the 35 dollars for returned check-
that's your bank.

This goes on and on. Many companies refuse to deal with these opportunist.

This is not a racist thing. It's just plain facts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Midlothian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 22 min KiMerde 50,030
Officer Fitzgerald 5 hr Midlo resident 9
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) Mon Spermcount1 4,049
Sentry Closing? (Mar '14) Mon lnj4500 50
They are working on the new Berkot's Sep 28 Bix 4
Bremen coach Sep 28 winterpeaches 6
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) Sep 27 Blwlgo 1,934

Midlothian Jobs

Midlothian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Midlothian News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Midlothian

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]