what are you looking for in a mayor?

Posted in the Middleville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
clean slate

United States

#1 Mar 6, 2013
it's been said that peters will not seek re-election so... what would the folks of little falls like to see in a new mayor? how about his staff? while were at it, what direction would folks like to see the city steered in? keep in mind this is not the job/ responsibility of one man and city employees but rather all residents. so what say you?
Wow

Little Falls, NY

#2 Mar 6, 2013
Our problems and main concerns are way beyond appointing an assessor or trying to squeeze 6700 bucks from the Y.
True I agree that we should of had a better process to pick Joy, and that we should leave the Y alone. But let's get down to the meat of our woes the budget . We need to focus on the money. Last year it was fracking this year again we are distracted by silly issues. Where will the money come from? The city needs to provide services. Do we want the ambulance service. Do we want to transition to a volunteer fire dept.
We as a city need to sit down and rationally think about the next 5 years. We need a comprehensive plan to go forward. Then and only then will we be able to progress the city, secure much needed funding and move forward. Everything else is trivial.
LF Resident

Utica, NY

#3 Mar 6, 2013
Agree with above. With a population under 5000 we cannot afford to be buying all these new DPW trucks, police SUV's, and ambulances. I also agree we should go to a buying bags system for garbage service. Just drive by section 8 houses on gargage night!
Average Dumb Schmuck

Utica, NY

#4 Mar 6, 2013
Wow wrote:
Our problems and main concerns are way beyond appointing an assessor or trying to squeeze 6700 bucks from the Y.
True I agree that we should of had a better process to pick Joy, and that we should leave the Y alone. But let's get down to the meat of our woes the budget . We need to focus on the money. Last year it was fracking this year again we are distracted by silly issues. Where will the money come from? The city needs to provide services. Do we want the ambulance service. Do we want to transition to a volunteer fire dept.
We as a city need to sit down and rationally think about the next 5 years. We need a comprehensive plan to go forward. Then and only then will we be able to progress the city, secure much needed funding and move forward. Everything else is trivial.
I agree, but successful planning processes are the one's which have the highest percentages of community residents as stakeholders in the success of the plan. That requires a lot of community meetings, seeking input and listening to everyone to try to ascertain what actually are the wants and wishes of the community and trying to come to a consensus about the sort of community we wish to have, not just five years out, but 25 years out.

Unfortunately, actually listening to citizens and seeking out their input and participation in the community seems to be the very last thing this current administration is interested in. All the power is concentrated at the top, and anyone who disagrees with the top is summary removed from any participation. You simply cannot successfully plan when only one individual's opinion is the only one that counts, and you must either agree with it or not be allowed to participate from an inside perspective. Successful plans require active participatory democracy, and that's the last thing we have going on in Little Falls under the current administration. Currently, we get nowhere because the only thing an interested citizen can really do is oppose the City. And that needs to be done at this point, but it's essentially negative..you can't move forward when all there is left to do is fight in opposition. All of our civic energy is absorbed in the necessary obstruction of the crazy schemes of the City government. We need to establish good government before we can begin to plan.
Think

Little Falls, NY

#5 Mar 6, 2013
LF Resident wrote:
Agree with above. With a population under 5000 we cannot afford to be buying all these new DPW trucks, police SUV's, and ambulances. I also agree we should go to a buying bags system for garbage service. Just drive by section 8 houses on gargage night!
That would be a fantastic idea, let's just leave the garbage sitting out front of the section 8 houses. Surely the residents will take care of it responsibly themselves, and not leave our streets strewn with garbage. Hey, I've got an idea, how about we discourage section 8 housing to begin with?

As for what I'm looking for, my minimum requirement is someone who didn't rake leaves for a living. We elected a moron and we're surprised at what we got. I am 100% in favor of someone who is NOT - repeat NOT - a lifelong, entrenched resident. Someone who maybe was born here, went away to college and/or a career, and came back. Someone who is not beholden to any of the local, we've-been-here-longer-so-we-g et-to-decide-everything crowd. Someone who will take EVERYONE'S views and opinions into account. Someone who has been involved in local issues.

We need a CLEAN BREAK from the "old guard" and the goons.
ABB

Little Falls, NY

#6 Mar 6, 2013
Think wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be a fantastic idea, let's just leave the garbage sitting out front of the section 8 houses. Surely the residents will take care of it responsibly themselves, and not leave our streets strewn with garbage. Hey, I've got an idea, how about we discourage section 8 housing to begin with?
As for what I'm looking for, my minimum requirement is someone who didn't rake leaves for a living. We elected a moron and we're surprised at what we got. I am 100% in favor of someone who is NOT - repeat NOT - a lifelong, entrenched resident. Someone who maybe was born here, went away to college and/or a career, and came back. Someone who is not beholden to any of the local, we've-been-here-longer-so-we-g et-to-decide-everything crowd. Someone who will take EVERYONE'S views and opinions into account. Someone who has been involved in local issues.
We need a CLEAN BREAK from the "old guard" and the goons.
Totally agree, enough of the goons, enough of the old guard. We need someone new, I don't care if they've lived here 2 years. We need a fresh perspective, new ideas, new energy. Enough of Bobby and anyone associated with him or Windy.

Signed,
Anybody But Bobby
lfman

Little Falls, NY

#7 Mar 6, 2013
If we want and need to change our city government then it starts with elections. We need to elect a Mayor and a council that can not simply establish dialog with the residents but can enact the kinds of programs that will sincerely move the city forward and improve it. remember this, we elected the mayor and council. We chose what we have right now. It was not a violent revolution that elected this council and left Mayor Booby in power, we, including myself did not get involved enough.
In am attempt to leave this off on a positive note, at least the council has thwarted a few resolutions that Mayor Booby desired. That alone is a good sign. Now we should focus on the budget process, get it trimmed with an eye on the next few years.
Who out there is going to run. I don't need names but I am interested to know. I am considering a run for council.
My Vote

Newington, CT

#8 Mar 6, 2013
I want to pot smoking tree hugger, one that blackmails, threatens, has illegal meetings, ignores conflicts of interest, has no morality, and lacks any knowledge of government law or ethics. If only we had someone like that in the city.
wishmael

Little Falls, NY

#9 Mar 6, 2013
We need a City Manager, with brains and ethics and business savvy. Pay them something reasonable. Cut the council down to 4, we don't need 8. We need open and transparent and smart governance. Hold open meetings and ideas sessions for the public like the fellow above suggests, get everyone who cares involved.

The current is mess is all because we do not.
LF Resident

Utica, NY

#10 Mar 6, 2013
I too am considering a council run
Good Bye

Newington, CT

#11 Mar 6, 2013
The way I hear it is there will creditable candidates coming out, and Gressler, Ruffing won't stand a chance next year. They will be gone but their legacy, and lawsuits will haunt the city for many years to come.
ABB

Little Falls, NY

#12 Mar 6, 2013
wishmael wrote:
We need a City Manager, with brains and ethics and business savvy. Pay them something reasonable. Cut the council down to 4, we don't need 8. We need open and transparent and smart governance. Hold open meetings and ideas sessions for the public like the fellow above suggests, get everyone who cares involved.
The current is mess is all because we do not.
The idea of a city manager isn't a bad one, although I think you'd have a difficult time paying someone who is qualified enough for the position. However, the idea of cutting the council down is a bad one. The last thing we want are fewer voices at the table.
ABB

Little Falls, NY

#13 Mar 6, 2013
LF Resident wrote:
I too am considering a council run
DO IT! Even if you don't succeed, make your voice heard! I would encourage ANYONE to run for council if they have an interest, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. We have so many intelligent and passionate people in this city who love Little Falls and who would make excellent council members (or mayors). I for one wish more people would give it a shot!
Herb

Little Falls, NY

#14 Mar 6, 2013
We have a population fifty percent social service dependent, who will be your volunteer fire department. The ambulance service was listed last year as a 287,000 dollar revenue, 1000,000 dollar revenue in fire contracts with other municipalities. If we don't buy DPW trucks who will plow the streets, you. You want a cop to run to your house if it is being robbed ? What services are necessary, we must decide. Public saftey costs money, right now with the scum we have moving in to our city is not a good time to cut back on public saftey. It can't always be about the dollar.
wishmael

Little Falls, NY

#15 Mar 6, 2013
Another thing. The City Charter needs to be reviewed and revised and made simpler so it no longer supports a good ole boy's ultra powerful mayor, but instead a City Government by the people and for the people. Let's get modern.

You may say that I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one.
O fits the description

Ilion, NY

#16 Mar 6, 2013
My Vote wrote:
I want to pot smoking tree hugger, one that blackmails, threatens, has illegal meetings, ignores conflicts of interest, has no morality, and lacks any knowledge of government law or ethics. If only we had someone like that in the city.
Somebody call my name? I'll need a job after this gig in the white house ends...I seem to meet all of your qualifications.
ABB

Little Falls, NY

#17 Mar 6, 2013
Herb wrote:
We have a population fifty percent social service dependent, who will be your volunteer fire department. The ambulance service was listed last year as a 287,000 dollar revenue, 1000,000 dollar revenue in fire contracts with other municipalities. If we don't buy DPW trucks who will plow the streets, you. You want a cop to run to your house if it is being robbed ? What services are necessary, we must decide. Public saftey costs money, right now with the scum we have moving in to our city is not a good time to cut back on public saftey. It can't always be about the dollar.
I think what the poster is getting at is that we don't need to buy new cars and trucks every year. Especially nowadays, cars can run forever. Perhaps for the police it's important, but there's no reason the Fire Chief should have a brand new truck every year with 22" chrome spinners. We need to be cost effective. DPW trucks should be able to be in service for a decade, not two years.
El Doofo

Brooklyn, NY

#18 Mar 6, 2013
Good Bye wrote:
The way I hear it is there will creditable candidates coming out, and Gressler, Ruffing won't stand a chance next year. They will be gone but their legacy, and lawsuits will haunt the city for many years to come.
Numbnuts, those two councilmen tried to STOP the lawsuits.

Hopefully, the rest of the electorate is a bit brighter than you.
LF Resident

Utica, NY

#19 Mar 6, 2013
Look at Verizon, National Grid, UPS they keep their trucks for years! Plus does every single DPW employee need their own truck!
just waiting

Wethersfield, CT

#20 Mar 6, 2013
No, what they did was divide a city. They threatened, blackmail, had their golf buddy Wallace fire Joy, harrassed residents, held illegal meetings, and most recently harrassed an elderly man trying to speak in opposition to their view. They both are as crooked as they come, and authorities have been notified by numerous people, I hope they like prison.
El Doofo wrote:
<quoted text>
Numbnuts, those two councilmen tried to STOP the lawsuits.
Hopefully, the rest of the electorate is a bit brighter than you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middleville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump is a dangerous imbecile 5 min Swamp Fox 4
DeLucca Resigns! 28 min Double talk 27
Tomorrow is Christmas in Little Falls 1 hr Little Falls Mountie 2
NYS Tax Trophies for All 1 hr SOI 5
Shelter Care Plus (Dec '12) 1 hr Tito 33
Utica schools 1 hr Concerned 1
Gas spill 2 hr In the know 5

Middleville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance