Dying to Drive

Full story: WZZM Grand Rapids

Teen drivers are among the most dangerous on the roads. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety , crashes are the leading cause of death among 13 to 19 year olds in the United States.
Comments
1 - 20 of 45 Comments Last updated May 20, 2008
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
alleganite

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
May 5, 2008
 
That's a wonderful opportunity for anyone to learn. It will give these teenagers much more confidence behind the wheel. An accident can happen in the blink of an eye...my heart goes out to Keisha's family. I wish their daughter were here for them, as well. Sounds like she was a great person.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
May 5, 2008
 
Take away their cell phones and ipods and I'll bet they would be driving safer. I see teens all the time, cell phone to their ear or texting while driving or playin with their ipods.

“Does Pavlov ring a bell?”

Since: Apr 08

Booger Hollow

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
May 5, 2008
 
While this is interesting, I would love to see a piece done on the dangers of elderly drivers. This is becoming and more and more dangerous age group and needs to be addressed.

Why beat a dead horse by talking about teens all the time? Good grief.
John Stuart

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
May 5, 2008
 
Didn't News 8 do this kind of stuff like a year ago? Copy cats.

“Just Thinking”

Since: Nov 07

Cedar Springs, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
May 5, 2008
 
I have a child who survived a horrific accident. It was on water, not road. This is a difficult subject. Many times I think the kids and even parents could do better, do more - yet, I see the other side too. I believe the sun was blinding the driver of the boat who hit my child. So what do we blame, who do we blame??? There really is no where to turn. She lived. She is hurt - her life will never be strong or healthy, boat propellers are very unforgiving. Sometimes life just throws us tough stuff. Sometimes we could have done better, sometimes it is an accident. Either way, things happen and I am glad when others do not have to deal with really hard, emotional, significant issues. On the other hand, I have a hug for those of you who have. I'm sorry she passed.

“Just Thinking”

Since: Nov 07

Cedar Springs, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
May 5, 2008
 
Hurley35 wrote:
Take away their cell phones and ipods and I'll bet they would be driving safer. I see teens all the time, cell phone to their ear or texting while driving or playin with their ipods.
You are right Hurley. Not all accidents are due to that but it is a huge issue. I cannot even recall how many times a driver has screwed up because (and I can see them) they are yacking on the phone or what not. What is wrong with people? Same kind of people who leave their kids in vehicles while they buy groceries or play bingo, makes me sick to my stomach.
Stephanie

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
May 5, 2008
 
I think what this family is doing is amazing. Instead of feeling sorry for themselves (which they have every right to do) they are doing something to help others! Stay strong and know that your daughter is watching over you everyday.
Stephanie

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
May 5, 2008
 
Hurley35 wrote:
Take away their cell phones and ipods and I'll bet they would be driving safer. I see teens all the time, cell phone to their ear or texting while driving or playin with their ipods.
This would be great if it were just teens doing this. I drive to GR and back everyday for work and see adults shaving, putting on make-up, eating, talking on cell phones, and reading the paper. I think that all people need the same rules on the road.
dolphinms

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
May 5, 2008
 
I wish the schools still held the classes in drivers ed. We have so many more deaths and accidents involving our teens since the classes stopped. The kids just are not getting the quality and experience like in the old days.. I graduated in 81 and our classes were very thorough. The price the schools dont want to incur is not worth the deaths we see.
mhl

Pentwater, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
May 6, 2008
 
I think this is a great opportunity not only for teenagers but also adults who move here with very limited weather condition experience.
From Greenville

White Cloud, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
May 6, 2008
 
I agree with Stephanie...I drive every day from Greenville and see adults chatting on cell phones, texting on cell phones, playing with iPods, shaving, putting on makeup, smoking, drinking coffee, eating McD's, reading the paper or a report, etc...it's NOT just teens who are distracted behind the wheel.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
May 6, 2008
 
Stephanie wrote:
<quoted text>
This would be great if it were just teens doing this. I drive to GR and back everyday for work and see adults shaving, putting on make-up, eating, talking on cell phones, and reading the paper. I think that all people need the same rules on the road.
I agree and I would totally support a ban on cell phones while driving. Just pull of at the next exit or something to take your call. No, it's not just teens but with teens it's just one more danger to add to the mix. They are inexperienced and they need to gain experience and be aware of what is going on around them on the road (like all drivers should be irregardless of age or experience and whether or not the make-up needs doing) but add an ipod and a cell phone to an inexperienced teen driver and you have a recipe for disaster.
Mark

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
May 6, 2008
 
Hurley35 wrote:
<quoted text>I agree and I would totally support a ban on cell phones while driving. Just pull of at the next exit or something to take your call.
I'll go for this, as soon as they ban makeup application, eating, changing radio stations, switching CD's, adjusting HVAC controls, daydreaming, etc, etc.

Sorry, I have to disagree. I can drive normally and talk on a cell phone, so why should I penalized for all the other idiots that can't?

And it still has yet to be proven that cell phones are large cause of accidents, especially when compared to all the other distractions in vehicles.
Dee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
May 6, 2008
 
I agree that cell phone use should be outlawed while driving. I've seen people blow through stop signs and cross the center line while chatting. No phone call is THAT important, that you risk yours and others lives to answer/make. And I can't even imagine HOW one can text and drive.
Neko

Glenwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
May 6, 2008
 
Call me a kook if ya want...

But the minimum age for drinking is part of the problem!

How many teenagers in Europe and other places in the world have a glass of good wine at meals with their family?

IMO... the kids who are old enough to go to war and die are old enough to drink....and if the law was changed to allow 15-18 year olds to have a glass of wine or a beer under their parents supervision maybe then the majority could be taught to drink responsibly...

And drink for taste instead of drinking to get blasted.

And people who are addicted to the stuff need to be sent to hospitals....not jails. They have a disease and need treatment. Putting them in cages just makes them look forward to the day they get out and do it all over again!

Free the cages of drunks and make more room for violent people....fill hospital beds with drunk driving fools....and the rest of us can pay less for healthcare and emergency services!

Of course the enemies of the US Constitution like to press this issue and call for more laws....more police...and more prisons!

Just the way I see it!

Since: Jan 08

Auburn

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
May 6, 2008
 
This is a wonderful thing these parents are doing. Kids and even adults need to be more aware of their surroundings while driving. Anything can happen in a split second. I am also very sorry for their loss.

Since: Jan 08

Auburn

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
May 6, 2008
 
I totally agree. There are too many people on cell phones and trying to drive. It is distracting for anyone. I don't even answer mine until I stop.
Hurley35 wrote:
<quoted text>I agree and I would totally support a ban on cell phones while driving. Just pull of at the next exit or something to take your call. No, it's not just teens but with teens it's just one more danger to add to the mix. They are inexperienced and they need to gain experience and be aware of what is going on around them on the road (like all drivers should be irregardless of age or experience and whether or not the make-up needs doing) but add an ipod and a cell phone to an inexperienced teen driver and you have a recipe for disaster.
Corruption control

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
May 6, 2008
 
Neko wrote:
Call me a kook if ya want...
But the minimum age for drinking is part of the problem!
How many teenagers in Europe and other places in the world have a glass of good wine at meals with their family?
IMO... the kids who are old enough to go to war and die are old enough to drink....and if the law was changed to allow 15-18 year olds to have a glass of wine or a beer under their parents supervision maybe then the majority could be taught to drink responsibly...
And drink for taste instead of drinking to get blasted.
And people who are addicted to the stuff need to be sent to hospitals....not jails. They have a disease and need treatment. Putting them in cages just makes them look forward to the day they get out and do it all over again!
Free the cages of drunks and make more room for violent people....fill hospital beds with drunk driving fools....and the rest of us can pay less for healthcare and emergency services!
Of course the enemies of the US Constitution like to press this issue and call for more laws....more police...and more prisons!
Just the way I see it!
Well neko i agree somewhat but you know how the control freaks are always trying to control others when they usualy cant manage themselves properly. Jails should be for violent criminals we have an electronic monitoring program and it should be used more often so people can keep thier jobs. Child support is another issue they should be electronically monitored allowed to keep thier job and forced to pay the support if they fail that step then jail.
The Mitten Sux

Maricopa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
May 6, 2008
 
What is new on the Rockford jeep dude?
He was drunk right?

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
May 6, 2008
 
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll go for this, as soon as they ban makeup application, eating, changing radio stations, switching CD's, adjusting HVAC controls, daydreaming, etc, etc.
Sorry, I have to disagree. I can drive normally and talk on a cell phone, so why should I penalized for all the other idiots that can't?
And it still has yet to be proven that cell phones are large cause of accidents, especially when compared to all the other distractions in vehicles.
Sure, but I think those things you mentioned should be covered under reckless driving, that is if the police would enforce it. Granted the police probably have better thing to do that looking for drivers putting on their mascara while blowing through a red light with a big mac in their mouth.

As for the cell phone thing. That's great that you are able to drive and talk at the same time but I would say the vast majority of drivers, especially teenagers, which this thread is all about, CAN NOT talk on a cell phone and drive attentively at the same time.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Middleville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Middleville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Middleville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Middleville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••