Helpful mom faces fines for watching ...

Helpful mom faces fines for watching neighbor's kids for free |...

There are 183 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Sep 29, 2009, titled Helpful mom faces fines for watching neighbor's kids for free |.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

A southwest Michigan woman has been told that she's breaking the law because she watches her neighbors' children each morning before they get on the school bus.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Kudos

Wheelersburg, OH

#166 Sep 30, 2009
Thankfully our government is not swayed by the anti-government rants that occupy this forum. Again, what if someone got hurt? With proper training and licensing, the odds of a tragic situation emerging are greatly reduced. Let her have her day in court so that she can "explain" her reasoning for violating the law.

Again, a nominal fine and some follow-up visits by Childrens Services, to ensure she abides by the law, is the most logical punishment.

Regarding those on here who say that neighbors need to help each other etc, what would you call what the brave neighbor who alerted the authorities did? She was looking out for EVERONE's best interests. It takes courage to stand up for justice, so kudos to the neighbor.
OMG

Grosse Pointe, MI

#167 Sep 30, 2009
Kudos – seriously who are you??? Are you the neighbor that reported this or an employee of DSH?? Or maybe you’re a liability lawyer?
I think you’re missing the picture here. Most people seem to have issue with the fact that this is a law at all.
As for anyone getting hurt, just because you hold a license doesn’t make you safe. It doesn’t mean an accident won’t happen. I’m a paramedic but I’m not a licensed daycare provider so you tell me who would you want to watch your kids?
A nominal fine………what about the cost of DHS man hours and lawyer fees. That is if there is no jail time. If we’re going to follow the law this could carry a 90 day sentence. That is 90 days housing a non-threatening mom in jail! What could you possibly be thinking?? I don’t get you Kudos and neither does anyone else. No one has taken your side!(oh, except the neighbor who told and the DHS)
Kudos wrote:
Thankfully our government is not swayed by the anti-government rants that occupy this forum. Again, what if someone got hurt? With proper training and licensing, the odds of a tragic situation emerging are greatly reduced. Let her have her day in court so that she can "explain" her reasoning for violating the law.
Again, a nominal fine and some follow-up visits by Childrens Services, to ensure she abides by the law, is the most logical punishment.
Regarding those on here who say that neighbors need to help each other etc, what would you call what the brave neighbor who alerted the authorities did? She was looking out for EVERONE's best interests. It takes courage to stand up for justice, so kudos to the neighbor.
LOL

Westerville, OH

#168 Sep 30, 2009
Kudos wrote:
Kudos, if you actually looked into what happened here, none of the parties believe that this is the kind of situation that the law was meant to apply to. The governor, DHS and the legislature are all working to change the wording of the law, which everyone agrees was poorly worded. I wouldn't be suprised if the woman notified DHS herself, just to make them aware of how poorly worded the law was and to bring attention to it.
Kudos

Wheelersburg, OH

#169 Sep 30, 2009
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
Kudos, if you actually looked into what happened here, none of the parties believe that this is the kind of situation that the law was meant to apply to. The governor, DHS and the legislature are all working to change the wording of the law, which everyone agrees was poorly worded. I wouldn't be suprised if the woman notified DHS herself, just to make them aware of how poorly worded the law was and to bring attention to it.
Wow, I guess I take back my compliment regarding how the government isn't bowing to pressure from the anti-government loons on here. It is a sad day when public policy is dictated from the fringe. I for one will be emailing the Governor of Michigan and urge her not to capitulate to the pressure. Our children are too valuable to be put at risk.

Regarding the neighbor who alerted DHS, how do you know that they were just out to get the mother? In today's day and age we can't be too careful and I for one am glad DHS upheld the law. Now the publicity hound legislature will probably bow to the right wingers and gut this law. I am sure all of you will be on here ranting again when some child is hurt, or heaven forbid worse, once this conduct is legal again.

90 days in jail would be a little harsh for this offense, but several follow up visits from DHS are definitely in order.
LOL

Westerville, OH

#170 Sep 30, 2009
Kudos wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, I guess I take back my compliment regarding how the government isn't bowing to pressure from the anti-government loons on here. It is a sad day when public policy is dictated from the fringe. I for one will be emailing the Governor of Michigan and urge her not to capitulate to the pressure. Our children are too valuable to be put at risk.
Regarding the neighbor who alerted DHS, how do you know that they were just out to get the mother? In today's day and age we can't be too careful and I for one am glad DHS upheld the law. Now the publicity hound legislature will probably bow to the right wingers and gut this law. I am sure all of you will be on here ranting again when some child is hurt, or heaven forbid worse, once this conduct is legal again.
90 days in jail would be a little harsh for this offense, but several follow up visits from DHS are definitely in order.
Troll
Kudos

Wheelersburg, OH

#171 Sep 30, 2009
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
You are abdolutely right. We have friends in our neighborhood and their kids FREQUENTLY spend the night at each other's houses during the summer. Camp out in their back yards etc....Under that "statute" apparently ALL of that would be illegal !!! Nonsense !!!!
Hosting sleepovers is not the same as running an illegal and unliscensed daycare center.
Sms

Columbus, OH

#172 Sep 30, 2009
Kudos----follow-up visits for WHAT????? To validate that she is doing her neighbors a favor??? Honestly--do you think she is breaking any laws??? I also find it very interesting that you and very few others feel justified in supporting this....and we all wonder why people don't seem to want to help others anymore...it's very sad....
Yeah Right

Grosse Pointe, MI

#173 Sep 30, 2009
Kudos wrote:
<quoted text>
Hosting sleepovers is not the same as running an illegal and unliscensed daycare center.
Kudos – She is not running an illegal unlicensed daycare center!!! She is watching her friend’s kids for FREE! Not a business not for profit but for the sake of aiding a friend!!
And if law makers bow to the popular opinion and change the law then Kudos to them! That is how government for the people by the people means. Popular or majority wins and you are the only one I see in any of these postings that seem to think this is a good law!
………However it is fun ready the arguments!
Mike

Powell, OH

#174 Sep 30, 2009
I hope she didn't cook for those kids, they will probably execute her for that
LOL

Westerville, OH

#175 Sep 30, 2009
Kudos wrote:
<quoted text>
According to this Michigan law, it is.
Mike

Powell, OH

#176 Sep 30, 2009
Yep, they are absolutely right! It is better to let the kids stand outside for an hour in the cold waiting for the bus where they are cold and vulnerable to some child molester or kidnapper approaching them. Much better to let them do that than someone to care for them and watch them till the bus gets there. Shut these LOSERS up!
Kudos

Wheelersburg, OH

#177 Sep 30, 2009
Sms wrote:
Kudos----follow-up visits for WHAT????? To validate that she is doing her neighbors a favor??? Honestly--do you think she is breaking any laws??? I also find it very interesting that you and very few others feel justified in supporting this....and we all wonder why people don't seem to want to help others anymore...it's very sad....
If she stops breaking the law, why would she mind the follow up visits hmmm? It is amazing to me that I seem to be the only one who has a clear vision of what's right here. DHS did their job and you people don't like it. Well guess what, you have NO say in the matter. That is why it is imperitive that we maintain a separation between government employees doing their job and uneducated voters. That way they do not have to fear doing what's right vs fear of losing their job if they irritate the voters. What is truly frightening is the lack of support being shown for OUR government in these posts.
Rachael

United States

#178 Sep 30, 2009
Kudos wrote:
<quoted text>
Allowing 3 kids to wait 40 minutes for a school bus under the supervision of a neighbor is not running a daycare center either...But you don't want to recognize that.
Rachael

United States

#179 Sep 30, 2009
Kudos wrote:
<quoted text>
If she stops breaking the law, why would she mind the follow up visits hmmm? It is amazing to me that I seem to be the only one who has a clear vision of what's right here. DHS did their job and you people don't like it. Well guess what, you have NO say in the matter. That is why it is imperitive that we maintain a separation between government employees doing their job and uneducated voters. That way they do not have to fear doing what's right vs fear of losing their job if they irritate the voters. What is truly frightening is the lack of support being shown for OUR government in these posts.
Nobody is arguing that DHS didn't do their job according to the law as it was vaguely written. What is being argued is that the law is wrong to being with.
The beauty of this country is that if something is wrong, as this clearly is, then you fix it. The officials in Michigan seem to be doing just that.
And yes Kudos, residents of Michigan absolutely DO have a say in the matter. Voting in or out of officials, referendums to correct faulty language, petitioning of their elected representatives, etc. etc.
You seem to be the only one that has trouble understanding that the government is in place to serve the people, not the other way around.
Missy from Ohio

Allison Park, PA

#180 Sep 30, 2009
If she is not getting paid she is not doing anything wrong...even if she is...this is the parents choice in the neighborhood. what is the world coming to...you get in trouble if you leave your kids alone, you can't trust people with your children, and now if you watch someone else's children for an hour so your neighbors can get to work to support these children you can get in trouble for that....This is the most unbelievable thing I have heard in a long time...How do these government agencies expect people to live...Its becoming outrageous and somewhere something has to give.
concernedmom

Westerville, OH

#181 Oct 1, 2009
In these economic times especially, the government should be commending and encouraging people who are willing to help their neighbors so they can make a living and stay off government subsidies. Would they rather that the woman leave her children unattended or lose her job and live off the system??? What is wrong with this country when you are discouraged for doing the right thing!!
Ohio Lawyer

Columbus, OH

#182 Oct 1, 2009
Bob wrote:
These DHS officials will be the type of employee running healthcare if democrats get their way. The DHS does not care about the kids as much as they care about the power to intrude into the lives of these people. Michigan is in a severe recession but the gov employees are out in force to interfere with individuals lives. Will the ACLU take her case or are they busy kicking the Boy Scouts out of somewhere ?
You are one obsessed little whacko.
gwms

Fort Myers, FL

#183 Oct 1, 2009
They shouldn't be able to tell her who she can invite over her house in the morning. Kids or not. This is bull shit. I've watched my girlfrinds kids before in the morning so they can get to work ontime. I dont run a daycare. Whoever reported this to DHS should get a life and stay out of others. There's no law that says you can't help friends. What a waste of time. Tell them to go to hell.
Yo mama

Columbus, OH

#184 Oct 1, 2009
Dee Dee wrote:
Curious how the DHS found out about a neighbor watching another neighbors kids? Regardless, it really isn't anyone elses business. I agree that OUR government needs to take a HUGE step back and let parents be parents and neighbors be neighbors!! Let's try helping the children that need childcare instead of taking away the childcare that some children already have!!!
Um, ah, I think that the problem here is in fact the neighbors. Who do people complain to about each other? The gov't that they supposedly hate. Don't like your neighbor's paint color? Call the code enforcement folks while you hide behind your door.
To paraphrase Pogo, "we have met the government and they is us."
Becky - Indiana

West Lafayette, IN

#185 Oct 2, 2009
So the DHS thinks that the kids are better off standing by the school bus stop for 40 minutes than in the neighbor's house. Let me see, winter is coming so that means snow and possible frostbite, Jaycee Dugard got abducted at a school bus stop, traffic is often very close to where the kids wait - and this is 'in the best interest of the children'? How? Unless there is some ligimate reason the neighbor shouldn't watch the kids (like abuse, pedifile, etc), DHS needs to butt out. These kids are being looked after, go find some that aren't.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middleville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Does anyone jnow why this so called coach Newt... (Sep '08) Dec '16 Hector Bowman 3
Reindeercam.com (Jul '15) Jul '15 Wondering 1
News Good Friday Night for Holland & Hope Dutch; GVS... (Dec '12) Dec '14 Blackhorse 2
Review: Haman Hounds (Dec '14) Dec '14 sharen van santen 1
Feet chat (Aug '14) Aug '14 Saranac Michigan 2
Debate: Obama-Marriage - Caledonia, MI (May '12) Aug '14 Sharon 6
News Wayland bring an unsavory bite of Michigan to T... (Jul '14) Jul '14 WaylandFan 1

Middleville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Middleville Mortgages