Helpful mom faces fines for watching ...

Helpful mom faces fines for watching neighbor's kids for free |...

There are 183 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Sep 29, 2009, titled Helpful mom faces fines for watching neighbor's kids for free |.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

A southwest Michigan woman has been told that she's breaking the law because she watches her neighbors' children each morning before they get on the school bus.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Bob

Roswell, GA

#1 Sep 29, 2009
These DHS officials will be the type of employee running healthcare if democrats get their way. The DHS does not care about the kids as much as they care about the power to intrude into the lives of these people. Michigan is in a severe recession but the gov employees are out in force to interfere with individuals lives. Will the ACLU take her case or are they busy kicking the Boy Scouts out of somewhere ?
the myestirous stranger

Grove City, OH

#2 Sep 29, 2009
THAT iS RIDICULOUS!!!!!
totlgal

Omaha, NE

#3 Sep 29, 2009
Why not let DHS watch the children for the few minutes before the school bus arrives? Then let's see who turns them in for running an "illegal daycare". What a bunch of bunk!!
Outraged

Athens, OH

#4 Sep 29, 2009
That is ridiculous!!!!! People can't be neighborly anymore? Help someone out? What IS this world coming to!!! This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard "today". I'm sure something else will top it by the end of the day though. People need to mind their own business! If you have that much time to worry about whether your neighbor is watching some kids for free no less, you need a life!!!!
Meathead

Columbus, OH

#6 Sep 29, 2009
OMG! There has to be another side to this story. Otherwise, this is just stupid!
I Fly Too Much

New York, NY

#7 Sep 29, 2009
I would honestly tell the DHS offical to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. I would ask for a ruling on what "watching" entails? We as a country are in alot of trouble
Angry Young American

Circleville, OH

#8 Sep 29, 2009
But- but DHS is doing this for THE CHILDREN!! The government has every right to intrude into all aspects of your daily life as long as it's for THE CHILDREN!!
Fred Worthington

Erlanger, KY

#9 Sep 29, 2009
Meathead wrote:
OMG! There has to be another side to this story. Otherwise, this is just stupid!
Whilst I share your hope, this is the government at work. It really could just be stupid.
Real

New Albany, OH

#10 Sep 29, 2009
I am really starting to honestly Hate this government.
Kudos

Powell, OH

#11 Sep 29, 2009
If it was for 5-10 minutes a day, maybe I could see it. But come on, 40 minutes per day? What happens if the kids get hurt, miss the bus, contract a foodborne illness etc? That is why we have licensing procedures in this country, to try and minimize these scenarios. Does this woman know CPR? Had her kitchen inspected to make sure it is up to par? Is she being paid and if so, will she properly report the income in order to pay the appropriate taxes?

Kudos to the authorities in Michigan, who probably knew the rightwing nutjobs would be out in force once this made news, for taking a brave stand and following PROCEDURE.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Not from Pataskala

Columbus, OH

#12 Sep 29, 2009
Wouldn't "operating" a day care involve the exchange of money? I don't see how the DHS should be involved unless the kids were abused or neglected somehow.

Like Meathead said earlier, there has got to be another side (or more) to this story. Otherwise it remains an example of pure, unadulterated, stupidity!
Kevin

United States

#13 Sep 29, 2009
are you f-ing kidding me? This has to be the stupidest thing i have ever heard. There are millions of people breaking that law everyday. Our government sucks!
Dan

Columbus, OH

#14 Sep 29, 2009
These government officials should be publicly hung.
Meathead

Columbus, OH

#15 Sep 29, 2009
What happens when their kids want to have a slumber party with her kids??? OMG NO!!!!!!!!!! However did we all survive our childhoods without Certified CPR moms & health dept inspected kitchens??? Thank the Lord for the Govt!
Jim

Athens, OH

#16 Sep 29, 2009
Doing a good turn daily is on the way to being illegal.
GAR--142

Grove City, OH

#17 Sep 29, 2009
She's not WATCHING the children. They just like to VISIT her before leaving for school.
Rcho

Columbus, OH

#18 Sep 29, 2009
surprise?
not a bid, especially from that state up north.
they need just about every little thing they can get to generate some kind of revenue for that state, good luck lady, i hope you win the battle.
Ethel Mertz

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Sep 29, 2009
When did being a good neighbor become against the law or a sin?
Real

New Albany, OH

#20 Sep 29, 2009
Kudos wrote:
If it was for 5-10 minutes a day, maybe I could see it. But come on, 40 minutes per day? What happens if the kids get hurt, miss the bus, contract a foodborne illness etc? That is why we have licensing procedures in this country, to try and minimize these scenarios. Does this woman know CPR? Had her kitchen inspected to make sure it is up to par? Is she being paid and if so, will she properly report the income in order to pay the appropriate taxes?
Kudos to the authorities in Michigan, who probably knew the rightwing nutjobs would be out in force once this made news, for taking a brave stand and following PROCEDURE.
You are exactly what is wrong with this country. Please GET OUT OF OTHER PEOPLES LIFE!!!!

You left wing FASCIST!!!
Jay

Columbus, OH

#21 Sep 29, 2009
Crap like this is why less and less people are helpful anymore. Look at how many people do something to be nice then end up getting sued or arrested or whatever. This country is going down the crapper faster and faster each day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middleville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Reindeercam.com Jul '15 Wondering 1
News Good Friday Night for Holland & Hope Dutch; GVS... (Dec '12) Dec '14 Blackhorse 2
Review: Haman Hounds (Dec '14) Dec '14 sharen van santen 1
Feet chat (Aug '14) Aug '14 Saranac Michigan 2
Debate: Obama-Marriage - Caledonia, MI (May '12) Aug '14 Sharon 6
News Wayland bring an unsavory bite of Michigan to T... (Jul '14) Jul '14 WaylandFan 1
women, what is the favourite part of your body? (May '14) May '14 spunkmonkey 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Middleville Mortgages