Chief: Ex-officer's arrest has 'no bearing' on force

Full story: Lowell Sun 63
A retired officer charged Wednesday in connection with an alleged heroin and cocaine ring was 11 years removed from the force and his arrest has "no bearing on any of the officers who are here now," Police Chief Fran Hart said. Read more
Local

Maynard, MA

#44 Feb 17, 2010
With the recent police issues found in Burlington and Tyngsboro, I wonder how many the public never hears about. This state needs a major cleanup.
concerned townie

Lexington, MA

#45 Feb 18, 2010
To bad the Burlington police department spends more time and $$ ratting each other out than doing what the tax payers are paying them for. Thanks chief hart your the main cause of this dissention in our town's police dept.This was happening right in our own town and our drug dept. couldn't firgure it out. now thats scary. Seems to me this is the 2nd big drug bust in burlington, not solved by our officers. The first being the Captain pizza bust (another fed bust). Maybe burlington should give the drug officer job to someone who can handle it... Chief hart should stop spending the town's $ on worthless complaints & instead deal with the bad ass cops in his own department who are best friends with the cop accused of this crime. Let the new guy handle this situation and maybe we'll get to the truth. Smells like another cover up.
Tyngsborough

Merrimack, NH

#46 Feb 18, 2010
I agree with Local, "With the recent police issues found in Burlington and Tyngsboro, I wonder how many the public never hears about. This state needs a major cleanup."
serpico

Arlington, MA

#47 Feb 18, 2010
LET ME AT EM. IT SEEMS THE BPD CLEANED UP THERE PROBLEM 12 YEAS AGO
taxpayer

Chelsea, MA

#48 Feb 19, 2010
Why do we need a drug unit in Burlington anyway? They bust kids for a little weed, we would be better off having them in uniform than wasting my local tax dollars on nothing.
taxpayer

Chelsea, MA

#49 Feb 19, 2010
Why do we need a drug unit in Burlington anyway. Whe are spending my local tax dollars on cops waisting our money, cut the budget, put them back in uniform so they are accountable to atleast someone. PLEASE
concerned townie

Lexington, MA

#50 Feb 19, 2010
taxpayer wrote:
Why do we need a drug unit in Burlington anyway. Whe are spending my local tax dollars on cops waisting our money, cut the budget, put them back in uniform so they are accountable to atleast someone. PLEASE
I agree with you. The drug unit should be dismantled and put back in uniform so that they are accountable for their actions or as I see it lack of action.... The system as a whole needs to be changed, from the patrolman who run to town hall to rat on one another, all the way up to the selectman who listen to all the bogus allegations and spend our tax dollars on paying people off. All I can say is thank god the chief is retiring, now maybe all the crap that he has allowed to go on in his department will be put to rest and the town's police men can actually do their jobs. Burlington was a town that I used to be proud of, not anymore.
waltham

Waltham, MA

#51 Mar 2, 2010
No the woman from Waltham IS NOT a relative of theirs...
Woburn Resident wrote:
His son has been dealing since at least 2000, its public record that he was busted selling heroin back then, and then worked for the WPD as an informant to stay out of jail. I hope they investigate to see whether or not the dad had any involvement back then.
And its a known fact that he has been the major supplier in woburn for at least 6 years now, so why didnt the Woburn Police move on him any sooner?? They could of saved at least 3 lives that I know of people who died off the heroin him and derek sold. Notice **** there was absolutely no WPD involvement in the raids? Something smells fishy about this whole situation, officer Rufo and his task force are involved in every drug related bust in woburn except for this one all the sudden. I would investigate them for corruption for allowing mike and his dad free reign for so long, who knows how many deaths are on Rufos hands too for allowing this to go on for so long, and offering heroin traffickers protection.
And just take a look at this officers family. He is a junkie drug trafficker just like his son (the snitch), his wife is a druggie, and his daughter is a drunken coke ho. Also im pretty sure the girl from Waltham who was raided was also related to them too. Stand up family if you ask me, exactly the kind I would want representing my city. what a joke, I hope they all rot in jail cells for many years.
The Wing

Cambridge, MA

#52 Mar 2, 2010
The title of this thread is correct. The uncovering of a 'retired' police officer and son who ARE the drug dealers will not affect the force. This is because Burlington, like most Massachusetts towns, are so knee deep in corruption that simply uncovering one will not change a thing. Notice how quickly and angrily people came to voice their thoughts about this officer, a reflection of the pent up frustration that Massachusetts residents have with police forces that are flying high on six figure salaries (or close to it, plus lots and lots of overtime and detail opportunities), have no real scrutiny for integrity other than chiefs hired from within the system, and all the while turn out to be amongst the Commonwealth's most disgusting criminals themselves.

Yet police take all of this complaining with a grain of salt, because they know that nobody really will uncover the depth of the abuse, that they will typically only have to answer to their peers, that their unions will fight with power and might to insure that anything that cannot be absolutely proven will not knock them into disrepute and even if all else fails, they have a fanstatic package of compensation and pension that will leave them hated but rich. It's lonely at the top, but in the case of a Massachusetts police officer, its well worth the benefits.

When will this state start taking on the police unions? We have tens of millions of wasted dollars which could go to rebuilding roads, schools, lowering the deficit and maybe even lowering taxes. I promise you the money is there and the crime will not increase. If anything, a transparent, honest law enforcement system could increase community policing, incent creative programs for crime reduction and cut out some of the worst crime out there, the crime that comes from our own law enforcement officers. This is a golden opportunity for the next gubernatorial candidate. The money is there and the public support is there. I don't understand whats holding them back.

Oh yeah, the cops have guns. That must be it.
The West Newton Kid

Brookline, MA

#53 Mar 5, 2010
The Wing wrote:
The title of this thread is correct. The uncovering of a 'retired' police officer and son who ARE the drug dealers will not affect the force. This is because Burlington, like most Massachusetts towns, are so knee deep in corruption that simply uncovering one will not change a thing. Notice how quickly and angrily people came to voice their thoughts about this officer, a reflection of the pent up frustration that Massachusetts residents have with police forces that are flying high on six figure salaries (or close to it, plus lots and lots of overtime and detail opportunities), have no real scrutiny for integrity other than chiefs hired from within the system, and all the while turn out to be amongst the Commonwealth's most disgusting criminals themselves.
Yet police take all of this complaining with a grain of salt, because they know that nobody really will uncover the depth of the abuse, that they will typically only have to answer to their peers, that their unions will fight with power and might to insure that anything that cannot be absolutely proven will not knock them into disrepute and even if all else fails, they have a fanstatic package of compensation and pension that will leave them hated but rich. It's lonely at the top, but in the case of a Massachusetts police officer, its well worth the benefits.
When will this state start taking on the police unions? We have tens of millions of wasted dollars which could go to rebuilding roads, schools, lowering the deficit and maybe even lowering taxes. I promise you the money is there and the crime will not increase. If anything, a transparent, honest law enforcement system could increase community policing, incent creative programs for crime reduction and cut out some of the worst crime out there, the crime that comes from our own law enforcement officers. This is a golden opportunity for the next gubernatorial candidate. The money is there and the public support is there. I don't understand whats holding them back.
Oh yeah, the cops have guns. That must be it.
Well said. Just yesterday 3 cops in Providence RI were arrested on charges relating to a cocaine dealing operation. Over in Dracut Mass; $80,000.00 worth of marijuana just vanished from the evidence room of the Dracut PD one day over 6 years ago; and no one was ever charged. We have FBI investigation going on in Stoughton Mass right now; with as many as 6 - 12 cops involved with corruption. Our police forces are out of control. And, it is because they have zero accountability. It is a national problem; but here in Mass the cops are really calling the shots. They do as they want with virtually no checks and balances in place.
kelly hardin

Derry, NH

#54 Mar 6, 2010
local people in Burlington, Lexington, Woburn and Dracut should send this information to INJUSTICE EVERYWHERE www.injusticeeverywhere.com/

they dont always get all of the small town data i think especially if no abuse is proved and we know in Mass how hard that is given that the police control all of the evidence.

anyone who knows of police abuse and keeps it to themself is not doing anyone any good.
East Newton Kid

Malden, MA

#55 Mar 6, 2010
No cop bashing forum is complete without the west newton douchebag. Where ya been buddy? Safe to say not at work I guess.
anoth Townie

Burlington, MA

#56 Mar 7, 2010
I know wrote:
<quoted text>What does this pizza shop have to do with anything?? Cops will eat there b/c it's close to the station. The guy that owns it did his time and has absolutely nothing to do with the BPD or the drug bust. The cops are eating there, not sleeping with him!
Obviously YOU dont read the papers!! MAybe he didnt have to do with That Drug Arrest, But Gee i think thats what he went to Jail for in the first place!! Idiot!!! know your facts before you shoot off your mouth!!! The feds Cleaned up one mess from that place and SOON they will be cleaning another!! AND OFF TOPIC??? NO BURLINGTON POLICE WAS THE TOPIC....and the people they associate with Moron!!!
MacDonald

Arlington, MA

#57 Mar 7, 2010
I agree. There are plenty of people running drugs in our world. The issue is not that. The issue is cops who have been entrusted to protect the citizens by enforcing the laws and who are given special trust in our society are the ones who have been caught running the drugs. Everyone who they associate, from their unions, to their phone solicitors, to their donut shop to their pizza guy will endure scrutiny because the police have shown themselves to be regularly, repeatedly, habitually and chronically abusing their power.

By the way East Newton Kid. Maybe if there were less reasons people were so angry with police, there would be fewer cop bashing sights. And no intimidation for us today? You're out of character.
Dont just sit there

Everett, MA

#58 Mar 8, 2010
BOO Hoo. Anonymous cowards who should do something to fix the problems you allege are rampant in policing. Seems like just a good place to spout off. If someone who works for the telephone company does something wrong is it the fault of all the telephone workers? No it is not. But public dislike of police makes them all scape goats. Idiots.
The West Newton Kid

Brookline, MA

#59 Mar 8, 2010
Dont just sit there wrote:
BOO Hoo. Anonymous cowards who should do something to fix the problems you allege are rampant in policing. Seems like just a good place to spout off. If someone who works for the telephone company does something wrong is it the fault of all the telephone workers? No it is not. But public dislike of police makes them all scape goats. Idiots.
The problem with your logic and your analogy, Dimwit, is that Telephone Company Employees are not sworn in to uphold the law. Cops are. So, the cops are the last people who should be breaking the law. Needless to say, two things have to happen to fix the problem of corrupt cops:

1) The use of Civilian Review Boards for all matters involving police misconduct and wrongdoing.

2) More severe punishment for cops caught being involved in misconduct and wrongdoing.

Obviously, the current system is grossly flawed. Number one, the police are policing themselves; and collectively they have a poor record for honesty and integrity. So, there are no checks and balances in place for our lawmen. Two, the current method used by the police for stepping up to one of their own who is caught being involved in misconduct and/or criminal wrongdoing is: preferably do nothing at all; or, give the offender a light slap on the wrist to make the public feel better; and/or transfer or promote the offender to keep him from being able to repeat his wrongdoing; or, ask the offender to quietly turn in his badge with zero fear of criminal prosecution, while being able to keep his cushy retirement package.

Again, it is as plain as day that the only fix to the problem is the use of Civilian Review Boards; as well as quick and severe punishment for criminal cops. And, that is why the cops nationwide have had an active compaign going for years AGAINST the use of Civilian Review Boards. The last thing that are cops want is for them to be held to a higher standard of behavior than the general public. With the current system that is in place, they are having one hell of a time holding themselves to a much lower standard of behavior than the general public.
Dont just sit there

Everett, MA

#60 Mar 8, 2010
If you were unaware EVERYONE is supposed to uphold the law. Look into your US Constitution and see, we are all supposed to uphold the laws of our country. You obviously never did anything for anybody but yourself. What branch of the military were you in? Where did you help people when you served with the peace corps? What was it you did to help society? Oh yeah you don't say. Go find some stats or someone else's quotes and make them your own.
burl resident

Burlington, MA

#61 Mar 8, 2010
If you were unaware EVERYONE is supposed to uphold the law. Look into your US Constitution and see, we are all supposed to uphold the laws of our country. You obviously never did anything for anybody but yourself. What branch of the military were you in? Where did you help people when you served with the peace corps? What was it you did to help society? Oh yeah you don't say. Go find some stats or someone else's quotes and make them your own.
Sorry to agree with the last post, you really are a dimwit!
Darn Tootin from W Newton

Brookline, MA

#62 Mar 8, 2010
"EVERYONE is supposed to uphold the law"

Agreed, Dimwit, but only the cops are SWORN IN to uphold it; the rest of us are simply supposed to do what's right.

So, obviously, THERE IS a difference. If someone takes an oath; swearing to uphold the law; and then they don't actually do it 100% of the time; they need to be held accountable for it. But, I suspect that you already knew that. And, you were just hoping that someone out in Readerdom might be stupid enough to buy into your warped reasoning.

Again, ol Pal, Civilian Review Boards are a necessity in order to fix things. And, that is why the cops; their powerful unions and the Fraternal Order of Police are so strongly opposed to the idea of using Civilian Review Boards for investigating police abuse, wrongdoing and criminal behavior. The typical free pass for anything and everything would be over.

And, don't concern yourself with me, personally. My background does not matter. Just stay on topic, ol' Boy, and don't try to sidetrack things.....
Wake Up Dude

United States

#63 Mar 8, 2010
I don't really think that phone workers and police officers have much in common. Phone workers don't falsely arrest people, they don't beat people up while questioning them, they don't generate false reports or lie on reports or embelish reports, they don't violate privacy rights, they don't carry guns to intimidate people with, they don't threaten people, they don't lie about what they'll do if someone doesn't confess to something they didn't do, they can't send someone to court, they can't put someone in jail, you don't need to spend thousands of dollars to get you out of a mess with phone workers.

BREATH

Their departments don't cover up their misdeeds, they don't control their own internal investigations, they don't have powerful unions which prevent people from looking into corruption of police workers.

BREATH

They are also private companies. You do know that the Bell System broke up, right? Our taxes don't pay their salaries. If a phone company was taking advantage of people, the publicity would hurt that company and people would protest and switch over to another provider. They aren't trusted with public money, files, and time. Yet for those utilities which are quasi-government controlled such as local power and light companies, you don't have the potential to hurt people as outlined in the first paragraph AND you have the DPU which has no real system to avoid investigating the abuse.

That analogy doen't work at all.

What do you propose that people do to solve the problem (besides just put up with it as they always have)???????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middleton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dennis 'Oil Can' Boyd to Help Northeast Arc Swi... Mar 19 Where is the Warmth 1
News Beverly man arrested and charged in shooting Feb '15 Gloucester Co 2
Gay text/k..k Feb '15 K_Rivera23 2
News No sympathy for Alberto Sierra (May '14) Jun '14 Jere 31
Dailey's Pub (Oct '13) Oct '13 Whiskey Willie 1
News Drug Arrest and House Break-in in Wenham (May '12) May '12 some bs 1
Review: Fantastic Sams (Jun '11) Jun '11 becareful 1
Middleton Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Middleton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance