Bell County EMS
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Telling The Truth

Dyer, TN

#1 Dec 25, 2008
Attention citizens of Bell County. Your stellar EMS service has struck again. As I enter this an ambulance from another county and state has had to come to MARH and transport a baby to a Knoxville hospital again while the Bell EMS crews sit on their ever widening behinds at their station. Lucky for the people over here, some EMS services care more about the patients well being than their own comfort. Sleep well boys, you guys are covered again.
What I want to know is their anyone with influence and power that can influence changes and get these guys doing their jobs? Everyone pays taxes to Bell County that subsidize these guys. What is bad is that this seems to only happen when certain crews are on duty. A crew from another service is going to be late getting home to their families on Christmas when these guys are on all night and could go. I am sorry for the family and their unforeseen emergency and I hope everything is okay.
OKTHEN

South Fulton, TN

#2 Dec 25, 2008
I'm not sure if there is any one that you can call but before you judge the whole crew just take into consideration that is only a few of them! I'm so sorry that the ones that need assistance in transportation has to depend on others and if there is anyway i can find out who to call i will let you know!
my thoughts

Dyer, TN

#3 Dec 25, 2008
It only takes one or two to five the entire service a bad rap. But most of them are worthless.
My thoughts too

Fulton, KY

#4 Dec 25, 2008
It is funny how every service thinks they are better than everyone else and that everyone at the 'other' service is worthless. Why dont we all grow up and get along. Everyone is in it for the same reason.
truth2

Pineville, KY

#5 Dec 25, 2008
Everyone's supposed to be in it for the same reason, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
my thoughts

Dyer, TN

#6 Dec 25, 2008
This is not about anyone being better than someone else. It is about someone not doing their job and putting it off on someone else. we can post here all day as to why but that won't change anything.
truth2

Pineville, KY

#7 Dec 25, 2008
If you want to talk about someone not doing their job, MFD would be at the top of the list!
my thoughts

Dyer, TN

#8 Dec 25, 2008
And why would they be at the top of the list?
Steve

Fulton, KY

#9 Dec 26, 2008
Middlesboro provides a BLS (Basic Life Support) no administration of meds. Bell County provides ALS (Advance Life Support) they are able to give meds and stablize a patient better. If you have a emergency you need a ALS service, they can do more for you. MFD needs to get medics and get with the times. Middlesboro is one of the few BLS services in the state of KY. Lets get with it!!
ur crazy

United States

#10 Dec 27, 2008
I hate to break it to you but the ambulance from another state transporting a baby happens at all hospitals regardless of the ems service in that area. Both UT and Childrens have a transport team to go out to these hospitals to pick patients up. The team is made up of RN's/Paramedics/and Respiratory Therapist.
How do I know? I worked at UT for a long time and know the protocol for transporting critical infants/children. I also did clinicals with Childrens and rode on a transport.
So regardless of how well the ems service is, they are not as specialized as the transport teams from UT and Childrens. They have highly trained pediatric/neonatal personell doing that. The next time you see the ambulance picking up a baby does it have a roo on it? If so its from UT, otherwise its the Childrens transport.

Yes Middlesboro does need ACLS but talk to the mayor about that one, hes the idiot that thinks you all don't need one. I am afraid for my family that lives in Middlesboro because they do not have paramedics, the EMT's there are great, however they cannot give the ACLS care that paramedics can.
The paramedics can put iv's in, intubate, use defibilators, give meds. So in a life/death situation I would rather a paramedic be the one picking up my family they can give on scene care.

In no way do I want to put down MFD however, they are good men and they do their job as they are supose to. Its not their fault the city does not want ACLS. If an ACLS service was started the city could send the men to school for medic training. Or bring in paramedics and put one emt and one medic per truck.
paramedics

Pineville, KY

#11 Jan 2, 2009
they are not worth a shit around bell co ems be for real there a joke the only thing they can do is run lights and sirens USELESSS.
david

Louisville, KY

#12 Jan 2, 2009
my thoughts wrote:
And why would they be at thae top of the list?
one reason is their own fire house burned at one time
tn medic 82

Cleveland, AR

#13 Jan 4, 2009
Bell co ems? HMMM let me see where to start! Just like any ambulance service out there, all it takes is one or 2 people to give a place a bad name or rep. I've known and worked around most of those guys and ladies for a long time and let me tell you most of them are awsome people, paramedics and emt's. Some times it takes a while to weed out the bad and replace them with the good and for the most part this has already happened. I understand that there was an instance where another service from an other county and state neighboring bell co had to transport a sick or injured child to a knoxville hospital from middlesboro. If we take our time and think about this for a moment wasn't the child better off? After all middlesboro er is like 6 min from harrogate and 15 min from pineville? Perhapse the family preferred them v/s bell co. Perhapse bell co had no ambulances available while the other service did. The fact is that the patient was taken care of, and was transported to his ultimate destination where he could recieve the treatment that he needed. And as for the medic's that transported him I understand they had to miss a fiew hours on christmas with their families. I dont know about them but I can't think of no better place to be on christmas than being beside and trying to help a sick or injured child. Isn't that what JESUS wants us to do anyways help one another. Not only were they helping a sick child but they were helpng another service, and their brothers and sisters in EMS. What a selfless christmas gift to give on our creators birth day!

Since: Oct 08

Morristown, TN

#14 Jan 4, 2009
tn medic 82 wrote:
Bell co ems? HMMM let me see where to start! Just like any ambulance service out there, all it takes is one or 2 people to give a place a bad name or rep. I've known and worked around most of those guys and ladies for a long time and let me tell you most of them are awsome people, paramedics and emt's. Some times it takes a while to weed out the bad and replace them with the good and for the most part this has already happened. I understand that there was an instance where another service from an other county and state neighboring bell co had to transport a sick or injured child to a knoxville hospital from middlesboro. If we take our time and think about this for a moment wasn't the child better off? After all middlesboro er is like 6 min from harrogate and 15 min from pineville? Perhapse the family preferred them v/s bell co. Perhapse bell co had no ambulances available while the other service did. The fact is that the patient was taken care of, and was transported to his ultimate destination where he could recieve the treatment that he needed. And as for the medic's that transported him I understand they had to miss a fiew hours on christmas with their families. I dont know about them but I can't think of no better place to be on christmas than being beside and trying to help a sick or injured child. Isn't that what JESUS wants us to do anyways help one another. Not only were they helping a sick child but they were helpng another service, and their brothers and sisters in EMS. What a selfless christmas gift to give on our creators birth day!
Right on.
Draeger

Cleveland, AR

#15 Jan 5, 2009
OK, Check this out. What if your child is sick. The ER doctor decides they are better off seen at a children's hospital or a Trauma center. He says the best mode of transport is by ground ambulance with a paramedic. You agree to it because it's your child and they are all you care about. The EMS agency that shows up tells you sorry about your luck but no one can ride in the ambulance with the minor child. Now your going to be a half hour or longer behind your child because you can't drive lights and sirens. Your scared, injured child will be alone in a strange place with strangers poking, tugging, yelling at and around him or her. Ladies and gentlemen this is Bell County EMS's new policy for ride alongs (parents and family). Any Bell EMS'ers want to defend this issue? How can you? I understand insurance doen't want to cover the rider, but you could at least offer a waiver. Albey, you care to comment? Why don't you have the county attorney draw up a waiver. Or is he to busy trying to bail his out after wrongfully firing someone else. My child deserves EMS transport and me there along to comfort him/her as part of the treatment process. So offer an alternative and make you EMS crews do there job and in an adequate manner. The hospitals are at your mercy as is the community and no one is happy with Bell and Middlesboro lacks the ability to provide ALS which they are happy about cause it gets them out of all the Knoxville and Lexington transports. Will there ever be an end to this in sight. I wish so bad a private service would come in and provide appropriate coverage. It's not even about quality of care now it's about quanity. Everyone knows there never been good quality of service around here, until you cross the state line. Virginia even has better care provided by unpaid volunteers than southeast Kentucky. If you don't want to do it help the rescue squad get an ambulance service started. They have the personnel, just need help with the equipment.

Since: Oct 08

Morristown, TN

#16 Jan 5, 2009
Draeger wrote:
OK, Check this out. What if your child is sick. The ER doctor decides they are better off seen at a children's hospital or a Trauma center. He says the best mode of transport is by ground ambulance with a paramedic. You agree to it because it's your child and they are all you care about. The EMS agency that shows up tells you sorry about your luck but no one can ride in the ambulance with the minor child. Now your going to be a half hour or longer behind your child because you can't drive lights and sirens. Your scared, injured child will be alone in a strange place with strangers poking, tugging, yelling at and around him or her. Ladies and gentlemen this is Bell County EMS's new policy for ride alongs (parents and family). Any Bell EMS'ers want to defend this issue? How can you? I understand insurance doen't want to cover the rider, but you could at least offer a waiver. Albey, you care to comment? Why don't you have the county attorney draw up a waiver. Or is he to busy trying to bail his out after wrongfully firing someone else. My child deserves EMS transport and me there along to comfort him/her as part of the treatment process. So offer an alternative and make you EMS crews do there job and in an adequate manner. The hospitals are at your mercy as is the community and no one is happy with Bell and Middlesboro lacks the ability to provide ALS which they are happy about cause it gets them out of all the Knoxville and Lexington transports. Will there ever be an end to this in sight. I wish so bad a private service would come in and provide appropriate coverage. It's not even about quality of care now it's about quanity. Everyone knows there never been good quality of service around here, until you cross the state line. Virginia even has better care provided by unpaid volunteers than southeast Kentucky. If you don't want to do it help the rescue squad get an ambulance service started. They have the personnel, just need help with the equipment.
Private EMS is not always the best answer, trust me, I've worked for private for profit and non-profit EMS before and they can be just as bad if not worst than a county run service. The problem is the quality of the people hired. Trouble is they are turning out EMT and medics now like a puppy mill. When I was in school you had to have worked as an EMT for a year or 2 full time and interview before you could get into medic school, now a green EMT can get right into medic school with no experience and after they pass the medic NR test, they are sometimes turned loose on a truck with no probationary period. Private EMS (one in Knoxville that shall remain nameless) is notorious about hiring um.. for lack of a better term... Stupid People. I've seen people hired with known histories at other services. Alot of seasoned medics that know the job and can do it well are moving on in the field. EMS is very stressful as you know so the life of a medic is not very long before burn out. Now i am not saying ALL green EMTs and MEDICS are bad, some come out of school knowing what they are doing and do it well, but a mass growing majority scare me. I think that the training for EMT should be more strict with more clinical hours. After they get out of school they should have worked for 2 years full time before going on to medic school.
FACT

Pineville, KY

#17 Jan 5, 2009
Draeger you need to get all your info before you start making accusations. FYI there are exceptions for a parent to ride with a child being transported by Bell EMS.
WHAT

Miami, FL

#18 Jan 5, 2009
david wrote:
<quoted text> one reason is their own fire house burned at one time
LMAO
idiots

Tellico Plains, TN

#19 Jan 6, 2009
If the people of Middlesboro and Bell County wanted a good paramedic service all they would have to do is gather up and protest it to the city council. Enough taxpayers ticked off will make the voted in people have to bend.

Yes parents have to be w/ their children on the back of the ambulance, even lifestar makes exceptions in the helicoptor for parents.
They are the ones that say yes and no to the medical care for the kids.
Whatever two

United States

#20 Jan 6, 2009
most of these people griping about quality of care......not taking runs....poor management.....is all ex-employees of Bell county EMS. Come on......Why dont you all grow up and shut up about this. The person who said the rescue squad could take over, I am sure you are on the rescue squad, AND an ex-employee of Bell Co. EMS. Get on with your own life, and leave everyone else alone. It takes a very childish person to get on here and talk about everyone else and not put your name to it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middlesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rid Martin, Rid Problems 3 min parent 19
New Bell County Tax Bill 4 min KY sounds good to me 13
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 36 min Mickey402 156,471
mhs 1 hr Keep Crying 2
System Suckers 3 hr Economically uns... 22
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 3 hr Harry 753
Brian o Brian 4 hr Puke is my Vote 2 29

Middlesboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Middlesboro Mortgages