First Prev
of 2
Next Last
luvshotlegs

Macon, GA

#1 Feb 16, 2009
I have lived and worked in Middlesboro all of my life, my family is from here. I am over a half century old. i am telling you this because I want you to know I am a local thru and thru. I know many Many people from here and am friends with and related to many more . I have few enemies and have no hate agenda against any of you. Have you ever noticed that the areas around Middlesboro are growing and propering? Even Barbourville and Tazewell. We seem stuck in a rut that perpetuates itself and never ends. Any business that prospers is check advancers, pawn shops, bingo parlors and other businesses that the outside world holds in low esteem. Drugs are rampant and have destroyed and continue to destroy our people yet they keep seeking drugs as entertainment. A great portion of our population does not recieve or even attempt an education, destined to work at walmart or other discount stores or fast food. Many others are on government checks and seem satisfied with it. Is it just that we want no better for ourselves and families or maybe feel we dont deserve better? Even after all these years of living here I keep thinking Middlesboro will rise above the ignorance and apathy and grow and prosper, but I am beginning to wonder. Any thoughts, reflections or hope?
drugs

United States

#2 Feb 16, 2009
drugs are the problem. people on drugs have no dreams or ambitions. all they worry about is where the next high will come from. get rid of drugs, and you have all kinds of posabilities.
luvshotlegs

Macon, GA

#3 Feb 16, 2009
I agree.
Just Someone

United States

#4 Feb 16, 2009
Excuse me luvshotlegs, I am not starting a fight with you and I am not defending the durg traffic, you sound as if you know the answer to my question, I have wondered for a long time has Middlesboro always been as bad as it is now. you are right seems we are left behind. when all the coal mines went seems everything else went to. I know there still a couple of coal mines left in our area but there use to be more if I remember correctly. I am glad you brought this subject up, I would like to know more.Thanks
sassy

Nicholasville, KY

#5 Feb 16, 2009
i moved from middlesboro because of the drugs, and yes it use to be a great place to live and raise your family. i know some drugs have always been around, but they have taken over, name 10 people and 9 of them are hooked on drugs
luvshotlegs

Macon, GA

#6 Feb 16, 2009
you know Just Someone it would be great to havr one of hese forums that was moderated so that folks could discuss issues without the ignorant trash talk that makes you start your post "Excuse me luvshotlegs, I am not starting a fight with you and I am not defending the durg traffic"
it is a shame that you feel you must say that to make the good point that you did. unmonitored posts are dangerous in a lot of ways. Thank you for reponding. I am afraid who hates who and all that trash is what folks are interested in, not the community where they live.
Just Someone

United States

#7 Feb 16, 2009
If our community would pull together and our officails would fight for more jobs be brought to our area maybe more people would not be on food stamps, and don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with food stamps. If someone looses a job and has no other way to feed their kids till they find another job then thats ok,but to just sit and wait then thats not ok and drugs are not okay either, but back to the real subject what happened to Middlesboro it seems everyone just left us behind and with no jobs and factories and the coal mines gone seems we are in trouble. and luvshotlegs you are right these topixs can be down right dangerous to so many and as far as I can see the one's that don't care are the only safe one's. I don't mind telling you some of these topix scare the daylights out of me.
Two Cents

United States

#8 Feb 16, 2009
The Middlesboro School district used to be a "shining star" in southeastern Ky. We excelled in academics, music, forensics, and sports. I don't know what it's like now. luvshotlegs, do you remember Miss Hall and Miss Demarcus? What wonderful teachers they were! I graduated in the early '70's and left a couple of years later to work, and then raised my family in another state. Back then, there were jobs available for anyone who wanted to work. I remember TennFlake, the tannery, the garment factory, several coal mines ... I know there was another factory behind where Pizza Hut is now. Back then there was a nice downtown area with actual SHOPS - Montgomery Ward, Verrans, TH Campbells (shoes), AD Campbells, Penney's. We had a beautiful old theater downtown (as well as a somewhat seedy drive-in). Anybody on here remember lunch at Lee's drugstore and cherry cokes at Woolworth's?

But Middlesboro was always a hotbed of corruption (at least in my memory). Drugs weren't the big problem back then, although amphetmines were around. Every neighborhood seemed to have a bootlegger and alcohol was a huge problem. They'd get busted once in a blue moon but other than that they were allowed to do business. Sadly, they didn't care who they sold to (no ID checks back then) and I knew boys in junior high who would buy booze. There is one of the MHS yearbooks ('68 through '71) that actually has a photo of one of the school dances and there's a table covered in beer cans with teenagers sitting around it. Unbelievable, isn't it? Adults pretty much turned a blind eye to the UA drinking back then. Other than going to the movies or the occasional dance there was very little for the youth of Middlesboro to do. From what I read on Topix, that hasn't changed. It breaks my heart to see what my hometown has become. Seems like Middlesboro is devolving.
luvshotlegs

Macon, GA

#9 Feb 16, 2009
I do indeed remember those teachers, the Middlesboro of those days is sadly long gone. Things change, but not always for the better. Middlesboros problems are not reserved just for this town, drugs are a scourge everywhere, as is a sense of entitlement...that the government owes you a living. I want to be optimistic but it is hard to see any growth here. Imagine what any company would think about locating here especially if they looked on sites such as this? What would you think? Would you onvest heavily in this place or run like the wind to get away from it? Lack of education, dependence on government checks, general ignorance, drugs and downright apathy have brought us to the brink. I honestly think without the Lords intervention Middlesboro is down the tubes.
dreamingnky

Dyer, TN

#10 Feb 16, 2009
First and foremost Middlesboro at one time was a pooming town with grand hotels that had doormen and all ofthe luxuries . I to remember the downtown stores that are no longer there and probably will never return to the downtown area unless things change around here. As for the sale of alcoholic beverages it seems that in every surrounding city that is "wet" has more jobs,better chance to prosper and grow unlike our little town. I am not saying that voting this town wet would be the answer to our economic problems but what else will bring industry here?What are the chances of our younger generation to stay here and raise their families without jobs? If only we had more public involvemnet and less corruption in our system then possibly something positive may come out of it all. I for one would be willing to offer my time and skills to do what ever it may take to make changes. Maybe all of us TOPIX readers should pile up at the next city councel meeting and make suggestions or at least a little output .
Just Someone

Louisville, KY

#11 Feb 16, 2009
In deed I remember Lee's and Woolworth's, That was the good old day's,and everything that has been said in the 3 previous post are true, But it seem to me that back in those days things just didn't seem hardly as bad as it does today.I remember our town as a beautiful place to be, The holidays was so pretty with all the decorations crossing the red light lines,now all we have is those single decorations at each red light, All the stores were all decorated up but now there are no stores to decorate anymore. It is sad to see what we were once so proud of just going down the drain. We could all go to council meetings but till the people on the council decides to do something to help revitialize downtown it will do us no good, It is sad but true.
Just Someone

Louisville, KY

#12 Feb 16, 2009
And does anyone know why they have torn out our flower box'es on cumberland, What will they put there now, Someone said fountains of some sort.
freeme

Wilmore, KY

#13 Feb 17, 2009
Fountains are being put in place of the flower boxes. DDM received a grant for them.
Just Someone

Louisville, KY

#14 Feb 17, 2009
It will take more than fountains to bring middlesboro back to life.I miss downtown as it us to be when I was growing up,We should not be a ghost town now
Old timer

Macon, GA

#15 Feb 17, 2009
I can remember when Middlesboro was wet. It was boom city! Big money, lots going on, progress, etc.
Yes there was a lot of mafia here and was pretty much controlled by Alva Ball and his brother. Thats what ruined it. When they died off and voted dry, Middlesboro steadily went down hill.

I'm not saying a wet vote would be the answer but I think would certainly work wonders. I know first hand that Red lobster, Olive garden and others looked to coming in but would not because the place was dry.

It saddens me because we have the potential of becoming another Gatlinburg. We are built in a crater, Historic Cumberland Gap, which every American has heard of and the list goes on.

There will never be industry, entertainment, jobs here as long as the "powers that be" (NOT your elected officials) are in control. They fear someone coming in that is more powerful, richer, smarter to take over. It is all about control and money.
tim

Somerset, KY

#16 Feb 17, 2009
What is wrong with the city, there is nothing let here but wal-mart. We went to london,ky over the weekend . and it busy lots of stores, a lot of nice places to eat. the mayor and city councel members need to get off there rearends and do something better for middlesboro. people drive right through middlesboro going to corbin ,london lexington or even knoxville. we could have a booming town again if the mayor and councel people would help. where is all the money going ?????
Lifetimer

Mayfield, KY

#17 Feb 17, 2009
I personally feel like drugs are a result not a cause for the down fall of Middlesboro. There are a few "businessmen" who have a hold on this town and they allow NOTHING that will be competition for them to come in here. Example: Lowes Home Improvement. Too much competition for Hickmans, Browns...ect. The money flow in this town goes in 3 basic directions and that will never change because everyone is willing to look the other way when these "businessmen" start taking over. Money exchanges hands and BOOM! just like that- growth is stopped. We're limited in shopping, housing and jobs. We are forced to take our business out of Middlesboro, at no fault of our own. If we start voting differently things MAY change. What has the mayor truly done in 20+ years? Two or three good things? In 20 years????? Not just the mayor, other offices are holding us back as well. But there will be some who will reply to me saying things like Hickman has done so great and has always been nice to their family...blah blah blah. That attitude is what will continue to hold Middlesboro down. It makes me sad.
Just Someone

United States

#18 Feb 17, 2009
We need someone in here that will be agressive and fight for us we need to get these people that are running our goverment out and vote someone that will fight for us, If we don't get the people out that has ran us in the ground soon it will be to late to do anything, I have been to a few council meetings and all they ever talk about is things that will benifit them and put more money in their pockets. we need a new mayor and to be honest we need a new police department we may have a few good cops but for the most part they are in someone's pocket and look the other way. When I was growing up we had some hard nosed cops but we were better for the most part, I remember when we had our own judge and our own court room, we even had our own jail, now everything is in pineville, no wonder we are going down the tube we depend on pineville for everything. we need control of our on community again. maybe I am wrong but it wasn't wrong back WHEN so I don't think it would be wrong now. I am sure there are more people that know more than me and if there is please correct if I am wrong.I would love to hear something that would help us all.
sassy

Nicholasville, KY

#19 Feb 17, 2009
Lifetimer wrote:
I personally feel like drugs are a result not a cause for the down fall of Middlesboro. There are a few "businessmen" who have a hold on this town and they allow NOTHING that will be competition for them to come in here. Example: Lowes Home Improvement. Too much competition for Hickmans, Browns...ect. The money flow in this town goes in 3 basic directions and that will never change because everyone is willing to look the other way when these "businessmen" start taking over. Money exchanges hands and BOOM! just like that- growth is stopped. We're limited in shopping, housing and jobs. We are forced to take our business out of Middlesboro, at no fault of our own. If we start voting differently things MAY change. What has the mayor truly done in 20+ years? Two or three good things? In 20 years????? Not just the mayor, other offices are holding us back as well. But there will be some who will reply to me saying things like Hickman has done so great and has always been nice to their family...blah blah blah. That attitude is what will continue to hold Middlesboro down. It makes me sad.
i don't know if the drugs are the cause or result, i do know what business are there is where you go to get drugs. i do know people don't care about the town any more, yes drugs have always been there, but the drugs that are there now are worse than the drugs from way back. and going wet will not help, its not like you have to drive that far now as it is. it will not bring that many more jobs and the crime rate will go up because drugies will be robbing the beer stores, i mean they are smart enough to figure out that there is more money in a store when they are selling beer. so what is there left to do, middlesboro has the funds to clean up the drugs, but they have to clean up the goverment offices first, than the town. i believe with all my heart that middlesboro could be a nice place to live in again
Two Cents

United States

#20 Feb 17, 2009
I didn't live here in the 80's, but didn't Middlesboro get a "new" police department & chief courtesy of the feds?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middlesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 5 min JustJoe 177,507
Tgirls Sissy's and Crossdressers (Nov '16) 1 hr Mike 21
Any women wanna party NOW and get put on their ... 4 hr Sorry 5
Trump is Pathetic 5 hr Gas News 57
sissy guys 10 hr Give it to me 5
bbc 10 hr Give it to me 20
cassandra carter , linda helton & rrbecca wyatt (May '14) 17 hr Angela 13

Middlesboro Jobs

Personal Finance

Middlesboro Mortgages