Gayantichrist

Point Pleasant, WV

#21 Jan 12, 2012
Then 1 very good simple question? Why is everything HIGHER in Meigs County then the surrounding closer Counties. Gas Gallia County Gallipolis $3.29 vs Pomeroy Meigs County at $3.59. Same service station. The list can go on.
why not

United States

#22 Jan 12, 2012
why should we support POWELL'S when you deal with!!! hamburger thats all brown in the middle, higher prices then any place around, dirty floors, produce that we have to trash after 2 days, deli ham or turkey that turns slimmy after a day or two, the smell from the meat dept just like the old POWELL store had, workers in the deli who are to busy talking to each other to wate on you, punk kids cashiers that act like you are an annoyance to them, and if the girls cracked a smile their face would shatter, dont get me wrong they are beautiful girls thats one of the pluses for the store just would like to see a smile from them one time. a parking lote with trash every where, and buying a can of soup getting it home to find a sale by date 6 months past due, they refuse to help local pantrys they would rather put good food in the trash then give it to the pantry. yes we should support POWELL'S and local business!!!

Since: Sep 11

Crownhill

#23 Jan 12, 2012
meigs count is one of the poorest counties in ohio maybe they should have left the pot growers alone there was a good revenue for meigs lets grow some more meigs count green that hit high times years ago and lets see how much moola you have in your county i would come over and buy some and spend money at your gas stations feeling up on gas and munchies for the ride home just saying

Since: Nov 11

Point Pleasant, WV

#24 Jan 13, 2012
Gayantichrist wrote:
Then 1 very good simple question? Why is everything HIGHER in Meigs County then the surrounding closer Counties. Gas Gallia County Gallipolis $3.29 vs Pomeroy Meigs County at $3.59. Same service station. The list can go on.
Because they support their local businesses and there are more of them. Competition is a good thing. Less business equals higher margins. A business here versus one there probably has the same (or close) costs to operate. If you need 5.00 to make profit it can either come 50 x 10 cents or 25 x 20 cents. Either way you have to get there.

I personally don't care where people buy. My only points are that when you go out of county, so does you tax dollars which hurts here. And also, that the Powell's aren't ripping people off by doing what they need to do to stay in business.

Also, if you aren't happy with their products (meat etc.), take it back and talk to them. They will make it right and get better as a business because you did. Isn't that really all we can ask?
what an idea

Newark, OH

#25 Jan 13, 2012
save money wrote:
i had a guy tell me it cost me more to drive to lancaster then i save on grocerys -WRONG-. in food i save $70 to $80 i drive a older car and pull a trailer behind and only cost me $17 in gas to go there and back. but i dont know why but dont get gas at the beacon i got 1/2 a tank of gas went to logan looked down it took 1/4 tank of gas to just get there. when i got to lancaster i was just above E i can go to any other place's like taz's and a 1/2 tank of gas will take me to lancaster and back to pomeroy and still have a little gas left. now i do go to walmart and powell's only for things when i runout of eggs, milk, bread, i make the trip to lancaster a all day shopping spree i hit about 6-7 thrift stores then get the grocerys and head back. the thrift stores are not like ours they are so much cheeper then here one place the coats are $1ea clothing is .50ea.
Can you tell me where these thrift stores are located please. Have you ever been to any in Columbus?
wise guy

Gallipolis, OH

#26 Jan 13, 2012
FOLKS WAKE UP DONT YOU REALIZE THAT POWELLS IS NOT THE POWELLS WE USED TO KNOW. FOOD FAIR IS THE WALMART OF THE FOOD INDUSTRY. EVERY KROGER STORE THAT WAS CLOSED, THESE CORPORATE PARASITES MOVED INTO CLOSING DOWN SMALL TOWN MOM AND POP GROCERIES BUYING THEIR NAME SO TO ATTRACT CUSTOMERS. TRUTH BE KNOWN, FOOD FAIR IS THE NON UNION SUBSIDIARY OF KROGER
save money

United States

#27 Jan 14, 2012
what an idea wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you tell me where these thrift stores are located please. Have you ever been to any in Columbus?
logan has one we like take the first logan exit turn right off exit go to light turn left 3/4 of a mile on left side of road only open on wedsday and friday 9am to 430pm friday is food pantry day but store is open clothing is .50 coats $1 nice stuff large clear sacks of clothing by frount door is free.
the other place is salvation army in lancaster wedsday is 50% off everything but furniture sometimes even that too be there at 9am if you want a shopping cart. also goodwill in logan in the hocking mall is great all others you can google thrift stores for each town the fairfild outlet big place is left of carnivil foods. as for Columbus too many to even try to see in one day going to start by picking one a month to visit
Get your facts straight

Point Pleasant, WV

#28 Jan 15, 2012
majorityruleisourway wrote:
They have to make profit to survive as a business. It's a fine line to carry the type of inventory/variety people want, pay employees a decent wage, grow a business and also make a profit. Walmart can do it by using their volume to bully suppliers. Most smaller businesses can't do that.
Whether you like Powell's or not, you should support them as they strive to provide a service to our community and keep a business in operation. Driving somewhere else to save a few bucks is a "win the battle- lose the war" scenario.
You already dislike Walmart or you would simply go there. Not supporting Powell's will eventually cost our town another business and it's associated tax revenue to the community.
People in Middleport didn't support Hometown market and lost the convenience of having a local grocery.
Our community may be poorer than some however we do still have money to spend. Every dime that goes outside of our community does a little damage to the overall community. The tax base we lose giving it to Athens, Lancaster, Parkersburg and Gallipolis makes it tougher to keep thing going locally. It affects law enforcement and their ability to investigate crime instead or just responding to accidents, it affects road repair, parks and recreation, community development, jobs, wages, ect.
Take pride in what we have here, remember what is was,(when we had tons of businesses) and know that we are doing it to yourselves.
Regarding "people in Middleport"...I am one of those people in Middleport, and I supported Hometown Market until there was nothing left on the shelves to buy anymore. I have also done all my banking at People's Bank, for all the good that has done. I admit I don't shop much at Powell's because of the prices. I do however patronize Family Dollar and Save A Lot on a regular basis... guess we'll see how long that lasts. While I agree with much of what you stated, I don't like being lumped into a group and blamed for the downfall of our businesses here. It is a sad situation for those of us who work for a living, enjoy the small town atmosphere, strive at making our property and home appealing and not an eyesore, only to feel helpless and watch the community fall apart at the seams despite our efforts.
truth is

United States

#29 Jan 15, 2012
Hometwon Market failed because owners didnt pay their bills how many times did everyone go in for over a year and find nothing on the shelved and had to go elcewhere to get anything. like so many other business's around meigs it was poor managment people not paying their bills. and the owner of the old store wants $3500.00 a month rent for that builing why not blame that owner for there not being occupied just wate in 5 or 10 years they will leval it and we will have just another vacant lot in middleport. also dont blame WALMART look what it has done for MASON its growing we didnt want it over here who's to blame for that?
what an idea

Sheridan, AR

#30 Jan 15, 2012
save money wrote:
<quoted text>logan has one we like take the first logan exit turn right off exit go to light turn left 3/4 of a mile on left side of road only open on wedsday and friday 9am to 430pm friday is food pantry day but store is open clothing is .50 coats $1 nice stuff large clear sacks of clothing by frount door is free.
the other place is salvation army in lancaster wedsday is 50% off everything but furniture sometimes even that too be there at 9am if you want a shopping cart. also goodwill in logan in the hocking mall is great all others you can google thrift stores for each town the fairfild outlet big place is left of carnivil foods. as for Columbus too many to even try to see in one day going to start by picking one a month to visit
Thank you for your response! I appreciate it and have to check them out!!
ihearya

Point Pleasant, WV

#31 Jan 15, 2012
why not wrote:
why should we support POWELL'S when you deal with!!! hamburger thats all brown in the middle, higher prices then any place around, dirty floors, produce that we have to trash after 2 days, deli ham or turkey that turns slimmy after a day or two, the smell from the meat dept just like the old POWELL store had, workers in the deli who are to busy talking to each other to wate on you, punk kids cashiers that act like you are an annoyance to them, and if the girls cracked a smile their face would shatter, dont get me wrong they are beautiful girls thats one of the pluses for the store just would like to see a smile from them one time. a parking lote with trash every where, and buying a can of soup getting it home to find a sale by date 6 months past due, they refuse to help local pantrys they would rather put good food in the trash then give it to the pantry. yes we should support POWELL'S and local business!!!
The truest comment on this thread!!! Ive experienced everything said.

Since: Nov 11

Vienna, WV

#32 Jan 19, 2012
Get your facts straight wrote:
<quoted text>
Regarding "people in Middleport"...I am one of those people in Middleport, and I supported Hometown Market until there was nothing left on the shelves to buy anymore. I have also done all my banking at People's Bank, for all the good that has done. I admit I don't shop much at Powell's because of the prices. I do however patronize Family Dollar and Save A Lot on a regular basis... guess we'll see how long that lasts. While I agree with much of what you stated, I don't like being lumped into a group and blamed for the downfall of our businesses here. It is a sad situation for those of us who work for a living, enjoy the small town atmosphere, strive at making our property and home appealing and not an eyesore, only to feel helpless and watch the community fall apart at the seams despite our efforts.
I apologize for the perceived lumping. Nothing personal. I meant the community as a whole.
ha ha

Point Pleasant, WV

#33 Feb 10, 2012
They don't treat their employees as good as you think. Do you ever wonder why all the older people who worked up front are no longer there, the ones who were loyal to Larry and Jean. They were always on time worked hard the whole time they were on the clock. They actually talked to the customers and didn't text their friends or boyfriends while on the clock, and they actually dressed appropriatly for the job. I guess they weren't young enough or attractive enough for the night manager. I have heard that a lot of people have stopped going there because of there help.
The next time you see one of the exemployees ask them how many raises they got while they were there. It's really sad when they can't show there employees they are appreciated.
middleport man

United States

#34 Feb 11, 2012
Them sluts and bitches are why i go to wallmart they act so RUDE to everyone at checkout! To hell with Powell's they need to close with the way they do people. I wont miss the place all them girls need fired.
Middleport Old Timer

Point Pleasant, WV

#35 Feb 12, 2012
Pre-packaged not Powells Pork Tenderloin $9.99 per pound. Aldi's pre-packaged Pork Tenderloin $2.99 per pound. The $7.00 that I saved on 1 item will by the gas back to Aldi's. Powells do have some good sales once in awhile. But, in between sales that is the time to watch out for. Wal-Mart paper goods only and dog food.
wsdf

Syracuse, OH

#36 Feb 12, 2012
Well hell the Kelly girl is having an affair with the Warth guy, I heard somebody ask him is he was hitting that and he smiled and said "hell yeah" isn't she married.
I noticed when she disappears upstair he's right behind her and watches her ass till she walk out of site . He could atleast not make it so obvious
overcharged

Point Pleasant, WV

#37 May 28, 2012
grocery guy wrote:
The prices are getting way too high and out of hand EVERYWHERE....go ahead and spend $3.48 a gallon and drive to Athens and save BIG, BIG, BIG
when u are going to get several or several things it may be worth the trip. i also dont like to be overcharged. it would be worth the drive for me. some of the employees there are very rude
Neighbor

Saltsburg, PA

#38 Jun 6, 2012
Keep shopping and taking your money out of town, before long that will be your ONLY option.
curious

Huntington, WV

#39 Sep 10, 2012
wsdf wrote:
Well hell the Kelly girl is having an affair with the Warth guy, I heard somebody ask him is he was hitting that and he smiled and said "hell yeah" isn't she married.
I noticed when she disappears upstair he's right behind her and watches her ass till she walk out of site . He could atleast not make it so obvious
Is that Kelly Barnette? From Rutland ?
Gween

Logan, OH

#40 Apr 5, 2014
The store is dirty workers on phones meats and deli is old.
needs to be cleaned up.
need a store to treat people right.
no wonder people goes to walmart it is clean.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middleport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Marcy Craig & Gas station Robberies (Jul '12) 57 min Get it right 16
Racine Southern Football Coaching 3 hr Hii 4
Motorcycles (Apr '11) 10 hr Twitterbug 34
Scottie's New & Used Drug Den 14 hr Danny ex 8
pomeroy cop a creep (Aug '13) Thu truth 46
Meigs Fort Oct 22 miranda 4
dead beat dad thread?? Oct 21 A friend 34
Middleport Dating
Find my Match

Middleport Jobs