Powells FoodFair
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Canyouhearmenow

Gallipolis, OH

#1 Jan 9, 2012
Is it me or is Powells getting ridiculous on pricing? 5 Lb of sugar $3.39 vs Sal $2.29. Thats the cheap brands too. I have done a lot of grocery shopping at Powells. But recently I have backed off quite a bit. It seems like everytime I go in there the prices keep going way up! I know things has went up but,not that high. Pork tenderloin $9.99 a pound. Hate to burst Powells bubble but, were not in New York City. I noticed that they got rid of that odor around the meat cases. Wonder what it was? I only go there for the sale items only anymore. Has anyone have comments on this?
Anon

Herndon, VA

#2 Jan 9, 2012
Canyouhearmenow wrote:
Is it me or is Powells getting ridiculous on pricing? 5 Lb of sugar $3.39 vs Sal $2.29. Thats the cheap brands too. I have done a lot of grocery shopping at Powells. But recently I have backed off quite a bit. It seems like everytime I go in there the prices keep going way up! I know things has went up but,not that high. Pork tenderloin $9.99 a pound. Hate to burst Powells bubble but, were not in New York City. I noticed that they got rid of that odor around the meat cases. Wonder what it was? I only go there for the sale items only anymore. Has anyone have comments on this?
Yes, Powell's is toooo high. They are even higher than Kroger in Athens. I go to Kroger to get some things. They have alot of good deals on meats. Buy one get one free.
concerned

Littleton, WV

#3 Jan 9, 2012
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, Powell's is toooo high. They are even higher than Kroger in Athens. I go to Kroger to get some things. They have alot of good deals on meats. Buy one get one free.
I only buy sale stuff at Powells too...you need to check your sizes too because while the sugar is cheaper at Save A Lot, it is only a 4 lb bag...I just bought a bag there over the weekend and noticed that....I agree that Powells is higher, but just be careful what you buy...Kroger in Athens is AWESOME!!!
doggies

United States

#4 Jan 9, 2012
i have been going to lancaster for a year now for all my grosries once a month i save $70 to $80 by doing this i get name brands i go to miejers and carnival foods you can look them up on the internet to see there flyers. carnival this week has 24 case niagra bottled water for.99 with coupon 2 dozen eggs for $1 and most of the time hamburger is $1.98 lb this week its $2.29 and guess what its not brown in the middle like powell's is. a 12 pac buns $1 thats at carnival at miejers not this week but when they have there 10 for 10 deals the 11th item is free last week i got 3lb carrits for $1 their milk is 2 for $5 and it is double sealed. in november they had a deal you buy 1 spiral cut ham for $2.49lb you got 1 10-14lb turkey 2 stuffing 2 broth 3lb idaho potatos 1 cranbery sause and 1 other item i cant remember what all free. TRY TO DO THAT ANYWHERE DOWN HERE! and the shelf life is much longer then down here.
Anon

United States

#5 Jan 9, 2012
doggies wrote:
i have been going to lancaster for a year now for all my grosries once a month i save $70 to $80 by doing this i get name brands i go to miejers and carnival foods you can look them up on the internet to see there flyers. carnival this week has 24 case niagra bottled water for.99 with coupon 2 dozen eggs for $1 and most of the time hamburger is $1.98 lb this week its $2.29 and guess what its not brown in the middle like powell's is. a 12 pac buns $1 thats at carnival at miejers not this week but when they have there 10 for 10 deals the 11th item is free last week i got 3lb carrits for $1 their milk is 2 for $5 and it is double sealed. in november they had a deal you buy 1 spiral cut ham for $2.49lb you got 1 10-14lb turkey 2 stuffing 2 broth 3lb idaho potatos 1 cranbery sause and 1 other item i cant remember what all free. TRY TO DO THAT ANYWHERE DOWN HERE! and the shelf life is much longer then down here.
Thanks for the info. Will check out Miejers & Carnival sale ads.
Provider

United States

#6 Jan 10, 2012
I always thought Powell's was expensive when I lived in Meigs county. I often drove to Athens to do my grocery shopping at Kroger. I don't like the meat from Walmart so I usually avoid it. I wish we had better grocery store choices. Powell's is nice though to have when you need something quickly. They tend to treat their employees pretty good too. I'm just happy someone took over the Kroger building after they left so we didn't have another empty eye sore in our town.
grocery guy

Point Pleasant, WV

#7 Jan 10, 2012
The prices are getting way too high and out of hand EVERYWHERE....go ahead and spend $3.48 a gallon and drive to Athens and save BIG, BIG, BIG
concerned

Littleton, WV

#8 Jan 10, 2012
grocery guy wrote:
The prices are getting way too high and out of hand EVERYWHERE....go ahead and spend $3.48 a gallon and drive to Athens and save BIG, BIG, BIG
So true....
save money

United States

#9 Jan 11, 2012
i had a guy tell me it cost me more to drive to lancaster then i save on grocerys -WRONG-. in food i save $70 to $80 i drive a older car and pull a trailer behind and only cost me $17 in gas to go there and back. but i dont know why but dont get gas at the beacon i got 1/2 a tank of gas went to logan looked down it took 1/4 tank of gas to just get there. when i got to lancaster i was just above E i can go to any other place's like taz's and a 1/2 tank of gas will take me to lancaster and back to pomeroy and still have a little gas left. now i do go to walmart and powell's only for things when i runout of eggs, milk, bread, i make the trip to lancaster a all day shopping spree i hit about 6-7 thrift stores then get the grocerys and head back. the thrift stores are not like ours they are so much cheeper then here one place the coats are $1ea clothing is .50ea.
smart

Point Pleasant, WV

#10 Jan 11, 2012
if you spend a lot and dont mind using up a lot of time traveling, you probably do save some money. But, remember...."Time is Money"

Since: Nov 11

Chicago, IL

#11 Jan 11, 2012
They have to make profit to survive as a business. It's a fine line to carry the type of inventory/variety people want, pay employees a decent wage, grow a business and also make a profit. Walmart can do it by using their volume to bully suppliers. Most smaller businesses can't do that.

Whether you like Powell's or not, you should support them as they strive to provide a service to our community and keep a business in operation. Driving somewhere else to save a few bucks is a "win the battle- lose the war" scenario.

You already dislike Walmart or you would simply go there. Not supporting Powell's will eventually cost our town another business and it's associated tax revenue to the community.

People in Middleport didn't support Hometown market and lost the convenience of having a local grocery.

Our community may be poorer than some however we do still have money to spend. Every dime that goes outside of our community does a little damage to the overall community. The tax base we lose giving it to Athens, Lancaster, Parkersburg and Gallipolis makes it tougher to keep thing going locally. It affects law enforcement and their ability to investigate crime instead or just responding to accidents, it affects road repair, parks and recreation, community development, jobs, wages, ect.

Take pride in what we have here, remember what is was,(when we had tons of businesses) and know that we are doing it to ourselves.
Canyouhearmenow

Gallipolis, OH

#12 Jan 11, 2012
majorityruleisourway wrote:
They have to make profit to survive as a business. It's a fine line to carry the type of inventory/variety people want, pay employees a decent wage, grow a business and also make a profit. Walmart can do it by using their volume to bully suppliers. Most smaller businesses can't do that.
Whether you like Powell's or not, you should support them as they strive to provide a service to our community and keep a business in operation. Driving somewhere else to save a few bucks is a "win the battle- lose the war" scenario.
You already dislike Walmart or you would simply go there. Not supporting Powell's will eventually cost our town another business and it's associated tax revenue to the community.
People in Middleport didn't support Hometown market and lost the convenience of having a local grocery.
Our community may be poorer than some however we do still have money to spend. Every dime that goes outside of our community does a little damage to the overall community. The tax base we lose giving it to Athens, Lancaster, Parkersburg and Gallipolis makes it tougher to keep thing going locally. It affects law enforcement and their ability to investigate crime instead or just responding to accidents, it affects road repair, parks and recreation, community development, jobs, wages, ect.
Take pride in what we have here, remember what is was,(when we had tons of businesses) and know that we are doing it to ourselves.
I agree on cost of keeping everthing going. But, reality is Powells is $1.10 higher on the off brand sugar then SAL. Powells $9.99 per pound for pork tenderloin now that is hilarious. The only people driving businesses out of this area is Village Council and the Wanna a Be Mayor. Just wondering which Powell is behind on the house payment due to the high cost of their food.

Since: Nov 11

Chicago, IL

#13 Jan 11, 2012
Geez, that's quite a bit of pent up anger you have there. Lol

It doesn't sound like you bare satisfied with much of anything and full of assumptions and baseless accusations.

1. You, as a consumer are free to choose where you spend your money. I would recommend that you compare price, quality and service and make the best decision for you. SAL is a good option that still keeps revenue in the community. Go there.

2. I've known the Powell's for a long time. They're honest, loyal and hard working. They support our communities, schools and churches with their profits and marketing dollars. Don't be jealous of their success. They work for their money and you can go into their store and talk to them yourself if you have a concern or question.

3. Back up your statements about businesses being driven away by village council or the mayor. Who left or didn't come here because of them? Business people generally don't think like that. If they see opportunity they open. If they don't they don't. What specific policy or person that is unique to Pomeroy do you think is driving away business?
save money

United States

#14 Jan 11, 2012
Business here run them self out! i dont have alot of money to support local business after paying rent and utilitys trying to make it by buying milk for$3.66gl bread for $2.35lf hamburger $3.25lb im not going hungury just to support powell's or wal*mart. high prices is not the only problem its workers who treat you like shit you think we should support local business then lower theyer prices to support us look around at all the food pantrys that are down here because of the need to help people here supplies and food come from columbus lancaster logan and athens not from powell or mason wal*mart. i guess the pantry's are cutting into local business maybe we should run them out of town. if i can save money buy driving to columbus ill do it im not going to pay double for less like $3.59 for 4lb off brand surger when i can get name brand 5lb for $2.35 to hell with local business's!!!also the workers in lancaster are so nice you can ask for something and they bend over backwards for you a diffrence like night and day.

Since: Nov 11

United States

#15 Jan 11, 2012
The grass is always greener..........

God bless. Be safe.
lincoln hill

United States

#16 Jan 11, 2012
Hay save money when you going next i seen their adds wow 24 water 99 cents im going dont know where in LANCASTER im going can you tell me how to find CarnivalFoods and meijers or i would like to tagalong next time you go?
save money

United States

#17 Jan 11, 2012
its easy take business rout hold to left lane in town look for roots restrant on rigth look left from that thats carnival and meijer is north of town on rigth cant miss it. im going next month i hit thrift stores on the way up unless you like them it take me along time to get to meijer.
grocery guy

Point Pleasant, WV

#18 Jan 11, 2012
Well, guess that I need an older car with a trailer behind it and I can head off to Lancaster......lets see, hmmmmm sugar is cheaper at Walmart, hmmmm walmart sells 4 pound bags disguised as 5 pound bags, (this is true, go check for yourself),,,hmmmm I wonder what else is disguised......hmmmmm gas is now $3.49 gallon...hmmmm I probably will just keep going to Powells, and besides, my car doesnt have a trailer hitch. hmmm
save money

United States

#19 Jan 12, 2012
hmmmmm gas is $3.49 thats in town only taz's is $3.39 and for 4 weeks that the gas was $3.29 to $3.39 in town taz's price stayed at $3.18 hmmmmmmm "why"??
i see more and more people i know from Meigs in stores in Gallia and Athens county's it is bad that so many people go out of town to shop but what does Meigs have to offer. everyone is trying to save in anyway they can going out of town is just one way they can. like i said if i can save more money by driving to Columbus ill do it.

Since: Nov 11

Chicago, IL

#20 Jan 12, 2012
You can save even more by raising your own cattle and picking your own veggies.

When you car breaks down, take it to Cleveland. They can fix it up there for 30 bucks less. All the while, live here in Meigs and complain about the schools, police protection and a dollar on sugar. Gas may be 3.09 in Toledo, probably ought to drive up and get some. Take a can and get extra too.

The point is, that when you think you're saving a buck, you really aren't. You're just trading one thing for another. As the community crumbles, stock upon Lancaster sugar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middleport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Meigs County Sheriff's Sergeant under investiga... 2 hr Nojailthisyearwood 1
Tiffanie Durham Stewart 22 hr Gun club 1
Natasha tackett Sat Luck guy 4
hmm Sep 22 Poorppl 20
Mike Bailey Sep 21 Middleport man 4
kelli Taterson (Feb '17) Sep 20 740brother 22
No to Woods over priced jail Sep 20 country 10

Middleport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Middleport Mortgages