Akron's water supply shrinking

Akron's water supply shrinking

There are 46 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Jul 18, 2007, titled Akron's water supply shrinking. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

At the city of Akron's East Branch Reservoir in Geauga County, the dominant colors are green and brown.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
john

Mansfield, OH

#1 Jul 18, 2007
thats great
Zadok

Stow, OH

#2 Jul 18, 2007
Pray to the Creator of the universe for rain. Maybe He will ignore the marketing campaign to turn Akron into Sodom and provide rain anyway.
OldManGrump

Canton, OH

#3 Jul 18, 2007
Conserve water by:

Eliminate lawn watering and car washing,
Drink soda or bottled water,
Take short showers and not baths every othwer day,
Wash dishes only when your dishwasher is full and use a shorter cycle, etc. etc. etc.

The rain will return at some point in time to fill the lakes.

Alcoholic Mayor Don P - why don't you issue an executive order for the above? Are you too drunk today to do your job?

Joe Finley in 2007 !!!!!!!!!!

“At least I'm housebroken.”

Since: Jun 07

Canton, OH

#4 Jul 18, 2007
Hey, it is a free market, so as long as you are paying for water, you should be able to do with it as you please.
a dog

Hartville, OH

#5 Jul 18, 2007
one good thing, all the construction in the area
should be ahead of schedule, very little rain
days
Maggie from Moggie

Tulsa, OK

#6 Jul 18, 2007
Let's get realistic. When we disurb the water system that our creator has already provided, systems such as streams and wetlands, it has an impact on the amount of water that is available, as well as the quality.

Canton, OH

#7 Jul 18, 2007
Maggie from Moggie wrote:
Let's get realistic. When we disurb the water system that our creator has already provided, systems such as streams and wetlands, it has an impact on the amount of water that is available, as well as the quality.
"Water system our creator has already provided"...

I didn't know the Culligan man was the creator. All this time, I have been praying to the wrong guy. From now on, I am going to start all my prayers with, "Hey, Culligan man..." I guess you do learn something new every day!
takemeon

Massillon, OH

#8 Jul 18, 2007
The Big Lebowski wrote:
Hey, it is a free market, so as long as you are paying for water, you should be able to do with it as you please.
Only a wreckless swine would think that. Do your part people. You have a lineage to think about, don't be selfish and leave them with nothing but the earth in ruins. That includes everything from food, fuel and water conservation and caretaking and on and on. Civilization comes with responsibility.

Canton, OH

#9 Jul 18, 2007
takemeon wrote:
<quoted text>Only a wreckless swine would think that. Do your part people. You have a lineage to think about, don't be selfish and leave them with nothing but the earth in ruins. That includes everything from food, fuel and water conservation and caretaking and on and on. Civilization comes with responsibility.
Exactly. That is why I am watering my lawn three days a week and washing my car frequently. After all, I don't want to leave them ruins.

Since: Mar 07

Toledo, OH

#10 Jul 18, 2007
The Big Lebowski wrote:
Technically it is not a free market. If it were truly free then the price would be controlled by supply and demand. Meaning as supply dropped, prices would go up, thus decreasing demand.
WORM

Akron, OH

#11 Jul 18, 2007
LET IT RAIN ,LET IT RAIN , LET IT RAIN
Buck Stops

Akron, OH

#12 Jul 18, 2007
So the mayor IS also responsible for the drought. Did he happn to be in New Orleans on August 29th a few years ago or in New York on September 11 a few years before that?

We obviusly need a new mayor or we could all take a reality pill. Grow up people. Where's beta in all this. Can't believe he's not a climatologist too.
Duke for Mayor

Berkeley, CA

#13 Jul 18, 2007
The Big Lebowski wrote:
In Akron however, you don't always have to pay for water or sewer services. If you're a ring tailed lemur or the CEO of a steam company, you get a special dispensation from the Don that seems to releive you of that responsibility.

Woof
Hacknsack

United States

#14 Jul 18, 2007
Well lets hope the Don only drank one glass of water, and not two, washing down all them burgers...
JOHN LARSON

Arlington, VA

#16 Jul 18, 2007
SO MUCH FOR THE IDEA THAT INDUSTRY WILL COME BACK TO OHIO BECAUSE WE HAVE THE WATER!

Kent, OH

#17 Jul 18, 2007
Buck Stops wrote:
So the mayor IS also responsible for the drought. Did he happn to be in New Orleans on August 29th a few years ago or in New York on September 11 a few years before that?
We obviusly need a new mayor or we could all take a reality pill. Grow up people. Where's beta in all this. Can't believe he's not a climatologist too.
((chucklin')) Why thank y'all for thinkin' so, but alas, ol' Maxie doesn't do the weather. I look outside. Iff'n the sun is shinin', I go out, iff'n it's rainin', I use an umbrella.
Buck Stops

Akron, OH

#18 Jul 18, 2007
It rained while I was walking my dog, I should probably blame the mayor. Still waiting for ideas about the east akron proprty. how come there are no more complaints about the mayor spending all his time downtown?

Toledo, OH

#19 Jul 18, 2007
Mike Hunt wrote:
Earth 75% water...yea there isnt enough.....
<quoted text>
A majority of which is salt water and unusable for most uses.
Overtaxed Voter

Columbus, OH

#20 Jul 18, 2007
1) Does the Chardon man who kayaks 3 times a week at East Branch paying for that privilege? After all, the taxpayers of AKRON own that property, not Geauga County.

2) Did the superintendent for the Akron watershed actually admit to more poor management by the Plusquellic administration? Re-read his statement in the story...

"The city did not intend to drain East Branch so much"

Way to go Don!!! Two years ago you couldn't fix the algae problem, now you are running one of the watersheds too low.
Brian

Colleyville, TX

#21 Jul 18, 2007
Fo Shizzle wrote:
<quoted text>
A majority of which is salt water and unusable for most uses.
Salt water is not unusable. There are many systems in place to use salt water as drinking water or other purposes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middlefield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sewer (Aug '16) Aug '16 Jean Amato 1
Loss of Burton Blog (Sep '13) Sep '15 NotAFan 4
David Filla (Apr '11) Sep '15 OhioMom 2
News Johnson Rubber says it won't close (Feb '08) Apr '15 Wentworth 26
News Norbalt Rubber's parent bankrupt, seeking buyer (Apr '08) Feb '15 cashin in 3
News Johnson Rubber to go out of business (Mar '08) Jan '14 mismanaged 9
Shannon Mares (Dec '13) Dec '13 Local concerned f... 2

Middlefield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Middlefield Mortgages