Driver Cited After Crash with Buggy, ...

Driver Cited After Crash with Buggy, Drug Use Suspected

There are 160 comments on the WJW Fox 8 Cleveland story from Sep 2, 2010, titled Driver Cited After Crash with Buggy, Drug Use Suspected. In it, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland reports that:

PARKMAN TWP., Ohio -- The driver of an SUV has been cited after a collision with an Amish-buggy that hurt eight people.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Since: May 10

Cleveland, OH

#157 Sep 3, 2010
Do Amish dudes get a lot of chicks with those crazy looking beards?
SpongeBob

Cleveland, OH

#158 Sep 3, 2010
Live next to Amish wrote:
<quoted text>
Please dont take this the wrong way.. But for the most part they do have to follow the same rules as You and I do.. but they do some exceptions..look under horse-drawn vehicles on the Ohio Revised codes
Will do. Thanks for the info. And thanks for being polite about it.
SpongeBob

Cleveland, OH

#159 Sep 3, 2010
SPONGEBOB Out... PEACE!!!!
Wojo1967

Middlefield, OH

#160 Sep 3, 2010
Another druggie white trssh ho from Warren. Real nice she had her own daughter in the car as well. Time to thin the heard.
sarah

AOL

#161 Sep 3, 2010
Wow spongebob ya some amish molest there children but so do some yankee! I pray for the people in the accident. Hopefully the right person gets punished for this. Not the amish. Yes, I live next door to amish, grow up around them. No I don't like some of the stuff they do but none of my business. They will do what they want.
It Figures

Eastlake, OH

#162 Sep 3, 2010
Keep it simple, After 4 sentences I'm tuning you out!

“Not Perfect, Just Forgiven”

Bloom Where You're Planted!

#163 Sep 3, 2010
SpongeBob wrote:
<quoted text>
if that is true. Then that is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. But hey that get away with molesting kids so why would they worried about protecting them too. When it comes to the Amish. Incest is Best. And please don't even try to tell me they dont' molest their own kids. I had to do a paper on that for college. The Amish sicken me. BTW
You did a paper on child molestation in the Amish sect for school??
Why?!
Let me just say that I think abuse of children in any way is the most heinous of crimes.
But it happens everywhere, all over the world, in every culture, by every race, so I don't know why you singled out the Amish??
You seem to have a lot of anger towards the Amish...I'm just curious as to why, that's all.

Cleveland, OH

#164 Sep 3, 2010
sarah wrote:
Wow spongebob ya some amish molest there children but so do some yankee! I pray for the people in the accident. Hopefully the right person gets punished for this. Not the amish. Yes, I live next door to amish, grow up around them. No I don't like some of the stuff they do but none of my business. They will do what they want.
What kind of stuff do they do?

“Not Perfect, Just Forgiven”

Bloom Where You're Planted!

#165 Sep 3, 2010
papadork wrote:
Do Amish dudes get a lot of chicks with those crazy looking beards?
When they have those beards, they already have a wife -- that's a sign of them being married.
Doctor

Rocky River, OH

#166 Sep 3, 2010
fire guy wrote:
The accident lasted just over an hour and a half. We requested 3 medivac choppers and over 5 squads. It was critical to get the mother out of there and off to metro due to her being pregnant and deemed critical on scene. The lady of the SUV was not alone she had her daughter which was an infant. She was refusing care and transport to the hospital. After a long debate I was able to convice her husband once he arrived on the scene to have them transported to geauga. My prayers go out to the family. People need to put the phone down and slow down. This is the second MAJOR accident in a months time. Im just glad no one lost their life this time. Parkman Volunteer
HIPPA!!!!!!!!!!
jbd612

AOL

#167 Sep 3, 2010
I agree the Amish needs to take more responsibility for their own safety. A pregnant woman has no business riding in a buggy holding a child that young on her lap in a place where other vehicles are that could kill the child so easily.

I also think the Amish need to follow the same rules we all do. They need to be licensed to have a moving vehicle on the highway just like we are. There needs to be a limit on how many children under the age of 12 can be piled in one buggy. No child under the age of 15/16 should be able to be operating a moving vehicle on a major highway without license and testing.

Another thing..the Amish get a lot of breaks from not following rules the rest of us have to follow..such as voting without showing ID..cashing checks with no ID, and in stores that are open on Sundays the Amish are allowed to use religion as an excuse not to work on Sunday while the other staff of other religions cannot ask to be off for their religion.

If you want to play- PAY.
Amanda

United States

#168 Sep 3, 2010
SpongeBob wrote:
All you A-holes can insult me all you want. You are just showing what type of person you are by doing insulting me. Show me in the Ohio Revise code where it says Amish people dont have to follw the same laws I do. If you can do that I'll shut up and stop posting on this thread.
SpongeBob, safety restraints are required in a MOTORIZED vehicle. I hardly think a horse and buggy qualify.

Cleveland, OH

#169 Sep 3, 2010
jbd612 wrote:
I agree the Amish needs to take more responsibility for their own safety. A pregnant woman has no business riding in a buggy holding a child that young on her lap in a place where other vehicles are that could kill the child so easily.
I also think the Amish need to follow the same rules we all do. They need to be licensed to have a moving vehicle on the highway just like we are. There needs to be a limit on how many children under the age of 12 can be piled in one buggy. No child under the age of 15/16 should be able to be operating a moving vehicle on a major highway without license and testing.
Another thing..the Amish get a lot of breaks from not following rules the rest of us have to follow..such as voting without showing ID..cashing checks with no ID, and in stores that are open on Sundays the Amish are allowed to use religion as an excuse not to work on Sunday while the other staff of other religions cannot ask to be off for their religion.
If you want to play- PAY.
Amen.
Thiteral

Lorain, OH

#170 Sep 3, 2010
I think it's all extremely hypocritical on the part of the Amish, they want part of the roads that they don't pay for. They want safety in driving but won't use the items we invented for safety when driving. They shun technology, but love it when it can life-flight, treat, and repair those who are hurt by continuing to live in a life of ignorance.

It's a shame it all had to happen, but I feel more for the drivers than I do for the people in the buggies.

Since: Dec 09

United States

#171 Sep 3, 2010
Thiteral wrote:
I think it's all extremely hypocritical on the part of the Amish, they want part of the roads that they don't pay for. They want safety in driving but won't use the items we invented for safety when driving. They shun technology, but love it when it can life-flight, treat, and repair those who are hurt by continuing to live in a life of ignorance.
It's a shame it all had to happen, but I feel more for the drivers than I do for the people in the buggies.
No coincidence, that contrary to your feelings, the people in the buggy felt more than the lady in the car.
Catlover2010

Richfield, OH

#172 Sep 3, 2010
Of course the condition of the people invoived in the accident is the most important thing, but it is regrettable that your story did not say one word about the fate of the horse pulling the buggy. Sad as the horse's fate may have been, it is an important part of the story and should not have been ignored or overlooked.
John

Chagrin Falls, OH

#173 Sep 26, 2010
I have not read one comment that mentions the fact that the people driving the buggy lived on hosmer road right around the corner from where the accident occured. If any of you actually know that area you know hosmer crosses 88 at the bottom of the hill. I want to know why everyone assumes it was the cars fault. It is very possible that the buggy pulled out of Hosmer on to rt 88 in such a manner that the driver of the car could not stop in time. That is such a dangerous area for a slow moving buggy to enter rt 88 because of the hill. It is possible the driver of the buggy did not see a car coming and then pulled onto 88...It warms my heart to see all the comments critical of the saftey of buggies in this area. I saw one women write that some buggies are made to carry 8 people. NOT! I saw one jerk write that everyone who does not like the buggies should move, because the Amish were here longer...NOT! My family lived in this area a hundred years before a single Amish showed up. The fact is that Amish are given way to many special rights. If they want to live in America they should live by our laws. Nobody has the "right" to drive on our roads. It is a privlelige we earn and pay for. Their buggies should have to meet all the safety requirements our cars do, including crash saftey standards. It is about time people woke up! The amish are no better than anyone else
John

Chagrin Falls, OH

#174 Sep 26, 2010
Budman wrote:
So often the injuries to the buggy occupants are far more serious because of lack of protection in the vehicle. There are laws and penalties for not using car seats, seat belts and even wipers and lights when it's raining. The Amish have no protection. Most roads in that area are dark and hilly....it's so easy to come upon a buggy with little or no warning. They have to travel from place to place and have as much right to be on the road as anyone else. When driving in those areas (most have warning signs to be aware of buggy traffic) people should use a little common sense and slow down.
You just made an argument against yourself.???? All auto drivers should use extra caution but yet it is fine for the Amish to drive unsafe vehicles?? This woman auto driver is most likely going to be charged with manslaughter. How is that ok when the Amish buggy is not a safe vehicle? by that I mean if the buggy was up to the same safety standards that autos have to comply with we would not be talking about manslaughter charges because the Amish woman would have lived!!! The amish have no protection because they choose to have no protection. I dont think they should have the right not to choose protection. Because of their choice a woman is dead and now the yankee driver will be blamed. Even if you assume the accident was the auto drivers fault we should not charge her for manslaughter. We should charge the Amish for child endangering.
omg

Port Richey, FL

#175 Sep 28, 2010
Dont know about some of you people. These people get tickets just like us when they act dumb. But thats no excuse for what happen as this time. They are trying to do their best some times to coexist with there area. I was raise around them my whole life and can understand what the problem is with people who never even have held a conservation with one Amish person, Ignorance
Former Amish

Akron, OH

#176 Oct 21, 2010
7th Heaven wrote:
<quoted text>You did a paper on child molestation in the Amish sect for school??
Why?!
Let me just say that I think abuse of children in any way is the most heinous of crimes.
But it happens everywhere, all over the world, in every culture, by every race, so I don't know why you singled out the Amish??
You seem to have a lot of anger towards the Amish...I'm just curious as to why, that's all.
I don't know why this person singled out the Amish, but I wonder if it might have something to do with the fact that when the Amish offend they are able to hide inside their communities. It is against the Amish laws to report sexual abuse to the authorities even when they know the problem has not been resolved.

It could also be that when Amish sexual abuse is sentenced in the courts, Amish offenders frequently get much lighter sentences.

Finally, it could have something to do with the fact that resulting from light sentencing and very little education on the subject, sexual abuse is highly prevalent in some Amish communities - more so than in regular communities. If you doubt that, Google "Amish abuse" and read some of the articles available.

Abuse is painful in any society - in ours, at least those being abused are more likely to have a voice because people who suspect the abuse are more likely to report it to the proper authorities.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middlefield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ohio parts maker to shut down, eliminating 500 ... (Apr '08) Jan '18 Toast Ferryboi 10
News Johnson Rubber to go out of business (Mar '08) Dec '17 old school 10
News Norbalt Rubber's parent bankrupt, seeking buyer (Apr '08) Dec '17 old school 4
News Johnson Rubber says it won't close (Feb '08) Dec '17 old school 27
Sewer (Aug '16) Aug '16 Jean Amato 1
Loss of Burton Blog (Sep '13) Sep '15 NotAFan 4
David Filla (Apr '11) Sep '15 OhioMom 2

Middlefield Jobs

Personal Finance

Middlefield Mortgages