Driver Cited After Crash with Buggy, ...

Driver Cited After Crash with Buggy, Drug Use Suspected

There are 160 comments on the WJW Fox 8 Cleveland story from Sep 2, 2010, titled Driver Cited After Crash with Buggy, Drug Use Suspected. In it, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland reports that:

PARKMAN TWP., Ohio -- The driver of an SUV has been cited after a collision with an Amish-buggy that hurt eight people.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
cheri

Stow, OH

#1 Sep 2, 2010
im really glad that every1 iss going to be ok! i live in millersburg which is in the middle of amish country. people need to pay attention on the roads!!!!!!!!! the amish hae the same rights to the roads that any1 else does!!! hope the driver of the suv gets good jail time!!!!
Think

Erie, PA

#4 Sep 2, 2010
Pirtz has been cited for OVI.

That one line says it all.
fire guy

Hudson, OH

#5 Sep 2, 2010
The accident lasted just over an hour and a half. We requested 3 medivac choppers and over 5 squads. It was critical to get the mother out of there and off to metro due to her being pregnant and deemed critical on scene. The lady of the SUV was not alone she had her daughter which was an infant. She was refusing care and transport to the hospital. After a long debate I was able to convice her husband once he arrived on the scene to have them transported to geauga. My prayers go out to the family. People need to put the phone down and slow down. This is the second MAJOR accident in a months time. Im just glad no one lost their life this time. Parkman Volunteer
ALB

Burton, OH

#6 Sep 2, 2010
My daughter-in-law is eight months pregnant and I can't tell you how I feel for that little baby and his mother, and the rest of the family. I live in the area and am amazed more accidents don't happen, as so many vehicles have no patience with buggies on the roads. Whatever punishment the driver of the SUV gets, it won't be enough.
Rich

United States

#7 Sep 2, 2010
Did the amish buggy have a slow moving vehicel sign on the back of it .
I have almost hit one because they did not have there sign.They are the same color as the road without the sign there is no contrast break from black road to the black buggy
chardon

AOL

#8 Sep 2, 2010
what were you doing LADY.besides NOT paying attention to the road.......now you can think about this for the rest of your life...let me guess TEXTING or the D cell phone..
Bystander

United States

#9 Sep 2, 2010
Rich wrote:
Did the amish buggy have a slow moving vehicel sign on the back of it .
I have almost hit one because they did not have there sign.They are the same color as the road without the sign there is no contrast break from black road to the black buggy
The buggy did have an orange Slow Moving Vehicle on the rear, which was clearly visible. It was also broad daylight.

Since: Dec 09

United States

#10 Sep 2, 2010
Another sad accident. No comment yet from the drug legalization advocates.
Diane

Berea, OH

#11 Sep 2, 2010
This is so sad that this happened not only has she messed up her life but the lives of many others. When will people learn not to drive when impaired!
lin

Ravenna, OH

#12 Sep 2, 2010
The amish buggies are a hazard they dont go 10 mph and hold up traffic everywhere then we have to slam on the brakes when they show up around a corner or on a hill! not to mention they dont even have to clean up their horse crap all over the place in public, but youu better have a plastic bag if your dog takes a poo I am sick of the inbred smelly amish.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Monkey Butt

United States

#13 Sep 2, 2010
chardon wrote:
what were you doing LADY.besides NOT paying attention to the road.......now you can think about this for the rest of your life...let me guess TEXTING or the D cell phone..
My guess she was intoxicated being that she was CHARGED WITH OVI.
A Friend of the Amish

Thompson, OH

#14 Sep 2, 2010
I live around the corner from where it happened and i pray for everyone that hopefully they will ALL be ok, INCLUDING the driver of the SUV and her baby. What i wish, as a driver of a motorized vehicle and as an Amish country resident, that there were buggy lanes on all the roads that the Amish travel on a lot.

When I first heard of the accident I was trying desperately to get a hold of my daughter, who just started driving recently, knowing she was headed home, I was praying that she was not involved in it. We need more buggy lanes!!! Also to be used by all the Amish children that walk everywhere in our area. I don't mind slowing down for the Amish and I don't normally get frustrated when I am stuck behind one, but I do realize that accidents happen for various reason, and even though I never drink and drive I do however make mistakes and it is possible that I could hit a buggy simply because I am part of the hectic daily life around here.

Why the driver hit the buggy only her and God know and she will have to live with herself and I pray that she can get the help she needs to move on and be ok. I feel for her. The poor Amish family, I can only imagine how all those little kids (and the parents) feel in the back of a buggy every time a car pulls up behind them in traffic. I I say it again "we need more buggy lanes or drastically reduced speed" in some of these areas. We can all slow down and adjust to the slow moving buggy's! And for crying out loud don't drink and drive!
chuckie

Sterling Heights, MI

#16 Sep 2, 2010
lin wrote:
The amish buggies are a hazard they dont go 10 mph and hold up traffic everywhere then we have to slam on the brakes when they show up around a corner or on a hill! not to mention they dont even have to clean up their horse crap all over the place in public, but youu better have a plastic bag if your dog takes a poo I am sick of the inbred smelly amish.
Well than Lin, let me make a suggestion. Why don't you move from Ohio's Amish
country to the city. There are a lot of really nice places selling cheaply in Slavic Village or Fairfax. You would feel right at home!
MaryEllen

AOL

#17 Sep 2, 2010
I am saddened to hear of this terrible crime. I am praying for all of those involved especially the new mother and her baby boy. People need to realize that when they drive under the influence they put alot of people in jeopardy. I hope this is a wake up call for this young lady. She may just have ruined her life for a few hours of what she thought was pleasure. Harsher laws for everyone need to be enacted.Iknow a few people who have been stopped for dui and suffered no consequenses and they brag they got away with it. How sad that the innocent continue while the criminals get off scott free. Personally I am appalled .
Kat

Chardon, OH

#18 Sep 2, 2010
Way to go Julie!!! Were you texting while you were drunk driving???? It would be nice if you lose your license over this.
You suck!
Geauga resident

Burton, OH

#19 Sep 2, 2010
Why in the heck is there allowed so many people to ride in buggies? Anyone would know 8 people in one of these is unsafe and seen everyday yet nothing is done about it. If a child is in a car they are required to be in a car seat. Were all childeren in the buggy in carseats? Something needs done about the amish on main roads and overloaded buggies.
Yankee driver

Chagrin Falls, OH

#20 Sep 2, 2010
Build buggy lanes? Same rights as "Yankee" drivers? The last time I checked, the majority of state route funding comes from the taxes and fees paid by the licensing and registering of "Yankee" automobiles. The Amish aren't required by law to register their buggies; therefore, they don't put into the til like the Yankee vehicle owners do. Who's going to pay for the buggy lanes for the Amish to use? Yankee automobile owners. I earn the right to drive on state routes because I PAY to use them by registering my car.

In addition, a Yankee has to be 16 years-old, pass driving school, and PAY to get a license to drive on the roads. The Amish don't. I've seen toddler-age children driving a horse-drawn cart down state routes. That's ludicrous.

Granted the lady that hit the buggy was wrong. But, just conjecture on my part...let's assume the Amish had packed a bunch of people in a motor vehicle traveling at 55 MPH, and the lady in the SUV was traveling behind the Amish in the same direction at 55 MPH. Would the SUV have rear-ended the other automobile going the same direction and at the same speed? NO... And, on a sidebar, I've seen Amish buggies packed full of people to the point where they're hanging out of the buggy. Do this in a Yankee automobile and you get a ticket. Do it in an Amish buggy and it's OK? That's totally wrong.

And yes...driving through a fresh pile of horse pooh is rather disgusting....
Geauga resident

Burton, OH

#21 Sep 2, 2010
Im not going to argue the fact that its sad it happened, however buggies can help prevent this. Where there are buggy lanes USE THEM, they are there for a reason. This is not the case on 88 and hosmer however even sober and not under the influence of anything accidents happen.
SpongeBob

Cleveland, OH

#22 Sep 2, 2010
chuckie wrote:
<quoted text>
Well than Lin, let me make a suggestion. Why don't you move from Ohio's Amish
country to the city. There are a lot of really nice places selling cheaply in Slavic Village or Fairfax. You would feel right at home!
Lin could move to Cleveland Hieghts, just stay out of the park. LOL
SpongeBob

Cleveland, OH

#23 Sep 2, 2010
Yankee driver wrote:
Build buggy lanes? Same rights as "Yankee" drivers? The last time I checked, the majority of state route funding comes from the taxes and fees paid by the licensing and registering of "Yankee" automobiles. The Amish aren't required by law to register their buggies; therefore, they don't put into the til like the Yankee vehicle owners do. Who's going to pay for the buggy lanes for the Amish to use? Yankee automobile owners. I earn the right to drive on state routes because I PAY to use them by registering my car.
In addition, a Yankee has to be 16 years-old, pass driving school, and PAY to get a license to drive on the roads. The Amish don't. I've seen toddler-age children driving a horse-drawn cart down state routes. That's ludicrous.
Granted the lady that hit the buggy was wrong. But, just conjecture on my part...let's assume the Amish had packed a bunch of people in a motor vehicle traveling at 55 MPH, and the lady in the SUV was traveling behind the Amish in the same direction at 55 MPH. Would the SUV have rear-ended the other automobile going the same direction and at the same speed? NO... And, on a sidebar, I've seen Amish buggies packed full of people to the point where they're hanging out of the buggy. Do this in a Yankee automobile and you get a ticket. Do it in an Amish buggy and it's OK? That's totally wrong.
And yes...driving through a fresh pile of horse pooh is rather disgusting....
I agree with your comment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middlefield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ashley Nicole Welch and Frost Kennels Sep '16 Rabboni 1
Sewer Aug '16 Jean Amato 1
Loss of Burton Blog (Sep '13) Sep '15 NotAFan 4
David Filla (Apr '11) Sep '15 OhioMom 2
News Johnson Rubber says it won't close (Feb '08) Apr '15 Wentworth 26
News Norbalt Rubber's parent bankrupt, seeking buyer (Apr '08) Feb '15 cashin in 3
News Johnson Rubber to go out of business (Mar '08) Jan '14 mismanaged 9

Middlefield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Middlefield Mortgages