New faces New gov means job losses

New faces New gov means job losses

There are 5 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Nov 22, 2010, titled New faces New gov means job losses. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

Gov.-elect Peter Shumlin promised to bring jobs to Vermont. Now, he's getting a big taste of the need.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

Tom Buchanan

Grand Rapids, MI

#1 Nov 22, 2010
This AP story has an interesting headline in the Reformer: "New faces, New Gov, Means Job Losses." That headline focuses on the job loss, and attributes that to the new governor.

In contrast, the Burlington Free Press ran the same AP story with the headline "Shumlin Administration Brings Job Openings." That headline focuses on the up side, which is the job openings, and gives the new governor credit.

The Nashua Telegraph ran a more inclusive headline that says "New governor means new faces, job losses." USA Today ran the same headline with a state identifier: "In VT, New governor means new faces, job losses."

I'm guessing the original AP version had the inclusive headline that covered both new faces and job losses. I wonder why the Reformer took such a negative approach, and why the BFP ran a completely different and positive headline.
flat lander

United States

#2 Nov 22, 2010
What it all means is that now elected Shumlin is going to show you HIS many faces and the shummy we warned you about will start showing soon. AH "it's good to be the King" [Mel Brooks]. Any guesses on how many "house parties that new VSP chauffeur will be going to?
tom

West Palm Beach, FL

#3 Nov 22, 2010
Those 85 jobs are just about all Vt is going to get over the four years!
mike Mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#4 Nov 22, 2010
Tom Buchanan wrote:
This AP story has an interesting headline in the Reformer: "New faces, New Gov, Means Job Losses." That headline focuses on the job loss, and attributes that to the new governor.
In contrast, the Burlington Free Press ran the same AP story with the headline "Shumlin Administration Brings Job Openings." That headline focuses on the up side, which is the job openings, and gives the new governor credit.
The Nashua Telegraph ran a more inclusive headline that says "New governor means new faces, job losses." USA Today ran the same headline with a state identifier: "In VT, New governor means new faces, job losses."
I'm guessing the original AP version had the inclusive headline that covered both new faces and job losses. I wonder why the Reformer took such a negative approach, and why the BFP ran a completely different and positive headline.
I wonder it that was the unconscious mind of the reformer article title writer…there are tough times ahead of us and layoffs are in our future with the reformer staff?
mike Mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#5 Nov 22, 2010
I mean, happiness and depression comes in waves all through our lives, the good times and the bad…with our pessimism and optimism lens on for the same issue we see completely different things when looking over the same event?

So what is going on?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middlebury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Small-town police coverage seeks upgrade Oct 26 Brooklyn Bernie 10
War news and what it may mean for Vermont and o... Sep '17 Back East Again 1
Middlebury College Heating plant (Sep '12) Jun '17 EngineeringIdiot 5
John John the Indian (Sep '12) Jun '17 raffelsol 9
Hallmark Job Opportunity in Middlebury (May '17) May '17 VictorOrians 1
Northlands Job Corps Center (Feb '09) May '17 Pissed Also 11
Who whats to see my P**sy (Sep '15) Apr '17 bigd 2

Middlebury Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance