Tractor trailer accident closes I-84 ...

Tractor trailer accident closes I-84 east at Exit 17

There are 20 comments on the NewsTimes.com story from Feb 12, 2008, titled Tractor trailer accident closes I-84 east at Exit 17. In it, NewsTimes.com reports that:

An overturned tractor trailer has closed all lanes of Interstate 84 east by Exit 17 on the Waterbury/Middlebury line, according to the state Department of Transportation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsTimes.com.

Since: Oct 07

CT

#1 Feb 12, 2008
Important to note and should have been reported that it is compressed hydrogen and highly flammable when mixed with air.

Danbury, CT

#2 Feb 12, 2008
Oh, ok. I was wondering what the truck was carrying to require an evacuation! I can imagine the driver pissed his pants when he crashed, knowing what he had in tow!

“America's Lie Detector”

Since: Jan 08

Danbury, CT

#3 Feb 12, 2008
Ever see a fuel truck barrelling down the highway passing people? They should stay in the slow lane, and go the speed limit. Not saying that was a factor here, just for future safety.
NewMil

Branford, CT

#4 Feb 12, 2008
censorfree, you are so right. They need to real crack down on truck drivers. Especially after the whole 95 disaster.
Ronald Reagan

Danbury, CT

#5 Feb 12, 2008
Is it a tube trailer or a liquified hydrogen tank? These are quite different. One is liquified gas and one is compressed.

However, according to the Emergency Response Guide book, the response is the same for either one and as follows:

Consider evacuation 1/2 mile down wind for Hydrogen, refrigerated liquid (UN Number 1966) and Hydrogen, Compressed (UN 1049).

Consider 1 mile isolation and evacuation if there is a fire associated with the scene.

Hydrogen is extremely flammable and burns invisible. It is not toxic but breathing can it cause asphyxiation. When leaking it usually dissipates into the atmosphere without fire unless there is an ignition source.

If I lived near this incident I would take heed to the evacation warning.

“America's Lie Detector”

Since: Jan 08

Danbury, CT

#6 Feb 12, 2008
NewMil wrote:
censorfree, you are so right. They need to real crack down on truck drivers. Especially after the whole 95 disaster.
I am always right! Mwaahhahahahaha!

another note, I especially like when a truck driver tailgates. It makes me all warm and tingly inside.
Tinman

United States

#9 Feb 12, 2008
"Important to note and should have been reported that it is compressed hydrogen and highly flammable when mixed with air."

Yep- air + hydrogen = Ba-boom...

Danbury, CT

#10 Feb 12, 2008
censorfree wrote:
<quoted text>
I am always right! Mwaahhahahahaha!
another note, I especially like when a truck driver tailgates. It makes me all warm and tingly inside.
All the more warm and tingly if you have to (God forbid) tap your brakes, and he ends up in your backseat before your car explodes into a hellish fireball.

CT

#11 Feb 12, 2008
As I so considerately reported earlier this morning, Mr. Regan, it is compressed hydrogen.
shuman

Stafford Springs, CT

#12 Feb 12, 2008
NewMil wrote:
They also need to crack down on cars that speed and cut off the trucks. For instance how many people have you seen floor it to pass a truck just to get off the next exit? How many times do you see a car fly by a truck going up a hill and when the car starts down the hill it goes back in front of the truck and hits the brakes to slow down. Or gets along side of a truck and just sits there, because they are too afraid to go fast enoung to pass the truck, or they just don't want the truck in front of them. Most people don't have a clue what it takes to drive a truck safely down the road. God forbid they used some common sense and a good portion of the accidents wouldn't happen. DO not blame all truck driver for a few accidents that happen, there are more pisss poor car drivers that cause accidents than truck drivers do.
Rebell Yell

United States

#13 Feb 12, 2008
MonsterEater wrote:
Oh, ok. I was wondering what the truck was carrying to require an evacuation! I can imagine the driver pissed his pants when he crashed, knowing what he had in tow!
Do you really think he knew how dangerous the situation was? If he did know he would have passed this info on immedietly.
Truckers and Illegals

North Branford, CT

#14 Feb 12, 2008
If it's not the illegals creating issues it's the truckers.
What do you call a female Mexican driving a truck in CT
Mother Trucking Immigrant!!!
EXITS

North Branford, CT

#15 Feb 12, 2008
Can we get rid of left handed exits too. So many accidents on 84 and 95 occur where there are left handed exits.
Someone

Danbury, CT

#16 Feb 12, 2008
Truckers and Illegals wrote:
If it's not the illegals creating issues it's the truckers.
What do you call a female Mexican driving a truck in CT
Mother Trucking Immigrant!!!
Wow, you are TOO funny! How did you think of that?! Kids say the silliest things!
Wait, you are a child, right?
Ronald Reagan

Danbury, CT

#17 Feb 12, 2008
Yes indeed it is. Was a series of high pressure tubes strapped to the back of a truck. This would be highly compressed hydrogen(> 2000 PSIG).

Also note how unprepared we are for this type of incident. The fact it takes about 12 hours for someone to remediate the incident speaks volumes against the lack of accountability there is for dealing with these events.
gatasueltawtby

AOL

#18 Feb 13, 2008
i never forget when in 95 south a truck grill or front bumper got stucked over the rear bumper of a car with 2 adults and a 4 year old niece on board in MA.eventually they rolled overon a back yard and every one died as it exploded, since that horrible accident i have a lot of respect for trucks,,i stayed always behind or on other lane, we have newtruck drivers out in those rigs, who when they panic can be lethal. good day .
gatasueltawtby

AOL

#19 Feb 13, 2008
what type of unforseen seen or accident are we really prepared for????????
gatasueltawtby

AOL

#20 Feb 13, 2008
if someone can email me the back roads to danbury ??? it will be gratelly appreciated, s
ince i am new in the area, and work in danbury
thanks medussa2005@aol.com
DOT Dolts

Newtown, CT

#21 Feb 13, 2008
EXITS wrote:
Can we get rid of left handed exits too. So many accidents on 84 and 95 occur where there are left handed exits.
Bingo! What was saved by having left hand exits. Some of our highways must have been designed by idiots, a good example is the RT-7 merge with I-84 in Danbury. It's a left hand merge and half the cars entering 84 are trying to cross over two lanes so they can get off at the next exit. It's insane!
DonC

United States

#22 Feb 13, 2008
Two accidents in two days on the same stretch for I-84; one westbound, the other eastbound. Both involving tractor trailers. Doesn't the state police believe that its time to crack down on speeding truckers in our state or at least on I-84?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middlebury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What was the the Naugatuck Valley Mall like? (Jun '13) Feb 13 Shakyi 20
News Stratford housing panelist dogged by residency ... Dec '17 Daniels Conscience 2
Review: Video Temptations (Apr '14) Nov '17 JoecarguyCT 89
News Horton Foote's the Trip to Bountiful Approaches... Oct '17 America Gentleman... 1
News Bus company buys Conn. driving school (Feb '09) Aug '16 karma 8
News Wounded Warriors Donation Jar Stolen (Jul '16) Jul '16 Just me 2
Review: Aviara Salon And Day SPA (Apr '15) Apr '16 Middlebury 3

Middlebury Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Middlebury Mortgages