Police: trucker fell asleep, causing I-84 hydrogen leak crash

Full story: NewsTimes.com 24
State police say the accident that shut down Interstate 84 in the Middlebury/Waterbury area for 14 hours Tuesday was caused by a sleepy driver. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DONT GET TAKEN

Exeter, NH

#1 Feb 14, 2008
HE 57 AND NEEDS HIS NANNY TO SEND HIM TO BED
TEST HIM FOR CHEMICALS
2Funny

Japan

#2 Feb 14, 2008
I'm sure the city will apologize when they send the bill for the response & clean-up actions.

Likewise the vulture liability lawyers who will descend on Waterbury like a pack of hungry rats.
NewMil

West Hartford, CT

#3 Feb 14, 2008
It's always reassuring to hear that the men driving trucks full of flammable gas are "sleepy"
Hawleyville Hound

United States

#4 Feb 14, 2008
Yet another dumbazz trucker, they push to log as many hours as they can so they can make more money for beer and smokes.

I know a retired union driver that has told me he has NO respect for the truckers of today. Most of them are juiced on speed/caffeine and have no regard for public safety.

Since: Oct 07

Danbury, CT

#5 Feb 14, 2008
Hawleyville Hound wrote:
Yet another dumbazz trucker, they push to log as many hours as they can so they can make more money for beer and smokes.
I know a retired union driver that has told me he has NO respect for the truckers of today. Most of them are juiced on speed/caffeine and have no regard for public safety.
It might not just be the irresponsibility of the trucker but his company. He might be forced to drive many hours to get things where they are supposed to be. Not an excuse to fall asleep but there are always two sides to the story.
Hawleyville Hound

United States

#6 Feb 14, 2008
GermanChick wrote:
<quoted text>
It might not just be the irresponsibility of the trucker but his company. He might be forced to drive many hours to get things where they are supposed to be. Not an excuse to fall asleep but there are always two sides to the story.
Then the driver should show some respect for public safety and go work for another company. If they are all the same, then find another line of work. In the end, people, not companies are resp for their own actions.
Scary

United States

#7 Feb 14, 2008
This is so scary ... he fell asleep while carrying hydrogen!!!
Tar-Heel

Meriden, CT

#8 Feb 14, 2008
Shame on the company for making this guy drive to the point of exhaustion.
Dumbazz trucker

Hartford, CT

#9 Feb 14, 2008
We have to drive long hours in order to make any money. Miles = dollars, and there is a saying in the industry that "if your not turning, you're not earning." It would be great if the freight companies would pay by the hour instead of by the mile, but it would drive the costs of freight way up. Do you peeople really want to pay $10 bucks for a loaf of bread? It's all about the money folks. Those that have it don't want to pay it, and those that need it have to work long and hard to earn it. It's a tough business all around.
Hawleyville Hound

United States

#10 Feb 14, 2008
Scary wrote:
This is so scary ... he fell asleep while carrying hydrogen!!!
You should be really scared about the radioactive waste that passes through CT on occasion. I hope those guys are wide awake.
adaven

Yonkers, NY

#11 Feb 14, 2008
Dumbazz trucker wrote:
... Those that have it don't want to pay it, and those that need it have to work long and hard to earn it. It's a tough business all around.
Amen to that.

Tinman

Danbury, CT

#13 Feb 14, 2008
Really- blame corporate America for working employees to death. The state and the evacuees should inquire what hours employees are working for Linde Gas Corp. "the cats in the ivory towers" don't care about anything but the bottom line... I work 13 hour shift in the semiconductor industry- I'm exhausted after a shift, it's no different driving home after that...
PattiCake

Plattsburgh, NY

#14 Feb 14, 2008
Didn't anyone catch this guys name??!! I just thought it was funny...
Meee

Danbury, CT

#15 Feb 14, 2008
Well this man should pay for all costs involved. He fell asleep - he should have known better.

United States

#16 Feb 14, 2008
Patticake, must be the recession.
Mother ftrucker

Hartford, CT

#19 Feb 14, 2008
Meee wrote:
Well this man should pay for all costs involved. He fell asleep - he should have known better.
Yeah, like it's really that simple.

Yeah let's just tell him, hey buddy, just write the state a check for, oh I don't know, several hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay for the police and fire responses, the haz-mat team response, the costs involved in losses to other business effected by the interuption, the costs and losses involved in the evacuation of private homes, and on, and on. Too bad that you were tired because you had to work all those hours in order to pay your mortgage, or to put food on your family table but as soon as you pay for this mess, you can get back to your life.

Puh-leese don't be such an id i ot. It will never happen. We might as well just toss him in jail then because he'll never be able to pay for this mess. Now if you want the company to pay because they allowed him to run all those hours - now that's another story.

Danbury, CT

#20 Feb 14, 2008
You'd think he'd have enough money to not have to drive a truck... after all, he's Charles Schwab!

Oh wait... different Charles Schwab, huh?
Soyrizzo Eater

Danbury, CT

#21 Feb 14, 2008
MonsterEater wrote:
Oh wait... different Charles Schwab, huh?
my driver is EF Hutton!
Nemesys

Danbury, CT

#22 Feb 14, 2008
Good thing this truck wasn't carrying helium instead of hydrogen. If he had fallen asleep while he was driving through Danbury, we'd all still be talking like Donald Duck.

“tappa tappa tappa”

Danbury, CT

#23 Feb 14, 2008
Fell asleep and leaked flammable gas. Just like lying on the couch on Thanksgiving.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middlebury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: One Touch Repair (Apr '14) 22 hr Peter87 2
School bus accident in Southbury closes Exit 14... (Sep '09) Feb 24 Mike 40
Review: Video Temptations (Apr '14) Feb 24 Carson 43 14
Girl on girl dirty talk Feb 4 Tammyc17 1
other lesbians who want to talk dirty? (Mar '14) Feb 4 Tammyc17 11
Pilots Worried About Proposed Oxford Power Plant Jan '15 Emma 1
Possible Pepe's Pizza in Waterbury: Would You Go? Jan '15 JLT 1
Middlebury Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web