Top Stories - Woman Killed in Pit Bull Attack

MIDDLEBURG, FL -- Two pit bulls killed a woman in Middleburg Tuesday morning. The incident happened at a home on Cosmos Road , which is south east of County Road 218 and Hibiscus Avenue. Full Story
First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Bubba

AOL

#264 Oct 15, 2007
sten wrote:
william me and my pitbulls are gona hunt you down and kill you wanker!
I see you and pitbulls have something in common. I can see why you love the breed. Thanks for making
Williams point.

Geezzz

Since: May 07

Fernandina Beach

#265 Oct 17, 2007
pittie lover wrote:
j adam, you are a moron. Have you personally done the research? And by research, not just reading stories you find on the web. If you have, you would know that most pit bulls are great, family dogs. They excel in agility competions, they are great therapy dogs, and overall an incredible breed. Unfortunately, like every other breed, you will encounter poor breeding, poor socialization or poor handling. A good friend of mine got 15 stitches in her arm after a golden retriever attack. Did you hear about it in the news? Of course not. The media plays a huge part in these stories.
Oh and Dr Daniels, what a compassionate vet you are. Might as well kill all the huskies, shepards, rotties and danes too. Just for fun.
More name calling.
Huskies,Shepards, rotties and danes have all had incidents with dog homicide in the past, but not in the numbers on the Pit Bull and it's mixes.
Dr Daniels

Europe

#266 Oct 26, 2007
They are gonna win wrote:
<quoted text> If the girl was playing in the street and the dog was fenced how could it get its mouth on her neck... Where did you get your degree from Dr? Kmart?
I got my bachelors at University of Florida, my Masters at University Of Miami. The dog jumped over the fence to get at the little girl. So, where is your degree from?
Roofy Martineez

Norfolk, VA

#267 Nov 5, 2007
Wow!! So many "experts" here about dog breeds and behavior.....Too bad the AVMA doesn't agree with you
http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/nov00/s1115...

How about that CDC study that nobody ever bothers to read in its' entirety? Surely the CDC says Pit Bulls are more dangerous? No, they don't. They advocate community Dog Bite Prevention education - be sure to read what's in the middle of the page.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/biteprevention....

What about the ASPCA? Surely the experts there will back up the "experts" on this forum who say Pit Bulls are the most dangerous? Sorry, no.
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...

Well, I'm sure the AKC knows that Pit Bull "type" dogs are dangerous, and support banning them, right? Wrong.
http://www.akc.org/canine_legislation/positio...
"“Dangerous Dog” Control Legislation
The American Kennel Club strongly opposes any legislation that determines a dog to be "dangerous" based on specific breeds or phenotypic classes of dogs."

Wow, amazing what you can find out if you read up on what ACTUAL dog experts have to say, instead of just listening to the posers here.

Wish Bone, please provide a reliable source for your statement that 99.9999% of people killed by dogs are killed by Pit Bulls. I'm having a really hard time just taking your word for it. While you're at it, please include your credentials, so that we all know you are more of an expert than the folks at the AVMA, the CDC, the ASPCA, and the AKC. What could all those professionals with their fancy degrees possibly know anyway, right?
William

Taylorsville, NC

#268 Nov 5, 2007
Roofy Martineez wrote:
Wow!! So many "experts" here about dog breeds and behavior.....Too bad the AVMA doesn't agree with you
http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/nov00/s1115...
How about that CDC study that nobody ever bothers to read in its' entirety? Surely the CDC says Pit Bulls are more dangerous? No, they don't. They advocate community Dog Bite Prevention education - be sure to read what's in the middle of the page.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/biteprevention....
What about the ASPCA? Surely the experts there will back up the "experts" on this forum who say Pit Bulls are the most dangerous? Sorry, no.
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...
Well, I'm sure the AKC knows that Pit Bull "type" dogs are dangerous, and support banning them, right? Wrong.
http://www.akc.org/canine_legislation/positio...
"“Dangerous Dog” Control Legislation
The American Kennel Club strongly opposes any legislation that determines a dog to be "dangerous" based on specific breeds or phenotypic classes of dogs."
Wow, amazing what you can find out if you read up on what ACTUAL dog experts have to say, instead of just listening to the posers here.
Wish Bone, please provide a reliable source for your statement that 99.9999% of people killed by dogs are killed by Pit Bulls. I'm having a really hard time just taking your word for it. While you're at it, please include your credentials, so that we all know you are more of an expert than the folks at the AVMA, the CDC, the ASPCA, and the AKC. What could all those professionals with their fancy degrees possibly know anyway, right?
All these sites that you have listed are "old" news. You should have been here months ago.
Most people who get their ass chewed up or killed by a Pit Bull believes what the police, ambulance medical assistants, dog owner of the actual attack dog and insurance companies tell them.
When a Pit Bull turns on their owner and kills, the surviving relatives tell the news media that the Pit was just like a "member of the family"
Stephani

AOL

#269 Nov 16, 2007
William wrote:
<quoted text>
All these sites that you have listed are "old" news. You should have been here months ago.
Most people who get their ass chewed up or killed by a Pit Bull believes what the police, ambulance medical assistants, dog owner of the actual attack dog and insurance companies tell them.
When a Pit Bull turns on their owner and kills, the surviving relatives tell the news media that the Pit was just like a "member of the family"
All the attacking "pitbulls" are family pets when they attack is mostly because if they werent the owners or relatives would be criminally liable. As in they knew there dog was dangerous but doesnt want the lawsuit.
Hey did you know that Boston Terriers are smaller versions of the American Pit Bull Terrier? They were bred from the same group of dogs specifically to fight other dogs, rats, and bulls. Both of there histories have things in common, fighting dogs, human friendliness, and loyalty.
http://www.barkbytes.com/history/boston.htm
http://dogs.about.com/cs/breedprofiles/a/pitb...
Amanda

AOL

#270 Jan 9, 2008
dumb redneck wrote:
I live in a neighborhood were there are pitbulls running the streets, some of whom are owned by renters. When one bites me, I am going to sue the landlords, the owners and homeowners association and anyone associated with the dog. I will be relentless and take the owners land and possesions. After enough of these suits have been filed, there will be a mandatory insurance for this type of animal, making it too expensive to own. Pitbulls were bred for killing hogs and fighting. Thats all they are good for. Idiots who have pitbulls should be fed to them. I dont feel one bit sorry for the victim or her family. They played with fire and got burnt!
Pit Bulls were bred for fighting each other (dogs) not hunting hogs.

Pit bulls are commonly used as search and rescue dogs and therapy dogs. The most decorated war dog of all time is Sgt. Stubby. He was found wandering the Yale campus and smuggled onto the USS Minnesota. After WWI ended he was made mascot of Georgetown University and would do half time shows.

There are too many pit bull heroes to list here but you can find them by googling pit bull possitive press.

In order to file a suit that would entitle you to take ones land and possesions, you would have to "pierce the threshold". That means you would have to lose a limb, die, suffer a permanent injury, etc.

I was permanently injured in an accident and received a whopping $12,000.00. Good luck taking anyone's possesions for a dog bite.

“3 words changed my life ”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#271 Jan 9, 2008
Amanda wrote:
<quoted text>
Pit Bulls were bred for fighting each other (dogs) not hunting hogs.
Pit bulls are commonly used as search and rescue dogs and therapy dogs. The most decorated war dog of all time is Sgt. Stubby. He was found wandering the Yale campus and smuggled onto the USS Minnesota. After WWI ended he was made mascot of Georgetown University and would do half time shows.
There are too many pit bull heroes to list here but you can find them by googling pit bull possitive press.
In order to file a suit that would entitle you to take ones land and possesions, you would have to "pierce the threshold". That means you would have to lose a limb, die, suffer a permanent injury, etc.
I was permanently injured in an accident and received a whopping $12,000.00. Good luck taking anyone's possesions for a dog bite.
petey from the little rascals was an american staffordshire terrier..which is extremely closely related to pitbulls..sometimes even mistaken for a pit..and he is looked upon as an american icon, along with the rascals. sure, when pitbulls bite, it is not pretty and can be severe,but they actually bite a lot less than other breeds. its just the fact that their bites are severe and the news knows the public feeds on fear so the news always sensationalizes it when a pit bites. im sorry, but you sure dont read in the paper when other dogs bite someone in jacksonville, just when it was supposedly a pit bull..i say that because ive seen dogs on the news that were not pitbulls..but short coated mutts. any dog can bite..any dog can kill..and a lot of dogs bite more...i own both a pit and an american staffy..and they are both the biggest sissies and babies in the world. and any person with any sense knows you dont leave a child unattended with any dog..not just pits...even small dogs can do damage...
Sandra Rowley

Orange Park, FL

#272 Aug 21, 2008
Dear Politicians,

I remember a story about 2 pit bulls killing a nieghbor's tied up horse. What makes these dogs do it? Who knows. Many are just "pets" till a deadly attack happens.

I can think of no other breed associated with so many human kills. Why not enact a law that makes all pit bulls be spayed or nuetered? In 15 years the problem would be gone. People who now have, and love them, could keep them. But this breed must go. Their locking, ripping jaws are the problem.

“its a plane, its a plane”

Since: Dec 07

jax for now

#273 Aug 21, 2008
Sandra Rowley wrote:
Dear Politicians,
I remember a story about 2 pit bulls killing a nieghbor's tied up horse. What makes these dogs do it? Who knows. Many are just "pets" till a deadly attack happens.
I can think of no other breed associated with so many human kills. Why not enact a law that makes all pit bulls be spayed or nuetered? In 15 years the problem would be gone. People who now have, and love them, could keep them. But this breed must go. Their locking, ripping jaws are the problem.
uhmm there you go..their jaws do NOT lock, another peson with little to no clue about the breed......... I agree that they CAN like all dogs inflict injury even death but then again so can the sweet little black lab that ripped apart a baby, oh and the shitty little yappy tea cup things that run out OFF a lead every frigging night at my pit should be next......I remember when german shepards where the flavour of the day and how every attack was flogged to death in the news, same as with rotties when they where in favour and the same with dobermans......
noshellswill

Saint Augustine, FL

#274 Aug 21, 2008
SNARL/RIP/TEAR/SLASH

Bad seeds cause bad deeds ... poochee-poo snarlyface just LOVES tearing into innocents. Oh yeah there was a recent NBK-attack down south. PIT/ROT/DOB who cares when innocent blood flows every month.
Momof2

Allentown, PA

#275 Feb 22, 2010
No matter what the breed, the owner had no control. She holds some accountability in her daughters death. How horribly sad.

“Right-Wing Nuts Are 1%ers”

Redneckville, Florida

#276 Mar 8, 2010
I think this should exonerate Charles Darwin. Unfortunately those who disbelieve him can't read this or any other evidence supporting evolution (or the failure to evolve) and see anything except tRash Limbaugh's fat face.

“Right-Wing Nuts Are 1%ers”

Redneckville, Florida

#277 Mar 8, 2010
Momof2 wrote:
No matter what the breed, the owner had no control. She holds some accountability in her daughters death. How horribly sad.
Another dead Republican.
thoughtful

Westerville, OH

#278 Mar 20, 2010
As an animal lover and having had pets all my life, it really bothers me that the breed is bearing the brunt of all this hate and judgment, rather than the owners being held responsible for their animals. The real issue here is control and training. I saw a comment further up in the post where aggressive dogs were compared to guns, and frankly, that's really not a bad comparison. Do I need to mention that one of the more "dangerous" breeds, German Shepherds, is used almost exclusively by American law enforcement in their K9 units? They're weapons, albeit highly trained ones, but weapons nonetheless. Dogs were domesticated in order to provide companionship and protection and then were later bred for specific purposes and those purposes should be remembered when a family or individual is contemplating getting a pet. I have owned pit bulls, and I love them. Their natural temperament is sweet, eager to please, submissive, and protective, especially of the weaker members of the household. In fact, the only time I ever saw my pit even come close to attacking a human or another dog was when a friend brought their dog (a Golden Retriever, mind you) over to the house and his dog tried to bite ME. Pit bulls are very sensitive and intelligent, so bad treatment or even half-hearted ownership can have devastating effects on their behavior. My dog was exceptionally well trained, because I know that ANY dog can have a bad moment, but that my dog was very strong and capable of doing a lot of damage, and I needed to address that if I was going to own a powerful breed. As a result, I never had a problem with my dogs (any breed) whereas my friend, not long after the incident with me and my dog, actually had to get rid of his Retriever because of continued aggression toward people and other dogs. I wholeheartedly support legislation that requires insurance for powerful breeds, and even understand the bans on some breeds in apartment complexes or areas where it is really impossible to completely control your pet's environment. However, I think that vilifying an entire breed is irresponsible when the owners know full well what their animal is capable of and did not do what is necessary to assure themselves and their families and neighbors that their dog was not a threat. Just a thought.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middleburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Marco Rubio 40 min noshellswill 2
Bantu savages jigaabboo at cops murder 12 hr King of wisdom 3
why do blacks think white people owe them (Nov '07) 18 hr Toaster 806
Review: John Robert Powers Sat nyantebukaantichoc 1
School teacher Sat King of wisdom 8
Sony buttfyucked by hackers .... Sat King of wisdom 2
Suncastle properties Sat Mitzi 2
Middleburg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web