Winning $3M lottery ticket answers ch...

Winning $3M lottery ticket answers church's prayers

There are 14 comments on the Newsday story from Aug 27, 2008, titled Winning $3M lottery ticket answers church's prayers. In it, Newsday reports that:

It was an unpleasant announcement for Pastor Bertrand Crabbe to make to his congregation at True North Community Church in Port Jefferson Station.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

ATP

Bridgeport, CT

#1 Aug 27, 2008
I am glad they are helping the Lighthouse Mission...
that is an excellent choice, they help so many, as a former Girl Scout Leader, I came to know the selfless works of this mission, and they are really doing some job, I recently past their Patchogue location and they are being evicted. Maybe this will help them find a more permanent home to do the work they do that is desperately needed on Long Island. If anyone or there business has anything to donate, they will take it, and give it out in poor areas that are in great need, I have given them soap, shampoo, toothbrushes, toiletries, food, clothing, household items, anything you can part with, they will find someone who needs it. They fill up there trucks and go to a specific location, where the people in that area know when the truck will come. They open up the back and put out the items, who ever needs
it takes it, free.. I love that no money making baloney. The people who need the stuff get it, there are so many mothers with children in need of school items, clothes, toiletries, the extra's they just cannot really afford after the bills are paid, they can get what they need, new or used from Lighthouse, I am not affiliated with them in any way, but when I did a service project with my GS Troop, I was amazed at the dedication of this mission, it is truly an act of god, that this nun is caring out..
God Bless The Lighthouse Mission and This Church for donating money to them, I hope to do more for them personally, they need helpers, money, food and items donated regularly to continue, and a new home for storage. Please look into this if you have any surplus items to donate, merchandising people, those who take soap from hotels that they never use, all of it..
Get Involved...:)
Ray_D

Virginia Beach, VA

#2 Aug 28, 2008
Lottery winnings are filthy lucre, gained at the expense of the poor. The church would be wise to refuse such ill gotten gain.
Bruce

Kalamazoo, MI

#3 Aug 28, 2008
I just hope that this church doesn't preach about the evils of gambling or this will be a case of "do as I say" and not "do as I do".

I am a gambler so I am happy for them, regardless.
liner

Bronx, NY

#4 Aug 28, 2008
Ray_D wrote:
Lottery winnings are filthy lucre, gained at the expense of the poor. The church would be wise to refuse such ill gotten gain.
I wouldn't hold your breath, Ray.
MORON

Lake Zurich, IL

#5 Aug 28, 2008
Donate the entire thing? I don't think so. To a church? Oye! Even the pastor said he would not have donated the entire thing
george

United States

#6 Aug 28, 2008
I believe that this situation occurred recently in another congregation. In that case, the church practiced what it preached and turned down the money. But of course today, with Gay clergy and half of the average churches woman having had abortions,and others engaged in infidllity, etc., I guess some lapsed churches today would accept money from the devil. I am not impressed.
No TAX

United States

#7 Aug 28, 2008
MORON wrote:
Donate the entire thing? I don't think so. To a church? Oye! Even the pastor said he would not have donated the entire thing
I'd dig a little deeper. maybe the person also has a 20 year contract for the trade? Or maybe just a cash out trade?
kay

United States

#8 Aug 28, 2008
george wrote:
I believe that this situation occurred recently in another congregation. In that case, the church practiced what it preached and turned down the money. But of course today, with Gay clergy and half of the average churches woman having had abortions,and others engaged in infidllity, etc., I guess some lapsed churches today would accept money from the devil. I am not impressed.
"DITTO"
Dan

New York, NY

#9 Aug 28, 2008
Why doesn't your poll have an option for those of us who don't have a religious congregation or, for that matter, a religion?
Also, it seems absurd to me that the church would have the taxes potentially refunded --- technically, the lottery award would be claimed by an individual who would then pay taxes on his/her winnings and then, should they choose, could donate the remainder of their earnings to the church.
Pay it Forward

New York, NY

#10 Aug 28, 2008
I grew up with this guy. He has been consistent since grade school. He'll do the right thing with the money. They already gave away the first month to stop sex trafficing. Pay It Forward.
Doug

Towson, MD

#11 Aug 28, 2008
I hope they pay taxes on it.Too many sweet heart deals for churches in this country.Tax churches and lower mine.
Ray_D

Portsmouth, VA

#12 Aug 28, 2008
Funny the same people who scream "seperate church and state" see nothing wrong with the government taxing the church.
Dan

New York, NY

#13 Aug 28, 2008
While I am a huge advocate of church and state separation, I don't think this is a case of me saying that the church should be taxed; the winner of the lotto should be taxed before any donation is given, as they are, in essence, saying "I will be receiving $3 million dollars and wish to donate my income to the church" by donating the ticket.

They can then also write of the donation as a tax break for the individual as per normal charitable giving rules.
Hot Shot

New York, NY

#14 Aug 28, 2008
Ray_D wrote:
Funny the same people who scream "seperate church and state" see nothing wrong with the government taxing the church.
I think it's funny that the same people who are against taxing the church also have no problem with Churches being political.

You can't have it both ways. If you want to play the game, you should have to pay up like everyone else. Tax the churches, synagogues and other religious institutions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middle Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sayville food pantry waiting on Islip Town to m... 2 hr Tom Risley 76
leslie paul bernstein (Sep '11) 11 hr MEL COHEN USAF 2
MMGA Make Mastic Great Again Mon Evan Politico 2
Moving to mastic beach. Wheres a good area to l... (Sep '11) Mon Evan Politico 20
News Charges Filed In LI Chimney Sweep Scam (Feb '06) Apr 15 Mill Ania 340
News Six men arrested in prostitution sting (Jan '08) Apr 13 Mill Ania 154
Say No to Arboretum Project Apr 11 No Arboretum 1

Middle Island Jobs

Personal Finance

Middle Island Mortgages