There are many reasons for the high cost of living in LI. Not the least of which is high taxes. The taxes go to support overpaid public employees and deadbeats dependant on Government entitlement programs.
If you want things to improve several things must happen. These include
1) The closing of our borders,
2) The enforcement of our immigration laws,
3) Fining employers who knowingly hire illegal criminal aliens (if they are here illegally, they are criminal illegal aliens NOT undocumented workers),
4) Elimination of all health benefits, tuition benefits and all other freebies given to illegal criminal aliens,
5) Bringing our troops home (no more foreign entanglements)
6) The repeal of NAFTA,
7) A severe curtailment of entitlement programs for American citizens. People who can work need to work. There are far too many able bodied Americans on disability that are bleeding the taxpayers dry. Ask any cop when the drugs are bought and the answer will commonly be “shortly after the government checks arrive in the mail”
Please note not all on disability are deadbeats and not all those participating in entitlement program are deadbeats. However, a large percentage of the people on disability and entitlement programs are capable of working but refuse to do so.