Anti-7-Eleven Letter Arrives at West Islip Homes [PHOTOS]

Jul 23, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Patch.com

An anonymous letter railing against the proposed 7-Eleven on Udall and Muncey Roads was mailed to homes across West Islip over the weekend.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Let us get this right

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

Let us get this right | 2 min ago
Hello people,
I am really amazed that there is resistance to this proposed 7-11. that area of WI looks like crap. Putting in a new 7-11 will make the area look decent at the very least. It's another business tax payer in my book as well. I am tired of this town trying to keep business out. The 2 other 7-11 stores have not taken the neighborhood down. And the reason why we have no money to pay for our schools is that we vote business out. Times r changing and we need to get with it. I'd rather driVe past a new 7-11 then then abandoned gas station. Maybe it would encourage current building/ store owners to put some effort into their appearance.
Even the area near Farrrells looks dumpy. If someone wants to put the cash in to create an new nice looking building around here call it what u want but I call it neighborhood improvement!
Report this post
WI Resident

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

Haven't you heard? If they build a 7-11 there we will have people shooting heroin in the parking lot, teenagers will be hanging out there at 3am and people from other towns will drive from their town to that 7-11 to drink and then drive drunk. Yup that's the arguement. Embarassing to say the least.

BTW I live right down the street and would welcome the 7-11 instead of looking at that boarded up gas station for the last 10yrs.
abe

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

Let us get this right wrote:
Let us get this right | 2 min ago
Hello people,
I am really amazed that there is resistance to this proposed 7-11. that area of WI looks like crap. Putting in a new 7-11 will make the area look decent at the very least. It's another business tax payer in my book as well. I am tired of this town trying to keep business out. The 2 other 7-11 stores have not taken the neighborhood down. And the reason why we have no money to pay for our schools is that we vote business out. Times r changing and we need to get with it. I'd rather driVe past a new 7-11 then then abandoned gas station. Maybe it would encourage current building/ store owners to put some effort into their appearance.
Even the area near Farrrells looks dumpy. If someone wants to put the cash in to create an new nice looking building around here call it what u want but I call it neighborhood improvement!
Report this post
A new 7-11 will not "help us pay for our schools".
Wake up Abe

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

abe wrote:
<quoted text>
A new 7-11 will not "help us pay for our schools".
Abe - The land will require an improvement to support a 7-11 (both the structure and property. Re-zoning may be required as well.

This will affect the tax assessment on that property in a favorable direction to the WI schools. Read they will pay more school tax.

Unless Good Sam is operating the 7-11, more RE taxes will be collected for our schools.

If WI wants to spend more on education for their children, and or wants to rein in the continual tax increases our community is seeing every year - WI residents need to come to terms with the fact that they need some commercial businesses to offset those tax requirements.

Wake up Abe!

PS. The area proposed for this establishment is in dire need of a face lift. Not to mention the fact that a empty, vacant, building in disrepair is not only an eye sore but a magnet for undesirables.
abe

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

Wake up Abe wrote:
<quoted text>
Abe - The land will require an improvement to support a 7-11 (both the structure and property. Re-zoning may be required as well.
This will affect the tax assessment on that property in a favorable direction to the WI schools. Read they will pay more school tax.
Unless Good Sam is operating the 7-11, more RE taxes will be collected for our schools.
If WI wants to spend more on education for their children, and or wants to rein in the continual tax increases our community is seeing every year - WI residents need to come to terms with the fact that they need some commercial businesses to offset those tax requirements.
Wake up Abe!
PS. The area proposed for this establishment is in dire need of a face lift. Not to mention the fact that a empty, vacant, building in disrepair is not only an eye sore but a magnet for undesirables.
I am wide awake. How much do you think your taxes will go DOWN if 7-11 opens on Hunter Ave? Probably a better question is how much do you think the owners of that 7-11 will pay per year in school taxes? Although the property is currently vacant (and I agree with you it's in disrepair and an eye sore) the owners of the parcel still have to pay taxes on it. Granted, if the property is improved and/or re-zoned their taxes will go up, however not as much as one might think. The difference between the taxes levied on that small of a land parcel (vacant/improved/re-zoned)won' t be the tax windfall people seem to think it'll be.
Not even going to touch the implication that a new 7-11 will make it financially possible to spend more $ educating WI students. What a silly thought. The Board of Ed will see to it that any additional school tax revenue will never be used for the actual education of WI students.
Wake up Abe

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

It's a mind set Abe. We need commercial establishments in WI. We don't have enough of them, period, full stop.

The proposed 7-11 plan is a step in the right direction, not the coming of Christ.

The next time you choose to make a short blanket statement - you should think twice. Your reply paints you in a much better light.

This all said, I'd like to know where all these so called community activists have been? Why have they not been writing the Islip Board about possible violations at the shuttered gas station. Why is everyone so vocal now about a new business?

I would think cleaning up that mess would help to bring local folks into the surrounding businesses. I for one will not frequent those shops due to the overall condition of that area.

Many folks from the community are down there at least once a week for mass, and the four corners there are just a disgrace.

Who's working on that ?
Abe s defender

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

Wake up Abe wrote:
It's a mind set Abe. We need commercial establishments in WI. We don't have enough of them, period, full stop.
The proposed 7-11 plan is a step in the right direction, not the coming of Christ.
The next time you choose to make a short blanket statement - you should think twice. Your reply paints you in a much better light.
This all said, I'd like to know where all these so called community activists have been? Why have they not been writing the Islip Board about possible violations at the shuttered gas station. Why is everyone so vocal now about a new business?
I would think cleaning up that mess would help to bring local folks into the surrounding businesses. I for one will not frequent those shops due to the overall condition of that area.
Many folks from the community are down there at least once a week for mass, and the four corners there are just a disgrace.
Who's working on that ?
Hey catch phrase kid: do you even know what a short blanket statement is? Stop listening to intelligent people speak then repeat the catch phrases they use. Mind set? Another catch phrase you don't quite get. Do you know what a community activist is? You confuse that catch phrase with plain folks writing how they feel. You said people aren't writing the Islip Town Board and complaining about the shuttered gas station. How would you know that information unless you had access to it? Take your own advice and think twice before you make statements because you just painted a portrait of yourself.
mommy dearest

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

This 7-11 is going to be a great convenience for the residents in this neighborhood. They don't have to go into the center of WI for coffee after dropping little Mike to soccer practice, soccer games and such. People running to work don't have to go to town to get their morning Joe, and back to Sunrise hgwy. They just need to stop there at 7-11 and get on Sunrise. In the cold winter months when you don't feel like schlepping all the way into town you can go to 7-11 for your gallon of milk and bread. Kids can walk to get a slurpee instead of being driven into town. It's all great. BUT...I don't relish the congestion this will create, kids walking to 7-11 or by bike, that worries me because of the amount of cars and often stupid driving moves made there, everyone is always in such a fricken hurry. If the town allows for this, the town had better be taking into account the added traffic on that intersection and do something about it.
Wake up Abe

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Abe s defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey catch phrase kid: do you even know what a short blanket statement is? Stop listening to intelligent people speak then repeat the catch phrases they use. Mind set? Another catch phrase you don't quite get. Do you know what a community activist is? You confuse that catch phrase with plain folks writing how they feel. You said people aren't writing the Islip Town Board and complaining about the shuttered gas station. How would you know that information unless you had access to it? Take your own advice and think twice before you make statements because you just painted a portrait of yourself.
So what's your position on this issue ? Are you for or against the proposed 7-11 ? Why ? Have you actively petitioned the town about the condition of the businesses/RE on that intersection ? Would you and/or do you patronize those establishments ? Are you in favor of more commercial enterprises to offset the tax roll ?

Do you live in that area and just choose to tolerate the squalor that intersection has become. Certainly the surrounding residential area is deserving of better.

Do you not see that abandoned buildings are a magnet for a bad element, especially right in the middle of a residential area ?

There's a lot going on here "Abe's Defender", grab your mitt and get in he game.

PS: Based on your response, if I were Abe I would definitely not want you defending me !
abe

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Wake up Abe wrote:
<quoted text>
So what's your position on this issue ? Are you for or against the proposed 7-11 ? Why ? Have you actively petitioned the town about the condition of the businesses/RE on that intersection ? Would you and/or do you patronize those establishments ? Are you in favor of more commercial enterprises to offset the tax roll ?
Do you live in that area and just choose to tolerate the squalor that intersection has become. Certainly the surrounding residential area is deserving of better.
Do you not see that abandoned buildings are a magnet for a bad element, especially right in the middle of a residential area ?
There's a lot going on here "Abe's Defender", grab your mitt and get in he game.
PS: Based on your response, if I were Abe I would definitely not want you defending me !
Dearest Defender, thank you for your post.
Dearest WakeupAbe, I don't believe anyone has jumped to defend you or your foolishness. Try your very best to have a nice day anyway.
Dearest Mommie Dearest, your post is spot on. You took that wire hanger and knocked one out of the park....or in this case the vacant lot.
Have a nice day, all.
Carol

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

How about a nail salon?
west islip

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

LOL Carol! Or how bout one of those FOOT MASSAGE places that are popping up all over = no pun intended.
Carol

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2012

God no Foot Massage place. I heard they arrested some guy for masterbating in parking lot of new nail salon(old candy lane). he claimed to have a foot fetish and liked watching women in flip flops coming and going.
west islip

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Carol wrote:
God no Foot Massage place. I heard they arrested some guy for masterbating in parking lot of new nail salon(old candy lane). he claimed to have a foot fetish and liked watching women in flip flops coming and going.
I'm not surprised. Maybe that's the reason why all of the foot massage places have their windows and doors fully covered---they want the 'client' to have to enter the store in order to......well, massage.
Kate

Bohemia, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2012

I was there when they arrested him. I saw him several times, but figured his wife was inside or something. When they dragged him out he was in a speedo. Totally insane!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Middle Island News Video

•••
•••

Middle Island Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Middle Island People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE