Town of Brookhaven BANS fishing at Sh...

Town of Brookhaven BANS fishing at Shoreham Beach

Posted in the Middle Island Forum

fisherman

Dumont, NJ

#1 Oct 11, 2008
The town of Brookhaven has banned fishing at Shoreham Beach. People have been fishing at this beach for years. After labor day, they closed the beach to EVERYONE, but after some outcry the beach was reopened. Fishing is still banned there. The town board is doing the bidding of some local shore front residents who are trying to turn public beaches into private beaches.

Brookhaven residents pay incredibly high taxes for use of public parks, beaches, etc , and are now being denied access to these beaches. The Town of Brookhaven has 153 miles of coastline and a population of 448,519 with only 14 areas to go fishing legally.

In my opinion, these actions by the town board are illegial and only serve a select few , not all the residents of Brookhaven.

Many groups are now fighting this ban , but the town will not budge.

There is an on-line petition on this issue. If you care about your rights, whether you are a fisherman or not, please sign the petition and spread the word. We can not let this action by the town board stand.

Click here to sign petition :

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/shorehamba...
Brookhaven taxpayer

Chatham, NJ

#2 Oct 15, 2008
It is unbelievable what the rich get away with.
The only reason this is happening is because one Brookhaven Councilwoman Jane Bonner actually owns a home there. And that is a blatant abuse of power. She may own the property above the water line. But, no one owns the ocean. We should be able to walk in the water anywhere.
Bruce from PA

Scranton, PA

#3 Oct 16, 2008
It sounds like Connecticut has spread over onto Long Island.

My son and I make an annual trip to Brookhaven to go fishing. This year we just have to get a motel room somewhere else.

Too bad for the residents of the area. I hope Jane Bonner is up for re-election. Let's hope you'll get her out of office. Palin pulled a similar "abusive of power" stunt in Alsaka. The special prosecuter's report cited her.

Best of luck.
Bruce from PA

Scranton, PA

#4 Oct 16, 2008
I need to discover the details for ban. If you wish to do the same, Jane Bonner's office phone number is found at the town's web address.
Her town web address is
http://www.brookhaven.org/BrookhavenElectedOf...
As they say, "It's best to get it straight from the horse's mouth."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middle Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mastic Beach or Ghetto Beach? (Feb '11) 37 min Badtothebone 90
Vick Zeelany 45 min Badtothebone 2
Don Woolley (Dec '10) Oct 14 SmokinJoe 12
horse boarding (Jan '13) Oct 13 Jennifer 58
SCCC Natures Garden (Dec '12) Oct 12 SmokinJoe 9
S Prestano Bakery Oct 7 Mario 34
Yaphank Jail (Aug '12) Oct 5 Carlos E Lebron 50

Middle Island Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance