As LI economy slides, the newly poor seek assistance

Full story: Newsday 103
Long Island last month saw sharp increases in applications for government assistance and a surge of people seeking food from overwhelmed charity providers, developments that county officials and economists ... Read more
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Before

Forest Hills, NY

#1 Feb 16, 2008
This started with big government/business,not local so much.Finance companies raped citizens on ajustable rates....That are not even american companies.Then the fuel costs.Buckle up folks.We do not even have control of our ports. It's gonna get worse.
beachgirl

Hicksville, NY

#2 Feb 16, 2008
Ihate to admit I might have to go on food stamps been out of work only 2 months but unemployment barely makes my rent. been going to the church for help
el barto

Highland, NY

#3 Feb 16, 2008
this is a depression.not a recession.

when people making $500 a week show up at a soup kitchen,the economy has crashed.between huge increases in gasoline,food,heating fuels,rents and so much more -triple what they were just three years ago-its a wonder we have any middle class left at all.

giving the public checks of $300,$600 and more is not going to help matters.most polled said they will use the $$ to pay existing bills or debt,and not get that flat-screen tv they want.

maybe some of the $600 billion we wasted on this useless war in Iraq couldve been spent on our countrys needs first.
man from lynbrook

Corona, NY

#4 Feb 16, 2008
It this any surprise ? We pay Beverly Hills taxes, Pols have been raping hard working Long Islanders for 30 years, thousands of school board idiots, teachers, meter maids, cops making 6 digit salaries for 25 hour a week jobs. The pension costs alone are destroying LI. Its all over here folks, your kids can't live here and the illegals will occupy the remains. This entire rathole will look like post WW2 Stalingrad in a few years. Get out while you can.
YouBet

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Feb 16, 2008
beachgirl wrote:
Ihate to admit I might have to go on food stamps been out of work only 2 months but unemployment barely makes my rent. been going to the church for help
3 questions for you. How much did you save in the last year? How much did you spend on clothes in the last year? How many pairs of new shoes did you buy in the past year?
YouBet

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Feb 16, 2008
For those down on their luck. Here's my offer. I'll give $200 cash and a used 19 inch box TV for a used flat screen TV over 35 inches. You still get to watch TV and you have an extra $200 for food. E-mail me at toughluck@gmail.com
JOHN W BUGLER

Milford, CT

#7 Feb 17, 2008
We should call upon our SPECIAL DISTRICT FOLKS to kick in a few bucks to help the newly created poor, which to some extent they helped to create.

They should be comforted by the fact that the apostle Paul tells them that "charity covers a multitude of sins."

JOHN W BUGLER
BUGLER.ORG
Tony Vigorito

Deer Park, NY

#8 Feb 17, 2008
Your article has covered an important subject. You have quoted someone named Hampson, who is he/she?
Irving

Boca Raton, FL

#9 Feb 17, 2008
And where is Senator Clinton during this trying period for us on Long Island, she did promise to stay senator untill her term expires. Oooops she did it again, she lied to us.
anonymous

Medford, NY

#10 Feb 17, 2008
man from lynbrook wrote:
It this any surprise ? We pay Beverly Hills taxes, Pols have been raping hard working Long Islanders for 30 years, thousands of school board idiots, teachers, meter maids, cops making 6 digit salaries for 25 hour a week jobs. The pension costs alone are destroying LI. Its all over here folks, your kids can't live here and the illegals will occupy the remains. This entire rathole will look like post WW2 Stalingrad in a few years. Get out while you can.
The politicians are to blame for all of this and the schools. They have robbed us blind. They are the crooks you see the article people. We work for them to live in better houses and take their nice trips. We need to unite and stop paying our taxes.
Mohamed

Bangkok, Thailand

#11 Feb 17, 2008
You should hav planned your life better,Allah cannot help you.
Mohamed

Bangkok, Thailand

#12 Feb 17, 2008
have
Bogey

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Feb 17, 2008
YouBet wrote:
For those down on their luck. Here's my offer. I'll give $200 cash and a used 19 inch box TV for a used flat screen TV over 35 inches. You still get to watch TV and you have an extra $200 for food. E-mail me at toughluck@gmail.com
Don't forget the I pods, cell phones, chrome rims, computer/cable access.
Never ever ever get a second job!
seriously

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Feb 17, 2008
"We're getting more of the relatively well-dressed man or woman with a newish car but say they have no prospects of a new job."

I would sell my car and buy a less expensive vehicle, and sell my other belongings too before I went to a food pantry.

No prospects for a new job? Are these people too proud to work at a fast food restaurant, all of which are still hiring and would provide food during their shift? But they are not too proud to accept food for free?

Also,$50 per week is plenty to feed even more than one adult if you buy real food and not convenience food. You know, like oatmeal, milk, eggs, bread, peanut butter, pasta, ground beef. It's not going to be the most exciting menu, but you can make do. And don't tell me you don't have time to cook if you don't have a job.
B Real

Mastic, NY

#15 Feb 17, 2008
Well McD's and Wendys have a great dollar menu. U can get a burger, potato, Chili, and water for $3. You could make that anywhere.
seriously

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Feb 17, 2008
Before wrote:
This started with big government/business,not local so much.Finance companies raped citizens on ajustable rates....That are not even american companies.Then the fuel costs.Buckle up folks.We do not even have control of our ports. It's gonna get worse.
Finance companies did not "rape" citizens, it was more like a bad date and now people are waking up the next morning after a one-night stand saying "why did I do that?" No one forced anyone to take out ARMs. Greed is a two way street. Don't buy something you think you're entitled to but can't really afford.

The whole housing situation over the last few years was like watching pigs at a trough. Were they fed too much - maybe? Did homebuyers shove their fellow pigs snouts out of the way in order to eat more and more - absolutely.
seriously

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Feb 17, 2008
Just went to freshdirect.com , a new york city online food delivery service. They have somewhat competitive prices, but I know for a fact that prices at most LI supermarkets are lower.

I created the following basket for $50:

Breakfast
1 gallon 1% milk $4.58 (16 1 cup servings)
1 dozen medium organic eggs $2.49
1/2 gallon Tropicana OJ $3.59 (8 servings)
1 42 oz. canister Quaker Oats $4.59 (20+ servings)

Fruit & Vegetables
3 Bartlett Pears $2.24
4 Bananas $1.06
1 Head Fresh Broccoli $1.49
1 pound bag organic carrots $1.49
16. oz. bag Birdseye frozen mixed vegetables $2.19

Lunch
1 loaf Arnold stone ground wheat bread $3.09
1 18 oz. jar Jif peanut butter (16 servings!)$2.99
1 12 oz. jar Smucker's Grape Jelly $1.99
1 46 oz. bottle V-8 vegetable juice $3.69

Dinner
1 28 oz. bag Carolina Long Grain Brown Rice $2.19
1 lb. Lean Ground Chuck $3.99 (keep in mind 1 lb. should make 3 meals with serving size 4oz).
2 Split Chicken Breasts with Ribs $4.66
1 6oz. can Bumble Bee chunk light tuna $1.09
1 15 oz. jar Hellman's light mayo $2.99
Use a few eggs from above for 1 night for egg salad.

You could get more food if you substituted store brands for some of the name brands and bought chicken parts instead of breast meat. You could buy a smaller canister of oatmeal and buy a box of raisins instead to supplement the fruit intake. Throw in a multi-vitamin that you can get a prescription for from your doctor or free clinic for $2/ month at Wal-Mart.

This basket of food would provide more calories and actual quantity of food than many Hollywood celebrities, which people so adore, choose to consume in one week.

Is this a diffcult, not especially exciting menu? Yes. Is it impossible to live on $50 food/week? No.
seriously

Brooklyn, NY

#18 Feb 17, 2008
My posts above may come across harsh, and if so, I apologize, that wasn't my intention. I was trying to be a bit realistic because I think they are plenty of hard working middle class families that make do without complaining or asking for help.

I think we are so used to convenience items, getting take out and eating out and WASTING food that we have forgotten how to eat, how to cook for ourselves, and how to buy real foods. We are a fat nation for a reason.

I begrude no one food stamps, a meal at a soup kitchen, or a trip to the food pantry. I'm sure the soup kitchen provides a type of social event too, not that it is merry, but that you can encounter friendly sympathetic faces and get out of the house.

But please don't make it seem like people are going to starve to death or even go hungry because of current economic conditions and that they have no other option but to queue up for rations. There are people here in the US and around the world that make do and are HAPPY with much less because they have more ingenuity and better attitudes.
baybie

Deer Park, NY

#19 Feb 17, 2008
Maybe it's hard to be happy and "have a good attitude" when you're facing forclosure, afraid of running out of oil and having your pipes freeze, or having a medical or dental problem you can't afford to have treated.

Seems to me that the places where people are poor there is mostly violence, people taking advantage of each other, religion ruling their lives in a bad way, and that sort of thing. The idea of the poor but happy peasant is just a romantic notion.

Currently minimum wage in NY is $7.15 which comes to $286 per week before taxes. Let's say that after taxes one would bring home $540 for two weeks of full time work. Would that sustain anyone on LI? I don't know about you, but my oil bill alone was $680 last time I had the tank filled.

There has always been this nasty contempt for people who find themselves down and out cause no one ever thinks it will be them. It's a sad statement about the heartlessness of our current culture.
EX LIer

Kissimmee, FL

#20 Feb 17, 2008
Irving wrote:
And where is Senator Clinton during this trying period for us on Long Island, she did promise to stay senator untill her term expires. Oooops she did it again, she lied to us.
Listen to my fellow Florida resident blaming it on Shrillery ... since y'all are down here with me, look around .. this is not a LI issue ... it is a National issue .... and without dragging party politics into it ... the guy with his hand on the throttle must take the blame !!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middle Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
nancy aka hoodo and her hate ( new horizons ) 5 hr hoo doo you think... 111
employee batered in village hall last week 5 hr residents 4
Clare F. Rose 12 hr Jayar 1
Issues With Mastic Beach 14 hr Question 94
Cody Ford Should Go 18 hr hodoo 51
Review: Aqua Hut Inc 19 hr Johnenewt1 1
Matel's Unemployed Barbie Nurse Doll Sat hodoo 29
Middle Island Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web