Panel speaks in Gordon Heights fire district fight -

Full story: Newsday 266
A gubernatorial commission wants Brookhaven Town to change its mind about whether the Gordon Heights Fire District should still exist. Full Story
First Prev
of 14
Next Last
High Taxes

Hampton Bays, NY

#1 Aug 23, 2007
www.ghfdtax.com

Low call volume, no tax base, not everyone who lives in the Gordon Heights Community pays their taxes to the Gordon Heights Fire District. 20 yr problem that has been swept under the rug by the GHFD commissioners..

Tax rate doubled from $32.00 100/accessed value to $ 64.00 in past 5 years.

Suff Cty PD tax rate is $ 30.00
GHFD tax rate is $ 64.00

The institution (aka as the GHFD) that should be saving this community will be the demise of it instead.
taxed to death

White Plains, NY

#2 Aug 23, 2007
If you want Gordon Heights to revitalize and the Vision for Gordon Heights to become a reality you have to solve the problem of the taxes! It is as simple as that
The Commission would not have reached out to the Town if it didn't think a serious tax crisis exists. You can't keep taxing the homeowners as if our homes were commercial property. It is a service that the Gordon Heights volunteers can provide as part of another district. It is service that the people need not the preservation of a 1.7 mile piece of real estate
Give Me A Break

White Plains, NY

#3 Aug 23, 2007
James Kelly's comment you have some wonderful people out here that would throw down their life to save yours. That statement is absolutely true BUT is also SO DECEIVING . IT IS A HALF TRUTH which is something the GORDON HEIGHTS COMMISSIONERS SPECIALIZE IN! I truly believe there are Volunteer Firemen and women who will do that. However, these same wonderful Firemen and women can serve people through ANY FIRE DISTRICT. Dissolving the GORDON HIEGHT FIRE DISTRICT OR ANY FIRE DISTRICT FOR THAT MATTER has NOTHING to do with eliminating the FIRE DEPARTMENT!!!!!! THE GHFD COMMISSIONERS ARE PREYING ON PEOPLE'S FEARS TO KEEP THEIR POWER TO TAX AND SPEND! You have it in writing!!!
gordon heights taxpayer

Jackson Heights, NY

#4 Aug 23, 2007
Thank god for the Brookhaven towns law department. They tried to get me to sign that phony petition also but I did my home work and found out that it is about more that just the fire taxes. My community would be in a lot of trouble with out our fire deparment. They cant even tell you where your fire protection is going to come from. My families health and safety comes before my taxes. God bless the Gordon Heights Fire Department 60yrs of sevice to my community. We love you and support you.
Ironic

United States

#5 Aug 23, 2007
Ironic that a voice from Miller Place suddenly is the authority on whats best for Gordon Heights. Why dont you advocate for the re-direction of some of your priviledge resources to Gordon Heights. For as long as its existence Gordon Heights have been deprived of of anything good. Why doesnt the State commission find ways to address the disparities and infuse resources rather than take away from us, AGAIN?
voice of reason

White Plains, NY

#6 Aug 23, 2007
The heart of Gordon Heights is the Civic Association and the Churches. The Greater Gordon Heights community is so much larger than the Fire District. It is ridiculous to think the Gordon Heights residents will loose identily if the district is gone. Will anyone say you can't have a civic association because you don't have a fire district? I don't think so! The Gordon Heights Community is well and strong now and it will be well and strong and more prosperous without it's own district that by the way doesn't even serve 49% of the population. The Commissioners have had 50 years to unite the community under the umbrella of one fire district The district is a community dividing issue. The residents of Gordon Heights who are not in the District don't want to be in the district because they don't want to pay the high taxes.
GH Taxpayer

Warwick, NY

#7 Aug 23, 2007
This is about service - which can be provided by the other fire districs surrounding GHFD - all of which are already servicing more than 50% of the Gordon Heights Community at much lower rates. You did your homework and found out what? This is a race issue? When the majority of the signatures are within the GH Community? Better go back to school and get your facts straight. Wasn't a phony petition - just an invalid one.
voice of reason

White Plains, NY

#8 Aug 23, 2007
gordon heights taxpayer wrote:
Thank god for the Brookhaven towns law department. They tried to get me to sign that phony petition also but I did my home work and found out that it is about more that just the fire taxes. My community would be in a lot of trouble with out our fire deparment. They cant even tell you where your fire protection is going
to come from. My families health and safety comes before my taxes. God bless the Gordon Heights Fire Department 60yrs of sevice to my community. We love you and support you.
you are right-it is the volunteers and they can be part of any district!! would you know the difference if the sign said Gordon Heights sub station? In the second place no one is going to leave anyone without protection. That is why the Commission is offering to help!!!!
GH Taxpayer

Warwick, NY

#9 Aug 23, 2007
Hey Ironic, blog gives you an address, not necessarily where you live. BTW: are you really from GA??????
More Ironic

White Plains, NY

#10 Aug 23, 2007
What's even more ironic is that you are living in Georgia now Maxine and you have THE gaul to make a comment about someone living in Miller Place! No one wants to fund the tax burden this fire district creates including you. I bet I pay more in fire taxes to Gordon Heights Fire District than Georgia residents pay for their entire tax bill!
Enough

United States

#12 Aug 23, 2007
Enough is enough!! We are tired of paying 333% more taxes than the average fire department districts sometimes much bigger than Gordon Heights. Consolidation is the solution.
GHF District Tax Payer

Oakdale, NY

#13 Aug 23, 2007
This is about service - which can be provided by the other fire districs surrounding Gordon Heights Fire Department. Especially considering not all of the Gordon Heights residence support their own fire department. Some are covered by the other surrounding districts and pay far less in taxes. Not fair that those of us who are not residents of Gordon Heights, are farther from that fire house than we are to one of the other districts should foot the bill for Gordon Heights.
Ironic

United States

#14 Aug 23, 2007
First of all MAXINE seems an easy target.....I am here visiting since last week and will return to my home in Gordon Heights in a few days. Georgia is a big place and I really dont think Maxine has time for this crap right now.
Ironic

United States

#15 Aug 23, 2007
I see posts from all over the place including Atlanta, Florida and you didnt target anyone so why are you putting her name in here. This is teh kind of personal attack that has been going on since this started. I am a resident in that fire district, a member of the civic and I was born there so I can definitely speak for me without Maxine.
GIVE ME A BREAK

White Plains, NY

#16 Aug 23, 2007
A Gordon Heights Tax Payer (more likely a renter from the Coram side ) wrote " We love you and support you". That is really so funny. 50% of the Gordon Heights residents are not in the Gordon Heights Fire District (Some may support them with their mouth - but not with their POCKET). Then another 72% of the other HALF who are in the Fire District signed a notarized petition (technically valid or not) to DISSOLVE it ASAP. That leaves us 28% now take away another 15% who wanted to sign but were afraid (because they were told they would be left unprotected by false rumors and that no one would answer if they call 911.) Gee, that leaves 13%(WAIT, Take away another 5% who are members of the GH Fire District & Dept). WOW! THAT now LEAVES a whole 8% of the district taxpayers which is 4% of the Community who really love and support you. Face it, WE have the FACTS you only have the SMOKE AND MIRROR" Act you have been shoveling down Brookhaven's throat for years!
Coram FD

Warwick, NY

#17 Aug 23, 2007
Maxine should remember that she resides in the Coram Fire District, not the Gordon Heights Fire District. If she (and others on the Coram side of GH) are willing to fork over $ 1800.00+ for fire taxes to help support the GHFD, than please feel free to speak. Otherwise....
Ironic

United States

#18 Aug 23, 2007
This is how crap gets started. I am not Maxine! That girl has nothing to do with this yet you are maligning her. I am no fan, but this is not right. Deal with your issue stop putting people's name in here especially if you are assuming! You are just so WRONG to do this to someone based on a malicious assumption.
voice of reason

White Plains, NY

#19 Aug 23, 2007
crack pipe wrote:
<quoted text>
The place is a rat infested, crack house hell hole and should be nuked. What has Gordon Heights been deprived of? You mean nothing was given to them. The people that live their turned that area into a rat hole. Why should anyone else care?
obviously you haven't been in Gordon Heights lately. Most of the homes are lovely and maintained. This is a community with loving families and children. what about the successful Gordon Heights Day this year. We are looking to solve a tax problem not cast stones. The only issue here is providing protection at an affordable price.
Ed F

United States

#20 Aug 23, 2007
I find it very unfair that all the surrounding fire districts Coram, Yapank, Medford all are 3 to 4 times less than what I have been paying. I paid over 1500 in fire tax last year which is absurd. Please we need help resolving this issue.
MORE IRONIC

White Plains, NY

#21 Aug 23, 2007
Oh yes she does. She visited the weekend Gordon Heights had their anniversary. She was the ONLY one ranting and raving about the Fire District. It truly is near and dear to her and I can respect and appreciate that. HOWEVER, she and you also need to be reasonable and understand the district is BROKE and can't be fixed! It is unfair to the homeowners who are FORCED to supportthe escalating and out of line taxes each and every year. Majority rules in this country why is it being dismissed in this case. Finally you and I both know that if the Fire Commissioners were all WHITE in GH and were taxing African American homeowners these kinds of rates -all Hell would break loose! But for some reason, it is considered OK because it is an All Black Commissioner Fire District doing it. You disgust me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middle Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vodka Vic to hold fund raiser 5 hr a fan 4
Village doing Board Ups? 5 hr a fan 2
Solar farm in shoreham 8 hr Rollo 1
MBPOA Law suit 16 hr Really Brady 99
Dans Horse dead farm (Aug '13) 16 hr Tom 337
Sewer Systems 17 hr Jack Rooby 13
Poospatuck Unketchaug Reservation Close Smoke S... (May '11) 18 hr hoodo 18

Middle Island News Video

Middle Island Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Middle Island People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Middle Island News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Middle Island

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:56 am PST

ESPN 8:56AM
Sources: Ryan expects to be fired by Jets
NFL 9:05 AM
Jason Pierre-Paul: 'I think I'm worth a lot of money'
Bleacher Report 9:24 AM
Report: Jets HC Ryan 'Bracing for His Ouster'
Bleacher Report 6:10 PM
Could Cutler, Shanahan Reunion Work for Jets?
Bleacher Report 8:23 PM
RB Darkwa the Latest Giants Rookie to Shine