New York has a lot at stake in 2008 t...

New York has a lot at stake in 2008 tax debate

There are 25 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 21, 2008, titled New York has a lot at stake in 2008 tax debate. In it, Newsday reports that:

Do you ever get the feeling that your taxes are too low? Probably not. Last year, New Yorkers paid an average of $37.10 in taxes for every $100 earned.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Already taxed out

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#21 Jan 24, 2008
allen you are not understanding economics,, think of this a pair of levis was like $10,, designer jeans came out (jordash(sp, etc) regular jeans ROSE in price,,,you can argue that there is a "hidden" cost in prices that is about taxes, but there are other "hidden" costs too such as THEFT, etc. the simple fact is prices WILL NOT GO DOWN, but will GO UP. there will be an ADDED 23-30% cost on EVERYTHING to include ALL COMPONENTS TO THE FINISHED PRODUCT.

you say let's compare , you say 50% for the federal,,,the simple fact is it will be more, the cost for EVERYTHING will go up, and btw its not 50% for federal, a workingclass person and LOWER (lets say $50k and LESS) only really pays ss, the REST he gets back. ever wonder why people like FORBES are the ones pushing the "fair" tax,,,,,hmmmmmmmmmm
McCain Biz As Usual

Saline, MI

#22 Jan 24, 2008
Compare Mr. HUCKABEE, who has GOVERNED with common-sense ideas ( http://snipurl.com/govhealthfairtax ) to Mr. MCCAIN ( http://snipr.com/straighttalk ) and it's clear that McCain is an "old boy" member of THE SENATE CLUB who has essentially done little preserve the voice of the working American.

Compare Huckabee's visionary FAIRTAX ( http://snipr.com/nextrung ) to McCain's interest in the current tax system - IRS-oppressive to wage-earning families ( http://snipurl.com/irsmisconduct )- it's pretty easy to see who will lead us OUT of TAX SLAVERY ( http://snipr.com/taxburden )-$265 billion annual tax code compliance costs representing 5 billion wasted hours, annually.
Allen

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#23 Jan 25, 2008
Already taxed,
Plain old competition in the marketplace a basic economic principle.
Co A and Co B make the same item. Along comes the Fair Tax. Both companies find that they don't have any taxes to pay, which has always been worked into the cost of making their items.
Co A decides that since the tax cost is no longer there they will sell the item to the retailer at a lower price. Co B decides they wont change their price and just increase their profit.
Who will the retailer buy the item from? Company A will get the business.
The economists that developed the Fair Tax researched it thoroughly and found that on average 22% of the final price of an item is the imbedded taxes and compliance costs, nothing else (Theft, etc...).
It wouldn't be smart for a company not to lower prices to stay competitive.

Great! Working class get all their taxes back.
Under the Fair Tax, they would get all their paycheck and only pays the tax when they choose to.
BTW who cares what Forbes pushes and wealth envy is a waste of time and energy. I don't quite make 50K and I get all my income taxes refunded. I don't like the Fed stealing my money and it's none of anyones business how much money I make.

Already taxed, do you like the current system?
Hazmat

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#24 Jan 27, 2008
Allen...i think you directed your earlier response to me incorrectly.

I don't dispute that we need a new system, my reasons for not supporting Ron Paul is that while he has the most logical ideas, he is not dynamic enough to convince enough of the legislators to vote his way. He has accomplished nothing of substance during his political career.

I also haven't yet seen a valid response to the 20 years of publications under his name of racial and ethnic bigotry. What's the real story?
Allen

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#25 Jan 28, 2008
Hazmat, I don't know as much as you do about Ron Paul. His constitutionalism is really the only plus I see with him. As a member of the armed services, I can't follow his isolationist views.

I can't answer your last question for I am not familiar with the publications you mention.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middle Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Apt for rent Tue Mastoid 2
News Southampton Town Police reports (Feb '09) Jan 13 Mel Brooks 6
News Selden fire victim's family in shock (Feb '09) Jan 11 hipster 8
News Storm wallops LI roads, causing spin outs and s... Jan 10 positronium 7
horse boarding (Jan '13) Jan 10 Secretariat 77
attn Adoptees and Birthparents & Siblings Reunite! (Jan '12) Jan 8 joan 34
Village Taxes Jan 6 Badtothebone 2

Middle Island Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance