|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Facebook post from their site:

ANNOUNCEMENT:
Hello friends. This is a sad and difficult day for me. I'm so sad to have to announce that effectively immediately, we are closing the business. After much prayer and consideration over the past few months, we have decided that the time has come. It has been an amazing 2 years...the most fun and hardest I have ever worked in my life. I am beyond grateful for the the people who have been brought into my life through this adventure.

I cannot say enough 'thank you's to the people who were there everyday and made my dream a reality: my super supportive hubby Wes, my sister and partner Abby who worked countless hours for me, my Mom & Rodney who gave so much time and energy, and my dear, dear friend Erin Hall-all of without whom I could have NEVER, ever accomplished what we did. I LOVE YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH. To say thank you is not an accurate expression of my gratitude.

A HUGE thank you to all of YOU who supported us in Frankfort. We loved serving you. Thank you to the Hickson family for your love and support. Thank you to my part-time helpers Mattie Laughner, Tommy Schmaltz, Sarah Good, Keely Vega, Angie Dunk, BJ Prater, and Carly Yandell. Thank you Connie Pickard, Mandy Lane and Edy Wills for your help at our original location.

I WILL be filling any orders that have already been placed. I will be contacting you very soon to work out details. I apologize for any inconveniences this may cause to anyone.

And don't worry...I will still make cakes on the side.....and any of your other favorite sweets. I will keep this facebook page operational so you can still contact me here.

MUCH LOVE TO YOU ALL....... Amy with Abby Coapstick and 9 others at "Embellish" Custom Cakes by Amy.
Tired of all the Crooks

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

you must be exactly what your sign on name imples, a big looser. I did not patronize the business known as embellish but I did know of the Hickson's. This was just another family that had a dream and made the huge mistake of making franktucky the home of there business. They most likely was talked into this endeavor by people that ultimately only have their own interest in mind, namely a certain mainstreet window girl. because after all if she can have a business anyone can have one. However there is a Paul Harvey addition to this statement, you know, "the rest of the story" The only problem with this is that allot of people will not support the businesses downtown due to what I want to think is crooked corrupt people that run several of these downtown businesses. In reality it is most likely due to poor advertising/marketing, poor/inadequate parking availability, the current economic climate or just too much competition from the likes of your friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart. I do not have the answers to solve this issue as the town has hired much brighter people than I to perform this task, But then again, these issues are still not getting resolved....hummmmm. I applaud this family for giving it a try and if they were x-welfare junkies then they should be even more applauded for giving this dream a life. My only advise to them would be, next time go to Lafayette to open a business as Franktucky has shown over and over and yet over again that the powers that be are only interested in serving themselves. If you are as bright as you let on maybe you should team up with Kim Eldridge Stevens and invest in faith harvest markets (dba Flavors). However, only invest money that you don't ever intend to get back because the IRS and the State of Indiana are still trying to get theirs. Goodluck and put up or shut the hell up. Walk a mile or two in the hickson's shoes before lambashing them. they may not have been greatest people to do business with but at least they tried.
looser wrote:
Yeah yeah. Dream this + thank u that . And for the sake of who?? SUCKS WHEN IT TAKES SOME un-educated X WELLFAIR junkie. To come on topix via face book to tell us that she closed her cupcake dream. Worthlesss thanks hickey.
David

Samut Songkhram, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Tired of all the Crooks wrote:
you must be exactly what your sign on name imples, a big looser. I did not patronize the business known as embellish but I did know of the Hickson's. This was just another family that had a dream and made the huge mistake of making franktucky the home of there business. They most likely was talked into this endeavor by people that ultimately only have their own interest in mind, namely a certain mainstreet window girl. because after all if she can have a business anyone can have one. However there is a Paul Harvey addition to this statement, you know, "the rest of the story" The only problem with this is that allot of people will not support the businesses downtown due to what I want to think is crooked corrupt people that run several of these downtown businesses. In reality it is most likely due to poor advertising/marketing, poor/inadequate parking availability, the current economic climate or just too much competition from the likes of your friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart. I do not have the answers to solve this issue as the town has hired much brighter people than I to perform this task, But then again, these issues are still not getting resolved....hummmmm. I applaud this family for giving it a try and if they were x-welfare junkies then they should be even more applauded for giving this dream a life. My only advise to them would be, next time go to Lafayette to open a business as Franktucky has shown over and over and yet over again that the powers that be are only interested in serving themselves. If you are as bright as you let on maybe you should team up with Kim Eldridge Stevens and invest in faith harvest markets (dba Flavors). However, only invest money that you don't ever intend to get back because the IRS and the State of Indiana are still trying to get theirs. Goodluck and put up or shut the hell up. Walk a mile or two in the hickson's shoes before lambashing them. they may not have been greatest people to do business with but at least they tried. <quoted text>
Withholding employee Federal, State, County,Local taxes and FICA
from said employees and not depositing them is a FELONY.

Mcbarnes, the Frankfort Public Relations official, and all the local business people won't make that go away.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Although the closing of Embelish is disappointing, it is not uncommon in the world of small business. 95% of all small businesses close within their first 5 years: http://smallbiztrends.com/2013/03/infographic...

Running a small business is hard.

David

Samut Songkhram, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

At least Embellish ran their business properly.

Go to this website, select "Clinton County" and see over 100 businesses that have not. Some of those very same businesses are still open.

http://www.in.gov/apps/dor/rrmc/Default.aspx

And those are just unpaid sales tax issues.
observer

Noblesville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

What about the insinuations that "tired of all the crooks" has been made about Kim Stevens? If those are indeed factual, then it sounds like not paying taxes on employees is a great way to beat the 5 year odds.
tired of all the crooks

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

It has worked for her on more then just Faith Harvest Markets. Check out Celebrations from A to Z, when you get bored with that try Celebrations Catering.
Frankfort Life

Frankfort, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

you must be exactly what your sign on name imples, a big looser. I did not patronize the business known as embellish but I did know of the Hickson's. This was just another family that had a dream and made the huge mistake of making franktucky the home of there business. They most likely was talked into this endeavor by people that ultimately only have their own interest in mind, namely a certain mainstreet window girl. because after all if she can have a business anyone can have one. However there is a Paul Harvey addition to this statement, you know, "the rest of the story" The only problem with this is that allot of people will not support the businesses downtown due to what I want to think is crooked corrupt people that run several of these downtown businesses. In reality it is most likely due to poor advertising/marketing, poor/inadequate parking availability, the current economic climate or just too much competition from the likes of your friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart. I do not have the answers to solve this issue as the town has hired much brighter people than I to perform this task, But then again, these issues are still not getting resolved....hummmmm. I applaud this family for giving it a try and if they were x-welfare junkies then they should be even more applauded for giving this dream a life. My only advise to them would be, next time go to Lafayette to open a business as Franktucky has shown over and over and yet over again that the powers that be are only interested in serving themselves. If you are as bright as you let on maybe you should team up with Kim Eldridge Stevens and invest in faith harvest markets (dba Flavors). However, only invest money that you don't ever intend to get back because the IRS and the State of Indiana are still trying to get theirs. Goodluck and put up or shut the hell up. Walk a mile or two in the hickson's shoes before lambashing them. they may not have been greatest people to do business with but at least they tried. <quoted text>
Yes it is hard to start a new business in any town. But from what I read on their facebook page, it sounds to me like they had plenty of business. However it appears that they were inconsistent in how they operated.

From FACEBOOK

Oct. 3rd 2012 - Closing a little early today. Not feeling great, and I'm the only one here! See you tomorrow.
Oct 12th 2012 - We will NOT be serving lunch today, as we will transition to a new Friday menu for next week!
Dec. 7th 2012 - Closed a little early today. Rainy day blues...
Dec. 25th - FYI - We will not open in the morning. If all goes well be back Thursday.
Jan 2nd 2013 - Reminder: we will be closed this week and will reopen in Tuesday Jan 8!
Feb 13th 2013 - FYI: we will be closing today at 2pm to get the shop all ready for Valentines Day!
Feb 18th 2013 - WE WILL BE CLOSED ON TUESDAY TO REST AND RESTOCK FROM THE VALENTINES RUSH AND A VERY BUSY WEEKEND.
Feb 21, 2013 - Lunch is sold out today!
March 4, 2013 - Wes and I are out of town on business that is taking much longer than anticipated. We will likely be closed on Tuesday.
March 12, 2013 - Will open at 8:30 today!
March 21, 2013 - Lunch is sold out for today!!!
March 22, 2013 - FYI: We will be CLOSED the week of spring break! Super jealous of all of you who are heading to warmer weather but certainly wishing you a wonderful trip and safe travels!
March 23, 2013 - Donuts!! Open today 8-12, unless we sell out earlier! Open Sunday for donuts 7:30-9:30.
March 29, 2013 - Reminder: we are closed this weekend except for church donut orders on Sunday morning. Have a blessed Easter weekend! We will reopen for regular hours on Tuesday!
April 23, 2013 - We will be closed this week due to some personal issues. If you have orders for this week they will still be ready. I will contact you about pick up times!

Frankfort Life

Frankfort, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

Sorry for the double post above.

I don't know of any restaurants in Frankfort that ever sells out during lunch. If you sell out at lunch it sounds to me like your doing good business.

PLUS, whenever your starting a new business it takes many long hours of hard work to succeed. You can't just close here and there whenever you feel like it and then expect everyone to come back whenever your open. Each time that customer comes to your door and the sign says closed when your suppose to be open, that is one less customer returning.

I do not believe this is a "Frantuckey" issue. If they were constantly selling out of donuts and lunches then I would say it was an internal issue with the business itself.

However I do applaud them in their efforts. They seemed to be good people. Wish it would have worked out better for them.
auditor

Mishawaka, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Is it public info to see her time under the state payroll? Also her hubby that get pd. By tax payers. He was boasting about how many hours he's aloud to goof .
wtf

Frankfort, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

auditor wrote:
Is it public info to see her time under the state payroll? Also her hubby that get pd. By tax payers. He was boasting about how many hours he's aloud to goof .
He's aloud, huh?
Maybe

Frankfort, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

I know this post will disappear just like any other that doesn't kiss the Hicksons a**, but for me it was the attitudes every time I went in. I didn't go back after the second time of being treated like an inconvenience. The help in the back was always screwing around and I question the quality of the product anyway. I frequent Flavors-they are MUCH better, cleaner and friendlier!
Hmmm

Colombia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Did Kim's boy get the job of watering the flowers downtown?

He and Phillip's Greenhouse were bidding on the job.
Hmmm

Colombia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Maybe wrote:
I know this post will disappear just like any other that doesn't kiss the Hicksons a**, but for me it was the attitudes every time I went in. I didn't go back after the second time of being treated like an inconvenience. The help in the back was always screwing around and I question the quality of the product anyway. I frequent Flavors-they are MUCH better, cleaner and friendlier!
No... only the truthful ones do.

Funny how all the bitchers come out after they have closed up shop. I guess all of you know how to better do things.

Better? Cleaner? Friendlier? Interesting...
Tired of all the Crooks

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

You have got to be kidding, Better, Cleaner, Friendlier...... Reeeaaallly...WOW someone has really been living under the Franktucky Rock. Maybe you should ask some of her past business associates about the way she operates her businesses. Keep on drinking the Kool-Aid.
Maybe wrote:
observer

Jeffersonville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

You have got to be kidding, Better, Cleaner, Friendlier...... Reeeaaallly...WOW someone has really been living under the Franktucky Rock. Maybe you should ask some of her past business associates about the way she operates her businesses. Keep on drinking the Kool-Aid. <quoted text>
yes they should. Devore would openly talk with you about their getting screwed. Then go out
to Rossville and talk to downing. Then go and chat with her ex employees. Then go to farmers bank and find out... well you get the idea.
duh

Frankfort, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Why don't you just go talk to her or some of her recent employees? Leave Downing out of it!!
observer wrote:
<quoted text>
yes they should. Devore would openly talk with you about their getting screwed. Then go out
to Rossville and talk to downing. Then go and chat with her ex employees. Then go to farmers bank and find out... well you get the idea.
David

Jakarta, Indonesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2013

Judged:

observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell, I'll save you the time needed to do all of this. Now how long it will stay posted is questionable, but remember we cannot have truthful things staying on here too long...

Devores paid for 2 years of various taxes due to Steven's accountants messing it up for her. Now mind you, this and other tax issues in conjunction with the "accountant story" doesn't start with the Devores, it goes back a long long time ago.

Downing... well he gave her some money free and clear. After reading about him in the paper, either he is obnoxiously stupid, or way too nice. The people that Steven's surrounds herself with say he's a liar and has some other issues. The commoners say he has faults like everyone else but his heart seems to be right.

The employees??? Let's see. They had taxes and FICA withheld from their checks and it was never sent to the appropriate agencies. For those of you that don't know, that is against the law. That, too, was the accountants (that's plural again) fault.

The Bank, well it's also against the law for the bank to give out information about their clients, so there is no need in going there. But some of you readers already know the truth so it's a mute point.

So, there it is. As the Devores would say, "go to the courthouse and look it up for yourself" and " It's all there in black and white". They would also say, "We will be glad to show you anything you'd like".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Michigantown Discussions

Search the Michigantown Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Hot Dog Festival is it another Alive on 65 52 min Tidbit 24
ccso 55 min confused 1
im a potty mouth 10 hr truth teller 2
Blueberry hill pancake house. 14 hr truth teller 30
old cvs bulding 17 hr justsaying 9
health department 20 hr D B Cooper 2
More Hazardous Materials Coming to Frankfort Jul 21 lets eat 2
•••
•••