Three local districts earn piece of $...

Three local districts earn piece of $11M federal grant

There are 22 comments on the Journal and Courier story from Mar 24, 2014, titled Three local districts earn piece of $11M federal grant. In it, Journal and Courier reports that:

The Lafayette School Corp. is among three local and area school districts to land a part of about $11.1 million in federal 21st Century Community Learning Center grants announced Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Journal and Courier.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Punjab is

Michigantown, IN

#1 Mar 25, 2014
Congratulations to CSF for receiving a portion of this grant.

It will be interesting to see their plan on what they will use these funds for.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#2 Mar 25, 2014
This is good news for CSF. I would assume most of this funding would go towards shoring up the corporation's ESL program. CSF is doing horribly on standardized tests like ISTEP primarily because the students taking them don't have a good enough grasp of he English language, especially as the elementary school levels.

Let the 'we hate "Mexicans, they are all ILLEGAL' bashing begin..........
Excuse Me

Oak Brook, IL

#3 Mar 25, 2014
Not bashing but how can you not include those statistics into those figures?

I personally know of students active in the school district now who are robbed of their right to an education because their teachers are forced to cater to the Non- English speaking students.

Why should that student get priority of the other student?
punjab wrote:
This is good news for CSF. I would assume most of this funding would go towards shoring up the corporation's ESL program. CSF is doing horribly on standardized tests like ISTEP primarily because the students taking them don't have a good enough grasp of he English language, especially as the elementary school levels.
Let the 'we hate "Mexicans, they are all ILLEGAL' bashing begin..........
Scandal

Portage, MI

#4 Mar 25, 2014
Excuse Me wrote:
I personally know of students active in the school district now who are robbed of their right to an education because their teachers are forced to cater to the Non- English speaking students.
<quoted text>
Finally somebody with some brains on Topix!

Location hidden

#5 Mar 25, 2014
Excuse Me wrote:
<quoted text>
How exactly were these children "robbed on their right to an education"? Details please.

So should CSF have segregated schools based on a students level of English proficiency?
Excuse Me

Oak Brook, IL

#6 Mar 25, 2014
When a teacher is pulled away from teaching the class as a whole to focus on one particular child or children because they do not speak English. Another example one child may be struggling on one particular subject and has asked for the teachers help. This teachers cannot find the time because they are forced to help the non English speaking student.
You act as if this does not happen daily in our schools? Seriously?

No one ever mention the word segregation. This isn't the 60's.
My god- nice try but I am not here to argue with you Punjab! You just pulled the racist sarcasm card.

However, I am for one on enforcing immigration. That I will stand up for. These children or their parents cannot speak English yet they get free/reduced books/lunches, wear Abercrombie and the latest Nike's. All while their parents drop them off at school in their Cadillac Escalades and Hummers.
punjab wrote:
<quoted text>
How exactly were these children "robbed on their right to an education"? Details please.
So should CSF have segregated schools based on a students level of English proficiency?
Scandal

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Mar 25, 2014
I have talked to several teachers that have said that much of their time is taken up helping kids who don't speak English. No clue who excuse me is but they are dead on with their statements!
Excuse Me

Oak Brook, IL

#8 Mar 25, 2014
Thank-you! As I too know several CSF teachers personally. All have stated the same thing.
Scandal wrote:
I have talked to several teachers that have said that much of their time is taken up helping kids who don't speak English. No clue who excuse me is but they are dead on with their statements!

Location hidden

#9 Mar 25, 2014
Excuse Me wrote:
You act as if this does not happen daily in our schools? Seriously?
Oh, I know that it happens daily. There will always be children who need more individualized attention.
Excuse Me wrote:
No one ever mention the word segregation. This isn't the 60's.
My god- nice try but I am not here to argue with you Punjab! You just pulled the racist sarcasm card.
What is your solution then? Don't allow a child to attend a CSF school until he/she can show some level of proficiency in the English language? Segregate children not at a school level but at the classroom level, i.e. all of the ESL student in their own classroom? Please provide what you would believe to be the ideal solution to this problem of native-English speaking students getting less classroom attention that ESL student.
Excuse Me wrote:
However, I am for one on enforcing immigration. That I will stand up for. These children or their parents cannot speak English yet they get free/reduced books/lunches, wear Abercrombie and the latest Nike's. All while their parents drop them off at school in their Cadillac Escalades and Hummers.
<quoted text>
How can you prove that the parent driving an expensive vehicle has a child on the free/reduced lunch/book program?

What do you mean by 'enforcing imimgration'? And are not most of these young elementary school aged children American citizens by law?
Punjab is

Michigantown, IN

#10 Mar 25, 2014
Excuse Me wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't place blame squarely on legal or illegal and close your case.

Indiana Govt has forced a ridiculous program on the public schools.

Parents don't get as involved with the kids as well as the schools. They believe it is fully the schools responsibility to get children educated.

Teachers themselves need to start holding back kids that don't meet certain state standards, but if they attempt to do that, then the administration comes down on them because we can't have kids being held back. Why? Because the state penalizes schools. It's a double edged sword.

What the State wants is privatized schooling so parents can pay for the schooling with minimal funding from the state. Looks good on paper, but fails miserably when you take into account that only 50 percent of teachers need to be licensed for private and charter schools where as all teachers must be licensed in public schools.

Let's not forget that private and charter schools don't have to administer the same tests that public schools do. So how does one measure equally the standards of a charter student to a public school student? They don't, and that's a crock of crap

Back to the language barrier aspect of the problem, there should be a state funded program for public schools to test kindergarten enrollees to see how they fair in regards to verbal language abilities. Then the teachers and schools would have the abilities to identify, postpone enrollment, or create extra classes (that parents or guardians would be required to pay for) to help these kids when they are young and impressionable.

Say what you want, but this problem of legal versus illegal isn't the kids fault and they should not suffer because of bad decisions made by their parents.

Of course someone will be complaining that it's our tax dollars that fund these kids and they will be right. But I didn't hear many of you complaining when the city and county gave money to Ivy Tech (a state funded school by our tax dollars along with student tuition), when the chamber blew money on their failed project, and other assorted no return on investment projects.

Since: Sep 11

Michigantown, IN

#11 Mar 25, 2014
Here's a thought. How about not allowing the student to start school until the parents show citizenship? Most of the children are legal. That's why the parents came here. To have a child on American soil thus, would automatically become a citizen I know I know make the children suffer?(Agreeing with most posts on this forum), due to the language barrier, too much time is spent teaching English and not teaching and preparing the class as a whole

Michigantown, IN

#12 Mar 25, 2014
Punjab is wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't place blame squarely on legal or illegal and close your case.
Indiana Govt has forced a ridiculous program on the public schools.
Parents don't get as involved with the kids as well as the schools. They believe it is fully the schools responsibility to get children educated.
Teachers themselves need to start holding back kids that don't meet certain state standards, but if they attempt to do that, then the administration comes down on them because we can't have kids being held back. Why? Because the state penalizes schools. It's a double edged sword.
What the State wants is privatized schooling so parents can pay for the schooling with minimal funding from the state. Looks good on paper, but fails miserably when you take into account that only 50 percent of teachers need to be licensed for private and charter schools where as all teachers must be licensed in public schools.
Let's not forget that private and charter schools don't have to administer the same tests that public schools do. So how does one measure equally the standards of a charter student to a public school student? They don't, and that's a crock of crap
Back to the language barrier aspect of the problem, there should be a state funded program for public schools to test kindergarten enrollees to see how they fair in regards to verbal language abilities. Then the teachers and schools would have the abilities to identify, postpone enrollment, or create extra classes (that parents or guardians would be required to pay for) to help these kids when they are young and impressionable.
Say what you want, but this problem of legal versus illegal isn't the kids fault and they should not suffer because of bad decisions made by their parents.
Of course someone will be complaining that it's our tax dollars that fund these kids and they will be right. But I didn't hear many of you complaining when the city and county gave money to Ivy Tech (a state funded school by our tax dollars along with student tuition), when the chamber blew money on their failed project, and other assorted no return on investment projects.
. I agree with most of your post. However in this economy we have many single parent homes. Those homes are doing their best. Albeit, sadly in Clinton County we also have many white single parents on Government assistance not paying any attention to their children. Clinton County is just in sad shape. As you stated. I fear the money CSF receives will be spent on something stupid like "status quo" big ol sign. We will never know.
Punjab is

Michigantown, IN

#13 Mar 25, 2014
Richelle M Lutz wrote:
Here's a thought. How about not allowing the student to start school until the parents show citizenship? Most of the children are legal. That's why the parents came here. To have a child on American soil thus, would automatically become a citizen I know I know make the children suffer?(Agreeing with most posts on this forum), due to the language barrier, too much time is spent teaching English and not teaching and preparing the class as a whole
Then you punish a child. They can't be held accountable for their parents decisions. Do that and, in 15 or so years, you'll make the govt assistance program more overloaded than what it currently is.

Coming here to have kids??? I thought that the overwhelming majority of people came to America for jobs, freedom, and a better quality of life.

The "having kids to get on the system" has been going on long before people started complaining about the influx of Hispanics.
Punjab is

Michigantown, IN

#14 Mar 25, 2014
Richelle M Lutz wrote:
<quoted text>. I agree with most of your post. However in this economy we have many single parent homes. Those homes are doing their best. Albeit, sadly in Clinton County we also have many white single parents on Government assistance not paying any attention to their children. Clinton County is just in sad shape. As you stated. I fear the money CSF receives will be spent on something stupid like "status quo" big ol sign. We will never know.
I didn't say the money would be misused. These funds have specified uses.

I just wonder how CSF will use it to better their educational situation.
Punjab is

Michigantown, IN

#17 Mar 25, 2014
From the online Frankfort Times:

Frankfort school leaders who collaborated on a grant renewal application earlier this school year met Monday to discuss their options after learning the state cut their award by more than 40 percent.

The reduction constitutes a half-million-dollar funding cut for Frankfort schools over the next four years.

Superintendent Don DeWeese said the district he steers was awarded just $175,000 this year, instead of the requested renewal amount,$300,000, which Frankfort schools have received annually for the past five years to fund a variety of after-school programs for elementary, middle and high school students.

If nothing changes, the new award amount will stay in effect four years and five months, according to an award announcement from the Indiana Department of Education.

DeWeese said, however, that there are still some loose ends.

“We’re going to do some more investigating because we may need to resubmit the grant,” he said, noting that he should know more in a week or two.

DeWeese said the future of after-school programming at Frankfort Middle School and Frankfort High School is uncertain because the initial response he received from the IDOE indicated that Frankfort’s new grant money should only fund programming at the elementary level, the district’s “priority schools.”

“Those are our schools with the lowest school grade,” he said.

The funding cut could inhibit collaboration with other local service organizations, such as the Boys & Girls Club and YMCA, which got some of the school’s $300,000 grant money in years past, according to DeWeese.

“We also paid for some COACH Kids and some retired teachers to do some tutoring,” he added.

Melinda Grismer, lifelong learning coordinator and community development educator with the Purdue Extension Learning Network of Clinton County, drafted the grant renewal application, according to DeWeese.

Grismer met Monday to discuss the funding cut with DeWeese and Purdue Extension educator Esmeralda Cruz, whom DeWeese said was instrumental in hammering out the details in how Frankfort schools would collaborate with other agencies to serve local students.

Frankfort schools were one of 53 organizations granted state funds this week through the 21st Century Community Learning Center program, which already funds another 24 organizations, according to the IDOE.

Those 77 organizations serve 253 sites across the state for the stated purpose of assisting the students of what the IDOE describes as “high-poverty and low-performing schools.”

Michigantown, IN

#18 Mar 25, 2014
From my understanding from talking with many teachers in the CSF. Afterschool projects and tudoring is not really the problem in the educational facilities anymore. The State has mandated so much useless "paperwork" on the teachers , very little of their day is allowed for "old fashioned" teaching ! True, a part of the emphasis needs to be put on better parenting however, I can honestly say , not one time in my life did my parents sit down with me and help me with homework. In my time, sad to say, they never even asked. Difference is I loved scthool and strived to do good regardless. I really have no answers as, how to we hold parents more accountable. If I knew that, we would not need a Government assistance office in Clinton County! Just countinue to hold the CSF responsible. If you see something you don't like, your a taxpayer, go to the Schoolboard and tell them. It's your right. Your taxes are paying to school all of the children that go there. Whether you like it or not
Freedom

Frankfort, IN

#19 Mar 26, 2014
punjab wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I know that it happens daily. There will always be children who need more individualized attention.
<quoted text>
What is your solution then? Don't allow a child to attend a CSF school until he/she can show some level of proficiency in the English language? Segregate children not at a school level but at the classroom level, i.e. all of the ESL student in their own classroom? Please provide what you would believe to be the ideal solution to this problem of native-English speaking students getting less classroom attention that ESL student.
<quoted text>
How can you prove that the parent driving an expensive vehicle has a child on the free/reduced lunch/book program?
What do you mean by 'enforcing imimgration'? And are not most of these young elementary school aged children American citizens by law?
Why can't their be a separate class for the kids that can write and speak English be moved ahead of the ones your speaking of? Do you not like that idea Punjab? Are you scared this would be discriminating against the kids that can't keep up? Why don't you provide me a solution as to why the kids that are far ahead have to stay back with the ones you speak of. Are we all the same forever and get the same treatment forever? No, you get left behind if your behind in times and education. As far as free lunches go, well, nearly 80% of the students are on the free/reduced program in the elementary schools, so I don't think it would be to hard to point out a car that pulls up to say they are free/reduced. I like my chances. Just go look at the numbers, Punjab, the free/reduced is getting worse and the number of hispanics is more than half now in the elmentary schools. That should tell you something.
OKEY DOKEY

Goshen, IN

#20 Mar 27, 2014
I for one am not against anyone coming to the US to make a better life for themselves and their families however, it needs to be done legally. I have lived here all my life and raised 2 kids here that went to CSF and I know how it works. My kids were left behind because the teachers were too busy working with kids that couldn't speak English. That wasn't fair to my kids, and yes I was a concerned parent that helped with homework etc. My only gripe is that everyone living here needs to learn the language, get a legal driver's license, and obey the laws of the US. I don't think this is being prejudice at all. If I moved to Mexico I should be expected to learn Spanish, and obey their laws. Whose insurance goes up every time someone has a accident and doesn't have a license? Whose taxes goes up to pay for education ? Well I've said my peace but this all has to stop. No I don't know the answer but I would think the schools could put together some kind of program that wouldn't hold back the advanced kids because others can't keep up. Doesn't matter what ethnic background they come from.
OKEY DOKEY

Goshen, IN

#21 Mar 27, 2014
Sorry I meant to say if someone has an accident and doesn't have insurance...not a license.

Michigantown, IN

#22 Mar 27, 2014
OKEY DOKEY wrote:
I for one am not against anyone coming to the US to make a better life for themselves and their families however, it needs to be done legally. I have lived here all my life and raised 2 kids here that went to CSF and I know how it works. My kids were left behind because the teachers were too busy working with kids that couldn't speak English. That wasn't fair to my kids, and yes I was a concerned parent that helped with homework etc. My only gripe is that everyone living here needs to learn the language, get a legal driver's license, and obey the laws of the US. I don't think this is being prejudice at all. If I moved to Mexico I should be expected to learn Spanish, and obey their laws. Whose insurance goes up every time someone has a accident and doesn't have a license? Whose taxes goes up to pay for education ? Well I've said my peace but this all has to stop. No I don't know the answer but I would think the schools could put together some kind of program that wouldn't hold back the advanced kids because others can't keep up. Doesn't matter what ethnic background they come from.
. Agreed!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michigantown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drug problem in Frankfort 3 hr STFU 19
Is Donald Trump the anti-Christ? (Nov '15) 22 hr operation gladio 21
Why errbody hatin on J Roc? Jun 25 King of All Wieners 23
Any where to camp around here (May '15) Jun 19 King of all Wieners 6
Sad for Frankfort Jun 19 King of all Wieners 10
Sports complex Jun 17 Semper Fi 37
I'll say it (Nov '15) Jun 15 King of all Wieners 4

Michigantown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance