20-vehicle I-94 pileup near Michigan ...

20-vehicle I-94 pileup near Michigan City shuts westbound lanes

There are 24 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 20, 2008, titled 20-vehicle I-94 pileup near Michigan City shuts westbound lanes. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A chain-reaction crash involving more than 20 trucks and cars has closed all westbound lanes of Interstate Highway 94 for a 9-mile stretch near Michigan City, Ind., Indiana State Police said Wednesday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SokaL

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Feb 20, 2008
Wow... Dat sucks, Hope everyone has full coverage policies on their whips.
PDQ

Lombard, IL

#2 Feb 20, 2008
My thoughts and prayers to all involved in that wreck.

Having driven that road many times in the snow and ice it is a very dangerous stretch. However, most people in that area do realize it and drive slowly. Although some think it is okay and drive fast right past you- and then a little bit down the road you see them in a ditch or up against the wall.

It is an amazing picture and to have little injuries reported just shows that speed was not a factor in this crash.
GRRRRRRRRRRR

Lake In The Hills, IL

#3 Feb 20, 2008
This doesn't surprise me at all. That has always been a bad area in the winter and IDOT (Indiana) doesnt take care of the roads the way they should. They dont believe in putting down sand or salt making for trecherous travel around the lake.
nihil

Merrillville, IN

#4 Feb 20, 2008
Anyone else notice the westbound lane's pavement is nice and clean and the accident side is covered in snow and ice? Also, they just cleaned up and accident in the exact same spot yesterday.
Cheap-shot

Lincolnwood, IL

#6 Feb 20, 2008
I drove that route for years and it does not suprise me that his happened because every one speeds and tail-gates on the highway. Suks-to-be-them
truthout

Oak Park, IL

#7 Feb 20, 2008
Weather and speed were factors. Big surprise.
When are all you idiots who go TOO fast in BAD weather going to just effing SLOW down?
Would it kill ya to just slow it down a little?
There is practically no weather that one can't get through if you just drive sensibly. To the jerk that caused the accident...are you happy now? Did you get to work any faster?
Idiot.
Persnickety

United States

#8 Feb 20, 2008
nihil wrote:
Anyone else notice the westbound lane's pavement is nice and clean and the accident side is covered in snow and ice?
Evidently it continued to snow after the accident, and plows cleared the EB lanes of I-94 and those on the overpass.
Sick of Winter

United States

#9 Feb 20, 2008
I have been on the Tri-State and I-94 roadways during many snowstorms this winter. The semitailer trucks that I encounter during these storms either drive 15 mph or 70 mph. There's no happy medium with these guys. Small wonder that they tangled it up this morning.

“Kiss my American.......”

Since: Dec 07

USA

#10 Feb 20, 2008
YIKES! That had to hurt! Hope everyone is okay.
Call me Al

Schaumburg, IL

#11 Feb 20, 2008
When will these truckers learn how to drive?
DemRats

New York, NY

#12 Feb 20, 2008
I drive this stretch on a biweekly basis, all the way to MI state line. These trailers are a menace. They think they own the road. Last Monday, the conditions were horrible, and yet these trailers would come very close to my car and then change lanes. I counted in exces of 20 double/tripe rig trailers crusing past me. Mind you, this was a white out condition, traffic was going around 30-35 mph and yet some of these fools wanted to press their luck and speed on by.

The IDOT, MDOT need to get their act together as well, as these roads are just horrible. Where is the police during the inclment weather. I see them all the time with a radar gun when the sun is out.
ETF1001

United States

#13 Feb 20, 2008
Sick of Winter wrote:
I have been on the Tri-State and I-94 roadways during many snowstorms this winter. The semitailer trucks that I encounter during these storms either drive 15 mph or 70 mph. There's no happy medium with these guys. Small wonder that they tangled it up this morning.
Thank you! You have to be on guard driving I-94.
Those truckers are overboard at times - they keep an accident going!
I am surprised it is not worse! That will be coming up shortly.
Bob

United States

#14 Feb 20, 2008
Why am I NOT surprised?

I drive the Tollways and Interstates as little as possible for this very reason. Very few drivers AND SEASONED LONG HAUL TRUCK DRIVERS read road conditions properly. Many have the attitude that slowed down drivers are "idiots" that are "in my way" and to be passed any cost. As a result they put themselves and everyone around them in jepordy. The cops do NOTHING.

Stay away from Tollways and Interstates during inclemenent weather. The daredevil Evil Knevels will be out there and they know the right speed, just ask em.
Dirty Lyle

Chicago, IL

#15 Feb 20, 2008
Note to truckers: Less pill poppin' and more road watchin'. 10-4
Info

United States

#16 Feb 20, 2008
Remember, Indiana SOLD this highway to a foreign corporation for a lot of money. I don't think that company cares much about the condition of the highway (snow, ice, etc.) Since the State of Indiana no longer ownes or operates this road, I doubt INDOT cares either.
BJ McKay

Robbins, IL

#17 Feb 20, 2008
Hey there where ya goin',
Not exactly knowin'
Who says you have to call just one place home.

I just keeps on movin',
Ladies keep improvin'
Every day is better than the last.
New dreams and better scenes,
And best of all I don't pay property tax.

Rollin' down to Dallas,
Who's providin' my palace,
Off to New Orleans or who knows where.
Places new and ladies, too,
I'm B.J. McKay and this is my best friend Bear.
Tim

Batavia, IL

#18 Feb 20, 2008
Info wrote:
Remember, Indiana SOLD this highway to a foreign corporation for a lot of money. I don't think that company cares much about the condition of the highway (snow, ice, etc.) Since the State of Indiana no longer ownes or operates this road, I doubt INDOT cares either.
Um, that was the Indiana Toll Road. This accident did not happen on the Toll Road.
Tim

Batavia, IL

#19 Feb 20, 2008
I think I'm more disturbed by the fact that the Indiana DOT doesn't seem to be trying to clear the accident scene yet. You can bet that if this had happened someplace like the Kennedy, the Illinois DOT "minutemen" would have just slashed and burned it all by now and reopened the road.
chicago773

Chicago, IL

#20 Feb 20, 2008
Can those truckers SLOW DOWN!?!?! They think in storms/rain/heavy blizzards, icy roads, etc. that that's the red light for them to go faster than cars. Guess not huh???
Skye Smith

Chesterfield, MO

#21 Feb 20, 2008
I drive that expressway all the time. I knew if people didnt slow down this would happen. Even in 0 Visibility due to rain or snow they will flash their lights pushing you faster and trying to move you aside. what I say to that....

SLOW DOWN!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michigan City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wanted: Willard Eugene Dillon III Mar 5 corruption killer 5
News Registered sex offendera s involvement in parks... (Apr '15) Feb '17 Offender 164239 2
News Nursing Assistant Arrested After Posting Video ... (Feb '16) Feb '16 BJMcKay 1
News Michigan City girl dead after being beaten by p... (Sep '08) Dec '15 Corruption Killer 38
News Indiana Supreme Court Denies Request To Review ... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Corruption Killer 1
Martha Drake Nurse Practioner (Sep '15) Sep '15 Portage resident 1
News Longtime state Rep. Bill Crawford dies (Sep '15) Sep '15 Learn to Read 2

Michigan City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Michigan City Mortgages