Comments
41 - 60 of 61 Comments Last updated Aug 17, 2012
big egg

United States

#43 Aug 13, 2012
doug wrote:
You ppl keep saying youre proud michie is growing, hell, where is it growing? I havent seen a thing. What this town needs is new fresh blood with a vision. It doesnt matter if its a gray/baker, just as long as they have a vision. To me, it seems like our politicans are happy with the way things are,I for one am not, things can always be made better.We need a newer fire dept with better equipted trucks, we need a local sub-station police station, a few fast food places, a better bigger park, and all this can be done with a little inictive. Better street lighting would also help. Michie is dieing, but its not dead, it can be revived, and should be revived. This town is worth fighting for, but honestly, we need fresh new blood, our politicans we have now seem to thank that going to church, helping in the ball park, and volunteering will make michie grow. Well, thats all good and fine, but the only thing that is going to make michie grow is its citizens getting involved, and our local politicans get off their ass and do their jobs, or resign and let others try. we need ppl to run against these who have been here in office so long taht they got cobwebs growing on their confederate uniforms. Hell, I have lived here for 15 years-[formally from corinth]-I just might toss my hat in the election circle. LOL
I agree with some of what you are saying. A police substation should be here. From the rumors I've heard ( and some of the county deputies )said the say thing,I've been told that we have a problem with drug traffic from migrating from the corinth area to Michie, this along with what we already have in the community needs stopped.
As far as fast food places Michie does not have the demographics to sustain anything other than a mom and pop place on a daily basis.
The city meetings are open to the public, become involved and attend and offer up suggestions. Along with what we would like to see in Michie suggestions for funding these projects would also be welcome.
The fire dept. does need a make over,Michie volunteer fire department at one time was the pride of the county.It is a considered a joke by many now.
Suggestions anyone?
Game room ? Community trade day?
Farmers market?
This forum as well as city hall is open and ready for suggestions and input.
I'm ready and willing to do my part, and no I'm not a Grey or Baker nor am I related to them.I am a citizen and property owner who has lived here many years and know that the local elected officials are no more to blame than than the citizens who sit back and complain but don't become involved.
Thought

United States

#44 Aug 13, 2012
Yes we get a good police station here that would help sooo much! The theifs and drugs would thin out enough that folks could and can live here ! That came first rest of good will follow. Don't get me wrong police do respond in resonable time if you need them but if we had our own dept. Officers on duty 7/24 only in michie area be best ever happen more people will live stay and move here. Just me.
SANDY GRAY BROWDER

Corinth, MS

#45 Aug 13, 2012
I have something to say to all y'all voters and citizens of Michie. If the Bakers and the Grays had not pulled together and done what little they have done there would not be a Michie. So the next time you vote you just might want to think about that. As for Anthony Smith, He is a good man has a bussiness of his own in this community and it is growing. AS for the Gray Family< I think you need to watch you are talking about.
Tracy vanderford

United States

#46 Aug 14, 2012
If everyone supported all small businesses like the bakers do in this small town we may all prosper more. I havnt been here as long as some, but I know what I see. Not what I hear from people sitting on their couch putting down hard working . God fearing , just plain good people. Thanks!!!
Sighh

United States

#47 Aug 14, 2012
Ill tell you what Michie needs!!

SLUGBURGERS!!
With mustard, onion & pickles...

Leave the people alone and lets EAT!
Sighh

United States

#48 Aug 14, 2012
Oh wait .. Anthony Smith sells slug burgers ...
I just miss the Cafes we used to have...
What happened to Betty Lou's little stand there at her house?
I miss her cooking....
Doug

United States

#49 Aug 15, 2012
SANDY GRAY BROWDER wrote:
I have something to say to all y'all voters and citizens of Michie. If the Bakers and the Grays had not pulled together and done what little they have done there would not be a Michie. So the next time you vote you just might want to think about that. As for Anthony Smith, He is a good man has a bussiness of his own in this community and it is growing. AS for the Gray Family< I think you need to watch you are talking about.
Tell us, what have they done. How is michie growing, it has a drug store, dollar store, bank, med clinic, church, convenicence store---it has had those for years, what has happened lately, growing, I think not.Michie cant even afford its citizens a full time fire dept, and you call that success? Lady, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. What Michie needs is leadership, good leadership!
big egg

United States

#50 Aug 15, 2012
Doug wrote:
<quoted text>Tell us, what have they done. How is michie growing, it has a drug store, dollar store, bank, med clinic, church, convenicence store---it has had those for years, what has happened lately, growing, I think not.Michie cant even afford its citizens a full time fire dept, and you call that success? Lady, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. What Michie needs is leadership, good leadership!
Two medical clinics, a drugstore,a dollar store that weren't there years ago. Michie considering its population has grown considerably. There are people moving here every year. There are new houses every where. Tell me what part of that isn't growth.
I'm sure the leadership of Michie would love input from it's citizens on funding a fire department. All communities would love to have the answer to that question.
If your not happy with the leadership, don't point fingers, run for election, change things.
doug

United States

#51 Aug 15, 2012
big egg wrote:
<quoted text>
Two medical clinics, a drugstore,a dollar store that weren't there years ago. Michie considering its population has grown considerably. There are people moving here every year. There are new houses every where. Tell me what part of that isn't growth.
I'm sure the leadership of Michie would love input from it's citizens on funding a fire department. All communities would love to have the answer to that question.
If your not happy with the leadership, don't point fingers, run for election, change things.
I agree with most of what you say, but just as many new houses, there are just as many empty"new" houses also. No one has the magic answer, wish I did. And I dont meant to sound like pointing fingers, If michie is growing as much as you say, then there should be more funds to help fund the fire dept, wouldnt you say? These guys work hard, and for no pay, this is a disgrace, to me, to you, and to all of michie. What is the salary for mayor, is it in alliance with other towns the size of michie, or is it way above, or way below? Run for mayor, heck, thats an idea, just might do that. Im not a politician, thats the problem with things today, to many politicans. I also agree that we all need to get involved more. There are many ways to raise additional funds, like how about trying to get a carnival to visit, a michie idol contest, haunted house for halloween, no, it wont bring in a load of money, but it would help. Im not intending to put anyone down, but we need new fresh blood, new ideas. Its human nature, when one has been in a job too long they become like tadpoles in a puddle of stagnated water, there is nothing to do , nowhere to go. And yes, a 24/7 fast food place on 57 would work, its a major hwy, constantly traveled. Has the politicians ever even tried to locate a industry here? And if/when michie raised funds as stated above, will the money be spent wisely, or will it go for something stupid? Who knows.
big egg

United States

#52 Aug 15, 2012
doug wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with most of what you say, but just as many new houses, there are just as many empty"new" houses also. No one has the magic answer, wish I did. And I dont meant to sound like pointing fingers, If michie is growing as much as you say, then there should be more funds to help fund the fire dept, wouldnt you say? These guys work hard, and for no pay, this is a disgrace, to me, to you, and to all of michie. What is the salary for mayor, is it in alliance with other towns the size of michie, or is it way above, or way below? Run for mayor, heck, thats an idea, just might do that. Im not a politician, thats the problem with things today, to many politicans. I also agree that we all need to get involved more. There are many ways to raise additional funds, like how about trying to get a carnival to visit, a michie idol contest, haunted house for halloween, no, it wont bring in a load of money, but it would help. Im not intending to put anyone down, but we need new fresh blood, new ideas. Its human nature, when one has been in a job too long they become like tadpoles in a puddle of stagnated water, there is nothing to do , nowhere to go. And yes, a 24/7 fast food place on 57 would work, its a major hwy, constantly traveled. Has the politicians ever even tried to locate a industry here? And if/when michie raised funds as stated above, will the money be spent wisely, or will it go for something stupid? Who knows.
The mayor and aldermen salaries are nominal,and fresh ideas need brought to the city meetings. The housing market woes are nation wide. The houses that sit empty are not the failing of Michie but the failing of the economy in general.
I disagree with you on the fast food place on 57. 57 is a truck route and truckers mostly local arent going to hit a fast food joint.there's just not enough traffic to support a chain. Michie use to do a haunted house, it was volunteer and always a big hit. I'd like to see that again as well. I'm sure that if put on the table it would receive attention.
I think the key to bringing Michie back to a stellar point is involvement. The good people of Michie far out number the riff raff and pulling together as a community would generate interest from every one. I also think that the finger pointing, blame laying and personal animosities are as much of the problem as the lack of involvement by the general population or the politicians. I have found that the first thing that quits working when anger enters a debate is people's ability to hear.
doug

United States

#53 Aug 15, 2012
big egg wrote:
<quoted text>
The mayor and aldermen salaries are nominal,and fresh ideas need brought to the city meetings. The housing market woes are nation wide. The houses that sit empty are not the failing of Michie but the failing of the economy in general.
I disagree with you on the fast food place on 57. 57 is a truck route and truckers mostly local arent going to hit a fast food joint.there's just not enough traffic to support a chain. Michie use to do a haunted house, it was volunteer and always a big hit. I'd like to see that again as well. I'm sure that if put on the table it would receive attention.
I think the key to bringing Michie back to a stellar point is involvement. The good people of Michie far out number the riff raff and pulling together as a community would generate interest from every one. I also think that the finger pointing, blame laying and personal animosities are as much of the problem as the lack of involvement by the general population or the politicians. I have found that the first thing that quits working when anger enters a debate is people's ability to hear.
I agree totally. we all should be pulling together, nothing worth fighting for comes easy. What you think about the carnival idea and michie idol, I belive those two things would pull ppl in from the surrounding areas such as selmer and corinth. We just need to make sure theyre not scheluled when something else is going on in a neighboring town. I didnt mean to imply that the failing houseing issue was because of the mayor etc, that is national as we all know. When is the next town meeting, and where is it held, as shameful to admit, I have never been to one, mainly bc I used to work 7 at night till 7 in the morning. I also agree, the good ppl far out number the bad, and maybe, just maybe, if we had something for the young ppl to do theyd also take pride and interest in this town. Im sure you will agree with me that we cant please everyone, but we can make it better, there is always room for improvement, no matter how good or bad the situration is.
big egg

United States

#54 Aug 15, 2012
doug wrote:
<quoted text>I agree totally. we all should be pulling together, nothing worth fighting for comes easy. What you think about the carnival idea and michie idol, I belive those two things would pull ppl in from the surrounding areas such as selmer and corinth. We just need to make sure theyre not scheluled when something else is going on in a neighboring town. I didnt mean to imply that the failing houseing issue was because of the mayor etc, that is national as we all know. When is the next town meeting, and where is it held, as shameful to admit, I have never been to one, mainly bc I used to work 7 at night till 7 in the morning. I also agree, the good ppl far out number the bad, and maybe, just maybe, if we had something for the young ppl to do theyd also take pride and interest in this town. Im sure you will agree with me that we cant please everyone, but we can make it better, there is always room for improvement, no matter how good or bad the situration is.
Both ideas need brought up in the city meetings as well as others. I personally would love to an old time carnival with maybe a horse shoe tournament, maybe a mud race, or greased pig race for the kids. Have the local business's sponsor the events with prize money which would be tax deductible. A dunking booth with the local politicians as targets, the city could cook and sell burgers,soft drinks etc. which if approached properly I'm sure could be obtained thru donations.
I own a business and would gladly sponsor an event with prize money.
A fall festival so to speak with proceeds going to a community development program.
There are endless possibilities
A turkey shoot, a punt,pass, and kick contest for different age groups ( school age only) an egg toss ?
big egg

United States

#55 Aug 15, 2012
doug wrote:
<quoted text>I agree totally. we all should be pulling together, nothing worth fighting for comes easy. What you think about the carnival idea and michie idol, I belive those two things would pull ppl in from the surrounding areas such as selmer and corinth. We just need to make sure theyre not scheluled when something else is going on in a neighboring town. I didnt mean to imply that the failing houseing issue was because of the mayor etc, that is national as we all know. When is the next town meeting, and where is it held, as shameful to admit, I have never been to one, mainly bc I used to work 7 at night till 7 in the morning. I also agree, the good ppl far out number the bad, and maybe, just maybe, if we had something for the young ppl to do theyd also take pride and interest in this town. Im sure you will agree with me that we cant please everyone, but we can make it better, there is always room for improvement, no matter how good or bad the situration is.
The city meetings are at 7 pm on the fourth Monday of each month
big egg

United States

#56 Aug 15, 2012
doug wrote:
The meetings are at the city hall ( water plant) behind the ole montery
Yep

United States

#57 Aug 15, 2012
Doug wrote:
<quoted text>Tell us, what have they done. How is michie growing, it has a drug store, dollar store, bank, med clinic, church, convenicence store---it has had those for years, what has happened lately, growing, I think not.Michie cant even afford its citizens a full time fire dept, and you call that success? Lady, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. What Michie needs is leadership, good leadership!
Just wandering if you have ever thought of what the salary of 3 full-time fireman would cost? I'm just guessing but I would say 120,000 to 150,000 a tear combined. The only way a small city can afford something like that is to impose a city property tax which there would probably be 90percent to oppose it. Festivals are a very good idea but the city can't depend on that to set a budget with.
big egg

United States

#58 Aug 15, 2012
Yep wrote:
<quoted text>Just wandering if you have ever thought of what the salary of 3 full-time fireman would cost? I'm just guessing but I would say 120,000 to 150,000 a tear combined. The only way a small city can afford something like that is to impose a city property tax which there would probably be 90percent to oppose it. Festivals are a very good idea but the city can't depend on that to set a budget with.
Not to set a budget but to help with community development as to where the funding might become available. It might also spark a pride and interest in the people to make a volunteer fire dept.viable
Yep

United States

#59 Aug 15, 2012
big egg wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to set a budget but to help with community development as to where the funding might become available. It might also spark a pride and interest in the people to make a volunteer fire dept.viable
Totally agree with that
FYI

Counce, TN

#61 Aug 16, 2012
Yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Just wandering if you have ever thought of what the salary of 3 full-time fireman would cost? I'm just guessing but I would say 120,000 to 150,000 a tear combined. The only way a small city can afford something like that is to impose a city property tax which there would probably be 90percent to oppose it. Festivals are a very good idea but the city can't depend on that to set a budget with.
Selmers full time fireman only start out at 20,000 a year and I know one of the fireman that said he would do it for that and give an honest 40 hour work week plus be available 24/7 to Michie as a volunteer on top of that...so 24/7 full time firefighter. He is that dedicated. There are a few of the firefighters that do care bout Michie and the dept. and have talked to the mayors past and present and even the aldermen but guess they arent as interested in that but I know that the dept is one of the busyest in the county.
Sight

United States

#62 Aug 16, 2012
I still say we need more Slug Burger joints !!
Hahahaha
doug
#63 Aug 16, 2012
Yep wrote:
<quoted text>
oh no, these ideas are not to set a budget with, thats impossible, but the extra money could be used in other ways. For me, those ways first considered would be to help fund the fire dept. None of us, god forbid, wants our or our neighbors home to burn down, simply bc of lack of funds. All it takes is a little hard work, and ppl in this area are very hard workers. Second priority should be a police sub station. Surely there are some state agencies that can help in educating us on how to do this, what need to be done, and the proper channles to go through. a town as small as michie doesnt have the money to simply do this without raiseing property taxes, but it may come to that, and I for one had rather pay a little more in taxes to protect the lives of my family and my home if need be. Question is, if it came to that, would those extra taxes be used wisely on the above projects, or would the money be used foolishly. I think, and hope, that our city leaders would use it for the intended purposes.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 2 min Bayless 145,786
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 10 hr TheRealZeke 8,614
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 17 hr Clover_SpringNewt 9,315
zane wardlow (Jan '14) Wed truth 15
Witches In Miche (Mar '13) Aug 26 Yes 21
robert parker wreck Aug 24 lesa 1
what happened with cody glover (Jul '13) Aug 20 both yes both 18
•••
•••

Michie Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Michie People Search