Seeking Developer to Help Scrape Springboro Data

Posted in the Miamisburg Forum

“Civic Innovation Designer”

Since: Mar 11

Springboro, Ohio

#1 May 3, 2013
I've been a resident of Springboro since 2011 and have enjoyed learning more about my community from this discussion board. However, it seems that many of the most popular discussions aren't represented in our bi-weekly city counsel meetings, or anywhere in the local news. The discussions on Topix seems like too valuable of a resource to ignore.

As a customer advocate and user experience designer at LexisNexis, I imagine the impact of our collective sentiments would be much more powerful if they were visualized more clearly and presented to the counsel on a regular basis. Recently I have discovered ScraperWiki.com to help achieve the visualization, though my design background limits my ability to develop the scraper.

I'm looking for a local developer to help write a few lines of code which would scrape the data off this discussion board and display it in a more user-friendly format -- preferably one that can be included in a PowerPoint to present to the mayor and the members of city counsel.

If you or anyone you know might have the time and ability to help code a scraper for Springboro Topix, please let me know by responding to this message, or emailing me at springboro @ christopherritter . com.
been there done it

Fairborn, OH

#2 May 4, 2013
I can tell you a lot about the city council. If you're not on their page, that being the mayor's page, all you are going to get are polite head nods and will be forgotten the minute the council meeting is over.
maybenot

Englewood, OH

#3 May 4, 2013
been there done it wrote:
I can tell you a lot about the city council. If you're not on their page, that being the mayor's page, all you are going to get are polite head nods and will be forgotten the minute the council meeting is over.
Maybe you're just an idiot...that's always a possibility.
been there done it

Fairborn, OH

#5 May 5, 2013
maybenot wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you're just an idiot...that's always a possibility.
and perhaps you're one of the mayor's lap dogs..

“Civic Innovation Designer”

Since: Mar 11

Springboro, Ohio

#6 May 5, 2013
The last meeting I attended, one of the counsel members remembered my interest in technology, due to the fact that the time before, I had asked a question about how the new ordinances were being announced to the citizens, prompted an impromptu discussion after the meeting had ended.

What I discovered was a rift in our community, where the counsel members believe that most people aren't that interested in government until you raise taxes, which gets everyone riled up until its over then everyone disappears back into the wood works. And judging from the responses on this topic, it would seem that misconception goes both ways.

This discussion board has shown me that citizens put a lot of time and energy into researching the facts, but none of these discussions seem to have any weight at the decision making level. My personal beliefs are that is a feature of the current political system, not a bug. We created this rift using old technology, and financially support it's failures because we do not know any alternatives.

My hope is that by representing the sentiments of this board, and presenting it to city counsel, we might be able to put some of our efforts to good use.
Answer

Marengo, OH

#7 May 7, 2013
To start with, COUNCIL is spelled COUNCIL. The same sounding word, COUNSEL, means attorney.

Spelling things correctly is very important if you want to be taken seriously on these boards.

Typos are ok. Ignorance is not ok.

“Civic Innovation Designer”

Since: Mar 11

Springboro, Ohio

#8 May 7, 2013
Answer wrote:
To start with, COUNCIL is spelled COUNCIL. The same sounding word, COUNSEL, means attorney.
Thanks, man. Your proof reading skills are top notch.
interested

Youngstown, OH

#9 May 8, 2013
christopherritter wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, man. Your proof reading skills are top notch.
Now are you still interested in using the discussion(s) from this blog to affect policy? These are the kinds of people that want their "voices heard".

Because you referred to something incorrectly, you are "ignorant". Yeah, those are the kinds of people I want affecting policy.....
interested

Youngstown, OH

#10 May 8, 2013
christopherritter wrote:
The last meeting I attended, one of the counsel members remembered my interest in technology, due to the fact that the time before, I had asked a question about how the new ordinances were being announced to the citizens, prompted an impromptu discussion after the meeting had ended.
What I discovered was a rift in our community, where the counsel members believe that most people aren't that interested in government until you raise taxes, which gets everyone riled up until its over then everyone disappears back into the wood works. And judging from the responses on this topic, it would seem that misconception goes both ways.
This discussion board has shown me that citizens put a lot of time and energy into researching the facts, but none of these discussions seem to have any weight at the decision making level. My personal beliefs are that is a feature of the current political system, not a bug. We created this rift using old technology, and financially support it's failures because we do not know any alternatives.
My hope is that by representing the sentiments of this board, and presenting it to city counsel, we might be able to put some of our efforts to good use.
And I need to disagree with you on one point.....most people on this blog DO NOT take time to research facts. That is apparent with many of the comments. People like to repeat things they have heard, or believe is happening, when in reality, they don't have a clue what the facts are.
poundsand

Miamisburg, OH

#11 May 8, 2013
interested wrote:
<quoted text>
And I need to disagree with you on one point.....most people on this blog DO NOT take time to research facts. That is apparent with many of the comments. People like to repeat things they have heard, or believe is happening, when in reality, they don't have a clue what the facts are.
LOL. You just proved your own point.

“Civic Innovation Designer”

Since: Mar 11

Springboro, Ohio

#12 May 8, 2013
interested wrote:
People like to repeat things they have heard, or believe is happening, when in reality, they don't have a clue what the facts are.
To be honest with you, I take heart knowing that is how the system works when you give EVERYONE a voice. In statistics, this is referred to as the "long tail," where a small percentage of the people contribute content, alongside the majority who simply like and/or share what they've seen. When you cut off the long tail, you're left with a handful of people who think they know what's best for the community. Does that sound familiar?

The point of this thread isn't simply to find a local developer to work on some civic projects, but to raise awareness around an alternative to the two party system. Just imagine for a moment what would happen if we had the power to govern ourselves! If that sounds like a pipe dream, look at your screen and realize that people just like you are using the tools to do just that!

Yes, people are cruel. And yes, we've been trained to attack our neighbors in defense of our personal liberty. But I believe that we have a choice, not in a new party, but a new platform. If you have five minutes, I would ask you to watch this video which explains what we know about the power of online governance, and how to enact it in Springboro, Ohio.

focus

Fairborn, OH

#13 May 9, 2013
christopherritter wrote:
<quoted text>
To be honest with you, I take heart knowing that is how the system works when you give EVERYONE a voice. In statistics, this is referred to as the "long tail," where a small percentage of the people contribute content, alongside the majority who simply like and/or share what they've seen. When you cut off the long tail, you're left with a handful of people who think they know what's best for the community. Does that sound familiar?
The point of this thread isn't simply to find a local developer to work on some civic projects, but to raise awareness around an alternative to the two party system. Just imagine for a moment what would happen if we had the power to govern ourselves! If that sounds like a pipe dream, look at your screen and realize that people just like you are using the tools to do just that!
Yes, people are cruel. And yes, we've been trained to attack our neighbors in defense of our personal liberty. But I believe that we have a choice, not in a new party, but a new platform. If you have five minutes, I would ask you to watch this video which explains what we know about the power of online governance, and how to enact it in Springboro, Ohio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =fg0_Vhldz-8XX
Local developers are leery to work projects here in town. Why? The planning committee so strict with their own guidelines, they choke the crap out of any ideas that developers would like to incorporate into their projects.Once headed by the infamous Maria Belpusi, former council person, the planning committee has a well earned reputation as being hard to deal with.
interesting

Springboro, OH

#14 May 9, 2013
focus wrote:
<quoted text>
Local developers are leery to work projects here in town. Why? The planning committee so strict with their own guidelines, they choke the crap out of any ideas that developers would like to incorporate into their projects.Once headed by the infamous Maria Belpusi, former council person, the planning committee has a well earned reputation as being hard to deal with.
That's interesting. I have heard of many new projects coming in town so they must not be that bad to work with. And this guy isn't talking about "local developers" in the way you refer to them. Read his posts a little more closely. He is referring to computer/program developers.

“Civic Innovation Designer”

Since: Mar 11

Springboro, Ohio

#15 May 9, 2013
interesting wrote:
And this guy isn't talking about "local developers" in the way you refer to them. Read his posts a little more closely. He is referring to computer/program developers.
Note to self: The word 'developer' means something different outside the hallowed halls of technology.:)
interesting

Springboro, OH

#16 May 9, 2013
christopherritter wrote:
<quoted text>
Note to self: The word 'developer' means something different outside the hallowed halls of technology.:)
Yes it can, but clearly focus has an axe to grind with something or he completely read your post incorrectly (my guess is the former). Anyone with even half a brain could figure out you were referring to a "technology developer" and not a "land or business developer".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Miamisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 31,092
Concealed carry in Boro's schools - not a matte... (Jul '13) 8 hr Master Grand 71
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 20 hr Vic 231
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) Fri All Politics Are ... 31,274
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Sep 13 They cannot kill ... 191
Chris Seelbach, UC, XU students in Dayton reali... Sep 12 The Duke of Hazard 1
A NOTE TO ALL fake power companies Sep 8 long story short 2
•••
•••
Miamisburg Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Miamisburg Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Miamisburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Miamisburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Miamisburg
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••