Port Everglades will be home to world...

Port Everglades will be home to world's largest cruise ships

There are 39 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Nov 30, 2007, titled Port Everglades will be home to world's largest cruise ships. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Royal Caribbean has agreed to base both of its two new super-size cruise ships at Port Everglades year-round, ending months of competition for the business between the Broward County port and its Miami ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Curious

AOL

#1 Nov 30, 2007
With the expected impact of additional passengers on Port Everglades with the Genesis-class cruise ships, when is the county going to 'get it together' and bring Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport up to speed to match? The majority of the cruise ship passengers will be arriving and departing via FLL, which has had one of the worst ratings as far as delays, and a new runway MUST be added. Service all the way around must be overhauled and improved exponentially.

If the county wants to make Fort Lauderdale a memorable vacation destination, then it must turn FLL into a world-class airport. FLL will most likely be the last thing a cruise ship passenger experiences on their way out of South Florida, and could likely mean the difference as to whether they bring their money back here, or choose a lesser port with a better airport for convenience.
teacher2

United States

#2 Dec 1, 2007
I am in total agreement!
Billy Bob

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Dec 1, 2007
Me too!
my 2 cents

Miami, FL

#4 Dec 1, 2007
more airport means more noise and air pollution.
sweetie

AOL

#5 Dec 1, 2007
why bring the ships here at all,Browards small,the airport can't and shouldn't handle that traffic, nor can our roads.The cruise ship industry brings nothing to Broward except pollution and congestion.
get real

Pompano Beach, FL

#6 Dec 1, 2007
what's a little more pollution when there's all that money to consider?
On The Beach

Delray Beach, FL

#7 Dec 1, 2007
Fort Lauderdale - a nice place to live but I wouldn't want to visit here...
Delays

AOL

#8 Dec 1, 2007
With the current checkpoints required to enter Port Everglades, traffic is at a stand-still on busy weekends. How does the Port and BSO plan to address this concern?
Cruiser

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#9 Dec 1, 2007
I am an avid cruiser and huge Royal Caribbean fan. I was always and advocate of bringing the Genesis and Creation (at least one of the two) to Ft Lauderdale. But there is some misconception here.

a) Fort Lauderdale airport can handle the added passengers. Most outside cruisers arrive a day or two earlier and bring plenty of $$ into the southeast FL coffers through hotel stays, dinners and excursions. Most cruisers stay near port hotels.
Those arriving the day of the cruise are hardly adding any traffic. FLL and Port Everglades are very conveniently connected.

What the Sun Sentinel article not mentioned is that the Independence of the Seas (Freedom Class) of Royal Caribbean (currently build) will be positioned in Ft Lauderdale as well. After its inaugural cruise in Europe the Independence will arrive in November 2008.

With the Genesis Class (Genesis of the Seas in 2009; Creation of the Seas in 2010) and the Independence of the Freedom Class (2008) Port Everglades will be home to the three newest and by far largest cruise ships in 2010. Now add the Navigator of the Seas to it (Voyager class) Royal Caribbean places 4 of its biggest ships in Ft Lauderdale.

But here comes the problem: Port Everglades is by far from ready. The Navigator just got here after its transatlantic. Prior to Ft Lauderdale the Navigator was in Europe (summer) and Miami (winter). Now it's in Ft Lauderdale in winter. I just sailed the navigator on its second voyage in Ft Lauderdale and Port Everglades is NOT ready. Computer problems, luggage back up, confusion outside the terminal just to mention a few problems. They better get their act together or it will be a disaster of mega proportions.
Cruiser

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#10 Dec 1, 2007
Delays wrote:
With the current checkpoints required to enter Port Everglades, traffic is at a stand-still on busy weekends. How does the Port and BSO plan to address this concern?
The checkpoint is not so much a problem but rather terminal operations.
Good Christian

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#11 Dec 1, 2007
Will Phill Collins be preforming on the ships?
Camden Yard

Jonas Ridge, NC

#12 Dec 1, 2007
Kill the strangle hold that the taxis have on the airport and build a light rail between the airport and seaport. Skip the BSO checkpoint and pair people and their luggage for travel. It is simple and planned for, but Bekoff and the other cab company owners are stronger here than in Vegas...
Skeptical

Miami Beach, FL

#13 Dec 1, 2007
Lets break ground on a new first class terminal at FLL that can handle the influx of cruise passengers so they can leave with a positive impression. People laying all over the floors inside the terminals becomes and old sight. Also, how about some "real" restaurants.
Fisherman

Boca Raton, FL

#14 Dec 1, 2007
I hope all these people don't have to flush the toilet or take a shower while they travel through Broward to get on a ship that will take them to a relatively unspoiled, desirable tourist location. What will we do when the well runs dry?
THE REAL TRUTH

AOL

#15 Dec 1, 2007
Delays wrote:
ASK KENNY, OH I FORGOT HE IS IN JAIL, MAYBE THEY WILL JUST TAKE A FEW BUCKS TO LET YOU THREW, AND THEY ALL WILL BE HAPPY, AFTER ALL A LITTLE MORE GRAFT WON'T EVEN BE NOTICED WITH THE BSO!!!
Mass Transit

Hialeah, FL

#16 Dec 1, 2007
Now is the time to add a light rail system from the airport to the cruiseport.
Freq FLyer

Pompano Beach, FL

#17 Dec 1, 2007
I fly A LOT, and FLL needs a separate terminal for the departing cruise ship passengers. The airport is a disaster on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday - with hoards of people waiting outside until they can get through security.
At a minimum, they should investigate a way of having luggage checked through from the Port.
More Destruction

Powder Springs, GA

#18 Dec 1, 2007
We already know the majority of cruise passengers do not spend money in Broward. The Port is in need of refurbishing for the cruise passengers. Right now they stand in the heat waiting to board the boat with nothing to offer. Broward is far from being a "world class" destination. The public at large that believes that propoganda will be paying even higher taxes, have the same income and won't have any water to drink. Wake up Broward. These people have destroyed our way of life. Do you really think bringing more people thru here is going to up your quality of life???
We don't need a bigger airport. We don't need a bigger port.
Stop the madness and corruption now. In case anyone hasn't noticed we are heading into a big recession. Who is going to be able to afford a cruise?
boy stabbed in eyes

United States

#20 Dec 1, 2007
why cannot we comment on the article? why cant we say that the caregiver should be stabbed in both eyes, and hung from the rafters?

why cant we say that the sick relatives that let this poor boy go 10hours without medical help, basically blinding him, they should all be arrested.
Why cannot we talk about a bank to get funds for future care of this precious little boy?
why?
Boca Bill

United States

#21 Dec 1, 2007
Mmmm, after a year RCL can move both ships. Just watch, when the passenger load at Fort Lauderdale Airport can't handle the volume, provide adequate transportation, port facilites overloaded, and increased port traffic, RCL will relocate the ships to Miami and transfer other ships to Port Everglades. And who wants to pay an additonal 22.80 dollars to off set the new terminal on top of the already port fee being charged?? Another question, why is Port Everglades ranked behind Port Caraveral in the cruise industry??

I cruise alot and still willing to travel to Miami.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Miami Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay/Bi teens in Florida (Jul '16) 5 hr Markus 75
-Can-nabis -co-caine- he-roin op-ium ecs-tasy c... Sat Repndre 1
News Activists protest end of TPS protection for Sal... Fri lost 2
New in Town Fri nono 2
Message For Hell's Angel's Miami Chap. / Florid... (Jun '12) Jan 19 ADAM THE MACHO LI... 109
Adam the Macho Lifeguard to play "Dick Saltine... Jan 18 Wheelchair Wave R... 1
money Jan 17 moneygrubbingho 5

Miami Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Miami Mortgages